Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

who was mario picked by

hot pickle

Canada Eh
who do yall made the ultimate decision to go with mario, was it casserly, McNair, Kubiak, Richard Smith

i serously think that it was McNair's pick and not kubiak, cause what coach would turn down reggie bush?

but dont get me wrong, i still suport mario, but i would rather have reggie
but whatever, nothing i can do

who do yall made the ultimate decision to go with mario, was it casserly, McNair, Kubiak, Richard Smith

i serously think that it was McNair's pick and not kubiak, cause what coach would turn down reggie bush?

It was Kubiak, even said he would still take Mario if he knew DD couldn't play the season.

i just dont get it then? :brickwall idonno:

but does it really feel that way in his heart?, or does he say that just cuz he doesnt want media latchin on to it?

I think that Mario was Kubiak's pick because he knew that the defense needed the most work.

Personally, I still think that both Bush and Young are going to be busts. I still think Mario was the best pick at #1.

BTW, I was one of the ones who thought we should trade down and get more picks. I was in the DBrick camp.

sacks by mario, his game will come, and i still think we will be lucky if we win 4
i think 6 sacks for mario this season

I think the D-line coach (Karmelowicz) really wanted Mario, but he had his best interest in mind rather than the team's best interest. I think the o-coordinator (Calhoun) wanted Bush as badly as the d-coordinator (Smith) wanted Mario, and Kubiak made the final decision.

Kubiak has more power with the Texans than anyone has had previously.

I think that Mario was Kubiak's pick because he knew that the defense needed the most work.

Personally, I still think that both Bush and Young are going to be busts. I still think Mario was the best pick at #1.

BTW, I was one of the ones who thought we should trade down and get more picks. I was in the DBrick camp.

I still think that Mario was a good pick, but I don't think that Reggie and Vince are going to be busts at all.

It makes sense that it was Kubiak's choice. Frankly, he's had plenty of success with a mediocre quarterback and late-round running backs. And because he can't micromanage the defense, it makes sense to try to compensate with better personnel.

Kubiak's choice. Why? Because his ego told him he could succeed with ANY running back in his system just like Shanny. Very bad choice IMO.

The Texans need to draft football players and not athletes. They spend too much time eyeing beef cake at the combine and timing forty yard dashes. They need to pay more attention to how the players looked in the real games they played. If they would have done that simple thing Mario would not have been a first round draft pick. He did not tear up the ACC while at NCS. Among other things he took too many plays off. Well, guess what he is still taking plays off but he now has a fat wallet.

Well casserly defended that pick and said he made it so i tend to believe him why would he lie but he was also quoted as saying that if he knew DD was not going to play he would take bush.:yahoo:

Difficult year for a trade down with so much talent near the top of the draft.

In any event, Kubiak made the pick. IIRC, I read somewhere that Mario is the youngest starter in the NFL (he came out as a true junior). It's hard to depend so much on a rookie, especially one that doesn't have too many studs on the line to help out.

That being said, even if you are depending a lot on rookies, no DC should run a defense that allows nearly 500 yards per game.

At this point, I don't even think Mario's mom would say that!

I am most emphatically not Mario's mom.

But, given the players that were being considered with the #1 pick, I don't think any of them are performing: Mario, Bush, VY. Of the other guys in the top 10, I don't think any of them are exactly setting the league on fire.

kubiak made the pick and it follows the denver style. take the best athlete on defense first, and pick your role players on offense later. unless someone is just off the charts as far as character, position and ability, this is likely going to be the trend with kubiak at the helm. it works for denver, and as we build our team, it'll work here.

It makes sense that it was Kubiak's choice. Frankly, he's had plenty of success with a mediocre quarterback and late-round running backs. And because he can't micromanage the defense, it makes sense to try to compensate with better personnel.

One thing that we all need to understand...we are not the Denver Broncos!!! The same things that work for them are not gonna work for us. The fans need to get off that trip. We need a stud running back not a late round pick. If thats the case, why the heck are the rb's that we have not grinding out the yds. What happened to Wali Lundy?? Dayne is done by the 2nd quarter and Gado is a joke. I said it before the season started...The RB position is going to be our achillies heel. Guess what, I was right. LOL...top 5 pick here we come!!! By the way the Defense freakin sux.

ANOTHER DISSAPOINTING LOSS, so we can MOVE ON or re-hash the past :deadhorse

this was by far & away the Texans best draft class, a couple more similar drafts and we will have ourselves a winner, but for now we have to suck it up and be patient.

