Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Which Texans running back will end up being The Man?

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
This is the title of the latest FanBlog post: Link

Stuff that you prolly know, and stuff that you might not.

This is more of a thought exercise on various things we know about the running back situation right now.

Prolly this post will look foolish in hindsight, but you never know.

:texflag:

Dominick will be the man if he is knee is repaired and won't break down. If it does, I think Antowain Smith might surprise a few people here and around the league. A fresh start back in Houston, his alma mater, and looking spry. Smith has always been undervalued in my opionion. He did a pretty good job last year in a ugly situation and it is not like he doesn't have a Super Bowl ring as a starter. That all said, if Dominick is healthy, he will be the man.

Texans_Chick said:
This is the title of the latest FanBlog post: Link

Stuff that you prolly know, and stuff that you might not.

This is more of a thought exercise on various things we know about the running back situation right now.

Prolly this post will look foolish in hindsight, but you never know.

:texflag:

TC, as usual, a nice synopsis of the RB status. As I have written for the past few months, I worry about the presence/development of degenerative arthritic (bone on bone) changes, alone or with other continuing undisclosed problems which may worsen his (Davis') condition. This has been reinforced by the recent announcement of a "bone bruise."

To quote the conclusion of your link on "bone bruise":

as clinicians we must assume that bone bruising as a single entity is a harbinger of posttraumatic arthritis

CloakNNNdagger said:
TC, as usual, a nice synopsis of the RB status. As I have written for the past few months, I worry about the presence/development of degenerative arthritic (bone on bone) changes, alone or with other continuing undisclosed problems which may worsen his (Davis') condition. This has been reinforced by the recent announcement of a "bone bruise."

To quote the conclusion of your link on "bone bruise":

Yup, I was thinking of you when I put that stuff in there.

I figured it would be better than saying, some dude that posts thoughtful stuff on the Texans MB says that this could be doubleplus ungood. :cool:

Cuz some people might think, well it is only a bone bruise--I knock my shin into the coffee table all the time:

BK%20film%20still3.jpg

The most spectacular player on the Houston Texans is Chris Taylor. Many of you have never seen anyone quite like him. He's exceptionally fast, versatile, durable and hard nosed determined not only to make the Texans football team but be recognized league wide for being the true most valuable player in the NFL!

Texans_Chick said:
Yup, I was thinking of you when I put that stuff in there.

I figured it would be better than saying, some dude that posts thoughtful stuff on the Texans MB says that this could be doubleplus ungood. :cool:

Cuz some people might think, well it is only a bone bruise--I knock my shin into the coffee table all the time:

BK%20film%20still3.jpg

Chris Taylor MVP said:
The most spectacular player on the Houston Texans is Chris Taylor. Many of you have never seen anyone quite like him. He's exceptionally fast, versatile, durable and hard nosed determined not only to make the Texans football team but be recognized league wide for being the true most valuable player in the NFL!

Is that you Chris?

If Domanick Davis is injured, I hope the Texans can trade for someone. I don't know if Thomas Jones is available, especially now that Cedric Benson got injured, but if he is I would go after him. I would try Chris Brown too, but I don't think he'll be traded.

Though, my user name is Chris Taylor, I am not Chris.
It's just that I've watched him grow into being a humbled, hard working child academically and athletically all his life. He's one of the rare athletes who are highly competitive in what ever he does. He never gives up whether on the field or in life. You will never catch him in bars at night. But you can definitely find him studying film and the written information needed to be the best. I will guarantee you this, Chris works harder, studies harder than anyone on the Texans team. Mark my words, actions speak louder than words and Chris Taylor's actions will definitely prove the words, 'Chris Taylor MVP', is the Truth!

tulexan said:
Is that you Chris?

Luv_ya_blue said:
Is it ridiculously optimistic to still be holding out for Reggie Bush???
:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot::stirpot:
Nope? Just ridiculous.

Thats it blue....your one post away from my ignore list....say something nice about David Carr and I SWEAR I'll click the button.

