Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who says Politics can't determine who Starts & Plays ?

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
"In a hotly contested game on a cool afternoon, Orr dove in pursuit of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, forcing a crucial intentional grounding call that helped the Texans seal their fifth win of the season with two minutes to play at Reliant Stadium.
As awe-inspiring as Orr’s effort was, the former undrafted free agent from Michigan didn’t fully arrive on the map until two years later. Last Sunday, when the Texans battled the physical, albeit unspectacular, Baltimore Ravens’ offense, Orr did his best Ray Lewis impersonation when he made a club-record three sacks, forced a fumble and totaled seven tackles."
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=2245
Many of us complained loud and often on this Board about how Jason Babin
was just handed the starting job at LB last year after being picked in the first round of the NFL college Draft only a few months earlier at the behest of Vic Fangio, the Texans DC. Here's a story about another LB on the Texans roster
who finished out the previous season(2003) with a steller performance but who has all but been forgotten until this year. Anybody who says politices never has anything to do with who plays and who doesn't, I say BS. And why do you think Weary and not Wand got the nod at RG in Nashville today ? And why can't we play Ragone in a game or two instead of Carr ?

Coach C. said:
Orr was drafted in the 7th round. His first name is Raheem.

Wrong Orr..that one never made it past pre-season. Shantee Orr(#53) was undrafted out of Michigan, cut by the Packers, before being picked-up. He has managed to work his way into being more productive than any of the OLB converts (Peek, Babin, R, Orr, anderson, Pettaway) that were actually drafted.

nunusguy said:
And why do you think Weary and not Wand got the nod at RG in Nashville today?
They probably want the veteran on Kyle Vanden Bosch, who is having a career year. T

ArlingtonTexan said:
Wrong Orr..that one never made it past pre-season. Shantee Orr(#53) was undrafted out of Michigan, cut by the Packers, before being picked-up. He has managed to work his way into being more productive than any of the OLB converts (Peek, Babin, R, Orr, anderson, Pettaway) that were actually drafted.

Your right my bad. Thought he was talking about the other cat for some reason.

Vinny said:
They probably want the veteran on Kyle Vanden Bosch, who is having a career year. T

On Casserly's 610 show, IIRC, he said 1. Weary gives you the best chance to win; 2. His contract is up, so they want to see how he produces.

Texans_Chick said:
On Casserly's 610 show, IIRC, he said 1. Weary gives you the best chance to win; 2. His contract is up, so they want to see how he produces.

I honestly don't know what to believe because we have juggled the OL so much..We have gone from Wand starting to can't sniff the starting lineup, to Riley going from starter to out of the league, A rookie that was deactivated for 4 games then put into the starting lineup at Center. I know injuries have played a key in all this, but I can't see a method to their madness.

I understand that his contract is up and they want to see what he can do, but I just think this is a Wizard of Oz moment and Casserly is the Wizard and our coaching staff well lets just say I thnk they are flying.

Coach C. said:
Your right my bad. Thought he was talking about the other cat for some reason.

Trust me, I understand.

BTW, on the Weary thing, is it just me or do the Texans have too many players on the team that mangaement is unsure of what the player can do.

ArlingtonTexan said:
Trust me, I understand.

BTW, on the Weary thing, is it just me or do the Texans have too many players on the team that mangaement is unsure of what the player can do.

exactly my thoughts from middle of the season the report is eveyone was practicing at a different position?
nothing wrong with that if you are in training camp.

Seems like we used all the money on our huge scouting department and did not bring in internal talent evaluators for the team. How can you scout for a draft and FA if you dont know what you have. Seems like there is a reason we give up picks for guys and get FAs that dont help much.

Don't give Capers credit for Wand not playing, that's Pendry's decision. Caper's lets his coordinators have free rein on playing decisions. And it is all political. No one is saying what Wand did to get on Pendry's "@^!#*" list, but he's there and it's not because he is not "athletic" enough. Wand is an example why this coaching staff needs to seek emplyment elsewhere, they will not get past their pettiness to do what is best for the team.

Texans_Chick said:
1. Weary gives you the best chance to win;

That is so much hot air. The best chance to win is Weigert at guard and Wand at tackle. If they want to evaluate Weary, than do it and don't be afraid to admit it. At least that is a real goal.

Politics obviously played a roll this year; I've yet to see a convincing argument of why playing Riley was the "best chance to win" at any position, much less the left tackle position he was given as a gift to start the year.

It is obvious that "non-Wandedness" trumps all else for Pendry when shuffling and reshuffling the lineup. He's got a guy that's been playing guard for years playing tackle instead of last year's starting tackle. At least he's consistent - way to go, Joe!.

Runner said:
That is so much hot air. The best chance to win is Weigert at guard and Wand at tackle. If they want to evaluate Weary, than do it and don't be afraid to admit it. At least that is a real goal.

Politics obviously played a roll this year; I've yet to see a convincing argument of why playing Riley was the "best chance to win" at any position, much less the left tackle position he was given as a gift to start the year.

It is obvious that "non-Wandedness" trumps all else for Pendry when shuffling and reshuffling the lineup. He's got a guy that's been playing guard for years playing tackle instead of last year's starting tackle. At least he's consistent - way to go, Joe!.

ecember 8, 2005
Victor Victimized

At long last, heads are starting to roll at Reliant Park. Too little, too late.

The Texans placed offensive lineman Victor Riley on waivers Wednesday, ending his 2005 season with the team with four games still to play.

It has been a strange trip to Houston for the veteran, who had played at right tackle his entire pro career prior to joining the Texans. Riley reported to mini-camp overweight, then dropped the extra pounds before training camp. He won the Week 1 starting job at left tackle but was demoted midseason. His stints at right tackle and right guard were not impressive, as it appeared that Riley might have added back some of the weight he lost over the summer.

The timing of Riley's dismissal is intriguing. The Texans signed him to a one-year, incentive-laden contract in May. Riley earned a $100,000 bonus when he made the roster and played his first game, but it is unknown whether his release saved the team another $185,000 in other playing-time incentives.

With Riley gone, the Texans will promote fourth-year lineman Fred Weary to the active roster this Sunday against the Titans. His start at right guard will be his first on-field action since the 2004 season.

they said it
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/

Weigert will probably tangle more with Vanden Bosch than Weary will today - except for the stunts.

But....Weary will have his hands full helping McKinney with Starks.

aj. said:
But....Weary will have his hands full helping McKinney with Starks.
Starks, aw man don't get me started on Starks ! How could that guy have
remained on the Board until what, the third round ? What happened to him,
because many mocks early on had him going in the ffirst round with Harris
and Wilfork.

Runner said:
I meant "the best chance to win" stuff was hot air.

oh i was agreeing with ya!
Way I interpreted the article was ..we signed a guy who played RT, his whole career..comes in overweight..slims down we give him LT and then he gains his wait back and is out of the league..

strange

Wow - that line sure is giving them the best chance to win. Milford Brown is certainly regressing today. The inside is caving a lot too. Too bad they don't have a tackle available so that Weigert could help shore up the inside.

Back