Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who will be the Texans first free agent signing??

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
With the official start of free agency 1 day and 23 hours away, who do you think the Texans first free agent signing will be??

The one free agent I really hope we take a good run at is Ken Hamlin of the Seahawks.

We really need a FS, I would be happy to get Landry @ 8 but if we get Hamlin that is one box well ticked and we can look at other needs at 8.

I think Deon Grant has a better chance of being signed, cheaper but still a play maker. Drafting a corner would bring a balance of youth and veteran leadership to the secondary.

I also would like to see a veteran RB, like AGreen be brought in also.

Hamlin, Lewis, or Grant. Draft Landry unless Brown is there.

Nai'l Diggs from Carolina looks good.

A second tier CB.

Rohan Davey would be great. (gotta keep pimping that UFA former LSU starter from Ariz). Other then Rusell and Quinn. The QB class is lacking. This guy will sign less then both. Save a draft pick. Has NFL experience sorta.

any solid line hep is greatly appreciated.

I think Deon Grant has a better chance of being signed, cheaper but still a play maker. Drafting a corner would bring a balance of youth and veteran leadership to the secondary.

I also would like to see a veteran RB, like AGreen be brought in also.

We already have a vet in Dayne. And would we want to carry 4 RBs?

I don't know as far as FA goes. I'm really hoping we keep Dayne and don't sign a FA FS. I used to want us to sign hamlin but after landry's combine i'm hoping we draft him...so let's go a different route in FA????? please.

A lot fo the Titans fans are wanting Ken Hamlin to replace Thompson who is horrible. Fisher already said he's stayign with the safties we have so If you guys can pick up Hamlin and a Vet corner to help out robinson that might be your easiest quickest way to get better faster. Good luck next season.

I hope we go all out for Nate Clements, that would make our offseason for me. Then in the first, get Landry, second get Rufus Alexander, third get Jason Hill, and in the fourth the best DT available and I would be very happy with the offseason.

I hope we go all out for Nate Clements, that would make our offseason for me. Then in the first, get Landry, second get Rufus Alexander, third get Jason Hill, and in the fourth the best DT available and I would be very happy with the offseason.

If we aquire nate clements then that will prob be the only off season move we would make because he is wanting so much, I would rather go another route.

i think eric steinbach will be the first FA

but when do you think out first FA will be signed?

first day?
second day?

Good luck with thay. I really think TN will get Nate but I dont know if if spending that money woudl be worth it or not. Time will tell.

If we aquire nate clements then that will prob be the only off season move we would make because he is wanting so much, I would rather go another route.
A significant bonus and $8million for first year of a five year contract would allow us to be under the projected $13m and that is before the cap bump for 07 and any renegotiated contracts. We should go hard at NC to solve the majority of our D issues. If we get him we do not have to change our safeties this year.

We cant afford any of the top tier FA's, the only one I would be willing to look at is Hamllin, since its such a big hole on our team and FS is not that expenssive of a position. Also, I wouldnt mind us picking up Luke Pettigout and teaming him up with Charles Spencer to soldify our tackle position for a couple years. Michael Lewis out of Philly would be welcomed, but not needed as badly as Hamlin. A second CB would also be welcomed, such as Nick Harper or Macklin from Arizona.

We cant afford any of the top tier FA's, the only one I would be willing to look at is Hamllin, since its such a big hole on our team and FS is not that expenssive of a position. Also, I wouldnt mind us picking up Luke Pettigout and teaming him up with Charles Spencer to soldify our tackle position for a couple years. Michael Lewis out of Philly would be welcomed, but not needed as badly as Hamlin. A second CB would also be welcomed, such as Nick Harper or Macklin from Arizona.

You beat me to it. FS is a huge hole on this team & free agent FS's come a lot cheaper than any other position that we need. Hamlin would fill a huge hole from the get-go & he's my choice for the first FA signed.

You beat me to it. FS is a huge hole on this team & free agent FS's come a lot cheaper than any other position that we need. Hamlin would fill a huge hole from the get-go & he's my choice for the first FA signed.
SIgn the best F/A safety and we still need a corner. Sign a top F/A corner and you do not need to sign another safety.

I hope it isn't Steinbach or Dielman.

They are getting crazy money thrown at them.

I don't want that to be the Texans.

WOW... so i guess you want the texans to not be in the playoffs for another 5 years, the fact is if we want a winnin team we need to spend MONEY MONEY MONEY, you gotta be aggresive

With the official start of free agency 1 day and 23 hours away, who do you think the Texans first free agent signing will be??

The one free agent I really hope we take a good run at is Ken Hamlin of the Seahawks.

We really need a FS, I would be happy to get Landry @ 8 but if we get Hamlin that is one box well ticked and we can look at other needs at 8.

