Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

who will be dramatically improved this year?

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Here's my list:

1. Carr (lot's of room for it and a lot more help)
2. McKinney ( back to guard and sandwiched between Flanagan and Pitts)
3. Wand (athleticism for the scheme, still don't understand the Riley thing)
4. AJ (Kubiak will know how to utilize him, Carr's improvement will be his)
5. Buchanan (can't be worse-he'll flourish in cover2 jumping routes)
6. Peek (he'll play in passing downs and get 10+ sacks)
7. Greenwood (back to the weakside- free to pursue the play)
8. Babin (healthy and motivated)
9. TJohnson (playing 1 gap and told to attack instead of occupy blockers)
10. GEarl (healthy)
11. JMathis (might see the field on offense, which means some mistakes and 5-6 long TD catches)

That's a pretty big list, but I firmly believe that the team underachieved at an amazing level last year. Not only that, but the staff was so out of touch with the team and the NFL that many of the better players lost jobs to much lesser players- not to mention many of them weren't put into a system where they could succeed. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SEASON

David Carr- I expect a Dree Brees type turnaround. Dree Brees came from almost unemployed to now signing a huge contract.

Do or Die for Carr, these next two seasons will define his football career.

dalemurphy said:
Here's my list:

10. GEarl (healthy)
11. JMathis (might see the field on offense, which means some mistakes and 5-6 long TD catches)

That's a pretty big list, but I firmly believe that the team underachieved at an amazing level last year. Not only that, but the staff was so out of touch with the team and the NFL that many of the better players lost jobs to much lesser players- not to mention many of them weren't put into a system where they could succeed. I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SEASON

The biggest of all them - COACHING STAFF ......................

I agree completly, for the most part (paradox), but still have reservations about Babin, and the fact that peek has a nonstop motor may not make up for his lack of size at the moment for DE, and Wand just may not be good enough in my opinion. But as far as CARR, AJ, Mathis, McKinney, and even PBuc i agree completly.

It'd probablly be easier to make a list of players that wont improve... but.. here's my list of players that should be better this comming season:

David Carr - Had a rough 2005 season. With Kubiak he should be much better.

Dominick Davis - Hopefully he'll continue to run hard and if Kubiak converts our zone blocking scheme the way he should D.D. should have a great year.

Andre Johnson - Tough year in 05. He should look more like the AJ we've all come to know and love this comming season.

Jarome Mathis - If he gets better in the return game we could be watching the Best Of All Time. Hopefully he'll improve as a WR and see the field.

Chester Pitts - Holding down the LT spot from training camp should help him.

Steve McKinney - Moving back to his natural possition and playing inbetween two solid linemen can only help him.

Robaire Smith - Moving back to DT will be a breath of fresh air for Smith.

Seth Payne - Even being older, he should improve with the help of more talented players around him.

Travis Johnson - It's his second year... he better improve or we wasted a 1st round pick.

Jason Babin - Tough to say how he'll play on the line. I think he'll be solid but make mistakes you'd expect to see from a rookie.

Antwan Peek - Dont know if he'll be playing LB or DE... either way I think Kubiak will be able to help him become a solid NFL player.

Marlon Greenwood - He'll be moving back to his natrual OLB position and should be much better there.

Shante Orr - He really came on at the end of the 05 season... he has no where to go but up.

DaShawn Polk - Same as Orr...

Dunta Robinson - This is HIS year. He will emerge as a top 5 CB.

Phillip Buchanon - He was horrible last year... he can only get better.

C.C. Brown - His sophomore season should be a comming of age year for him.

Glen Earl - If healthy I think he can be one of the best safties in the game.

Trapped said:
David Carr- I expect a Dree Brees type turnaround. Dree Brees came from almost unemployed to now signing a huge contract.

Do or Die for Carr, these next two seasons will define his football career.

We hope but remember the chargers had just drafted a QB in the 1st round that will put fire in to every QB trying to keep there Job and it also helped out that phillip rivers held out and gave drew a chance to keep playing.david simply wont have that motivation since he still is going to be unchallenged for the his position.

but most improved i think will be

D.Carr he cant do any worse can he?:stirpot:
A.J
P.Buchanon he cant do any worse can he?:rolleyes:

Napa Auto Parts said:
We hope but remember the chargers had just drafted a QB in the 1st round that will put fire in to every QB trying to keep there Job and it also helped out that phillip rivers held out and gave drew a chance to keep playing.david simply wont have that motivation since he still is going to be unchallenged for the his position.

