Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

WolverineFan's Texans Mock Draft (v1.0)

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
This mock is done under the impression that we return Mallett next year on a short term deal. Under that circumstance, I don't see much reason in drafting a QB next year when you're giving Mallett a shot and you already have Savage developing on the bench. I'm focused on improving the team around those guys instead.

1) Ronnie Stanley – OT, Notre Dame* (6-5, 315)
- I see OT as a huge need for us going forward. Newton is not progressing and Brown doesn’t appear to be the dominant player he once was. I address that with this pick. Stanley is a prototype. Has everything you want for the position when looking for a franchise OT. Was Zack Martin’s backup at LT as a true freshman and started all 13 games at RT as a sophomore. Has started every game at LT this season and surrendered zero pressures in big games against Stanford, Arizona State, and Florida State and was very impressive against USC. It’s a crime that he’s going so under the radar while a guy like Ogbuehi is getting top-20 hype. Only issue is if he comes out this year. Notre Dame tends to return a lot of players and not send a lot of underclassmen into the draft. I hope he comes out because I have him as the #2 OT behind only Andrus Peat.

ronnie-stanley-left-tackle.jpg

2) Derron Smith – S, Fresno State (5-11, 197)
- The Safety position is becoming a very valuable position in the current NFL and teams are utilizing more 3-Safety sets in Nickel packages to combat the spread offense. We really need to upgrade here as we have no depth behind Lewis/Swearinger and Swag is already a liability in coverage. Smith is a 2-time all-conference player (soon to be 3-time) and was the conference DPOY last year as a junior. He has 14 INT’s, 21 PBU’s, and 11.5 TFL over the last 3 seasons. I liken him to a poor man’s Earl Thomas because of his versatility and combination of coverage ability, ball skills, and ability in run support.

Derron-Smith.jpg

3) Senquez Golson – CB, Ole Miss (5-9, 175)
- Our depth at CB has been improved, but this is still a need position and we need to upgrade the overall talent. Some may not be excited about a slot CB so early, but I’m looking for playmakers. Also, adding a guy like Golson would allow Jackson to move back outside in Nickel packages and solidify the pass coverage across the field. Golson may be undersized, but he’s a great athlete with top notch instincts and ball skills. He has 14 INT’s, 16 PBU’s, and 6 TFL over the last 3 seasons.

1412476306000-tcl-6hbzal719x31ckt1t81j-original.jpg

4) Taiwan Jones – ILB, Michigan State (6-2, 252)
- ILB is our biggest need on defense and we all would probably like to see it addressed before this, but I aimed for playmakers in the secondary first. However, Jones is no consolation prize. He’s a freak athlete with a great frame. I said last year that I thought he would be a better pro than teammate Max Bullough and I stick to that. Bullough was a great run stuffing LB but he was limited outside of the box (not unlike the current incarnation of Cushing). Jones, however, can make plays all over the field and is great in space. He’s good in coverage and is improving against the run. He has 119 Tackles, 18 TFL, 4 Sacks, and 1 INT over the last 2 years.

usatsi8054391.jpg

5) Jamil Douglas – OG, Arizona State (6-4, 303)
- I want to keep addressing the O-Line. Su’a-Filo has made some development over the last few weeks and may be a viable starter at OG next year. We also may move Ben Jones to Center and lose Chris Myers as a cap casualty. We’ll need to keep adding depth to the interior line. Douglas is a powerful in-line blocker much like Su’a-Filo and Brooks and I feel he fits the mold of what O’Brien wants on the O-Line. He started at OG as a sophomore and junior before sliding over to LT as a senior. Was 2nd team All-Pac-12 as a junior and is likely to be named all-conference as a senior.

1246117.jpg

6) Jamison Crowder – WR, Duke (5-9, 175)
- We need a Slot WR. Damaris Johnson has shown some things but he’s more of a slash playmaker and utility weapon than a guy we can rely on to consistently move the chains. Keshawn Martin isn’t that guy and it’s about time we replaced him. Crowder is your ideal slot WR in every aspect except for his size. He is not a big guy. However, I liken him to a poor man’s Antonio Brown because of his ability to create separation with quickness and to make contested catches in spite of his size. He has 262 catches for 3376 yards and 22 TD’s over the last 3 years. He’s also added 3 punt return TD’s. All of this despite being the only guy worth game planning for on Duke’s offense.