Chris Taylor MVP said:
Though, my user name is Chris Taylor, I am not Chris.
It's just that I've watched him grow into being a humbled, hard working child academically and athletically all his life. He's one of the rare athletes who are highly competitive in what ever he does. He never gives up whether on the field or in life. You will never catch him in bars at night. But you can definitely find him studying film and the written information needed to be the best. I will guarantee you this, Chris works harder, studies harder than anyone on the Texans team. Mark my words, actions speak louder than words and Chris Taylor's actions will definitely prove the words, 'Chris Taylor MVP', is the Truth!

....Monarch???

Chris Taylor MVP said:

Appreciate your enthusiasm.

I think that the biggest knock against Taylor is that he didn't have a lot of experience in college, and is relatively raw.

I think that the biggest thing that can be helpful to Taylor is that Kubiak doesn't care about where or if you were drafted, he just wants people that can play.

Welcome to the message board--it would be a nice story if Taylor could contribute to the team.

P.S. Are you Chris' mom or someone else related to him?

I like what I've been hearing about Taylor. It they get the line set it may not matter who the man back there is. Denver has always been able to find nuggets where everyone else sees only rocks. I think Kubes/Smith will begin to do the same in Houston.

TexanBacker93 said:
I like what I've been hearing about Taylor. It they get the line set it may not matter who the man back there is. Denver has always been able to find nuggets where everyone else sees only rocks. I think Kubes/Smith will begin to do the same in Houston.

Gossip is that the Texans like Taylor but that maybe he has hit a little bit of a wall in camp. He got smacked pretty hard once in camp today trying to turn the corner, and I was worried he might not get up. I had one of those moments where I actually thought, boy they need to show a replay of that, and then realized where I was at. Duh no replays.

Smith looked nice in camp today.

I don't recall seeing Morency today, but that doesn't mean he wasn't out there--I was moving around and visiting some with folks. I saw for sure Smith, Taylor, Lundy but I didn't notice Morency or Rhodes, but I mighta just not been watching attentively. EDIT: Wait a sec, I did see Rhodes at least once. I gave him a WTG. :)

To set the record straight, I am not related to Chris Taylor.
I am a great fan of his. No matter how hard he's hit, he will
score touchdowns and be the MVP. Just wait and see!

Chris Taylor MVP said:
To set the record straight, I am not related to Chris Taylor.
I am a great fan of his. No matter how hard he's hit, he will
score touchdowns and be the MVP. Just wait and see!

It would be a great story. Kubiak has done good things with lower drafted and undrafted players in the past, and running backs have a lesser learning curve than some positions, so you just never know.

He has just about the best situation for him to succeed in.

On one hand, he has relatively little college RB experience. OTOH, that means there is less tread on the tires.

I would love for him to score touchdowns and be the MVP. Just a few things would make me happier. :redtowel:

I personally am rooting for Wali Lundy to take over. I just think he is the best fit for what Kubiak is looking for. He runs with good power, balance, vision, and has a knack for finding the endzone. Lundy is a very similar player to Mike Anderson in my opinion. Nothing pretty but he gets the job done.

From today's camp quotes:

(on RB Domanick Davis) “To be honest, our plan for Domanick was to play him quite a bit in this game (Kansas City Pre-season game) and the Denver game, and to keep him off the turf when we go to St. Louis. It looks like that plan is going to change. I don’t think it’s time to panic. It seems like we’ve been at it a long time as I said this morning, but we’ve only been at it ten, 11, 12 days and I’m not sure exactly what it is, but we still have plenty of time to get it done. The key is that Domanick has to respond. We have to get his knee back to the first day he stepped on the field and to get the swelling out, and we haven’t been able to do that up to this point. (head athletic trainer) Kevin (Bastin) thinks we’re making progress. Like I said, it could be Wednesday; it could be Thursday; it could be next Monday, but I don’t want to put anything on him. I just say we keep doing what we’re doing, and when you’re ready to go, we’ll go.”

(on ample talent to back up Domanick Davis) “Oh yeah, we have to have. We’re putting this team together to go play Philadelphia. Right now we’re looking forward to Philadelphia, if Domanick isn’t ready to go, the guy that dots the I for us as a football team is going to be one of those five guys out there working everyday. Who’s it going to be? I don’t know. In the pre-season we’ll find out; whoever steps to the plate and does it. Like I said, I don’t care where they came from or how they got here. If they’re the best guy playing football, they’re going to be the one playing for us.”

Had to search for input on Taylor but after considerable effort he looks really good.

