Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Where to spend the 2014 1st round pick?

Wow ... and Johnny :heart: wasn't even around then .:spit:

Johnny is going to live by the sword, die by the sword. Johnny will be much like Michael Vick was in Atlanta except with a better arm. If he gets a coach who confines him to the pocket like Philly has with Vick, Johnny will get killed like Vick in Philly. There will not be a more exciting player to watch if Johnny is allowed to be Johnny. IMHO Johnny will get his team very close to the Big Show but in the end, no cigar....(much like the SEC Championship Game) all my post about Johnny have been directed at those who say his game will not translate to the NFL. IMHO his game will and it will be better than many.....and hey, I'm not an Aggie......and anyone who can't say the Johnny Football hasn't been the most exciting player in college football these last two years is full of bovine manure and doesn't know the round brown from a hole in the ground......that is all. :) I see your :spit:
and raise you two :spit: :spit:

Johnny is going to live by the sword, die by the sword. Johnny will be much like Michael Vick was in Atlanta except with a better arm. If he gets a coach who confines him to the pocket like Philly has with Vick, Johnny will get killed like Vick in Philly. There will not be a more exciting player to watch if Johnny is allowed to be Johnny. IMHO Johnny will get his team very close to the Big Show but in the end, no cigar....(much like the SEC Championship Game) all my post about Johnny have been directed at those who say his game will not translate to the NFL. IMHO his game will and it will be better than many.....and hey, I'm not an Aggie.

He's got some good things going for him and he could be good . It will be exciting come February when the whole process takes off . That's the state of Texans football these days , draft talk .

If you hit 40% of your draft you've done well .

KC picked 1st overall last year and their not so happy with Fisher . Joeckel is out for the year and the Dolphins guy can't stay on the field . It's a crap shoot that gets revealed 3 years down the road .

That's why most yrs I'm in favor of trading up to the 2nd rd. You should be able to hit on your 1st and 2nd rd picks. (Even at the level of Fisher you've got a contributor) So you add 3 contributors each yr. (Unless your Rick und picking Harris/JOkOye etc....) Then in rds 5-7 I pick talented small school guys. Atleast they will add speed to the ST's. (Lord knows the Texans could use that) Or talented but troubled guys. (Lyrela/Dyer/Crowell) If they fall of the wagon you really haven't lost anything except a late rd pick that probably wouldn't have contributed to the team anyway.

That's my philosophy, Obviously Rick has a different philosophy that hasn't worked out too well.

BTW, I'm a fan of trading down this yr. the cut off is the middle of the 4th rd for talent that can help your team this yr. Say trade down for both of the Browns #1's and because the Texans should get a comp 5th rd pick trade a 5th/6th rd pick to move up into the 4th rd.

Your draft would look like this.
Rd.1
Rd.1
Rd.2 pick 33
Rd.3 top of rd
Rd.4 Top of rd. pick
Rd.4 Mid rd pick.
Rd.5 comp pick
Rd.7 Top rd pick

You could add 6 top 100-115 picks in a deep draft and add a RB like Dyer in the 5th and a TE like Lyrela in the 7th.

Do you think a draft like this would help the Texans fill some holes and ad much needed depth/speed?

This isn't the brain surgery Rick/Gary make it out to be. It just takes hard work and accumen for the job.

That's why most yrs I'm in favor of trading up to the 2nd rd. You should be able to hit on your 1st and 2nd rd picks. (Even at the level of Fisher you've got a contributor) So you add 3 contributors each yr. (Unless your Rick und picking Harris/JOkOye etc....) Then in rds 5-7 I pick talented small school guys. Atleast they will add speed to the ST's. (Lord knows the Texans could use that) Or talented but troubled guys. (Lyrela/Dyer/Crowell) If they fall of the wagon you really haven't lost anything except a late rd pick that probably wouldn't have contributed to the team anyway.

That's my philosophy, Obviously Rick has a different philosophy that hasn't worked out too well.

BTW, I'm a fan of trading down this yr. the cut off is the middle of the 4th rd for talent that can help your team this yr. Say trade down for both of the Browns #1's and because the Texans should get a comp 5th rd pick trade a 5th/6th rd pick to move up into the 4th rd.

Rd.1
Rd.1
Rd.2 pick 33
Rd.3 top of rd
Rd.4 Top of rd. pick
Rd.4 Mid rd pick.
Rd.5 comp pick
Rd.7 Top rd pick

You could add 6 top 100-115 picks in a deep draft and add a RB like Dyer in the 5th and a TE like Lyrela in the 7th.