BVYHUBUDUQCXBKV.20121021044555.jpg

7) Jermauria Rasco – OLB, LSU (6-3, 247)
- I think we need to keep adding to the LB corp. Despite his talent, Rasco doesn’t have the length or explosive pass rush ability that is highly coveted by NFL teams. He’s sort of reminiscent of Jackson Jeffcoat in this regard. He is a much better player than his “draft stock” would indicate. He is a polished and complete player who has the frame to hold up in the run game and the athleticism required to play the edge and cover RB’s and TE’s in space. I see him as a guy to develop behind Reed at SLB. He has 12 TFL, 8 Sacks, 5 PBU, and 2 FF’s over the last 2 years.

3213691.jpg

Again I don't know the players, but love the positions selected and your write ups give me something to go on. Sure hope a couple of those guys are real speed burners

I only really know Crowder in this draft, and I love that pick. He wrecked A&M during the CFA Peach Bowl game last year and nearly won them the game if not for a tipped pass by Deshazor Everett.

Other than that returning Mallett I agree with your picks and like the rounds. I'll have to do my homework on Taiwan Jones.

1. Stanley would be excellent addition if available. The solidifier!
2. How does Fresno produce so many excellent safeties? Been trying to fit a true FS with 2nd rd. pick & he fits mold.
3. Generally shy away from smaller corners, but Senquez Golson is a playmaker with requisite instincts for position.
4. Taiwan Jones is a really good ILB prospect, again if available would be a great pick.
5. Jamil Douglas is going to be a very good guard, adding depth & versatility. Solid pick.
6. Like Fresno, Duke produces sleeper WR prospects. Would like to see Texans go big/fast earlier to replace Andre sooner than later.
7. Not sure we take another LB but 7th rd. is great value. Have to check what Miles says about him with interest.

Overall great players where you have them slotted. Of course Stanley should be off the board, rest doable. I'm big on adding a quality DL & RB, spread the board seeing a lot of multiplicity. OF course excellent work as always :handshake:

Ronnie Stanley – OT, Notre Dame

Admittedly, I haven't scouted Stanley much. He stood out to me when I watched Notre Dame play Louisville but for some reason I thought he was a true sophomore and wasn't draft eligible. Hopefully he doesn't shoot up the board like Greg Robinson did last year, because this isn't a great OT class this year.

Derron Smith – FS, Fresno State

Great safety prospect. True centerfielder, which is something our defense could really use. We really lack coverage ability at Safety.

Senquez Golson – CB, Ole Miss

Very underrated right now due to his size. Lock down in man coverage and a ball hawk. He'll probably never be a starting corner but he could be our nickel guy for a long time, and you need one of those in the current NFL.

Taiwan Jones – ILB, Michigan State

Another guy who doesn't get the hype he deserves. Would be a very good compliment to Cushing in the middle.

Jamil Douglas – OG, Arizona State

A TexansTalk favorite right here. He's a guy I like as well. Versatile, tough player.

Jamison Crowder – WR, Duke

Great replacement for Martin. They do all the same things but Crowder does them better.

Jermauria Rasco – OLB, LSU

Good player who flashes on film but is just surrounded by better players. One of the rare 7th round players who could make an impact in his first year in the league.

-----
All in all, this is fantastic work as usual. We have similar grades on all these guys, and they are all guys I have had my eye on for the Texans as well.

I think it's pretty clear that you have the best eye for college talent on this board, so I appreciate your contributions. I learn something nearly every time you post.

Again I don't know the players, but love the positions selected and your write ups give me something to go on. Sure hope a couple of those guys are real speed burners

Golson is a burner. Smith, Jones, and Rasco are all very good athletes for their positions. Crowder has exceptional short area quickness but lacks the long speed most people covet in smaller WR’s (i.e. Hilton/Jackson). Both OL are above average athletes.

Team speed is definitely something that we need to address in the draft but we also need to make sure that we’re selecting talented players at the same time.

1. Stanley would be excellent addition if available. The solidifier!
2. How does Fresno produce so many excellent safeties? Been trying to fit a true FS with 2nd rd. pick & he fits mold.
3. Generally shy away from smaller corners, but Senquez Golson is a playmaker with requisite instincts for position.
4. Taiwan Jones is a really good ILB prospect, again if available would be a great pick.
5. Jamil Douglas is going to be a very good guard, adding depth & versatility. Solid pick.
6. Like Fresno, Duke produces sleeper WR prospects. Would like to see Texans go big/fast earlier to replace Andre sooner than later.
7. Not sure we take another LB but 7th rd. is great value. Have to check what Miles says about him with interest.

Overall great players where you have them slotted. Of course Stanley should be off the board, rest doable. I'm big on adding a quality DL & RB, spread the board seeing a lot of multiplicity. OF course excellent work as always :handshake:

Yea #12 is the fringe of where Stanley would go. I contemplated going WR in the 3rd round but went CB. If we do choose to address the Andre issue then this would be the year to do it. This WR class is loaded. Also thought about adding DL but went OL and OLB late. Thought about RB, because this class is loaded, but with Foster/Blue/Grimes it seemed more appropriate to address other needs.