Never fumbled in a college game, 4.4 speed, and good work ethic. Is he our fastest RB?

He’s got heart, speed, and skill. If this new blocking scheme floats with our OL then he’s the best fit. Who’s watched him, is he fast out there in TC?

WWX said:
Had to search for input on Taylor but after considerable effort he looks really good.

Never fumbled in a college game, 4.4 speed, and good work ethic. Is he our fastest RB?

He’s got heart, speed, and skill. If this new blocking scheme floats with our OL then he’s the best fit. Who’s watched him, is he fast out there in TC?

Yeah, he is football fast. The first time I saw him turn a corner, I wanted to see a replay. He was moving. First day of camp.

He was getting a lot of reps today.

Denver typically doesn't start rookie RBs early in the season, but eases them in game by game until they show something, or more typically, the more experienced guy gets hurt.

WWX said:

He didn't run well at all at his Pro Day (4.53 average on turf). Nice hands and decent speed - enough to get the corner - but he's not a take-it-to-the-house or exceptionally fast guy. He is more of a power back who looks for contact. He's decisive and seems to have good vision. Morency is our fastest back flat out. Lundy is quicker, shiftier than Taylor. If you're in Lewisville, you've probably seen Marion Barber. That's who Taylor reminds me of.

aj. said:
He didn't run well at all at his Pro Day (4.53 average on turf). Nice hands and decent speed - enough to get the corner - but he's not a take-it-to-the-house or exceptionally fast guy. He is more of a power back who looks for contact. He's decisive and seems to have good vision. Morency is our fastest back flat out. Lundy is quicker, shiftier than Taylor. If you're in Lewisville, you've probably seen Marion Barber. That's who Taylor reminds me of.

Mmmm, a power runing type back with some good speed. Sounds like a good thing. Hope he plays out for us. Anyone notice if his hands and blocking with blitz pick up looked good?

aj. said:

Sorry but not interested too much in the hillbillies (um… cowgirls) Just here on business. And Lewisville is not too shabby as far as the Metroplex goes. Do not ever take a job here!!! Anyway not very familiar with Marion except for some stats… Thanks for the insight on Kamp Texan_Chick and A.J. Still Taylor will be the MAN IMO, in due time… soon.

AJ your my dog and all, but straight line Taylor is our fastest back. Football Fast would be Morency, and as far as agile/shifty it is likely a toss up between Morency and Davis. Lundy is not quicker or shiftier than almost anyone except for Smith. Lundy has the best feet/balance of our RBs though. Now I am talking strictly from a football and technique perspective so that may not go far, but overall Morency when going downhill is our best back(yes better than Davis). Taylor is my darkhorse pick said it a long time ago when I saw the kid practice, but he has some things to learn. I do like the Marion Barber reference though, except he does not run as high up and will give a juke if it means extra yards. Like I said many a post ago, he runs much more in style, footwork, and vision to Larry Johnson. He is not nearly as athletic, but that is his style of running. Between Smith, Taylor, and Morency it will be interesting to see who emerges as the guy during preseason.

TC I have no idea what exactly was going on in this article. But like always you preceded it right by saying it may not be for everyone or have much new content.

Coach C. said:
TC I have no idea what exactly was going on in this article. But like always you preceded it right by saying it may not be for everyone or have much new content.

Basically, the short simple version is that we don't know who the running back for the Texans is going to be this year. The article was an attempt to deduce who it might be based on what Kubiak has done as offensive coordinator of Denver, as he has said he is going to keep a lot of what was best from there.

I am not optimistic about DD. I said why

Given that, I am guessing we will see Smith and Morency early season, and whatever rooks make the team on a work in basis unless someone in front of them gets hurt. Because I don't see the Texans starting a rookie RB against the Eagles given what Kubiak has said and done in the past.

It was a guess.

Who do you think we will see on the field for the regular season?

Dependant obviously on how the preseason plays out, I think it is very possible that we will see Taylor in a lot of plays against the Eagles. I think Kubiak will probably start Smith or possibly even Morency, but if the season started tomorrow, I daresay Taylor might be starting in the backfield for us. It's not particularly the "safe" play and I'll take your word on the Kubiak-history part (not saying I doubt your research, only that I haven't bothered to do it myself so I'll default to yours :)) but IMO Taylor has sufficiently differentiated himself at this point and it seems like the coaching staff has increased faith in him.