Being challenged almost certainly helped Brees but there were other factors as well. Hudson Houck completely revamping the OL. Antonio Gates coming into his own in just his 2nd year as a football player. Adding a vet WR presence in Keenan McCardell into a pretty horid WR situation. And while not on O, the significant improvement of the D after moving to a 3-4 under Phillips helped the entire O out as well. In addition, folks are probably giving Brees too much credit--his 1st and 3rd best receivers were his TE and RB. His top WR had just 690 yds.

infantrycak said:
Being challenged almost certainly helped Brees but there were other factors as well. Hudson Houck completely revamping the OL. Antonio Gates coming into his own in just his 2nd year as a football player. Adding a vet WR presence in Keenan McCardell into a pretty horid WR situation. And while not on O, the significant improvement of the D after moving to a 3-4 under Phillips helped the entire O out as well. In addition, folks are probably giving Brees too much credit--his 1st and 3rd best receivers were his TE and RB. His top WR had just 690 yds.

Well you might be right im sure it cant be that bad having Tomlinson and Gates. thats a pair of decent players at best:sarcasm:

dalemurphy said:
Here's my list:

10. GEarl (healthy)

If all these guys "dramatically improve" next year, then this team definitely will go to the playoffs. But I don't see that happening. Hmmm ... Mathis with 5-6 long TDs? Maybe -- if you add in a couple of KO TD runs. As foir AJ, since when did the former staff not know how to use him? As I recall, AJ went to the Pro Bowl the year before last. The best you can say for Buchanan is "can't get worse?" Hardly a ringing endorsement, and no guarantee that he'll get any better. Greenwood lacks talent, it's as simple as that. Peek with 10-plus sacks? :pigfly:

Hey guys. This is my first post here but I have been browsing the site the last few weeks just checkin it out. About David Carr. Getting somewhat pumped for the season after our free agent aquisitions. And one guy I'm predicting all this will really help is David Carr. Kubiak had some good things to say about him in an article I just read.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3755397.html

Kubiak has watched every play of every game the past two seasons.

"Any time you're not having success, you can get into some bad habits," Kubiak said. "I saw him start to press in a lot of ways. That's common, and if you're a competitor you're going to do that because you're going to try to do more.

Back to me: Got to say I totally agree with Kubes. Let's compare. Recently I heard David Carr mentioned in the same sentence as Drew Brees. Got to say I like the comparison. On to the stats from espn.com:

Drew Brees:
YEAR TEAM G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
2001 SDG 1 15 27 55.6 221 8.2 1 40 0 94.8
2002 SDG 16 320 526 60.8 3284 6.2 17 52 16 76.9
2003 SDG 11 205 356 57.6 2108 5.9 11 68 15 67.5
2004 SDG 15 262 400 65.5 3159 7.9 27 79 7 104.8
2005 SDG 16 323 500 64.6 3576 7.2 24 54 15 89.2
Career 59 1125 1809 62.2 12348 6.8 80 79 53 84.9

David Carr:
YEAR TEAM G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
2002 HOU 16 233 444 52.5 2592 5.8 9 81 15 62.8
2003 HOU 12 167 295 56.6 2013 6.8 9 78 13 69.5
2004 HOU 16 285 466 61.2 3531 7.6 16 69 14 83.5
2005 HOU 16 256 423 60.5 2488 5.9 14 53 11 77.2
Career 60 941 1628 57.8 10624 6.5 48 81 53 73.7