Do you think a draft like this would help the Texans fill some holes and ad much needed depth/speed?

This isn't the brain surgery Rick/Gary make it out to be. It just takes hard work and accumen for the job.

The Texans need good cheap players badly . Their cap looks like a meth heads billfold because I think they anticipated the cap growing .

I think the big three areas are QB , OL , OLB . They need depth everywhere . I think you can't get everything in one year but you can get some more of your building blocks in place . That's where the later round guys come in . Get a RB , fat guys , and then guys who hit a 4.4 .

I think a competent QB and a dominant pass rusher cover up lots of bad players . The Texans are in luck because they're halfway there . JJ needs help and those guys get draft early as does a QB . So a QB , DE or OLB , RT , G , DT . If Gary leaves they might not run a ZBS but you need upgrades anyway .

The Texans need good cheap players badly . Their cap looks like a meth heads billfold because I think they anticipated the cap growing .

I think the big three areas are QB , OL , OLB . They need depth everywhere . I think you can't get everything in one year but you can get some more of your building blocks in place . That's where the later round guys come in . Get a RB , fat guys , and then guys who hit a 4.4 .

I think a competent QB and a dominant pass rusher cover up lots of bad players . The Texans are in luck because they're halfway there . JJ needs help and those guys get draft early as does a QB . So a QB , DE or OLB , RT , G , DT . If Gary leaves they might not run a ZBS but you need upgrades anyway .

They also need a DT to control the LOS so Cushing has a chance to stay healthy. I wouldn't mind seeing Clowney in the 1st OT in Schreff in the 2nd McCarron 3rd and Carrethers in the 4th.

Add nickle CB to the list McCain is awful. How confident are you in Rick's ability to judge talent, hire HC, put the right people in place for the rebuild? That thought colors me skeptical at best.

Foster is having back surgery and Tate is a FA. Daniels coming off 2nd major injury on backside of career and Graham is a FA. Earl Mitchell and Antonio Smith are FA. Only ILB on current 2014 roster is Cushing. = DIRE STRAITS

Foster is having back surgery and Tate is a FA. Daniels coming off 2nd major injury on backside of career and Graham is a FA. Earl Mitchell and Antonio Smith are FA. Only ILB on current 2014 roster is Cushing. = DIRE STRAITS

I use to love Dire Straights, lol :specnatz:

So you are playing whack a mole to The Sultans of Swing . A Rubic's cube has less options than the Texans come draft day . A RT helps the QB who helps everyone on offense . An OLB helps JJ and the Pass rush which helps the secondary . Once again you can't fill a swimming pool with a couple of buckets of water . :dancer:

Rd.1
Rd.1
Rd.2 pick 33
Rd.3 top of rd
Rd.4 Top of rd. pick
Rd.4 Mid rd pick.
Rd.5 comp pick
Rd.7 Top rd pick

The more I watch these QB's the more I am leaning to your ideals. I really do like Clowney despite the negatives but if the right deal came along, well! If we could move down say no lower than 12 or 14 I'm the first and pickup another first and second this or next year, there is no way I would pass that up.

So you are playing whack a mole to The Sultans of Swing . A Rubic's cube has less options than the Texans come draft day . A RT helps the QB who helps everyone on offense . An OLB helps JJ and the Pass rush which helps the secondary . Once again you can't fill a swimming pool with a couple of buckets of water . :dancer:

for me OLB isn't has bad as people are saying. ILB is imo far worse. Mercilus and Reed arnt getting sack numbers but are pressuring the QB resulting in houston being 3rd overall in QB hurries.
I think an upgrade at DT and ILB would help a lot more then another OLB.

Last edited:
The more I watch the qb's the more I want bridgewater.

I've watched some film of the top 5 guys or so. Still a bunch more to go. To me manziel and Mariota are lesser versions of Russell Wilson. Not that they can't be successful, but I think they are going to need the right systems. And they might be like kaepernick where they have some big impact games and then really struggle a bunch. I'm not big on manziel or mariota.

So far after bridgewater I like mettenberger and Carr. I don't think either are on Teddy's level, but if I had a lower pick I'd take them and feel good about them. Carr has some great physical attributes man. Mettenberger looks like he can be a good qb for a long, long time. Big guy, looks good in the pocket throwing the ball. I'd be ok with either of these guys, but I probably would prefer mettenberger as I think he's a much more advanced passer.

