Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Yahoo Sports: No star state - Houston, you have a problem

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ug=cr-winnerslosers042906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

"I realize [the frustration] and I think that's going to be a temporary situation," McNair said. "It's up to us to go out and win football games. We win football games, and they are going to say, 'You made the right decision.' If we don't win football games, they say, 'You're stupid.' "

Therein lies the reality. For now, Williams walks into Houston in triumph and McNair returns in public relations defeat. Whether it stays that way has everything to do with the 2006 wins and losses that have yet to be counted.

Picking Williams was all about winning football games. The FO knew in advance that this was going to be a public relations black eye, but they picked on need instead of hype.

I had this encounter a few minutes ago with my neighbor. Nice guy - 25-26 years old. Born near Dallas so he roots for the Cowboys.

"No Bush" he yells as I ride past on my bike.

I pull up to **** chat for a minute. (nice censoring of the word spelled c h i t)

"Yeah, quite a surprise," I said. Lot's of upset fans but Mario should be a very good player."

"Who?"

"Mario Williams"

"What's he play?"

"Um... defensive line"

"Oh." "Well, my teams are Dallas and Tennessee now."

"What a bandwagoner"

"Yeah, that's me." "I might have rooted for the Texans if they had picked Bush." "They really screwed up that one. Tennessee all the way now buddy"

"You'll jump on the bandwagon when they start winning."

"Maybe .... Who did Dallas pick?"

"Aren't you a Dallas fan?"

"Yeah but I don't follow it as close as you do"

"Oh, in that case, they got no one special"

"Dang, he said."

aj. said:
I had this encounter a few minutes ago with my neighbor. Nice guy - 25-26 years old. Born near Dallas so he roots for the Cowboys.

"No Bush" he yells as I ride past on my bike.

I pull up to **** chat for a minute. (nice censoring of the word spelled c h i t)

"Yeah, quite a surprise," I said. Lot's of upset fans but Mario should be a very good player."

"Who?"

"Mario Williams"

"What's he play?"

"Um... defensive line"

"Oh." "Well, my teams are Dallas and Tennessee now."

"What a bandwagoner"

"Yeah, that's me." "I might have rooted for the Texans if they had picked Bush." "They really screwed up that one. Tennessee all the way now buddy"

"You'll jump on the bandwagon when they start winning."

"Maybe .... Who did Dallas pick?"

"Aren't you a Dallas fan?"

"Yeah but I don't follow it as close as you do"

"Oh, in that case, they got no one special"

"Dang, he said."

HA HA HA HA, what a d-bag

Bobby Carpenter, (son of one of my favorite old Oilers players) a LB from Ohio State was their first and best pick. My neighbor wouldn't have known who he was anyway so I just downplayed it....

Alot of people are so caught up in what I call Instant Gratification Syndrome. They feel their needs should be met, and met now.

Reserving judgement and showing patience is just out of style I guess. But Kudos to the orginization for having the guts to make the pick they did, without a doubt they are trying to build this team for the long term, and they did it in the face of adversity.

The only true measure of success will be time, and I personally can wait to see how it pans out while rooting for the team, I have said all along that I would be supportive of the Texans no matter who they pick, and that is what I WILL do.

I think we had a great draft, just because we didn't select who I thought we were doesn't change that. I have faith in the Texan's, and last time I checked, There are no guarantees in life, especially in the draft.

we had to go ugly sometime in the history of this franchise.. it is catch 22 , you don't take care of the trenches and draft nothing but flashy guys, what does that do for you?

I'm with you, Wolf. I don't know how many games over the past 4 years that I've watched and kept saying to myself

"We're fine on the skill positions. We need a draft where we just take OL and DL." Yeah, I know it's an overstatement, but I've gotten tired of watching these guys get their heads handed to 'em. We never have had any depth in those areas. I'm glad we finally have a coach with some football sense that knows that games are won in the trenches.

It's called conventional wisdom. Bud never had it. He's lucked out by hiring some good football guys, but I'd like to see what the Oilers/Titans win/loss ratio is throughout their history.

If some national writers think "Houston has a problem," let 'em. Better than the problem we had in December.

Since when was picking Bush not about winning games? My God, some of you guys are getting warped perceptions. People wanted Bush because they thought he would help the team more in the long run.

So, because it's an unsexy pick, that must make it a smart pick. Yeah, okay. Whatever.

I think people need to reread what McNair said again, too. He says it'll be a good move IF they win games. If the Saints end up winning more games than the Texans, then guess what? It was still the wrong move.

Double Barrel said:
Picking Williams was all about winning football games. The FO knew in advance that this was going to be a public relations black eye, but they picked on need instead of hype.

Well said!!!! :yahoo:

Battle Red Bull said:
I'm with you, Wolf. I don't know how many games over the past 4 years that I've watched and kept saying to myself

"We're fine on the skill positions. We need a draft where we just take OL and DL." Yeah, I know it's an overstatement, but I've gotten tired of watching these guys get their heads handed to 'em. We never have had any depth in those areas. I'm glad we finally have a coach with some football sense that knows that games are won in the trenches.

It's called conventional wisdom. Bud never had it. He's lucked out by hiring some good football guys, but I'd like to see what the Oilers/Titans win/loss ratio is throughout their history.

If some national writers think "Houston has a problem," let 'em. Better than the problem we had in December.

you know I hated it when the oilers drafted linemen in the mid to late 90's.. I wanted the flashy guys.. yet what did munchak,mathews and steinkuhler do for them.. it helped make the team a force in the AFC (eventhough we didn't win a super bowl) we had many wins and were put in position to make a run at the super bowl year in and year out for a while

Double Barrel said:

It always has been about winning football games. You've got to admit the FO (McNair on down) does more "flip-flopping" than John Kerry. If it's about defense why not start that way from the beginning (Carr/Peppers). Also, did we forget about Babin and Peek. For the love of God, we gave our division rival 3 picks in a draft for Jason Babin. JASON FREAKING BABIN. Ok, now i'm venting. Sorry in advance.

Back