Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Where are all of the Mario supporters?

top 3 picks are supposed to be pro bowl caliber players....we are paying 50 mil for that in a cap league....if he flashed at least a QB hurry we wouldn't be so crapped out...but after watching him play in 7 games including preseason he has looked like an undrafted FA.

Not everyone can be productive right off the bat.

Not everyone can be productive right off the bat.

This isn't baseball. Every game means more in the NFL...we dont have 150+ game seasons. This is a 'win now' league....you keep waiting till 2008. Right now we are awful...and so is Mario.

I actually have no issue with Mario right now.. hes a rookie. No he isnt living up to the #1 overall hype.. but I still think he could be turned into a solid Dlineman..and has the potential to be a star.

My issue is that we are playing him despite the fact that we have NO ONE taking up his slack. Letting a rookie play and make mistakes to speed up his learning is fine.. but we CANT go 2-14..or worse..again. We need to do something on defense, and that might involve benching Williams.

This isn't baseball. Every game means more in the NFL...we dont have 150+ game seasons.

What if he is a Pro-Bowl caliber player, he just doesnt develop into one until his second or third year. Maybe he just needs to mature more. I'd say that it was good for us to pick up a defensive player that can help us in the future because as of now the defense sucks HORRIBLY. When we get some more players around him, he will show is Pro-Bowl side.

What if he is a Pro-Bowl caliber player, he just doesnt develop into one until his second or third year. Maybe he just needs to mature more. I'd say that it was good for us to pick up a defensive player that can help us in the future because as of now the defense sucks HORRIBLY. When we get some more players around him, he will show is Pro-Bowl side.

Superstars make other players better. It isn't supposed to work the other way around.

I posted this on another thread but thought more of you would see it here...

Admittedly I am a Saints fan who now lives in Houston, but I try to be fair. I just feel for Mario. It was not his fault that he was picked first.

The Texans decided to give Carr the bonus so that kind of ruled out drafting Vince. Everyone then kinda of sighed and said, "OK, at least if we can't get the hometown hero, we will get Reggie, everyone says he is the type of back with a skill set that doesn't come around very often (I'm sure you heard all the pre-draft comparisons to Sayers, Sanders, Faulk, etc.) Then came that Friday before the Draft. I was sitting in line at Pappas BBQ listening to the radio when they came on and said, "We're NOT kidding...the Texans are going to sign Mario Williams tonight and make him the first pick in the draft tomorrow. <silence>

I quickly went home and checked online Mario's college stats...which on the surface looked impressive, but as the refs say, "upon further review..." most of those stats came against only a few team, the weaker ones, and in most of the other games he just seemed to disappear from the stats.

I was very happy to have Reggie fall in our laps...but I've worked very closely with NFL players for many years and I just felt sorry for Mario. He would never be able to live up to his draft status. I don't know the kid execept what I see on TV and read about in the HChron...He seems like a good kid. I suspect he may not be the "high motor" kind of player; I know what that is like - we drafted Jonathan Sullivan (& trading 2 #1s for that choice.)

Guys, I've supported a team for many years that has not had a great deal of success...but the team is back in the SuperDome Monday night and even thought this is the first year with the Saints playing in NOLA that I won't "be in that number" I am so glad they are back...WIN OR LOSE! Y'all lost the Oilers so you know what I mean.

Best of luck the rest of the season...and just think of Mario as just another rookie and be glad you found a starter in the draft.

Im soarly disappointed in Mario right now. But he isnt a bust. And he really REALLY doesnt deserve any lame nicknames from the part time fans here.

He is incredibly raw.. and thats worrysome because when a player is that green, you dont know if they will ever reach an NFL playing level, mentally.

Mario is a two year project, based on what I saw today. And as such, we really need more help on the defensive line.

After 5 years of nothing but losing, what bandwagon fans are left? I would think the part time fans are already gone.

Thanks Superdome.. thats a great post.

Despite the struggles of Mario so far.. I still think he could be a great player given time. Of course, by the time he gets the chance to develop, most everyone will have already labeled him a bust.

Either way.. I still dont think Bush was the best pick for us.. not for the team we are trying to build. Bush isnt a one cut back.. and I dont think Kubiak wanted to run the kind of offense that Bush would shine in. Kubiak wanted his offense, and Bush didnt fit it.