Going to watch more or these guys to see if any would actually entice me to trade down if we had the 1A pick.

The more I watch the qb's the more I want bridgewater.

I've watched some film of the top 5 guys or so. Still a bunch more to go. To me manziel and Mariota are lesser versions of Russell Wilson. Not that they can't be successful, but I think they are going to need the right systems. And they might be like kaepernick where they have some big impact games and then really struggle a bunch. I'm not big on manziel or mariota.

So far after bridgewater I like mettenberger and Carr. I don't think either are on Teddy's level, but if I had a lower pick I'd take them and feel good about them. Carr has some great physical attributes man. Mettenberger looks like he can be a good qb for a long, long time. Big guy, looks good in the pocket throwing the ball. I'd be ok with either of these guys, but I probably would prefer mettenberger as I think he's a much more advanced passer.

Going to watch more or these guys to see if any would actually entice me to trade down if we had the 1A pick.

Is a mettenberger / flaco comparison a fair one? I've seen highlights for a lot of these guys but almost no actual game play. A manziel / wilson comparison looks solid to me...but I'll defer to what you guys have seen.

Is a mettenberger / flaco comparison a fair one? I've seen highlights for a lot of these guys but almost no actual game play. A manziel / wilson comparison looks solid to me...but I'll defer to what you guys have seen.

I like the Mettenberger Flacco comparison and it's the one I use because of Cam Cameron. However all 3 are pocket passers with no real threat to run with the ball. And all 3 have a big arm.

After week 12 the Houston Texans have the 2nd pick in the 2014 NFL Draft:

http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html
Why not pencil us in with the first pick? It's highly unlikely we're going to beat the Patriots, Jaguars, Colts, Broncos and Titans. Four of those five teams could make the playoffs (Titans have the last wild-card spot in the AFC right now). The only winnable game is at Jacksonville but entertain me with the idea that we can somehow win at their place when we couldn't even beat them at Reliant Stadium?

Why not pencil us in with the first pick? It's highly unlikely we're going to beat the Patriots, Jaguars, Colts, Broncos and Titans. Four of those five teams could make the playoffs (Titans have the last wild-card spot in the AFC right now). The only winnable game is at Jacksonville but entertain me with the idea that we can somehow win at their place when we couldn't even beat them at Reliant Stadium?

If the Texans are the only 2-14 team, YES. If Atlanta is 2-14 the Texans could likely lose out due to opponents W-L %. The good news is Atlanta won't be looking for a QB with Matty Ice having a long term contract.

If the Texans are the only 2-14 team, YES. If Atlanta is 2-14 the Texans could likely lose out due to opponents W-L %. The good news is Atlanta won't be looking for a QB with Matty Ice having a long term contract.

At this point I'm really hoping for the first pick. If Atl ends up drafting first they're in a perfect position to trade down, as a team needing a QB would have to jump us to make sure they get the guy they want

At this point I'm really hoping for the first pick. If Atl ends up drafting first they're in a perfect position to trade down, as a team needing a QB would have to jump us to make sure they get the guy they want

Me too! I'm hoping that Atlanta can win their game at home against the Skins week 15.

for me OLB isn't has bad as people are saying. ILB is imo far worse. Mercilus and Reed arnt getting sack numbers but are pressuring the QB resulting in houston being 3rd overall in QB hurries.
I think an upgrade at DT and ILB would help a lot more then another OLB.
I agree and Trevardo should help. Maybe some are forgetting the hope he brought when drafted.

I agree and Trevardo should help. Maybe some are forgetting the hope he brought when drafted.

I don't think people forget. I wasn't enamored with the pick myself.

But I think people are remembering his pre season play. Maybe he was hurt, but he looked terrible.

unless we put up our pick for trade.

as another poster said, the falcons won't be looking for a QB, so a team doesn't HAVE to trade with ATL to jump us if we want to trade down as well.

ATL would be stupid to trade down because they need big time help with pass rushers and clowney and Barr are staring them straight in the face with the number 1 pick.

unless we put up our pick for trade.

as another poster said, the falcons won't be looking for a QB, so a team doesn't HAVE to trade with ATL to jump us if we want to trade down as well.

ATL would be stupid to trade down because they need big time help with pass rushers and clowney and Barr are staring them straight in the face with the number 1 pick.

Atl could trade down because they don't need a QB. At this point it looks like we do, so if a team like Jacksonville was drafting 3rd (with Atl 1st and we're second) they could easily throw a couple picks to Atl to move up to land the top QB prospect and Atl can still land either Barr or Clowney.