This is just based on what I have seen in practice and who has been getting most of the reps. I don't think Smith is or ever will be considered an everydown back; I see him mostly as a spell and short yardage player.

Oh, and I too would guess that Taylor and Morency are our two fastest.

jerek said:
Dependant obviously on how the preseason plays out, I think it is very possible that we will see Taylor in a lot of plays against the Eagles. I think Kubiak will probably start Smith or possibly even Morency, but if the season started tomorrow, I daresay Taylor might be starting in the backfield for us. It's not particularly the "safe" play and I'll take your word on the Kubiak-history part (not saying I doubt your research, only that I haven't bothered to do it myself so I'll default to yours :)) but IMO Taylor has sufficiently differentiated himself at this point and it seems like the coaching staff has increased faith in him.

This is just based on what I have seen in practice and who has been getting most of the reps. I don't think Smith is or ever will be considered an everydown back; I see him mostly as a spell and short yardage player.

Oh, and I too would guess that Taylor and Morency are our two fastest.

Yeah, I was thinking Smith and Morency would get split carries, maybe with whatever rook sneaking in, at the beginning of the year.

Check out Clinton Portis' 2002: 2002 Game Log

He was the highest drafted RB in the Kubiak/Shanahan era, and he didn't get signficant game time until game 3.

Because the system is new to all the RBs, maybe that elevates the rookies ability to get into the game, but I just am not sure that on Game 1, Kubiak is going to feel particularly comfortable starting a rookie.

It's just edjumicated guess. :cool:

Texans_Chick said:
Yeah, I was thinking Smith and Morency would get split carries, maybe with whatever rook sneaking in, at the beginning of the year.

He was the highest drafted RB in the Kubiak/Shanahan era, and he didn't get signficant game time until game 3.

Because the system is new to all the RBs, maybe that elevates the rookies ability to get into the game, but I just am not sure that on Game 1, Kubiak is going to feel particularly comfortable starting a rookie.

RSmith spent some time yesterday in his 610 interview discussing Portis' development in this offense .... interesting to hear .... took him some time to get up to speed on it .... these stats seem to bear that out as well ...

chuckm said:
RSmith spent some time yesterday in his 610 interview discussing Portis' development in this offense .... interesting to hear .... took him some time to get up to speed on it .... these stats seem to bear that out as well ...

Yeah, that he started out as a bit of a dancer.

My thought that Smith isn't ideal because he's older, and IIRC, has only had one over 1000 rushing seasons.

And Morency really isn't typical Bronco back size, and you wonder about him holding up, though we don't really have a sense of that because he hasn't had that much PT.

That's why I would see more of a platoon like Denver did last year. At least at the beginning of the season.

And the rooks being rooks just have a hard time getting comfortable with all the things they need to do, and performing in front of huge crowds.

It reminds me of something I heard Coach Hoke say. He was talking about keeping things simple. That it is hard enough to do difficult split second decision making when you are at your resting heart rate, but imagine having to make difficult decisions when your heart rate is running high on game day.

The learning curve isn't as steep for rookie running backs, but there is still a curve.

Texans_Chick said:

Good find, and not sure what to tell you myself. Historically speaking, the past can be a reliable predictor of the future ...

At this point I withhold all judgment until I see some preseason footage. This is the first time in a long time where I will be sincerely interested in and paying close attention to the preseason games past first team. We have some serious battles all across the board this year.

y'all its gonna be running back by committee, with each player bringing their own special strengths to the table, which Kubiak will use depending on the situation.

seems to me this is what the Texans have wanted all along, and by luck or circumstance (You choose) this is what they end'ed up with, without ever using a high pick (Hollings..cough, cough). I really hope however than DD gets healthy enough to play up to his capabilities, he is still our best RB :twocents:

Does anyone else get the feeling that DD sitting out is getting on the Texans nerves ? Rick Smith suggest DD needs to come to the realization that he'll never feel 100% again . The guys on the radio joke that Steve McKinney is already back from injury .