One thing that we all need to understand...we are not the Denver Broncos!!! The same things that work for them are not gonna work for us. The fans need to get off that trip. We need a stud running back not a late round pick. If thats the case, why the heck are the rb's that we have not grinding out the yds. What happened to Wali Lundy?? Dayne is done by the 2nd quarter and Gado is a joke. I said it before the season started...The RB position is going to be our achillies heel. Guess what, I was right. LOL...top 5 pick here we come!!! By the way the Defense freakin sux.

IMO you're wrong. It's hard if not impossible to establish a running game when you're behind. Houstons problem is in the D, in the lack of pressure.

matt lepsis, george foster, tom nalen, ben hamilton, & cooper carlisle (combined, have played 40 years in the broncos' organization ... all denver draft picks). these are the reasons that denver can use anyone they want at RB and be effective. they have both the scheme and personnel in place to create studs. incase you're new to the texans, the best players on our offensive line are a rookie left tackle and an injured center in his first year here. barry sanders doesnt accomplish anything behind this line and without a defense to get the ball back to them. what happened this offseason to remedy the situation however is drafting 2 tackles on the first day and signing a center with probowl experience. until we finish with the line though, an overpaid rookie running into mckinney's backside isnt the best idea.

McNair without a doubt. He's got self confidence issues and doesn't want any players or agents to think he's weak. That's why they failed to grab Bush. The tent's not big enough for the owner's ego and any who would challenge the owner for "control". Until this owner can get out of the way, the team is screwed.

McNair without a doubt. He's got self confidence issues and doesn't want any players or agents to think he's weak. That's why they failed to grab Bush. The tent's not big enough for the owner's ego and any who would challenge the owner for "control". Until this owner can get out of the way, the team is screwed.

Huh?

He said it was a football decision and not a marketing decision. From a marketing perspective, the easiest thing in the world for McNair to do would be to draft Reggie Bush.

You know, there are enough real problems with this team without making stuff up.

Yeah and the CIA killed Kennedy. Get over yourselves and your conspiracy theories. Kubiak said he made the call. Casserly said Kubiak made the call. Take the tin foil hats off and accept that Kubiak wanted the D player. Friggin ridiculous revisiting topics with no new facts and just rank speculation.

It's more clear every game that Mario was the right pick at the time. Our defense is on pace to give up 522 points this season. While that's not as much as the Greatest Show on Turf scored, it's damn close.

Whether or not Mario lives up to potential (and I'm becoming skeptical that he's as good as he was touted), he was the #1 defensive guy on everyone's board.

So if your defense is that bad, you have to go with the best defensive player.

Huh?

He said it was a football decision and not a marketing decision. From a marketing perspective, the easiest thing in the world for McNair to do would be to draft Reggie Bush.

You know, there are enough real problems with this team without making stuff up.

I say it was a power decision. Bush was their pick until his agent bowed up. Everything else is SPIN.

Yeah and the CIA killed Kennedy. Get over yourselves and your conspiracy theories. Kubiak said he made the call. Casserly said Kubiak made the call. Take the tin foil hats off and accept that Kubiak wanted the D player. Friggin ridiculous revisiting topics with no new facts and just rank speculation.

Actually it was Castro who killed Kennedy and the US made a deal with Castro and the USSR that the head of state hits would stop after that one. Kennedy got offed for bungling Castro's attempted offings. Next conspiracy please.

It was all love and kisses until the 11th hour when management couldn't get a deal done with Bush then the call went to Williams people that he was the pick. This has all been documented. You think mgmt comes out and says we are taking plan B because plan A has too big an ego and our owner is deathly afraid of losing "control". It's his toy. I hope he's enjoying the show.

Oh and David Carr is the second coming of Jim Zorn. Here's looking forward to ten plus years of torment. Maybe his little brother can come in after him retirement and keep the dynasty going.

Difficult year for a trade down with so much talent near the top of the draft.

In any event, Kubiak made the pick. IIRC, I read somewhere that Mario is the youngest starter in the NFL (he came out as a true junior). It's hard to depend so much on a rookie, especially one that doesn't have too many studs on the line to help out.

That being said, even if you are depending a lot on rookies, no DC should run a defense that allows nearly 500 yards per game.

Right on...........:)

It was Kubiak. Go back and look at the problems the Broncos have had finding good D-linemen over the past few years. Remember them getting the entire Cleveland Browns D-line last year (the Browns were 32nd in run D in 2004)? Then look at their history of turning "nobodies" into 1000 yard backs. I understand his logic, but the problem is that Mario Williams was not the right guy to do that with. Now if it had been Julius Peppers....

I say it was a power decision. Bush was their pick until his agent bowed up. Everything else is SPIN.

My point is that it was far from a unanimous decision, and in the end it was Kubiak's pick.