Glad the Saints got him though, yall needed that media boost.. and the excitment that Reggie brings.

I hope Mario will turn into the pick we were expecting him to be..eventually.

Players that are picked first overall are supposed to make immediate impacts unless they are qbs.

Personally, I don't expect any rookie to make an immediate impact regardless of where he's picked. While I would have liked to have some production out of MW, I'm not going to consider him a complete bust, yet. Our defense sucks.

Obviously, Kubiak knew coming into this season that our Defense was what needed the most work and drafted accordingly. He was right. And it still needs the most work. And Mario is included in that. And so is Demeco.

Williams had 2 tackles and 1 assist. If that is not superstar stats, then what is? This just in --- that was the worst draft choice since Sam Bowie. It is not his fault, he just fell into a bucket of money.

I did see Mario's first sack today..... but too bad Samuels was all over holding him with both hands from behind; atleast it got flagged this time. Mario is really not cutting it guys, which sucks because I really believed that he could, and I still believe he can eventually be a great player. It's just when you use the 1st pick in the draft you don't want to get a "wait and see" player, you want someone who will show you right away that they atleast have it in them to be a super star. Our whole defense is pathetic, but what was supposed to be the best elligible player in all of college football last year is invisible right now.

As far as the Sam Bowie talk goes, it's fine to say he sucks, but don't compare him with Sam Bowie yet as it's just not logical. If he goes on to have a crappy to average career, fine, bust. But you need two parts to this equation. For Mario to be a real "Sam Bowie", he has to bust and Reggie needs to have a Michael Jordan type career. He's looked decent so far, but not Jordanesque by any means. If you can look back 10 years from now and Mario is still living off his rookie contract while Reggie is polishing 3 or 4 super bowl rings, then you can call him Sam Bowie.

OK, so let me see if I can understand this.

David Carr deserves a 63rd or 64th chance in his fifth season because we "haven't seen what he can do if given the chance" - yet Mario Williams is a bust after 3 games?

Whatever.

Finally someone with some sense. In case you guys aren't watching, there are supossed to be 10 other players on the defense with him & only 1 of them i'm sure of off the top of my head has the built in excuse that he's a rookie. Don't worry, though people will see how bad reggie bush looks against a functional Defense.

Fine he's a rookie but at least show a flash of something. DeMeco is a rookie too but at least he shows up for a couple of plays a game. DeMeco makes rookie mistakes but Mario is just getting beat.

I'd say by the end of this season we will see why we picked him. It just may take some games for him to get comfortable.

P.S. In the game today, Mario played very well in the beginning of the first quarter. Him and DeMeco both were playing very well in the beginning of the first quarter. The first few stops is what you want to see out of these two first picks. But our coverage started breaking down and the whole team lost composure. He, as well as the team, need to learn how to play full games.

I'd say by the end of this season we will see why we picked him. It just may take some games for him to get comfortable.

P.S. In the game today, Mario played very well in the beginning of the first quarter. Him and DeMeco both were playing very well in the beginning of the first quarter. The first few stops is what you want to see out of these two first picks. But our coverage started breaking down and the whole team lost composure. He, as well as the team, need to learn how to play full games.
I agree totally!

In the game today, Mario played very well in the beginning of the first quarter. Him and DeMeco both were playing very well in the beginning of the first quarter. The first few stops is what you want to see out of these two first picks.

you mean the 3 plays to start game when we actually stopped them.

you mean the 3 plays to start game when we actually stopped them.

I am talking about the first quarter those two players were playing well, the rest of the defense I am not talking about. As a team we need more pressure on the QB period. Weaver doesn't seem to provide any sacks, we may want to sub him and Babin.

A big problem, I think is that we went back to swaping players on every down. While not as bad as moving Mario to tackle every other play, putting linemen in & out that frequently makes it hard on any of them to "look" productive.

I thought Mario was going to have a great game today, and it started out looking that way. then the bottom fell out.

Washington started at us with those screens. We've got to find a way to turn a short pass into a short gain.... or an incompletion.

Another thing. It looks like we're running our Ends at the QB on every down, and expecting the rest of the guys to stop the run. Even on plays where we expect a run, we're sending our ends to the QB.

