Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Will the real Jonathan Joseph please stand up

amazing80

Hall of Fame
When we first signed JJo, he was a beast. Great in coverage, good tackle, good mentor. But last year he was banged up and got burned a LOT. Plus didn't seem to be able to help out our other corners improve, Jackson did, but he had no where to go but up from his previous play.

My point is, who is the real Joseph? The guy who was borderline shut down, or the guy who can't defend number 2 wide outs? The guy who is a solid tackler or the guy who is timid to hit someone? If he continues to struggle (Miami and now Saints) we could be in for a long year vs the pass again. Hopefully for our teams sake he gets his act together quickly.

Its definitely something to watch. But he stated he was healthy now and last year could be the off/injury year still as we haven't played any meaningful snaps yet. He is a vet, and may just be jealous Reed got to chill in Vail over the weekend.

Our entire secondary has been suspect in my opinion.
I've been worried about it since Ponder last year..

JJo looks iffy, Keo is a MESS, and Reed is up on cinder blocks
in the Texans driveway..

TJ

From what I can see this preseason he hasn't been giving maximum effort. It bothers me some, but at the same time I'm ok with it. He just better step it up when the real bullets start flying.

Let's just face it guys..

We are a pressure blitzing defense, if you don't get to the QB they are going to hit big, that's our game. Hit the qb, hit him again, and again and again.. No JJ Watt tonight, Earl went out early, and we stopped hitting Brees after the 1 quarter.

That is why we have tougher times against the great QB's they get the ball out fast, and in good positions to make it very difficult for our CBs.

We are a pressure blitzing defense, if you don't get to the QB they are going to hit big, that's our game. Hit the qb, hit him again, and again and again.. No JJ Watt tonight, Earl went out early, and we stopped hitting Brees after the 1 quarter.

That is why we have tougher times against the great QB's they get the ball out fast, and in good positions to make it very difficult for our CBs.

In a blitzing defense, you need corners who can cover for a few seconds.

I been thinking the same WTF is wrong w him? Seems like KJ is always on top of his man and JJo and no where near he's man....

Is he being overconfident?

Hopefully when game 1 of RS begins we will see a huge uptick in all players. Tate and Crick as well as Jefferson impressed. Jean is looking better also; 2/2 18 yd avg.

Hopefully when everyone is back we can blitz less. With the players we have we should be able to consistently get pressure with 4 and 5 man rushes.

On the play he got turned around on, he wasn't even set for the play. He was talking to someone. Definately not pro bowl caliber so far.

A rookie turned him around. Yeah I'm concerned.

It was ugly. I don't Joseph is Albert hayneworthing it. I do think the injuries and lack of confidence are a factor. I can only hope that a healthy d with pressure on the QB can make up for the defensive backfield.

Am I seriously the only one that sees he's giving half effort right now? It was really evident on the TD, but even on some other plays you could tell he's not going all out. If this carries on into regular season then I'll be pissed, but right now I can see he's really not going full tilt. I'm just assuming he doesn't want to hurt himself before the season starts so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Definitely a scrub bust who should be cut immediately to "send a message". Would probably give us cap savings too.

I just don't think J. Jo. cares much about a backup QB and covering a backup WR in a preseason game. We were seeing the same lack of effort from Tate until today. Seems the preseason media either got to him or at least one of the coaches must've said something, or possibly he just values game 3 more; but, for whatever reason, Tate decided to show up today. It makes a big difference. But, technically at least, Tate is a backup....and J. Jo. still doesn't care about preseason.

I don't see any reason why J. Jo. would perform even worse (much worse, actually) right now than he did in the playoffs last year....unless he just isn't into it.

Some of these guys whose position is in no doubt are mostly just concerned about not getting hurt (right now).

Ok listen up ladies....:kitten:

This is pre season, soldiers who are having war games, dont kill eachother then. They wait until the real war starts ;)

I'm giving JJo the benefit of the doubt, and hoping that he's just one of those veterans who can't get too enthusiastic about preseason games.

I hope that's the case because we will need him in top form in the regular season.

I'll be more concerned if in the regular season it becomes a problem.

I'm more worried about Keo being on the field at any point in the game. A cardboard cut out of JJo makes me feel better than Keo in the backfield. I watched him during the game yesterday, and he takes terrible angles on the ball, never seems to be in the right place, and doesn't seem to be able to tackle well. He almost ended Mays' season yesterday.

I would be happy if we cut him and bring someone else in. We don't need Keo as the #2

I know JJo gave up an ugly TD, but KJ took a few lumps too. However, there were a couple few plays where Brees just did what he does and dropped it in the basket with good coverage.

That TD was ugly though. Pre-season or not, he can't feel too good about that one

No that was Mays missing yet another bad tackle, followed up with Keo missing the tackle and then taking out Mays in the process.

Once you start Ed Reed there instead of Keo that td doesn't happen. Ok Mays missed a tackle it happens but imo it's worse to miss a tackle right after your teammate who just missed a tackle all on the same play. Keo is definitely not starters material.

If it was just Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and Manning that burn us it's one thing. Luke McCown to Kenny Stills is not as comforting.

Kenny Stills and Lance Moore had their way with KJax.

The entire secondary was a disappointment.

Hmmm, No.
They won some, but it wasn't like the plays were uncontested.

JJo is the one that has been underwhelmed this pre-season.