Appreciate your input as always.

You gave me a bunch of names that I'm not familiar with yet, but I like the positions chosen and where you chose them. I also like the fact you double dipped at LB and O-line, definite positions in need of depth.

My only issue is the OT in the 1st round. If we do go for a RT in this draft, a good RT can usually be found in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft. Why so early? I think we'll re-sign Newton to a minimal contract extension since he's been decent/good this year now that he's finally healthy. No need in creating a new hole that will need to be filled. Of course this all depends on the money value involved here.

Last edited:
I like this draft a lot. It solves the OL problem, adds depth at LB and has a true ball hawk at Safety. However I do believe speed is needed badly at the WR position and TE. While the defense has been good, the offense needs speed badly.

well uh...it is a very surprising mock for me coming from you. I think you are really reaching for all. I don't think Stanley is rated higher than round three by anyone. Best he returns and ND is good at retaining. A 5'9 corner in NFL against today's WR better have a great vertical or carry an extension ladder or springs in his shoes. Major reason Olomu is dropping. As you know, I am Jamil Douglas godfather bringing him to MB. He reminds me of another favorite from a previous draft Gabe Jackson. I think he could go in 5th but also is dropping. I have had him on my mock a while.

Looking forward to your next presentation!

Admittedly, I haven't scouted Stanley much. He stood out to me when I watched Notre Dame play Louisville but for some reason I thought he was a true sophomore and wasn't draft eligible. Hopefully he doesn't shoot up the board like Greg Robinson did last year, because this isn't a great OT class this year.

He's starting to get some hype behind him now and once people dig into him I think he sky rockets. The main issue seems to be that many people think he's a sophomore and not a junior so he's not on the radar for some right now.

Great safety prospect. True centerfielder, which is something our defense could really use. We really lack coverage ability at Safety.

Yes, I think that's the biggest issue from this defense making the next jump. Elite defenses have playmakers in the secondary.

Very underrated right now due to his size. Lock down in man coverage and a ball hawk. He'll probably never be a starting corner but he could be our nickel guy for a long time, and you need one of those in the current NFL.

Yes, slot CB is becoming a very important issue in every defense. Just look at how bad our defense was with Brice McCain for confirmation. It's basically a starting position at this point.

Another guy who doesn't get the hype he deserves. Would be a very good compliment to Cushing in the middle.

I agree. I can't explain why he's not getting any hype while a guy like Drummond (who really struggled this year) is.

A TexansTalk favorite right here. He's a guy I like as well. Versatile, tough player.

He's virtually a clone of Su'a-Filo. Doesn't move quite as well and doesn't show the same elite road grading skills. But they look very similar.

Great replacement for Martin. They do all the same things but Crowder does them better.

Yep. We really need to upgrade on Martin. He's contributed nothing to this team for too long. At least Posey has been injured and in the dog house. Martin has had every opportunity and has yet to produce.

Good player who flashes on film but is just surrounded by better players. One of the rare 7th round players who could make an impact in his first year in the league.

I think he's a much better player than a 7th round pick, but the way the league is trending if you're an undersized tweener without exceptional movement skills then teams just fly right by.

All in all, this is fantastic work as usual. We have similar grades on all these guys, and they are all guys I have had my eye on for the Texans as well.

I think it's pretty clear that you have the best eye for college talent on this board, so I appreciate your contributions. I learn something nearly every time you post.

I don't know about all that but I appreciate the kind words. MSR.

You gave me a bunch of names that I'm not familiar with yet, but I like the positions chosen and where you chose them. I also like the fact you double dipped at LB and O-line, definite positions in need of depth.

My only issue is the OT in the 1st round. If we do go for a RT in this draft, a good RT can usually be found in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft. Why so early? I think we'll re-sign Newton to a minimal contract extension since he's been decent/good this year now that he's finally healthy. No need in creating a new hole that will need to be filled. Of course this all depends on the money value involved here.

I understand the concern, but I'm not going for RT. Stanley is a prototype LT. Newton not progressing gives us a need at RT that he could fill, but this pick is an eventual Brown replacement. Brown has really struggled this year and if he and Newton both continue down this path we will be in big trouble at OT soon.

That might sound contradictory (because I was against taking a RT at #1 last year) but that's because...

1) I didn't see Robinson or Matthews as long term solutions at LT. You were drafting a RT #1. With Stanley, you're drafting a LT that might just play RT in his first year or so.