Honoring Earl 34 said:
Does anyone else get the feeling that DD sitting out is getting on the Texans nerves ? Rick Smith suggest DD needs to come to the realization that he'll never feel 100% again . The guys on the radio joke that Steve McKinney is already back from injury .

McClain said as much in his segment before Smith. He suggested that they think the problem is more mental than physical.

I'm not so sure of that. Just because the MRI doesn't show a new problem that needs surgery doesn't mean that the knee works well enough to do the things he needs to do.

And dude needs some reps. I am not sure that he is so much better than the rest of the guys that he can come in without much real practice and do better than the guys who have been doing camp stuff this summer.

Coach C. said:
AJ your my dog and all, but straight line Taylor is our fastest back. .... Lundy is not quicker or shiftier than almost anyone except for Smith..

Just passing along what I heard Chris Taylor say when he was asked to compare himself with Lundy. He (Taylor) said that Lundy was "quicker" and had more wiggle than he did, but that he (Taylor) was more of a power back who looked for contact. MAybe he was just being humble or nice. But from watching them both I can see what he was talking about.

There's really not enough difference in speed with these guys (except for Antowain) to warrant an argument. I'm pretty excited about Taylor - have been since the first day of OTAs when I wrote what I did. I also like Morency and Lundy. Not as high on Rhodes.

Could some of you lucky folks that have been at Camp tell me if any of the RB's are showing the ability to take a hit or two and keep going? (Take a licking and keep on ticking.)

I know the shake and bake backs are fun to watch, but even though he wasn't a speedster, my all time favorite is still Earl Campbell.

The QB takes the snap.
The QB hands off to Earl.
5 to 11 defenders pile onto Earl.
The pile gains 12 yards.

I also remember seeing Earl lay out some blitzers on more than one occassion.

What happens if the Texans cut DD ? In the big picture (because he has a knee that is as good as its going to get and may only have a couple of years left ) would'nt be better to go with the young guys ? Who's to say one would'nt emerge better than DD and hit their stride in a year or two when the team is .

South Texan said:
The pile gains 12 yards.

Wish I'd been old enough to remember more of that. I only remember small bits of it, really.

Texans_Chick said:
Appreciate your enthusiasm.

I think that the biggest knock against Taylor is that he didn't have a lot of experience in college, and is relatively raw.

I think that the biggest thing that can be helpful to Taylor is that Kubiak doesn't care about where or if you were drafted, he just wants people that can play.

Welcome to the message board--it would be a nice story if Taylor could contribute to the team.

P.S. Are you Chris' mom or someone else related to him?

Wasn't Terrell Davis raw when he came out of Georgia, he didn't play very much cause he was hurt all the time.

Terrel Davis went to a college that shutdown it football team before he went to Georgia . He also was a nosegaurd in highschool .

Texans_Chick said:
Yeah, he is football fast. The first time I saw him turn a corner, I wanted to see a replay. He was moving. First day of camp.

He was getting a lot of reps today.

Denver typically doesn't start rookie RBs early in the season, but eases them in game by game until they show something, or more typically, the more experienced guy gets hurt.

They just said on NFL Total Access that Denver has a undrafted rookie at the head of their depth chart right now.

Assuming DD doesn't come back for the opener, I'd be very surprised if
Kubiak starts anybody but Smith unless one of the other backs is head and shoulders above all the others in preseason performance.
Smith has played, started I would guess, in SB games and was a starter for
many games with various teams in his lengthy career. And the Eagles game is the season opener, so every body should be sky high and the anxiety level
will be just as frenetic so not the best of times to be given the ball to
a novice back.

I'm gonna have to say if it's not DD then Lundy or Taylor is gonna be up to bat, I've heard a lil bit that Lundy is getting some time with the 1st team and I've heard that Taylor has taken some snaps with the first time.. I just havent heard Smith in that whole situation.. so i would have to say one of those guys.

South Texan said:
Could some of you lucky folks that have been at Camp tell me if any of the RB's are showing the ability to take a hit or two and keep going? (Take a licking and keep on ticking.)

I know the shake and bake backs are fun to watch, but even though he wasn't a speedster, my all time favorite is still Earl Campbell.

The QB takes the snap.
The pile gains 12 yards.

I also remember seeing Earl lay out some blitzers on more than one occassion.

Chris Taylor and Antowain Smith immediately come to mind.

Back