Also, I think some people like to turn Keo into a goat while Swearinger got off the book a bit too easy when he's the one who's been missing more tackles.

There are enough poor plays to spread around.

Hmmm, No.

Also, I think some people like to turn Keo into a goat while Swearinger got off the book a bit too easy when he's the one who's been missing more tackles.

Didn't say they weren't uncontested. He was there, right in their hip pocket, actually, but at the end of the play they caught the ball for a 1st down or a TD. Out of the players in our secondary I think KJax is our bright spot but that doesn't mean what I said wasn't true.

Hmmm, No.

True. Swearinger looked to be getting beat a lot too. It's easier to accept knowing he is a rookie. Keo has never shown potential or given us a light of hope regarding being a good safety in the nfl.

True. Swearinger looked to be getting beat a lot too. It's easier to accept knowing he is a rookie. Keo has never shown potential or given us a light of hope regarding being a good safety in the nfl.

I don't see anybody saying that Keo can be a good starter.
That's why the Texans brought in Reed and drafted Swearinger.

Didn't say they weren't uncontested. He was there, right in their hip pocket, actually, but at the end of the play they caught the ball for a 1st down or a TD. Out of the players in our secondary I think KJax is our bright spot but that doesn't mean what I said wasn't true.

No TD, just first down! :swatter:

If it was any player other than Joseph in our secondary, he would be getting obliterated on these boards right now. Preseason or not. Just saying.

Joseph has shown what he can do. Now he is healthy again, I don`t worry too much. I don`t know if he can be a top 3 corner in the league again, but he should be fine. I am not too worries about lackluster play in preseason.

I am concerned about our O-Line and I am concerned about our LB play and our secondary depth - not so much about Joseph.

Playing in the secondary for Phillips has got to take 10 years off of your life with all that man coverage, out-on-an-island stress. I'd like to see us disguise more zone packages into our scheme instead of "just line 'em up" and play straight up man as much as we do.

Swearinger has looked awful at times...but he's no Keo. At least Swearinger seems to have a full tool box.

Rookies are supposed to be awful.

Regarding JJo, he's either overconfident, or over the hill, one of the two. Either way, that dreaded H-word (hopefully) is being used way too much lately. And that applies to more than the secondary.

Once you start Ed Reed there instead of Keo that td doesn't happen. Ok Mays missed a tackle it happens but imo it's worse to miss a tackle right after your teammate who just missed a tackle all on the same play. Keo is definitely not starters material.

Uh.... maybe 5 years ago. Ed Reed isn't that last line of defense safety he once was. I think he'll do a fine job patrolling the air, but once it comes down to Ed Reed as the only player between an opponent & the end zone, let's hope Ed Reed can cause the guy to stutter step or something & let the rest of the defense catch up.

& that just happens to be one of the things I've been disappointed about this preseason. I thought we had good speed on defense where those little dump offs & screens wouldn't hurt us the way we saw yesterday.

Hopefully they're playing with a gear in reserve because it is the preseason. But, it's not looking good.

Didn't Kenny Stills catch a TD pass on KJax? Or was that Harris?

Nope, the first one was the Mays/Keo missed tackles.
The second was Stills on JJo.
The third one was McCain playing too far off Tanner.
He and Swearinger looked to have stopped the receiver's momentum, but a DT #98 came back and actually shoved Tanner into the end zone.
The last one was Tanner on Bouye and over the outstretched arm of Swearinger.

Nope, the first one was the Mays/Keo missed tackles.
The second was Stills on JJo.
The third one was McCain playing too far off Tanner.
He and Swearinger looked to have stopped the receiver's momentum, but a DT #98 came back and actually shoved Tanner into the end zone.
The last one was Tanner on Bouye and over the outstretched arm of Swearinger.

Ahhhh...I see.

Thanks for the correction.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but didn't want to start a new one.

Just wanted to show y'all a pic of JJo's coverage ability. I'm sure this is just a mistake, but he's been going down hill fast after his 1st year here. He and McCain are currently just plain bad

BY6pDlMCMAAzeJ0.jpg:large

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but didn't want to start a new one.

Just wanted to show y'all a pic of JJo's coverage ability. I'm sure this is just a mistake, but he's been going down hill fast after his 1st year here. He and McCain are currently just plain bad

BY6pDlMCMAAzeJ0.jpg:large

:vincepalm:

Looking at this image, no wonder the team sucks. Wow...

We have so many holes on this team that it is scary. I have no idea what happened to JJo. Ever since the Jets game last year he has sucked.

That looks like a cover two zone which jjo is supposed to be deep zone right which he is doing. Really it's the guy who is covering Larry Fitzgerald who's at fault here. I guess he didn't get the memo that it's a cover two zone.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

That looks like a cover two zone which jjo is supposed to be deep zone right which he is doing. Really it's the guy who is covering Larry Fitzgerald who's at fault here. I guess he didn't get the memo that it's a cover two zone.

That's what it looks like to me. No way JJo is THAT far out of position.

MY thoughts on J Jo is I imagine things would only be worse if Kareem Jackson was responsible for the #1 WR each and every week.

Looks to me it was a single high. JJo just thought he was running with his man on a 9 route or something. If they were in a two deep they'd be in halves. Keo's in dead center of the field.

I, nor anyone, know what the call was on the play. But, I'm sticking with JJo being the one with the MA

i see the same thing......

Back