Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Why is everyone so high on Chris Taylor?

gtexan02

Working?
As the offseason for us continues to go on, I keep hearing more and more about how we no longer need a running back because we have Chris Taylor. What!?

Since when was Chris Taylor the answer??? Lets review his history:

-Undrafted rookie (For some reason ESPN says he was drafted in 01 by the Steelers? lol)
-Played sparingly in the preseason
-Played at least a few snaps in only 2 regular season game
-Spent most of the season on the practice squad

Here are some reasons I hear a lot of people are excited:
1. He played very well in training camp/preseason.
First off, he was worse than Lundy, and going up against worse defenders, and we all know how well preseason production translates to regular season games.

2. He average 5 yards per carry in his regular season starter debut.
So? He played against cleveland in the last game of the regular season. They had a terrible defense, got worse as the year progressed, and this game meant absolutely nothing. How did he do against Indy? Oh yeah, 3 yards per carry. The exact same conditions that Dayne rushed for well over 100 yards.

He may turn out to be an OK player for us, but I would never consider this tiny look into his production as a reason to gloss over our need for a full time starting RB next season.

The same reason some people are high on Rosenfels....fans get tired of a lack of production at a given position and want a change. I didn't see anything special myself, although he may end up a decent player long term...perhaps.

The same reason some people are high on Rosenfels....fans get tired of a lack of production at a given position and want a change.

Its smart to want a change after the last few years, but to throw all our eggs into Sage + Taylor is putting all your trust into a completely uncharted water. Go for the proven talents and leave the speculation up to teams who can afford to take misses

Its smart to want a change after the last few years, but to throw all our eggs into Sage + Taylor is putting all your trust into a completely uncharted water. Go for the proven talents and leave the speculation up to teams who can afford to take misses
just fans talking football....we don't have eggs. :winky:

As the offseason for us continues to go on, I keep hearing more and more about how we no longer need a running back because we have Chris Taylor. What!?

Since when was Chris Taylor the answer??? Lets review his history:

I am high on Chris Taylor, but I don't think that he should be an every down back. I think the answer is not Chris Taylor, but a Ron Dayne + Chris Taylor combo. It would also be nice to get a running back, I'm looking at Adrian Peterson in the 1st or Lorenzo Booker in the 3rd-4th round. If we don't address RB, I'd be fine with that also.

-Undrafted rookie (For some reason ESPN says he was drafted in 01 by the Steelers? lol)
-Played sparingly in the preseason
-Played at least a few snaps in only 2 regular season game
-Spent most of the season on the practice squad

The reason Taylor was on the practice squad wasn't because he was a bad RB or something, it was because of his "fumbling problem". But I still agree with you for the most part.

And the Steelers thing, I noticed that before too, there must have been another Chris Taylor that played then and now is probably out of the league.

I've never seen a player get so much hype from so little production. You'd think a gem like this wouldn't have gotten stuck on the practice squad for almost the entire season without getting picked up by another team.

I'm sure he has potential, and wouldn't mind him being part of this team's future, but I am not ready after 28 carries to put all of my eggs in the Chris Taylor basket.

Try letting more go in one ear and out the other.

Same with not hanging on every word written by guys like Justice.

Apply the pareto principle...

I've never seen a player get so much hype from so little production. You'd think a gem like this wouldn't have gotten stuck on the practice squad for almost the entire season without getting picked up by another team.

...thought you were talking about Carr, until I read your 2nd sentence, which makes this an even 'sorrier' situation==play poorly/stay the starter.

If Chris Taylor had been a 3rd or 4th round pick, people would be saying "yeah, let's give him a shot". But, since he was undrafted, it's automatically assumed that he's no good. Why is that? Pittsburgh didn't fall asleep and have that same attitude with Willie Parker....so why is everyone taking that approach with Chris?? He started 1 game, granted. BUT, he ran for 99 yards and a TD. Why bring in a guy like Peterson or Booker or..anybody else for that matter...when we've already got a guy capable of putting up those kinds of numbers game in and game out? Please, somebody tell me.

Proven talent costs more...... & are just as much a gamble as potential talent.

I'd understand if we draft Adrian Peterson. Part of me would really like us to...... part of me.. wants that top 10 defense.