I can't imagine us trading down with our QB situation up in the air, but I could be wrong

Walter Football has us taking Clowney in the first, with Boyd and Skov in the second and third rounds, respectively.

The NFL still thinks Clowney is the top prospect. Unless the Texans keep Rick Smith or rehire Casserly, I think Clowney would be the Texans pick at #1 overall. Just thinking about Watt and Clowney on the same defensive front is sick. I know Andrew Luck would be sick.

The NFL still thinks Clowney is the top prospect. Unless the Texans keep Rick Smith or rehire Casserly, I think Clowney would be the Texans pick at #1 overall. Just thinking about Watt and Clowney on the same defensive front is sick. I know Andrew Luck would be sick.

Tell Clowney that his job is to keep up with that JJ fellar all off season .

Atl could trade down because they don't need a QB. At this point it looks like we do, so if a team like Jacksonville was drafting 3rd (with Atl 1st and we're second) they could easily throw a couple picks to Atl to move up to land the top QB prospect and Atl can still land either Barr or Clowney.

I can't imagine us trading down with our QB situation up in the air, but I could be wrong

Agree, Atlanta has BIG holes in both lines and could be enamored with extra draft picks.

Well Casserly drafted Mario Williams and I trust Rick Smith enough to make that decision, so no worries there. :kitten:

Well Casserly drafted Mario Williams and I trust Rick Smith enough to make that decision, so no worries there. :kitten:

Rick Smith followed that up with Amobe Okoye. Contrary to popular belief Smith is a not a GM with final say. Smith fills the same position Scott Pioli did as GM of the Patriots. Belichick trusted Pioli to do what Belichick needed to be done. The same way Kubiak trusts Smith to do what Kubiak needs Smith to do. So Okoye was really a Kubiak decision regardless of what people think they believe.

Everyone loves to complain about Smith over. Pokey and then forget to mention our first round picks ever since have either been money or played well after developing.

Everyone loves to complain about Smith over. Pokey and then forget to mention our first round picks ever since have either been money or played well after developing.

Tell mee more about Rick's ability to evaluate DB's?

The point is Rick Smith doesn't get the blame for draft picks and he doesn't get credit for draft picks. Kubiak allows his coaches to select the players. The problem here is Kubiak doesn't select the best coaches, Kubiak selects his best friends. All player personnel decisions get Kubiak's final blessing. That goes with final say on the 53 man roster, part of Kubiak's contract.

He drafted Jackson who has developed well under the Wade, whom Smith hired. He also brought in Joseph and Manning as FAs. Point me to a franchise that finds pro-bowl DBS every year.

The point is Rick Smith doesn't get the blame for draft picks and he doesn't get credit for draft picks. Kubiak allows his coaches to select the players. The problem here is Kubiak doesn't select the best coaches, Kubiak selects his best friends. All player personnel decisions get Kubiak's final blessing. That goes with final say on the 53 man roster, part of Kubiak's contract.

No no, I'm saying he should get both, only that Okoye* is what everyone points to as a mistake when it was his first pick as GM, not his latest.

He drafted Jackson who has developed well under the Wade, whom Smith hired. He also brought in Joseph and Manning as FAs. Point me to a franchise that finds pro-bowl DBS every year.

No no, I'm saying he should get both, only that Okoye* is what everyone points to as a mistake when it was his first pick as GM, not his latest.

BoB picked McNair. Do you really believe that Smith new Bum well enough to get Wade to interview before the 2010 season ended.

Kareem is the best DB Rick has drafted. That speaks volumes, Jackson is only above avg at best even with his improvement under Wade/Joseph. Certainly not an all pro. This speaks volumes about Rick's ability to evaluate talent at the position he played in college and you want him to pick the franchise QB?

Crazy talk, hopefully BoB keeps Rick around like he did Casserly lets Rick set up interviews for the future HC. Then BoB locks Rick in a closet during these interviews and lets Rick resign and save face like he did with Casserly.

Jackson has developed in to an OK CB against passes under 20 yds, still a liability against the deep pass. Contrary to your belief, McNair hired Wade, NOT Rick, NOT Gary. Contrary to your belief it was Wade who selected Joseph and Manning and that came as part of his agreement with Bob McNair to become DC. In addition McNair also promised Wade the 1st RD picks in 2011 and 2012 as part of the deal to become DC. Watt and Mercilus are Wade decisions NOT Rick Smith. And Okoye was a Richard Smith pick NOT to be confused with Rick Smith.