As you can see, Brees has passed for more yards and touchdowns than Carr but as far as QB Rating, they have been fairly similar, until Brees blew it up in 2004. But I must add that Brees also had two of the best passing threats in the league in Tomlinson and Gates, a better offensive line (actually just assuming this from things I have read, but no real proof), a significantly better defense (San Diego with the 13th ranked defense this year), and until Kubes signed a significantly better coaching staff.
Plus did you see David run this year. All he did was rush for the second most yards by a QB. But even better are Carr's stats in 2004. After a dismal 2003 season, Carr stepped it up once AJ came into the picture. So I really do believe Carr has great upside and with some weapons around him, should play as well if not better than Drew Brees(due to his scrambling and athletic ability). All I can say is I'm excited to see what the guy can do. He lit it up at Fresno State (but as so many quarterbacks have proven that means jack) plus he had a pretty good year in 2004. I think the guy can do it, especially with Putzier, AJ, Mathis, Davis, Walters, and hopefully Reggie Bush. And now with Flanagan anchoring the line, maybe he won't lead the league in sacks. Which by the way, even in David Carr's best year, he still led the league in sacks. If that doesn't tell you the guy has the potential to do it then I don't know what all the Carr haters have to see. After all, Kubes has watched every game for the past two years and sees something in Carr. So I don't see any reason why the guy shouldn't light it up.

:twocents:

Welcome to the board.. David will be the QB we thought he is when we drafted him now that we have someone who knows OFFENSE.

Bobo said:
If all these guys "dramatically improve" next year, then this team definitely will go to the playoffs. But I don't see that happening. Hmmm ... Mathis with 5-6 long TDs? Maybe -- if you add in a couple of KO TD runs. As foir AJ, since when did the former staff not know how to use him? As I recall, AJ went to the Pro Bowl the year before last. The best you can say for Buchanan is "can't get worse?" Hardly a ringing endorsement, and no guarantee that he'll get any better. Greenwood lacks talent, it's as simple as that. Peek with 10-plus sacks? :pigfly:

Troll, don't go away mad, just go away.

the chargers replaced 4 starters on the line and finally had a legit TE, that's why brees flourished.

the guys i expect to improve the most are Babin, Wand, and Putz. babin's going to go nuts with his hand on the ground, i cant wait. wand played well and the season he played was our best one from a line standpoint, i still want to draft an OT but i think if given the chance wand can play pretty well. carr just got his new best friend in putz ... it'll suprise me if putz finishes the season with fewer than 60 receptions.

i'm holding out on carr until preseason. i'm glad we have him, i hope for the best, but i want to see a huge leap in comfort & confidence levels with the guys infront of him before making that call.

Bobo said:

I can see dramatic improvement, but I don't see playoffs. Why can't Mathis get 5? Last year he returned 2 for TD's and caught one for a TD as well. The former staff did not know how to use AJ because his total yards were half last year than '04 with the average dropping 5 yards per play and only scored 2 TD's. For the Buchanan hype when he came out of college, consensus is he still hasn't played to his potential - maybe this year we see it? So, yeah - for now it's a "cant' get worse" to see if he fits the new system. By the way, Peek had 6 sacks last year (his most to date) - so 10 is possible. Anything else spinner?

David Carr, unquestionably. I agree with the Brees comparisons. L.T. made him that much better & so will Reggie with Carr (If we do indeed go that way.).

liked the comparison with Brees. I really hope Carr is able to turn around. I know i've def. changed my stance on him ever since that game he was checking off at the line and made his own, good, decisions. From then, i've been gradually accepting Carr as a decent QB that may work if he could stay off his back. I'm sure Kubiak as already dignosed his problems and, with kubes being an ex-QB, i think more consideration will go into helping Carr out.I give Carr a big turnaround this year. Man, seems every day i get more and more excited about the upcoming season.

Go Texans!:redtowel:

Who won't improve? Honestly, I think you are going to see a completely different team out there this year in terms of coaches putting players in a position to succeed.

My short list is Carr, AJ (better playcalling and hopefully we spread the ball around to keep him out of double teams), Mathis (utilized in passing game), D-Rob (playcalling and a real pass rush is good for your DBs), and Peek.

I've heard rumors that the coaches might throw slants to Dre this year to take advantage of his speed and power. This might be an improvement to his catching the ball behind the line of scrimmage while standing still. :rolleyes:

You all keep saying "he can't get any worse", but don't even mention that he didn't just have a bad year......he didn't even try.

If they keep him, and he comes to play, I will be happy. I just never got past his matador move in the Steelers game last year.