We've got Ron Dayne........ that's our veteran TailBack. We don't need to go into the offseason looking for a salty dog. We've seen enough of Ron Dayne(I think) to believe we should have an adequate running game in '07.

Chris Taylor..... from what we've seen of him, I think we have a lot to look forward to. If our Offensive line can pull it together.... we'll be in for a pleasant surprise.

OF course, we could get Adrian Peterson.... if our OL can pull it together... could he be the next Terrell Davis....

tough decision...

except that AD is no more proven than Ron Dayne or Chris Taylor in this league.

when we've already got a guy capable of putting up those kinds of numbers game in and game out? Please, somebody tell me.

Because has NOT proven that he could repeat this performance game in game out...There are about 50 frauds for every undrafted FA running back who is worth something. None of us hate Chris Taylor, but not adressing RB in Free Agency or in the draft based on a single game is flat out poor football management. Remember Parker had a nice game at the end of 2004, and then was in RRBC during 2005, before Pittsburgh trusted him to be the starter in 2006. In relation, the Texans/Taylor are at the end of 2004 on the Parker timeline. In other words, we need to see Taylor in the RRBC mode (i.e. he need to show he play game in game out).

We've got Ron Dayne........ that's our veteran TailBack. We don't need to go into the offseason looking for a salty dog. We've seen enough of Ron Dayne(I think) to believe we should have an adequate running game in '07.

Ron Dayne is unrestricted FA, and until he actually resigns we can't count on him.

Because has NOT proven that he could repeat this performance game in game out...There are about 50 frauds for every undrafted FA running back who is worth something. None of us hate Chris Taylor, but not adressing RB in Free Agency or in the draft based on a single game is flat out poor football management. Remember Parker had a nice game at the end of 2004, and then was in RRBC during 2005, before Pittsburgh trusted him to be the starter in 2006. In relation, the Texans/Taylor are at the end of 2004 on the Parker timeline. In other words, we need to see Taylor in the RRBC mode (i.e. he need to show he play game in game out).

But if AD or Lorenzo Booker is brought in, Chris Taylor would automatically go to the bottom of the depth chart and be forgotten about. That's my opinion. I understand people that want him to prove himself...what I'm saying is that we would be smart not to let this guy go or just bury him on our depth chart.

But if AD or Lorenzo Booker is brought in, Chris Taylor would automatically go to the bottom of the depth chart and be forgotten about. That's my opinion. I understand people that want him to prove himself...what I'm saying is that we would be smart not to let this guy go or just bury him on our depth chart.

That's known as competition. If he can't prove he is a better, more reliable option than Wali Lundy and a (of late) chronically injured Domanick Williams, then he will be buried. If he is a HOF RB just waiting for his chance as you say, then he should be able to dig himself out without much problem. If AP is there at #8 we can't let the current players on our roster prevent us from drafting him.

That's known as competition. If he can't prove he is a better, more reliable option than Wali Lundy and a (of late) chronically injured Domanick Williams, then he will be buried. If he is a HOF RB just waiting for his chance as you say, then he should be able to dig himself out without much problem. If AP is there at #8 we can't let the current players on our roster prevent us from drafting him.

I'm almost afraid that the Texans are blind to this guy's potential as a RB. Obviously, if this guy can run for 99 yds/game than the fact that he was undrafted makes him that much more valuable. We should not waste our time or money at the RB position in the draft or free agency. We need to be focused on more pressing needs, such as G, DT, OLB, CB, FS, and SS. If no one has noticed, our pass defense leaves a whole lot to be desired. Our RBs (Taylor, Dayne, Lundy) are going to be more than adequate to do the job for the Texans.

Why??? It is not like he was a dynamic, productive college player. If he is good he will maintain a roster spot and be ready to go if (normally when with Rbs) the starter misses time. What would not be smart is to depend on him becoming a quality NFL player when nothing in his history (outside of one football game) says that he is an highly skilled talented player. If i were a coach, I would much rather bank my career on A. Peterson's talent than hoping that Taylor is some diamond in rough that all 32 team did not care enough about to draft and thinking that the four good games from Ron Dayne exclude me from looking at the other 7 years of his career.