2) That was before Brown's play started going downhill. It's a much bigger need now.

I like this draft a lot. It solves the OL problem, adds depth at LB and has a true ball hawk at Safety. However I do believe speed is needed badly at the WR position and TE. While the defense has been good, the offense needs speed badly.

That is not lost on me but I think it's important to shore up the defensive skill positions first. They take longer to develop.

As for TE, I just don't see where we fit one in. We have 3 TE's on the roster and I see those same guys coming back next year. Only way we look for an upgrade is if we cut Graham to find a more athletic option at Move TE.

well uh...it is a very surprising mock for me coming from you. I think you are really reaching for all. I don't think Stanley is rated higher than round three by anyone. Best he returns and ND is good at retaining. A 5'9 corner in NFL against today's WR better have a great vertical or carry an extension ladder or springs in his shoes. Major reason Olomu is dropping. As you know, I am Jamil Douglas godfather bringing him to MB. He reminds me of another favorite from a previous draft Gabe Jackson. I think he could go in 5th but also is dropping. I have had him on my mock a while.

Looking forward to your next presentation!

Appreciate your thoughts but a couple things...

Who is anyone? Walter? They might not have Stanley rated 1st round yet, but trust me they will. The draftnik community is usually behind because most of them get their evaluations from other people. As Playoffs stated earlier in this thread, he's starting to "blow up" lately. Also, a lot of people think he's a sophomore for some reason.

As for Golson, people make too much fuss about size at CB. That's how guys like Brandon Flowers end up getting cut despite going to pro-bowls. They are expendable because they don't fit the prototype. It's about ability, size is a plus not a prerequisite. Brandon Boykin and Tyrann Mathieu are 5'9 and they are widely considered the top slot CB's in the entire league.

Olomu is "falling" because of size concerns, not ability concerns. Same thing happened with Verrett last year. Meanwhile, San Diego is starting two 5'9 CB's in Flowers and Verrett and have zero CB's taller than 5'11 yet they have the 7th ranked pass defense in the league.

Appreciate your thoughts but a couple things...

Who is anyone? Walter? They might not have Stanley rated 1st round yet, but trust me they will. The draftnik community is usually behind because most of them get their evaluations from other people. As Playoffs stated earlier in this thread, he's starting to "blow up" lately. Also, a lot of people think he's a sophomore for some reason.

Awesome post. Perfect example of this would be Robinson last year. The people watching the games had him flying up the board into the early 1st round before the season even ended. But in internet mock drafts he was a 2nd rounder or not even listed.

It wasn't until after the bowl games that draftniks started to really climb him up into the top five.

As for Golson, people make too much fuss about size at CB. That's how guys like Brandon Flowers end up getting cut despite going to pro-bowls. They are expendable because they don't fit the prototype. It's about ability, size is a plus not a prerequisite. Brandon Boykin and Tyrann Mathieu are 5'9 and they are widely considered the top slot CB's in the entire league.

Olomu is "falling" because of size concerns, not ability concerns. Same thing happened with Verrett last year. Meanwhile, San Diego is starting two 5'9 CB's in Flowers and Verrett and have zero CB's taller than 5'11 yet they have the 7th ranked pass defense in the league.

Totally agree. Nobody said a word about size until Seattle won the Super Bowl that way. What everybody ignores is that Seattle's FS is the key to their defense, not the CBs. The reason Seattle's CBs can be so physical is because they know they have help over the top, no matter where they are. Earl Thomas is that good.

Like most positions, having a big CB is nice. But I'd rather have a good one than a big one.

Awesome post. Perfect example of this would be Robinson last year. The people watching the games had him flying up the board into the early 1st round before the season even ended. But in internet mock drafts he was a 2nd rounder or not even listed.

It wasn't until after the bowl games that draftniks started to really climb him up into the top five.

Totally agree. Nobody said a word about size until Seattle won the Super Bowl that way. What everybody ignores is that Seattle's FS is the key to their defense, not the CBs. The reason Seattle's CBs can be so physical is because they know they have help over the top, no matter where they are. Earl Thomas is that good.

Like most positions, having a big CB is nice. But I'd rather have a good one than a big one.
True and if Texans had a Thomas I could go a smaller corner..but they do not. And who would not rather have a better player than bigger at any position..but not talking about that. Bigger and as good is what I would aim for.

As far as draftnics, most large public ones like CBS and ESPN cannot follow that many players and often adjust ranking 2-3 weeks and others like us probably follow only so many due to limited ability to watch games and film. I often have 2-3 games on at one time and no way get to focus on as much as needed so we have to use others opinions.

Anyways, enjoy the discussion and input from everyone.

Back