Why some people don't like Kevin Walter

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by KJ3, Oct 17, 2007.

1. KJ3

KJ3 Guest

because everyone has already forgotten how well he played on sunday. he finished with a career-high and game-high 12 catches for 160 yards (13.3 avg.).

just giving the due recognition.

2. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

He has actually won me over. The more games he plays, the better he plays.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I don't know why you would think people don't like KW...I can't think of anyone slamming him or being negative about him since he has started to actually produce something. He's kinda of a cross between Tim Smith (ex-Oiler) and Joe Jurevicius...he really hasn't done much till the last few games.

4. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Being impressed with AD or JJ doesn't necessarilly mean not liking Walter. Besides, I'm sure this last game has a lot of people changing their minds. I'm kind of on the fence right now, which is much better for Walter than what I thought a week ago.

5. Vinny

he's had what...one big game? Gaffney had a double digit catch game when AJ was out with Carr...we all know he was cut by two teams shortly afterwards. Patience....time will tell.

6. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

I think AD and KW are two different types. AD is the speed burst smaller guy, while Kevin is a better blocking, more physical receiver (I could be totally wrong, but that's my mental impression).

7. Vinny

its called an analogy...try one sometimes...they are tasty.

FILO_girl likes this.
  8. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

That's an accurate description of each. Which begs the question, why use KW instead of AD in the reverse play that took all afternoon th develope with the plodding KW ? And whoever you use Kubiak, please don't have Schaub out there running interference. Dang kubiak !

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

All Schaub has to do is stick his head in somebody's knee. That ain't so hard. :user:

10. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Apparently your analogy wasn't analgesic. :shades:

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

That play was run with KW (I admit going what during the play) to set up a different play later in the game with the same formation and personnel--a pass that ended up with a pretty long gain I believe.

12. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

KJ3, to answer your question as to "why some people don't like Kevin Walter" is because he's a possession receiver. A possession receiver at the #2, no matter who it is, is just too vanilla for the great unwashed.

They want someone who has the speed to take it to the house, if he should happen to beat his man deep. They don't see that in Walter, and that's all they care about. Walter just ain't 'sexy' enough.

13. infantrycak

And the funny thing is he catches balls deep with receptions this year of 39, 35 and 46 yds already.

14. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Catching a deep ball and taking it to the house are two different things. No doubt Walter will catch it, he will however get caught shortly there after.

15. infantrycak

Slightly better ball placement would have resulted in a couple of those and some missed balls being TD's. Yes there is a difference, but he has more quicks than people give him credit for as well--avoiding one tackle is often more important that far down field than top end speed.

16. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

props to you KJ3, Walter's showing why Kubes was so high on him in the 1st place. I remember in previous threads folks were wondering why he wasn't doing more & he should be demoted to 3rd string b/c of it.

Dude has no problem getting open, no problem catching the ball. As far as i'm concerned, he's perfect as a possession WR. Schaub has just missed him 2 the tune of at least 3 TD's this season. It's probably the speed differential between him & the other WR's, but shcaub has to get better at that.

17. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I despise the guy. Hate comes to mind. Burning anger.

18. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

While AJ is certainly our offensive playmaker, Schaub has done a great job with the remaining WRs. I've always hoped that KW would step up as a possession receiver, as I know the Bengals wanted to keep him when we signed him as an RFA. While a lot of folks have lobbied to have JJ at #2, I don't think Kevin is going to give up his spot without a fight.

QB/WRs has been one of the few bright spots this season, along with Kris Brown's leg.

19. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I think his speed is the perception problem. He is a decent receiver, if he was faster (quicker?), he would be a real threat.

20. dickieb

dickieb Veteran

Huh, huh, you said "balls deep" huh, huh.