I'm almost afraid that the Texans are blind to this guy's potential as a RB. Obviously, if this guy can run for 99 yds/game than the fact that he was undrafted makes him that much more valuable. We should not waste our time or money at the RB position in the draft or free agency. We need to be focused on more pressing needs, such as G, DT, OLB, CB, FS, and SS. If no one has noticed, our pass defense leaves a whole lot to be desired. Our RBs (Taylor, Dayne, Lundy) are going to be more than adequate to do the job for the Texans.

& at the same time, our biggest need last year was LT.... & we solved that with a 3rd round pick. Just like that, I expect our F.O. to make some moves, and alleviate some of those needs, and allow us to use that #1 pick on an Adrian Peterson.

I'm not saying I think that's what we should do.... I'm just saying.

Navy_Chris = Chris Taylor?

Now it all makes sense.

Also, notice how John McClain and RJ are always talking bad about the Houston Texans?? I suggest it's time for the Texans to come out of their shell and maybe take a listen or two to what these guys have to say. Do they not hear all the fans the call in and complain day after day about problems they see with the team that are ongoing??

One other thing, Chris Taylor was put into the game for 1 play in the game here against the Titans. He lined up at fullback and ran a wheel route to the middle of the field, was wide open and had only a MLB to beat, which he could've done easily with his speed. Carr didn't even LOOK at him. But he was wide open. That's part of my frustration with the Texans when it comes to the Taylor situation.

Also, notice how John McClain and RJ are always talking bad about the Houston Texans?? I suggest it's time for the Texans to come out of their shell and maybe take a listen or two to what these guys have to say. Do they not hear all the fans the call in and complain day after day about problems they see with the team that are ongoing??

One other thing, Chris Taylor was put into the game for 1 play in the game here against the Titans. He lined up at fullback and ran a wheel route to the middle of the field, was wide open and had only a MLB to beat, which he could've done easily with his speed. Carr didn't even LOOK at him. But he was wide open. That's part of my frustration with the Texans when it comes to the Taylor situation.

In my opinion the Texans already know of the problems they have... and can see where there may be a few more problematic situations or areas before we as fans do. They know a lot more about the team than we do that just watch it for an hour every sunday.

I'd like to know why Carr didn't see Taylor on that particular play...if you still have the tape...look and see if he just stared down AJ or what..cuz taylor should be a pretty easy target for him in that situation....wide open short down the middle or little dump offs to each side.

Taylor looked a lot better in that one game than what we saw most of the season(except ron daynes big games), thats why people are high on him. He picked holes and ran like his life depended on it.

Taylor looked a lot better in that one game than what we saw most of the season(except ron daynes big games), thats why people are high on him. He picked holes and ran like his life depended on it.

Yep, he (Taylor) is the best speed back we have at present (from what I've seen so far). Don't have the numbers but I'm guessing he's the fastest among the Texans running backs.

Sweeps, quick pitch to the right/left, ability to "turn the corner" - this would be his forte and this is what makes him exciting to watch... Too bad there is just a small sample to judge by. In the Cleveland game, his touchdown, he got outside and showed a good nose for the endzone... He could be a "Mr. Outside" to Ron Dayne's "Mr. Inside".....

Fumbleitis is what kept him on the bench... I believe he fumbled once in the Cleveland game but recovered it himself...

If AP is there at #8 and the Texans don't take him, then we will know which direction they are going....

With the limited body of work we have to judge him by, I can sum it up in one word: desperation. Not saying Taylor is awful, but he sure didn't look like Jim Brown or anything, either. I'm hoping we beef up the D this offseason. Keep the status quo on O for '07 and let the D bring home the victories until we can get the personnel in place on O. That's a time tested way to build a year in-year out contender.
:twocents:

Chris Taylor showed promise, but one or two games isn't enough for me...and same goes for Ron Dayne.

-Ron Dayne has proven that he can run well and isn't a complete bust. He can run with power, and be a good power back.

-Ron Danye has NOT proven that he can be a reliable starter take all the carries and make the pro bowl.

HOWEVER I am not outruling the second. I think for Chris Taylor it is more that, he has shown he can do something, but lets make sure it's not beginers luck before we plan on him being our great running back.