ON run downs, our ends especially need to zero in on the RB.... hit him, if he doesn't have the ball, go get the QB.

Again....... we lost our 3rd game..... I'm thinking I might have to change my 13-3 prediction.......

maybe.

Still confident that this guy will ever be able to play? He SUCKS along with the rest of this crapola team. At least if we had Bush or Vince we would have something to look forward to this season. Now we can look forward to the first or second pick in the 2007 draft....thats it. We may be competitive by 2008
mario was not picked to be a super star this year. If he does come around great, but the bottomline is picking him with the #1 was a LONG TERM investment.

Is he a bust?
Ask me in 4 - 5 years, because that is when we will know.

Am I a Mario support? You bet your butt I am, in fact I am a supporter of any player wearing our uniform. That is what a fan does!! We root for our team and players.

Go Texans.

Fine he's a rookie but at least show a flash of something. DeMeco is a rookie too but at least he shows up for a couple of plays a game. DeMeco makes rookie mistakes but Mario is just getting beat.

you guys are making it seem as if Mario is not doing his job. If you watched the game the Redskins rarely passed over 10 yds Most of their damage was done underneath and on the ground, up the middle no less. How is a guy supossed to do anything if its 3 step drops & ball out.:brickwall The redskins played Gibbs ball all day and the middle of that line was getting killed. Yeah payne & Demeco made a couple of plays, but were largely overmatched the entire game. Again, Mario didn't play great but he did get a couple of QB pressures when the opportunities presented. Pressure on the edges only works if the pocket is collapsed from the middle & the QB has no where to run but outside. You saw it in Indy/philly where Those guys on the edges were getting up the field & The QB's simply stepped up & made the throw. The point i'm trying to make is that the D period is not on the same page. the Secondary nor LB core are anticipating where the ball is going to go & Zones thrive off of that. I also think Smith isn't blitzing enough to keep the QB off balance.

There is absoutely zero doubt in my mind that Mario is a bust. None. Give him 3-4 years? Williams will be back to working at Subway by that time, because that's all he is good for. The opposing QB could eat a sandwich before Mario beats a 240 TE. He's worthless as a football player, but he is a fine human being, I will grant him that. :fireball:

:neener: That's ok Porky we won't make you eat crow when he isn't a bust in 3-4 yrs. We'll let you eat Pork, maybe even from Subway.

You have no idea how much I hope I am wrong. It's a deal. If he makes a pro-bowl in his NFL career, even one, I will go to Subway and order Pork (which is like a form of cannabilism for me)

I know it's not fair/right/senesible/whatever to call a rookie a bust after 3 games, but Mario sure makes it hard not to. I mean come on, I saw him unable to shed a block from the FB on one of the skins TD. I couldnt belive it, he really couldn't shed the FB, unbelieveable.

you guys are making it seem as if Mario is not doing his job. If you watched the game the Redskins rarely passed over 10 yds Most of their damage was done underneath and on the ground, up the middle no less. How is a guy supossed to do anything if its 3 step drops & ball out.:brickwall The redskins played Gibbs ball all day and the middle of that line was getting killed.

The Cowboys sure figured out how to get to Brunell and they ran the same offense last week. Quit making excuses for the texans, defense and Williams, they just got the hell beat out of them...again.

Still confident that this guy will ever be able to play? He SUCKS along with the rest of this crapola team. At least if we had Bush or Vince we would have something to look forward to this season. Now we can look forward to the first or second pick in the 2007 draft....thats it. We may be competitive by 2008

Kubiak's to blame. Not Mario. Mario's just a rookie who has a lot to learn. Kubiak is a head coach who is screwing up this team for years to come with his nepotistic hirings and his lack of coaching experience. Mario will be fine. It's Kubiak who needs to go.

I think that if Mario Williams was not the No. 1 pick overall, and was just some undrafted free agent, he would not have a job in this league right now. Or at least, he would not be playing very much, and he certainly would not be starting. He's got a longer leash because he's got a bigger paycheck.

He's got bust written all over him. And, it's not about "potential" when the guy doesn't even show any single sign whatsoever of being dominant in this league. You take someone No. 1 overall, you expect a certain level of production. Mario has averaged a whopping two tackles a game, and hasn't shown much of anything at all to dispel the notion that he is a bust and that the Texans made a colossally stupid mistake - one that will identify this franchise for the foreseeable future.

