Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who's the 1st RB taken?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Mentioned in another unrelated thread that Cedric Benson would be the 1st RB selected & could end up in Miami as the 2nd player chosen or more likely in a trade down. It all depends on the situation and the team drafting and how they grade out a player who best incorporates their needs. Yes I like Ronnie Brown, he is a power runner that would just as soon run a guy over as make him miss but I like Cadilac Williams the way he can create & stretch out the corners with break away speed just as much.

To me Cedric seems like the franchise back, a workhorse you can feed the ball to, like a Ricky Williams. Miami would seem to be a perfect fit, if they think to pick up extra picks they might trade down, opportunity for the Texans to get Derrick Johnson or Antrell Rolle? Maybe, but I digress in your opinion who will be the #1 overall Running back selected in the 2005 draft?

Ced's draft position is directly related to his 40 time, but I still think he is going to be the first RB taken regardless of his 40 because he is that workhorse teams like. However, if you told me to pick a RB then I would go with Ronnie Brown. He can catch the ball out of the backfield and the Auburn coaches said he has the best hands on the team. I really like his combination of size and speed also. Andre Johnson is 220 pounds and runs a 4.3 forty, Brown is 230 pounds and runs a 4.4 forty.

I like Fiddy's answer. Although I don't see Benson going as high as #2 no matter what he runs in the 40.

I can't see the Dolphins using a top 3 pick in anybody. They need help in so many areas and they're already lacking picks thanks to bad personnel decisions. They've got to trade down.

I see the RB draft order as

First RB taken - Williams - probably around the 7th overall pick

Second taken - Brown - 12th to 17th - we might take a sniff

Third - Benson - late 1st and may slide to 2nd - he is a pounder, but seems too slow IMO to be a premier NFL back.

edo783 said:
I see the RB draft order as

First RB taken - Williams - probably around the 7th overall pick

Second taken - Brown - 12th to 17th - we might take a sniff

Third - Benson - late 1st and may slide to 2nd - he is a pounder, but seems too slow IMO to be a premier NFL back.

Cedric Benson will more than likely be the first back drafted.... Carnell might go pick 8-12 and brown could drop as low as 25.

This is according to all of the mock drafts I have seen thus far, and even Mel Kiper has Benson rated as the number 1 back. Benson will run a forty below 4.55 so he will not be considered too slow.

hetero doxy said:
i think jj arrington will blow up and be in the top 3. he's the bomb.

I started the December think that Ronnie Brown would be a great pick up, but after pulling up some game footage an d highlight packages, I'm now praying to tha Almighty that JJ falls into our laps.

Also, this is the first time I've ever agreed with hetero...EVER!

Hoth-Boy said:
I started the December think that Ronnie Brown would be a great pick up, but after pulling up some game footage an d highlight packages, I'm now praying to tha Almighty that JJ falls into our laps.

Also, this is the first time I've ever agreed with hetero...EVER!

i sense some bonding here, everyone a moment please................................ok :fib

carnell is the special one, he's another Curtis Martin in waiting. the reason will be his longivity in the league, he doesn't try to engage the defense he trys to disassemble it, direct shots are avoided and he has that extra gear when needed. These other backs scare me because of their one shot, head on mentality. Cedric Benson will be a great back for about 5 or 6 years until his body breaks down, he loses his passion or follows his idol (of course that pure speculation) IMO.

It would be nice to see someone like cedric benson to go to the Texans, but he probably won't be around then

Why isn't anyone mentioning Reggie Bush? The guy is one of the most complete football players (notice I didn't say RB) because of his ability to run the, line up at WR, and return punts (2 for TD's this season I believe). I'd take a good look at him along with the other guys. However, as good as Cedric is...I don't take him first. He's a big name guy from a big name school, but I don't think he's the top back in the draft.

hetero doxy said:
hoth, hey we can get along fine if you actually watch the games. i do, and as often as possible without preconceived notions. i was watching rogers closely when my eyes drifted to jj and never left him. arrington is a stud. he reminds me a lot of emmitt smith.

Why is it that everytime someone disagress with somebody here, one of the two is accused of not watching teh games. FYI I've been eating PB & J sandwichs at work since August so that I could talk my wife into ordering the SUnday Ticket package. And DAMNIT its been well worth it, espically since I live in Dallas.

Also Hetero the things I tend to disagree with you most on things that DON"T happen on the feild, like the tired enron money takes.

But yeah Arrington is a stud, and most mocks I've seen have him not taken in the first or early second. This is what I'm worring about.

Back