The good news about our backfield, boy do we have a lot of upside, the bad part, every running back has a question mark. Ron Dayne, is he what he was at the end of the season? Can Chris Taylor mold into a great runningback? Can Wali Lundy carry over his pre season performence and make it a consistent regular season performence? Can Domanick Williams play like he did a few years back? and if we get AP, Can Peterson transfer his college game to the nfl and make a fast impact?

Out of those 5 questions...at least one will be answered yes, so I think we will be ok. This is kind of a good running back problem to have, its not like we don't have talent (like the problem was before this year...aside from domanick williams... I can't think of one decent back we have had)

If Chris Taylor had been a 3rd or 4th round pick, people would be saying "yeah, let's give him a shot". But, since he was undrafted, it's automatically assumed that he's no good. Why is that? Pittsburgh didn't fall asleep and have that same attitude with Willie Parker....so why is everyone taking that approach with Chris?? He started 1 game, granted. BUT, he ran for 99 yards and a TD. Why bring in a guy like Peterson or Booker or..anybody else for that matter...when we've already got a guy capable of putting up those kinds of numbers game in and game out? Please, somebody tell me.
im with you playa, i say give chris taylor a chance and look for more pressing needs like drafting landry with the first round pick and picking up arron ross with the second. The reason i say go with chris is b/c the game he played in, he showed determination after the first hit and thats what we need in a back, besides if he fails we can always draft McFadden the next following year who is a better back than any other running back in the draft...jmo...hollar

Well, from what i seen in his couple of games, he looks like he could be Willie Parker 2007-8 to a lesser extent. Just someone that is a change of pace, but still not an every down back & can grind a little.

I dunno, but I still like the idea that "backs are a dime a dozen".
And anyway, the one and only time Taylor got the start included a run where he hit the line, bounced it to the outside, and took it wide around end for a TD from 'bout the 5 yard line. See, we don't need no stinkin Reggie Bush to do that when he can get an undrafted FA like Taylor to make that run.
And didn't Taylor get 100 yards in that game ? What if he's our primary starter next year - 1200 yards for the season ?

Man its easy to get misconceptions: Here are some funny things I"ve heard:

Taylor can be our speed back
I see Taylor being a lot like Willie Parker

Just so everyone knwos, Parker ran a 4.2 40 in his combine. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Parker)
Taylor ran a 4.65 (http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=8&c=1&nid=2003816&yr=2006)

There is no comparison between the two other than their low expectations to stat their careers

All I'm saying is that if AD is around at #8, and we pass on him because we already have Chris Taylor, I for one will be disapoitned. There is a reason AD has such high hype around him -- because he runs with a rare combination of speed and power, and is built for the NFL. To risk our running game --- the most important part of our offense --- on a guy with 1 regular season starting experience would be a bad idea

I like Chris Taylor...I think he can be a very productive back for us if fiven the chance...

The way I tend to judge players is from watching them and observing certain things about their style of play...

The things I liked about Chris Taylor is that he has good size, good speed(our fastest back), and he had good vision...

I haven't seen enough of him to know whether or not he can get it done consistently no matter the competition, but I have seen enough of him to know he certainly has the tools to get it done...

I'm with a lot of these guys in this thread...i'd like to see him get a chance before we assume he can't get it done...

The way I tend to judge players is from watching them and observing certain things about their style of play...

The things I liked about Chris Taylor is that he has good size, good speed(our fastest back), and he had good vision...

I'm not for making CT our starter just yet....... I'm not for passing on AD either. If AD is there we take him... if he's not, oh well.

We have RonDayne, and we know we'll have a running game... CT, with the things xtru has noticed.... can very well be a Terrell Davis type back if our OL can do what they're supposed to do.

I like Chris Taylor...I think he can be a very productive back for us if fiven the chance...

I haven't seen enough of him to know whether or not he can get it done consistently no matter the competition, but I have seen enough of him to know he certainly has the tools to get it done...

I'm with a lot of these guys in this thread...i'd like to see him get a chance before we assume he can't get it done...