Runner said:
I've heard rumors that the coaches might throw slants to Dre this year to take advantage of his speed and power. This might be an improvement to his catching the ball behind the line of scrimmage while standing still. :rolleyes:

Right on. As much as I enjoyed the "AJ screen" -- a healthy twenty times a game -- I think the guy can run some different routes. Maybe some deep ones even? I still remember Carr hitting him for 50 as he walked into the endzone in the Arizona game, and thinking to myself ... well where the hell has that been all year?

I would love to see more slants, posts, and pretty much anything else to take advantage of the gaping midfield seam that existed throughout the entire season last year.

Ibar_Harry said:
The biggest of all them - COACHING STAFF ......................

biggest improvement of defense will be the switch to the 4-3. travis johnson is going to be a monster in the 4-3. kubiak and his offensive mind will help, but the o-line with the addition of flanagan and mckinney playing his old spot will be the main help.

kubiak will work wonders with carr. reggie or no reggie, i still think we are going to be alot better. domanick davis is kubiaks kind of back, and even with limited reps last yr, davis still ran for more than 4.0 yds a carry. his endurance will be a question mark however. i still think that if we dont take bush, we should trade down and get 2 firsts and take the best CB and best OT available.

jerek said:
Right on. As much as I enjoyed the "AJ screen" -- a healthy twenty times a game -- I think the guy can run some different routes. Maybe some deep ones even? I still remember Carr hitting him for 50 as he walked into the endzone in the Arizona game, and thinking to myself ... well where the hell has that been all year?

I would love to see more slants, posts, and pretty much anything else to take advantage of the gaping midfield seam that existed throughout the entire season last year.

Yes yes and yes, I agree all around. It is exciting to think about, especially if Walter makes an impact, Mathis sees more action, and a good TE. And that is not even factoring in the draft. Good things, I see good things. :redtowel:

I think the improved players will be:
Carr- New offense, new coaches,OL improvement,more weapons
AJ- New additions Putzier,Walter will take some heat off
DD- If Bush is drafted,lighter load= longevity,stamina
PBuch- better do something or no one will want him
Greenwood- back to familiar posistion
Orr- maybe a starter,i look for 10+ sacks
Payne and Robaire- stuff the run we have DE's now

dalemurphy said:
Here's my list:

10. GEarl (healthy)

Excellent post. I hope you're right. And I think you might be....

i think the most improved player that we wont talk about much now is going to be travis johnson. i love ur assessment on him dalemurphy. he ought to be a force up the middle, and should draw double teams, freeing up babin or peek, who will play better out of the crouch stance at the end of the line.

1. Carr- Showed 2 years ago that he was headed in the right direction
2. McKinney- Back to his proper position, will play beside 2 good players with a chip on his shoulder.
3. AJ- Hopefully with Carr getting better and a possible good # 2, he will be back to his pro-bowl form, and hopefully a lot better than that.
4. Buchanan- With a pass rush he should get picks.
5. Greenwood- Back to where he played great in Miami, this is why we rought him here, not a 3-4 ILB.
6. Babin & Peek- Back to original positions and should combine for 15+ sacks
7. TJ- Hopefully we get to see this guy terrorize the interior of the line...doesnt want Brodrick Bunkley to show him up.
8. Earl- Should be fully recovered and had a lot of playing time last year.
9. Mathis- Hope for some time @ WR, should be just as good as a KR
10. D-Rob- 3rd year, the # 1 guy, he is confident and he should play like it.
11. Weaver- I think we can expect good things from him...high motor kinda player.
12. DD & V-Mo- They should do well in the ZB scheme...if we get Reggie they will battle hard for some playing time so expect their best
13. TE position- we finally have a good one:redtowel:

Dunta_23 said:
1. Carr- Showed 2 years ago that he was headed in the right direction
2. McKinney- Back to his proper position, will play beside 2 good players with a chip on his shoulder.
3. AJ- Hopefully with Carr getting better and a possible good # 2, he will be back to his pro-bowl form, and hopefully a lot better than that.
4. Buchanan- With a pass rush he should get picks.
5. Greenwood- Back to where he played great in Miami, this is why we rought him here, not a 3-4 ILB.
6. Babin & Peek- Back to original positions and should combine for 15+ sacks
7. TJ- Hopefully we get to see this guy terrorize the interior of the line...doesnt want Brodrick Bunkley to show him up.
8. Earl- Should be fully recovered and had a lot of playing time last year.
9. Mathis- Hope for some time @ WR, should be just as good as a KR
10. D-Rob- 3rd year, the # 1 guy, he is confident and he should play like it.
11. Weaver- I think we can expect good things from him...high motor kinda player.
12. DD & V-Mo- They should do well in the ZB scheme...if we get Reggie they will battle hard for some playing time so expect their best
13. TE position- we finally have a good one:redtowel:

7. TJ- Did anyone see TJ improve over the season? He looks alittle under-sized but I hope this was a good draft pick for us. :brickwall

Reading this thread, I would say the thing that we can say has definitely improved is the tone of the fans on this board.

End of last season it was UGLY!!

Now it is all hope and optimism.......

Oh and with the team, I will think playcalling will be the biggest improvement.... some coaches who will use the talent we have to its full

El Amigo Invisible said:
7. TJ- Did anyone see TJ improve over the season? He looks alittle under-sized but I hope this was a good draft pick for us. :brickwall

Johnson, Travis DE 6-3 305

That is plenty big, especially now that he will be able to play as a 1 gap penetrator like he was in college instead of having to sit and clog.

Top 10 places the Texans will be most improved this year...

Number 10- the kicking game. Both Stanley and Brown had off years in '05.

Number 9- AJ. The calf injury, 2 second or less pass patterns, no viable #2, no TE to work the middle to keep the SS honest, poor coaching, sophmore slump...take your pick. AJ comes back big time this year for us.

Number 8-the turnover battle. 30% new players on the roster + new coaches who will have us thinking less and hitting more will = significant improvement here.

Number 7-Sacks given up. Flanagan, 1-2 contributors in the draft, players back into their natural positions + good coaching = Carr stays vertical a lot more.

Number 6-TE productivity. Putzier + Kubiak and better pass blocking = finally a threat to the middle of the field and better red zone options for TD's vs. FG's.

Number 5- Penalties. No way Kubiak and company won't make this better.

Number 4-Game plans and half-time adjustments. The playing field between our coaches and theirs is finally level.

Number 3-the draft. Kubiak, Reeves, our FA moves and McNair's supervision help CC do a much better job this year than what we have been getting...especially in rounds 2-3.

Number 2-David Carr. Kubiak does his Yoda thing and turns our QB into an NFL Jedi.

And the Number 1 place the Texans will improve this year- Wins vs Losses. All of the above + more = a trip from the basement to respectability at 7-9.:redtowel:

kiwitexansfan said:
Johnson, Travis DE 6-3 305

That is plenty big, especially now that he will be able to play as a 1 gap penetrator like he was in college instead of having to sit and clog.

How big are Walker and Payne? He looked really small compared to them. I think it was Indy's O line( who are not very big) he did not look too threating. I just do not know what Capers saw in this kid but by all means I hope he brings some nastiness to our defense(it could help P-Burnt out alot).

A4toZ said:
I can see dramatic improvement, but I don't see playoffs. Why can't Mathis get 5? Last year he returned 2 for TD's and caught one for a TD as well. The former staff did not know how to use AJ because his total yards were half last year than '04 with the average dropping 5 yards per play and only scored 2 TD's. For the Buchanan hype when he came out of college, consensus is he still hasn't played to his potential - maybe this year we see it? So, yeah - for now it's a "cant' get worse" to see if he fits the new system. By the way, Peek had 6 sacks last year (his most to date) - so 10 is possible. Anything else spinner?

Umm, AJ's yards were cut in half because he was injured last year. Remember? So are you going to blame the former staff for him getting hurt? Seems to me you are the one who is spinning.

Bobo said:
Umm, AJ's yards were cut in half because he was injured last year. Remember? So are you going to blame the former staff for him getting hurt? Seems to me you are the one who is spinning.

So his average per play dropped as well because of an injury?

I Feel Louis Sanders Is On His Way Up. He Is Doing Really Good And Has Potentual To Be The Best.how Do I Know This..im His Aunt And I Know What He Can Do In The Field.keep Up The Good Work Louis.aunt Kathy

Back