The biggest acquisitions I'd like to see are Nick Harper and Michael Lewis. Another guy I wouldn't mind seeing come here is Lenny Walls. WHEN we draft Landry at #8 (hopeful optimism), we'd have our safety problem pretty much solved, with Landry and Lewis starting and Brown and Earl BACKING THEM UP, where they belong.

We have plenty of holes to be filled so I'll throw out some possible fillers:

CB - Nick Harper or David Macklin (either would be an improvement at a fraction of what Nate's going to get)
RB - Ahman Green or Chris Brown or Dominic Rhodes (all have some question marks)
WR - Drew Bennett or Kevin Curtis or Bobby Engram (really like Curtis, Bennett would be a good #2, Bobby Engram has injury history but produced well in games)
O-Line - MIKE GANDY!!! or Steinbach or Dielman (gimme any of the three and I'm a happy guy
D-Line - Michael Myers (would be a solid addition at DT...and he murders people)

Of course we can't get all of them, but a couple would be nice, then get LaRon Landry and another nice draft up and down and we're improving yet again.

...if ever there were a lifetime committment, Kubiak's got one here in Houston.

I don't think that any REALISTIC Texan fans were going into last season thinking we were going to be playoff bound. At best we were going to be a .500 team. I think this season we'll make it there, despite a pretty tough schedule.

We just need to give Gary and Rick some more time and not question their every move like we know more than they do (because we don't).

I don't think that any REALISTIC Texan fans were going into last season thinking we were going to be playoff bound. At best we were going to be a .500 team. I think this season we'll make it there, despite a pretty tough schedule.

We just need to give Gary and Rick some more time and not question their every move like we know more than they do (because we don't).

did i put too many T's in commitment? oops!

also, were you in a cave last season?

Sean Payton took the Saints from 3-13 to the NFC Champ. Game
Jeff Fisher took the Titans from 4-12 to just out of the playoffs

Kubiak took a bunch of rejects from "The Benchwarmers" and won 6 games.

Tennessee won 4 more games than they did the previous season. They didn't have their starting RB injured all season only to rely on Ron Dayne, an UDFA and a late round flier. They didn't start both DT's off the street. They have one of the best coaches in the NFL. Don't act like Tennessee had some grand turnaround when they didn't turn around any more than Houston did.

Sean Payton benefitted from Drew Brees and a healthy Deuce McAllister. If you recall and weren't in a cave, you'll remember that healthy Deuce helped the Saints to the playoffs once before with Aaron Brooks at QB. Add in striking Gold with a 7th round draft pick and finding the right moves on the O-Line and you've got a reason for their turnaround. I don't discount what Payton did for the Saints. They had a dream season beyond anyone's expectations. Saints fans didn't think they would make the playoffs when the season started.

Houston...13 players on IR. DT's who were moving furniture when the season started. Rookie head coach taking over for an incompetant boob...we won three times the games as were won the prior season. Should we have won 1 or 2 more? Probably, but I'll take the improvement in year one. I'm a realist.

is the glass always half empty for you? i had hoped for 7-9 at best after Kubiak came in and had to start tearing down what the previous regime had built up (overpriced veterans, burgeoning cap issues, little to no depth, etc.). sure they had chances to at least go 8-8 (buffalo, NYG, the two tenn. games), but how much did you really expect? 10-6 and the playoffs? this season was tough, but you able to see flashes from guys like Ryans and Williams and a Pro Bowl season out of Johnson. plus, three of your top executives have been turned over and there are rumors that a shakeup might be due in the scouting dept.--overdue in my opinion. so you get fresh ideas and philosophies and can hopefully make better decisions with the draft and free agency then casserly and capers did. i am optimistic, i have a feeling they could go 10-6 and you would find ways to tear it down.

find another drum to bang.

is the glass always half empty for you? i had hoped for 7-9 at best after Kubiak came in and had to start tearing down what the previous regime had built up (overpriced veterans, burgeoning cap issues, little to no depth, etc.). sure they had chances to at least go 8-8 (buffalo, NYG, the two tenn. games), but how much did you really expect? 10-6 and the playoffs? this season was tough, but you able to see flashes from guys like Ryans and Williams and a Pro Bowl season out of Johnson.

find another drum to bang.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy. But I find it hard to be a "perpetually optimistic" fan when it's been 5 years and this franchise hasn't done ONE single thing to improve itself. I believe in Rick and Gary and I'll give them time, as I'm sure every other fan will....but, the one guy that's been here throughout all this is Bob McNair. He's run this team poorly and continues to let bad decision after bad decision be made right before his eyes.