I don't think anyone is saying that he won't be able to ge it done. What most are saying (including myself), is that Taylor has not done anything to be deserving of the starting RB spot to this point. I would like to see possibly worked into a rotation once the coaches feel he is ready, so that then he can prove that he has what it takes. To fail to address this team's short-comings in the running game (Y'all haven't forgotten the first half of the season have you? Where we couldn't average better than 3 yds a carry against the better teams on our schedule.) because a back had a decent game against a bad defense would be a horrible mistake. Taylor is not ready to be the featured back of this franchise.

I'm not for making CT our starter just yet....... I'm not for passing on AD either. If AD is there we take him... if he's not, oh well.

We have RonDayne, and we know we'll have a running game... CT, with the things xtru has noticed.... can very well be a Terrell Davis type back if our OL can do what they're supposed to do.

I'm not ready to give CT the starting job, but I'm sure not ready to discount him either...

If Peterson is sitting on the board with the eight pick, we either have to draft him, or make a trade that makes another team look stupid.

I've gone back and forth with this Peterson thing....On one hand I think we have RB's that are solid enough to win games, and I also like some of the other backs that are flying under the radar in later rds...like Selvin Young, Tyrone Moss, Deshawn Wynn, Tony hunt, Lorenzo Booker, Antonio Pittman, Kenneth Darby...

I just think that the NFL is moving more towards a RB commitee leauge, and is moving away from the super studs...And even the teams with the super studs normall have 1 or 2 good players behind them....

I'm torn because I think AP is going to be awesome, but If he fell to us and we could parlay that pick into extra picks, I might be all over that...

Taylor is not ready to be the featured back of this franchise.

I'm not going to disagree with that but I will ask...how do you know ?

I don't think we've seen enough of him to make a closed statement one way or the other....

Going into the season last year the Broncos announced that Mike Bell would be the starter...I'm pretty sure that was a guy that most fans didn't know a lot about either..

...and we know we'll have a running game...

I don't think we really know this. We knew that we'd have a running game at the beginning of the season, I mean we averaged 5 yds a carry during preseason. But then what happened?
  • Eagles Week 1: 45 yds from the RBs, 2.8 yds per carry
  • Redskins Week 3: 58 yds, 3.8 yds per carry
  • Dolphins Week 4: 67 yds, 2.4 yds per carry
  • Cowboys Week 6: 19 yds, 1.4 yds per carry
  • Giants Week 9: 43 yds, 2.2 yds per carry
  • Jaguars Week 10: 101 yds, 3.1 yds per carry
When we were playing against good defenses, our running game was completely in the tank. I remember being completely frustrated that our offense couldn't pick up any decent yards on the ground. It wasn't until the second half of the season, when our schedule softened up that we actually found our run game. I for one hope that our FO doesn't just know we will have a running game based soley off the Denver reputation of having a strong running game regardless of the RB. I would not be looking forward to another season of that kind of production from our rushing attack.

I'm not going to disagree with that but I will ask...how do you know ?

I don't think we've seen enough of him to make a closed statement one way or the other....

Going into the season last year the Broncos announced that Mike Bell would be the starter...I'm pretty sure that was a guy that most fans didn't know a lot about either..

Because if he was ready he wouldn't have been sitting on the shelf the entire season on the practice squad, allowed only to play when the season was already over, and only given the start because Dayne got injured late.

If he wasn't going to be allowed to start in a meaningless game against a poor team until Dayne was injured, how is it that everyone seems to be willing to hand over the starting job to him for the entire next season?

Because if he was ready he wouldn't have been sitting on the shelf the entire season on the practice squad, allowed only to play when the season was already over, and only given the start because Dayne got injured late.

If he wasn't going to be allowed to start in a meaningless game against a poor team until Dayne was injured, how is it that everyone seems to be willing to hand over the starting job to him for the entire next season?

I guess the same thing can be said for:

Tom Brady
Tony Romo
Terrell Davis
Willie Parker
Tiki Barber
Kurt Warner
Marques Colston

And the countless others who "clearly couldn't get it done"...

In that case why even watch the games, or come to the message board...We should all just walk around opionionless and listen to what ever the team representatives tell us...