While so many of us our patting ourselves on the back about the first pick, let's also remember that most people on this board were angry we didn't pick Winston in the second round. Many wanted to trade back into the first to get him. We did well by waiting to pick him in the third. Imagine if our first two picks were Mario and a player that can't break the line-up in our historically weak line!

Yes, the Mario pick is looking like a huge glaring mistake, but the staff was not totally incompetent; they did pretty well in the rest of the draft.

I am not defending this staff as error free (see some of my other recent posts), but they did pretty well in the draft. They just may have made a very expensive mistake with pick number one.

David Carr is not big in the pocket. He's really a gamer and is an accurate thrower (albeit weak). He can't hold the ball and he get's lost in the pocket. His delivery is a rocking chair motion that has him crouching lower. Compare to Rosenfelds who throw more off his front foot thus creating a more upright throwin motion. David Carr is a clone of Jim Zorn from the physical to the mental. Tough but overmatched and tiny hands that can't hold the ball under pressure.

At this point it's all about attitude. The team needs a new one. It needs hope. We are all utterly disgusted by what we see on the field. How about a change at the top???!!!????!!!??!!?? Is that too much to ask?

All I have to say is if it was a "football decision" to take Williams of Bush, then why not take the impact player over the athelete? The last time I checked Bush has been contributing to his team's wins (and will continue to do so tonight in prime time), and Williams has been nothing more than a spectator in uniform for our 3 games. How does a guy his size and with his "talent" get dominated by smaller FB's so easily? DE's are right up front where all the action takes place, you'd think he'd get in on more than 2 tackles. We already know sacks aren't going to come, at least not from this unit. So tackles are all we can get excited about and you mean to tell me the #1 pick can only manage 2/game if that?

Plus with all the money we spent overhauling our defense you'd think we'd be a little better. I know we shouldn't expect an overnight change, but this is rediculous. Last year's defense wasn't this bad 3 games into the season. In back to back weeks we've given up 400 yards passing, and had an NFL record set againt us. Does anyone on this defense have any pride? What is it going to take to light a fire under these guys? It's not even entertaining to watch their games anymore. I think Dunta said it best. "Things gotta change or else we'll be the laughing stock of the NFL again." Somebody should tell them they already are. Now we are going to have to spend next year's #1 pick getting right what we screwed up this year.

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

It was Kubiak, even said he would still take Mario if he knew DD couldn't play the season.

If Kubiak did say this and still stands by it then I question his judgement...

Mario was a terrible pick even if DD was 100% healthy...

That has to be coach speak or he is loony and we will never win with him as head coach if he cannot evaluate talent any better than that...

I agree that Vince Young will be a bust; we'll see about Bush. Mario Williams was the better pick. You really have to trust the coaches with this one, because you're not going to see the immediate impact a player like Bush might be able to give you.

Kubiak's call. Several extremely reliable team sources who were in on the entire process have told me this. Take it FWIW.

I am sick of reading about wah wah Reggie Bush wah wah automatic touchdown wah wah. He would be the same slot receiver here that he is in NO. He would be valuable to us on offense but right now we're not going to outscore anybody when our defense can't get more than 2 stops per game, and you're a fool if you think there would be any difference in our W column right now had we drafted differently.

IIRC, I read somewhere that Mario is the youngest starter in the NFL (he came out as a true junior). It's hard to depend so much on a rookie, especially one that doesn't have too many studs on the line to help out.

Good point about his age. I haven't really thought about that.

It Richard Smith's pick, I remember he praised MW physical sized. Kube don't know much about defense side of the ball and he trust RS. Which I think MW is a bust pick.

It Richard Smith's pick, I remember he praised MW physical sized. Kube don't know much about defense side of the ball and he trust RS. Which I think MW is a bust pick.

Good grief, Smith wasn't even with the club at that point in time. Casserly was still here at draft time. Smith was asked later when he joined the club what he thought of Mario and that is when he said he liked his size.

Holy )){EDFU()SFOSD:LKGL:KDGJG, the pick was Kubiak's. Stop )(U)E{(UTR()WEURISDOGSDON#$#%#% (#ERU )Q#( %&#)#ITDO over the thing and acting like there is any issue over that. Holy Madre de Jesus )#U%+()*&#_)@&(%_#%& ;lskdf five #_%*#_%* pages of insanity.

IMO you're wrong. It's hard if not impossible to establish a running game when you're behind. Houstons problem is in the D, in the lack of pressure.

I am talking about our running back situation first of all, and secondly if you carefully read the last sentence in my message you will see what i think about our defense. By the way, you can not establish a running game when you dont have a rb which we dont IMO. At least not one that will help sustain a drive. Doesn't open up a thing for us offensively. Houston we have a problem...we need a stud RB and a better defense.

Back