Worst player in franchise history?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanSam, Jul 14, 2007.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Who, in your opinion, is the worst player in franchise history? There's bundles to choose from, but who do you think is the worst.

It came down between Victor Riley and Matt Stevens for me but I have to go with Stevens. If he's not one of the worst safety's ever to play in the NFL, he's pretty darn close.

2. Bull Pen 1

Bull Pen 1 Hall of Fame

Ok, I'll say it, how about a few:

Tony Bosolli
    Phillip Bucannon
    id arr

3. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

I have to go with Travis Johnson.

Why he is still on the team amazes me...

4. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

Tony Bosolli

are we talking about for the texans?

5. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think you should establish at least one piece of criteria before making this call. I think the player must have appeared in at least 32 games (two full seasons worth) or started at least 16 games in order to be considered.

I've never considered Boselli a Texan so I couldn't say that about him. Also I think that if he could have played he would have played and he would have instantly been our best offensive lineman ever.

Victor Riley didn't appear in enough games to count in my opinion. Matt Stevens was pretty bad but I have always felt that he was the scape goat for a poor bunch of linebackers. I'm not saying he wasn't a bad safety. There was a reason why Stevens was available in the expansion draft. I just think that he was the "finisher" on a lot of bad plays that started coming apart long before he got involved.

Phillip Buchanon might be my choice but he was only here for one season and only appeared in 10 games. If I wasn't looking for someone with at least 16 starts or 32 games played in then Phillip would definitely be the guy.

Since I am looking for someone who was here a while I'm going to go with boneheaded Jay Foreman. The "weak link" of our LB's. He had a ton of tackles and almost all of them were 3-5 yards farther back than you would have wanted. When he left here he couldn't make the roster in Oakland, then latched on to the Giants followed by the 49ers. Sum total accomplishments since leaving here? 3 games appeared in and one tackle. He doesn't sack anybody, pick anybody, or stop anybody.

We started him for what? three years?

If it's not Jay Foreman then Stevens gets it. If Schaub just tears it up next year then I think you could make a case for David Carr getting it.

Koolaid Time likes this.
  6. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

Weak link... try "Missing Link".....

If he couldn't make the roster for the Raiders then... he was truly worthless

But I think he did qualify for NFL Pension benefits...

7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

depends on contract wise to performance wise

Jermaine lewis was making some cheese
    todd wade was making some cheese also

more players than that

and i am not trying to pick on them for it was the team that paid them that

8. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

worst player last year, jameel cook, 2 bad plays cost to games

9. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    Stevens for me followed by PBuc.

Wasn't convinced by Robaire Smith either - dont remember him doing much for the cash he was given. And what about Todd Wade?

10. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I gotta go with PBuc, if his 10 games count.

I have a possible defense for Foreman (albeit a weak one):

Foreman was IIRC aging and losing stepS. The way I remember it (and I could just be wrong), he wasn't so bad for the first couple of years, but got old and too slow in a hurry. Or, maybe it just took me a while to notice his ineptitude. I was pretty lenient those first 2.5 years, as long as the team seemed to be improving overall.

A few other possibilities:

Wand, McKinney (at center, but he's apparently gotten better), Mack, Bradford, Cook, Babin, Peak, last year's SAM, last year's #2 corner (names starting not to come to me), CC Brown at FS, etc.

11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

On offense, it's a tie between Demingo Graham and Jimmy Herndon. On defense, I'll go with Matt Stevens or Travis Johnson.

12. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Jabar Gaffney

Chosen at the top of a very good 2nd round in 2002. The worst part being that he was taken over Clinton Portis.

Travis Johnson
    Bust

13. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

Stevens was bad but like it was said before he was expansion draft material. Expectations weren't very high for him.

I'm thinking P-Burnt or Babin. The reason being is that the expectations for these guys was very high and what they cost us. There definitely has been worse players on this team but we gave up a lot of picks for these two guys.

I might even mention Carr because of him being the #1 pick and not panning out for us.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Tough question, a real stumper since there's been so many.

15. techrecruit1

techrecruit1 Guest

Tony Bosolli - without hesitation

16. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I would put him in the mix, i'm leary of Florida WRs.

I'll go with Stevens though.

Here's to hoping Travis shows up this year. I don't think anyone liked that pick.

17. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

Buchanon hands down. When he leaped out of the way of a charging Larry Johnson at the goal line that pretty much sealed it for me.

18. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

That was 209 lb. Willie Parker....unless I'm forgetting another one.

I could somewhat understand him not wanting to front a charging 230 lb LJ, but even that's unforgiveable. Dive at his ankles or something....

NFL-N has been replaying that Packers-Raiders game from a couple years back - the one where Favre's dad had just passed away and Favre, Driver, Walker and the rest were making toast out of P-burnt all night long. For return on 'investment' P-burnt is right up there. It's definitely a Top 5 bonehead front office move - and that's a tough Top 5 list to get on considering all the candidates.

19. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Stevens - no contest. /thread

20. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Stevens was bad but P-Burnt is definitely right up there. I will not include Boselli since he didn't even play a down.