Just because a player isn't playing, or gets drafted late, or goes undrafted period, doesn't mean that said player "can't get it done"...All that means is that the people making decisions didn't "know that player could get it done"...

Don't you think it's more fun to formulate an opionion of a player for yourself than to listen to someone else and assume a player "can't get it done", because they said so ?

And I never said "hand" him the job....All I said is that he shouldn't be counted out yet...He should atleast be given a fair shot to compete for the job...

Tom Brady
Tony Romo
Terrell Davis
Willie Parker
Tiki Barber
Kurt Warner
Marques Colston

In that case why even watch the games, or come to the message board...We should all just walk around opionionless and listen to what ever the team representatives tell us...

Just because a player isn't playing, or gets drafted late, or goes undrafted period, doesn't mean that said player "can't get it done"...All that means is that the people making decisions didn't "know that player could get it done"...

Don't you think it's more fun to formulate an opionion of a player for yourself than to listen to someone else and assume a player "can't get it done", because they said so ?

And I never said "hand" him the job....All I said is that he shouldn't be counted out yet...He should atleast be given a fair shot to compete for the job...

Just to clarify, Marques Colston never spent any games on the bench of PS

Tom Brady
Tony Romo
Terrell Davis
Willie Parker
Tiki Barber
Kurt Warner
Marques Colston

Try reading all the posts before you formulate your opinion. I myself said that no one is saying he can't get it done. The fact is you are "formulating" your opinion based on what? One good game against a lousy team and a couple carries in preseason against the 3rd and 4th string? He couldn't get off the practice squad even when we could barely get a yard with the running game, are you suggesting there is some conspiracy that the coaches refuse to play him even though he could jump start the offense? The fact is that Taylor hasn't had hardly any game experiece to deserve such high praise. At this point it would be best for him to be used in a rotation instead of being relied on as the featured runner.

Just to clarify, Marques Colston never spent any games on the bench of PS

Wasn't really the point...

The point is that he was picked almost dead last in the draft, and ended up being one of the best rookies in '06....

The point is that just because coaches, or scouts, or anyone says a player isn't good enough doesn't make it anymore true...I like to judge players on my own and not base my decisions about a players talent based on how someone else feels about said player...I like to actually judge a player and not assume he's not good enough because of limited playing time...

There are players every year that step up when given the chance...I personally think Chris Taylor can be one of those guys...I'm not saying it's a sure thing he is, but at this point it's definitely not a sure thing he isn't...

Try reading all the posts before you formulate your opinion. I myself said that no one is saying he can't get it done.

You also said:

Taylor is not ready to be the featured back of this franchise.
Am I missing something ?

The fact is you are "formulating" your opinion based on what? One good game against a lousy team and a couple carries in preseason against the 3rd and 4th string? He couldn't get off the practice squad even when we could barely get a yard with the running game, are you suggesting there is some conspiracy that the coaches refuse to play him even though he could jump start the offense? The fact is that Taylor hasn't had hardly any game experiece to deserve such high praise. At this point it would be best for him to be used in a rotation instead of being relied on as the featured runner.

In a second, I swear I'm gonna think you're a psycho...

You also said:

Am I missing something ?

In a second, I swear I'm gonna think you're a psycho...

Alright, let me see if I can make this real simple for you...I'm not saying that Taylor can't eventually do the job, I'm saying that so far he has done nothing to prove that he can. Do you get it?

Now is not the time to be listing him as a starter. After offseason training and training camp this may change, perhaps he proves that he can carry the load...as of today, however, that is not the case. Relying on him at this point to be the day one starter would be a HUGE mistake. Besides, all those other players you mentioned; Brady, Colston, Barber, etc were either thrust into the starting spot either due to injury or by proving themselves to the coaches on the field.

Alright, let me see if I can make this real simple for you...I'm not saying that Taylor can't eventually do the job, I'm saying that so far he has done nothing to prove that he can. Do you get it?

Now is not the time to be listing him as a starter. After offseason training and training camp this may change, perhaps he proves that he can carry the load...as of today, however, that is not the case. Relying on him at this point to be the day one starter would be a HUGE mistake. Besides, all those other players you mentioned; Brady, Colston, Barber, etc were either thrust into the starting spot either due to injury or by proving themselves to the coaches on the field.