I think that if Mario Williams was not the No. 1 pick overall, and was just some undrafted free agent, he would not have a job in this league right now. Or at least, he would not be playing very much, and he certainly would not be starting. He's got a longer leash because he's got a bigger paycheck.

He's got bust written all over him. And, it's not about "potential" when the guy doesn't even show any single sign whatsoever of being dominant in this league. You take someone No. 1 overall, you expect a certain level of production. Mario has averaged a whopping two tackles a game, and hasn't shown much of anything at all to dispel the notion that he is a bust and that the Texans made a colossally stupid mistake - one that will identify this franchise for the foreseeable future.

What he said!

I know it's not fair/right/senesible/whatever to call a rookie a bust after 3 games, but Mario sure makes it hard not to. I mean come on, I saw him unable to shed a block from the FB on one of the skins TD. I couldnt belive it, he really couldn't shed the FB, unbelieveable.

I think this is what everyone is refering to. I'm not ready to call him a bust (yet) but he does need to have better showings.

While, i will not give up on mario, i am getting really ticked at his lack of production with each outing. I would imagine mr. mcnair is not very happy considering he's the one who's paying him. No impact at all. Our lower draft picks are having a stronger impact on this team than the #1. I was supporting him and will continue, but the product is not good and this does not look like a good draft pick.

Here comes Adrian peterson!

Still here and will reserve judgement until at least the end of the season and more likely not til the end of the 07 season. Am I thrilled in his production...of course not, but he is a rookie (the youngest in the league) and he plays the thoughest spot on the D-line with a target on him. Will he be a good player, IMO yes. Will he be a multi-ProBowler....TBD.

Bah, I'll wait till the end of the season before passing judgement on Mario. :hides:

Lots of stuff in this thread, here is some more.

Guess who is another quiet DE whose commitment to football was questioned, played running back in high school along with DE, was said to take plays off and get fat stats against chump opponents in college? He was fortunate in the NFL to play for a great defensive minded coach.

Almost 500 yards allowed puts the blame on pretty much the whole defense.

Scape! Goating! Is! Fun! :redtowel:

rookie defensive end. 3 games into the season. terrible defense around him. zero blitzing.

are you guys serious? mario shouldnt even be evaluated until ATLEAST half way through the season, if during this season at all. we did NOT draft a very raw 21 year old defensive end to average 3 sacks a game in his first year. we drafted mario as a cornerstone to build a defense around and it's not something that's going to happen overnight. i know we suck, but we're a 2-14 team that had to go into rebuilding with an entirely new staff and more than half of a new team. breathe.

The defense is completely lost. No leadership, no direction and no drive. I understand the rookie thing and switching to a different defensive scheme but that does not account for the lack of effort or lack of leadership. Hope Wong can help with the leadership issue and maybe by mid season, our defense will only give up 300 yards a game. Offense shows signs of hope and progression.

rookie defensive end. 3 games into the season. terrible defense around him. zero blitzing.

are you guys serious? mario shouldnt even be evaluated until ATLEAST half way through the season, if during this season at all. we did NOT draft a very raw 21 year old defensive end to average 3 sacks a game in his first year. we drafted mario as a cornerstone to build a defense around and it's not something that's going to happen overnight. i know we suck, but we're a 2-14 team that had to go into rebuilding with an entirely new staff and more than half of a new team. breathe.
all players are only worth what they show on film. Right now it's fair to say he is not very good. Potential is something for tomorrow...and we can't do anything but remark on today.

Mario lost this game before it started. He sent the Redskins our playbook, did not tape anyone's ankles, forgot to wash the jocks, forgot to pick up Toro on the way to the game, ran along side Betts and Portis clearing the way for them in all their yardage, yelled boo every time Carr went back to pass, spit in Porky's beer, made three fans start "I am a fan thread," made two members start a poll for the first time and made Bush and VY both happy that they did not drafted by the lowly Texans. We stink and the way we stink is to great for one man.

This thread reminds me of the scene from the Holy Grail where they want to burn the witch. Somewhere along here someone is going to say Mario turned them into a Newt.

Back