Last edited:
So Smith is only responsible for the bad things and had no imput on the good things, got it.

What good things?

Speaking of this can you tell me what Rick's job is and how would you rate the he's done doing those specific tasks.

If you dont know what good things he's done then he's got to be held to the same standards as GM's like Ozzie Newsome/Ted Thompson/Mickey Loomis/Jerry Reese's of the world. Where does Rick stack up to them after 7 yrs.

What good things?

Speaking of this can you tell me what Rick's job is and how would you rate the he's done doing those specific tasks.

If you dont know what good things he's done then he's got to be held to the same standards as GM's like Ozzie Newsome/Ted Thompson/Mickey Loomis/Jerry Reese's of the world. Where does Rick stack up to them after 7 yrs.

I think smith stacks up well. His biggest knock which is a big one is he hasn't drafted a franchise caliber qb,that's pretty much it. All those guys you named either drafted,had one already or in the case of loomis signed one. If you take position for position the last 7 yrs,rick has done fine. We wouldn't have issues with the roster if texans had a top flight qb. Its not hard at all to look at those gms and their common good points.

I think the world of ozzie,but look at his track record in those 7 yrs.Prior to flacco,they weren't a playoff team. Thompson had favre already,but I give him credit for drafting bpa in rodgers. What about the flamouts they've had with brohm,hawk is avg,perry,raji,and the tennessee kid who never developed? What about that o-line that has 1st and 2nd rd misses? Reese, see above. Had eli already also. Not to mention most of that sb roster was already in place before he took over for acorsi. Look at the oline,lbs,and secondary not to mention,they're about to miss playoffs again.

Bottomline, smith is performing on par with the so called top gms. His track record has feet. As we've discussed in other threads,his next hire and qb evaluation will be the most important of his career.

I think smith stacks up well. His biggest knock which is a big one is he hasn't drafted a franchise caliber qb,that's pretty much it. All those guys you named either drafted,had one already or in the case of loomis signed one. If you take position for position the last 7 yrs,rick has done fine. We wouldn't have issues with the roster if texans had a top flight qb. Its not hard at all to look at those gms and their common good points.

I think the world of ozzie,but look at his track record in those 7 yrs.Prior to flacco,they weren't a playoff team. Thompson had favre already,but I give him credit for drafting bpa in rodgers. What about the flamouts they've had with brohm,hawk is avg,perry,raji,and the tennessee kid who never developed? What about that o-line that has 1st and 2nd rd misses? Reese, see above. Had eli already also. Not to mention most of that sb roster was already in place before he took over for acorsi. Look at the oline,lbs,and secondary not to mention,they're about to miss playoffs again.

Bottomline, smith is performing on par with the so called top gms. His track record has feet. As we've discussed in other threads,his next hire and qb evaluation will be the most important of his career.

Hope you're wrong, this team is 2-9 and BoB told the fans this was a SB or bust yr. Everybody should be fired and a fresh start is needed. That means Rick should go too.

Really I would like a GM who believes in building the trenches 1st and is good at it. That aint Rick. What do you think the chances are of BoB givin Rick the Casserly treatment? I would say 0% because BoB owes Rick 2 more yrs.

Hope you're wrong, this team is 2-9 and BoB told the fans this was a SB or bust yr. Everybody should be fired and a fresh start is needed. That means Rick should go too.

Really I would like a GM who believes in building the trenches 1st and is good at it. That aint Rick. What do you think the chances are of BoB givin Rick the Casserly treatment? I would say 0% because BoB owes Rick 2 more yrs.

I don't understand ur build thru the trenches logic. You listed your top gms ,now tell me which has built a great trench team? Not only that's,its not like the texans haven't been very good in the trenches lately. Could the be better? Sure,but the problem is the guy taking snaps.

Really I would like a GM who believes in building the trenches 1st and is good at it.

The more I watch the NFL , the more I realize that .... the only position that matters is QB. Everyone else can be a scrub but if you have that star QB you are going to get favorable calls that can change the course of games while if you don't have that guy .... you get none of those.

Then you consider how the rules are so favorable towards the offense .... I have to wonder if it really matters how good you are on the defensive line against those star QB's .....

The way this game has evolved , you might as well build a team to score 60 and throw 11 fans on the field to play defense.

Rounds 1 and 2:

zPJr9P6.gif

Back