O.k....

I showed you an example where you clearly said he can't get it done....

Can you please show me one post where I have said that he absolutely can, and should be named the starter RIGHT NOW ?

Do you even know what you're arguing ?

I'm arguing the fact that you assume he can't get it done because you haven't seen it...All I siad was that I've seen enough of him that "I"...not you, the coaches, the staff....but "I" think he deserves a chance....

I'm not exaclty sure what you're arguing...

O.k....

I showed you an example where you clearly said he can't get it done....

Can you please show me one post where I have said that he absolutely can, and should be named the starter RIGHT NOW ?

Do you even know what you're arguing ?

I'm arguing the fact that you assume he can't get it done because you haven't seen it...All I siad was that I've seen enough of him that "I"...not you, the coaches, the staff....but "I" think he deserves a chance....
I'm not exaclty sure

what you're arguing...

What I said is he is not at a point to be the starter yet...I specifically said that he is not ready. I am also not arguing that you said he should be the starter...I am stating that I don't believe that he should be unless he makes some big strides during this offseason. Are we on the same page now?

I think the reason people in general are high on Chris Taylor is because of his 99 yard debut against Cleveland. IMO, I doubt he will do that again. Sometimes people miss the fact he played against Cleveland.

I think the reason people in general are high on Chris Taylor is because of his 99 yard debut against Cleveland. IMO, I doubt he will do that again. Sometimes people miss the fact he played against Cleveland.

Some folks were high on him before that....... has something to do with his size, speed & build..

go figure.

I don't think we really know this. We knew that we'd have a running game at the beginning of the season, I mean we averaged 5 yds a carry during preseason. But then what happened?
  • Eagles Week 1: 45 yds from the RBs, 2.8 yds per carry
  • Redskins Week 3: 58 yds, 3.8 yds per carry
  • Dolphins Week 4: 67 yds, 2.4 yds per carry
  • Cowboys Week 6: 19 yds, 1.4 yds per carry
  • Giants Week 9: 43 yds, 2.2 yds per carry
  • Jaguars Week 10: 101 yds, 3.1 yds per carry
When we were playing against good defenses, our running game was completely in the tank. I remember being completely frustrated that our offense couldn't pick up any decent yards on the ground. It wasn't until the second half of the season, when our schedule softened up that we actually found our run game. I for one hope that our FO doesn't just know we will have a running game based soley off the Denver reputation of having a strong running game regardless of the RB. I would not be looking forward to another season of that kind of production from our rushing attack.

I'm just saying it won't be because of the running back. We'll be good to go if we re-sign Ron Dayne. If he works with our line for all of training camp, & the pre-season, and starts off the year healthy, I think we'll be good.

& I really think there are three reasons why our running game struggled at the beginning of the season.
  • Our line wasn't very good at all.
    Read the play-by-play, if you see guys like Burgess, Sapp, Howard, Holliday, etc..... tackling our running backs, it isn't our RBs fault that there is no hole.
  • Lack of dedication to the run
    Against Philly & Indy, we gave up on the run way to early.
  • a passing game that failed to strecth the field.
    LBs can play our pass or our run pretty much the same....

Some folks were high on him before that....... has something to do with his size, speed & build..

go figure.

I would say anyone who was (quite frankly is) high on Chris Taylor is dealing with hoping a guy is good versus a logical assessment of his talent. Not enough hard evidence either way to make a solid judgement. Need temper optimism with the reality that while he has a chance, 32 teams had some reason for all passing him buy. There are success stories on the undrafted FA, but they are exceptions and not the rule. The Texans need to proceed as though they don't have a RB this off-season, becasue quite frankly they don't.

I would say anyone who was (quite frankly is) high on Chris Taylor is dealing with hoping a guy is good versus a logical assessment of his talent. Not enough hard evidence either way to make a solid judgement. Need temper optimism with the reality that while he has a chance, 32 teams had some reason for all passing him buy. There are success stories on the undrafted FA, but they are exceptions and not the rule. The Texans need to proceed as though they don't have a RB this off-season, becasue quite frankly they don't.

They seemed to have one in the Cleveland game.

Back