While I am a huge Texans fan and always will be, I am also critical when they make the aforementioned bad decisions. Tennessee and New Orleans made all the right decisions with their personnel last offseason and it showed. The Texans? Well, they're in the NFL too. That's about all we've got to show for our diligence over the past 5 seasons.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy. But I find it hard to be a "perpetually optimistic" fan when it's been 5 years and this franchise hasn't done ONE single thing to improve itself. I believe in Rick and Gary and I'll give them time, as I'm sure every other fan will....but, the one guy that's been here throughout all this is Bob McNair. He's run this team poorly and continues to let bad decision after bad decision be made right before his eyes.

While I am a huge Texans fan and always will be, I am also critical when they make the aforementioned bad decisions. Tennessee and New Orleans made all the right decisions with their personnel last offseason and it showed. The Texans? Well, they're in the NFL too. That's about all we've got to show for our diligence over the past 5 seasons.

I will disagree with you about New Orleans as well. I think that most of their good decisions regarding personnel were not as much having been sacked by opposing players, but more so the Hurricane Katrina. I think if any team had to get up and move and deal with all of that devistation, and then go back home and refocus, they would be really good. If you disagree that is fine, but I don't care about their coach and their personnel decisions, but I think a freaking hurricane that displaces an entire team will make any competitive team look crappy, and when they come back home, they will look good again.

.....but I think a freaking hurricane that displaces an entire team will make any competitive team look crappy, and when they come back home, they will look good again.

LOOK good? They WERE good! Hurricane or not, they made the right decisions concerning personnel and they outclassed us in the process.

LOOK good? They WERE good! Hurricane or not, they made the right decisions concerning personnel and they outclassed us in the process.

What personnel decisions did they have to make. They got Drew Brees. Other than that, they didn't do anything in the draft that we didn't do as well. What, they picked up two (maybe more, but only two that I know of) starters in the draft. Okay, we picked up 3 guys who started every game, one of which was the DROY. So, personnel decisions that they made from 05 to 06 were pretty much the same as ours. But, they already had a very good team. The difference in their record from before the hurricane to after, is I think only 3 games. We improved by 4. The hurricane is a big factor.

As far as outclassed. I don't know what you mean. If you mean they are now in a different class of eliteness, then you are correct. But they already were before (as my opinion already states). It is much harder to have the worst talent in the league and build up than to already have good talent, but have circumstances beat you down (ie. Katrina). But, if you are talking about outclassed in the sense that they are classier than the Texans. I belive that you are wrong. I am not saying that New Orleans isn't classy, but just that the Texans are a very "classy" organization. Nobody can make a legitimate claim that the Texans aren't classy, they can say a lot of other things, but classy is something that we are. (I don't think that you meant that we got outclassed in this way, but I figured I would talk about it just in case.)

Maybe FS Hamlin from Seattle. He is a big (6'2") young (27ish I think) kid out of Arkansas that Seattle took I think in the 2nd round about 4 years ago.

He would be a big upgrade over CC Brown.

would LOVE to see the Hammer (Hamlin) in a Texans uniform. that is what this team needs - somebody to be afraid of in the secondary.

What personnel decisions did they have to make. They got Drew Brees. Other than that, they didn't do anything in the draft that we didn't do as well. What, they picked up two (maybe more, but only two that I know of) starters in the draft. Okay, we picked up 3 guys who started every game, one of which was the DROY. So, personnel decisions that they made from 05 to 06 were pretty much the same as ours. But, they already had a very good team. The difference in their record from before the hurricane to after, is I think only 3 games. We improved by 4. The hurricane is a big factor.

As far as outclassed. I don't know what you mean. If you mean they are now in a different class of eliteness, then you are correct. But they already were before (as my opinion already states). It is much harder to have the worst talent in the league and build up than to already have good talent, but have circumstances beat you down (ie. Katrina). But, if you are talking about outclassed in the sense that they are classier than the Texans. I belive that you are wrong. I am not saying that New Orleans isn't classy, but just that the Texans are a very "classy" organization. Nobody can make a legitimate claim that the Texans aren't classy, they can say a lot of other things, but classy is something that we are. (I don't think that you meant that we got outclassed in this way, but I figured I would talk about it just in case.)

We PASSED on the clear cut BEST players in the draft!! But again, blame that on Casserly, can't blame it on Rick Smith. All this comes back to one person, Bob McNair.

WOW... so i guess you want the texans to not be in the playoffs for another 5 years, the fact is if we want a winnin team we need to spend MONEY MONEY MONEY, you gotta be aggresive

I'm sorry how far was New England under the salary cap this season???

You spend MONEY on great players who fit your system and are worthy of the MONEY.

Otherwise you end up in cap hell and out the back door, who are you Dan Snyder??

Back