Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Why TJ wasn't the best DL available

pilottim

Practice Squad
1)both Codys, spears, pollack, and james had more sacks than he did (we need pass rush bad)

2)all the above mentioned had more takles for loss (everyone knows you stop the run in the backfield)

3)all the above mentioned had better combine grades

4)all the above mentioned have good attitudes and are of good moral fiber

5)all of the above mentioned with the exception of maybe james are healthier and less injury prone.

This is why I think our front office dropped the ball. I think when they moved back they didn't think both LBs would be picked, but they were. Then they had 15 mins to find some shmoe to draft with no idea who they wanted and pulled the trigger not on the best guy avaliable even at his position.

Dan Cody, Pollack and James aren't even 3-4 linemen. It helps to know what you are talking about when you complain.

lol at basing a players game by his sacks and tackles. if he can force double teams in a 3-4 and free up the olb's to roam teh field freely i'd glady take him over anyone you mentioned.

This is why I think our front office dropped the ball. I think when they moved back they didn't think both LBs would be picked, but they were. Then they had 15 mins to find some shmoe to draft with no idea who they wanted and pulled the trigger not on the best guy avaliable even at his position.

you may not like the pick but you can't say that our front office was unprepared. they had to think of every scenario before they picked. this is what i think happened, the saints called them interested in the pick. they discuss a deal and find out who the saints are going to pick. when they hear the are going to take brown they look at there board and see that they have three players with the same grade that will be available if they chose to trade. they trade and proceed to take one of those three players. were two of those players picked before us and we were left with johnson, i don't know, but they felt like the trade would give us a pick next year (which might help us get a LT) and one of the players that we wanted.

Most of the pass rush in a 3-4 should come from the LBs. I'm happy to see the Texans might finally have a DE that can make some kind of push. It's not like Gary Walker was eating up blockers to free Wong, Peek, or Babin.

Spears would also have been a good pick, but I think he's a little more finesse than Johnson.

I remain mystified why Casserly and Capers do not consult the advice and recommendations of this message board before making decisions on draft day. :wacko:

Surely they know how to use a computer.

As some said above....You cannot judge a DT on his tackles and sacks. ESPECIALLY considering Florida State also plays in a 3-4. Add on that there have been plenty of All-American perfomers in college who did nothing in the pros while guys who were quiet in college went on to be Pro-Bowlers in the NFL.

While I am not happy that we passed on DJ...I'm still happy with the pick considering he was the first DT taken and we got him at #16. He should be a contributor and I hope he finally opens some holes for the LB's to get to the QB.

pilottim said:
1)both Codys, spears, pollack, and james had more sacks than he did (we need pass rush bad)

2)all the above mentioned had more takles for loss (everyone knows you stop the run in the backfield)

3)all the above mentioned had better combine grades

4)all the above mentioned have good attitudes and are of good moral fiber

5)all of the above mentioned with the exception of maybe james are healthier and less injury prone.

So when you invited all of these guys out to your house to have a private work out for you did you decide TJ wasn't up to snuff? Is that how you determined who was better than whom. :hmmm: Lets face it the coaches and GMs have tons and tons of resources at their disposal to make desicions.

Stats don't make a player. The team around you, the system you are in, the level of competition, and hundreds of other things influence those stats. The Texans see something very special in this guy. Hopefully in the next few years we will see it too.

Vinny said:
Dan Cody, Pollack and James aren't even 3-4 linemen. It helps to know what you are talking about when you complain.
Pollack can be a rush end in a 3-4 and he would be a beast. He is certianly more imposing than Sears, Peeke and Babin. He is a Pro Bowl caliber player. No one has said that of TJ. No one. Missing out on a potential Pro Bowler is not something we can afford to do on a consistant basis and still be successful.

TJ is not a 3-4 lineman. He played in a 4-3 at Miami.

Back