Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Where and when will the Texans find their next QB

I still think this guy could be the future with more experience in Kubiak's offense...

tj_yates_super_bowl_champion.jpg

I got to agree but can you bank on that? He did show some real problems reading defenses. I think at the vary earliest he is 1 yr away probably two and I 'm not sure that he will ever turn out to be what we would like him to be. Look at HWWNBN he had all the talent and physical gifts but dude couldn't read a defense.

If I were the GM and thought I had QB issues ( which they might ) I'd target Brock Osweiler in the 2nd .

To be honest, I see nothing special about Osweiler. He's 6'8 and is a pretty good athlete, that's about it. I see nothing special about his arm or his game that tells me he's a future starter.

To be honest, I see nothing special about Osweiler. He's 6'8 and is a pretty good athlete, that's about it. I see nothing special about his arm or his game that tells me he's a future starter.

I think he has above average arm strength . He has supposedly refined his mechanics which he unveiled at his pro day . I've watched a little bit of him and believe he's the only prospect on the ASU offense .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PowlDsL321Y

If anything at least he recognizes he needs work as opposed to HWNSNBM or VY .

I got to agree but can you bank on that? He did show some real problems reading defenses. I think at the vary earliest he is 1 yr away probably two and I 'm not sure that he will ever turn out to be what we would like him to be. Look at HWWNBN he had all the talent and physical gifts but dude couldn't read a defense.

You let the guy at least get past his rookie year before before you decide that he can't read a defense. I know some you hate Kubiak's guts, but at least give the man some credit in determining if a QB has what it takes. And I bet he places the ability to read a defense at the top of the list above strength, accuracy, mobility, and everything else. He was forced to swallow David Carr for an entire season, so that alone makes me think he's not going to be that patient. It won't take him long to figure out if Yates has it or not.

This is a good thread and has some good posts on it. I've been thinking about this situation for some time and wondering how it will all play out. My guess is that Kubes will draft another QB this year possibly in the later rounds for development. If someone like Nick Foles falls to the 4th or 5th, they may go for him, or someone like him. But is this the long term answer? I don't think so. The long term answer will only come in to view when Schaub has been cut or retired. How long that will be nobody knows at this point. It may be a year or 10 years, who knows. But I think as long as Schaub can do the job Kubes wants him to do I don't think they go after a QB in rounds 1 and 2.

This thread makes me think that if Ryan Tannehill falls to us some how, Kubiak is going to see a QB from A&M and get an erection, and Smith is going to remember how fun it was to be gangsta this offseason as he goes over how much money he can save on Schaub next offseason if Schaub doesn't get us to at least the AFC Championship, while Bob Mcnair starts to think of how he can win back the hometown fans by drafting a familiar QB face from A&M

deping on his health and how he plays Schaub is our QB of the future srsy he could play till his late 30's for us maybe even 39 ,40

If that is the case we are doomed as a franchise. I would be highly surprised to see Matt get extended at all. More likely if he shows signs of life they trade him for a mid-rouind pick next year. If a miracle happened and he can play day one and has a great year, and lets say hypothetically wins the SuperBowl ... I still wouldnt give him more than a two year deal. He wont stay healthy.

If I were the GM and thought I had QB issues ( which they might ) I'd target Brock Osweiler in the 2nd .

I like this kid. You cant teach 6'8" and he has a rocket for an arm. Raw but would be a nice project. Let Yates have the reigns while Schaub is recovering and we are determining whether he will be able to come back at full speed, or at all. Have Osweiler as our #3 learning the system. I think however, he may still be there in the 3rd.

This thread makes me think that if Ryan Tannehill falls to us some how, Kubiak is going to see a QB from A&M and get an erection, and Smith is going to remember how fun it was to be gangsta this offseason as he goes over how much money he can save on Schaub next offseason if Schaub doesn't get us to at least the AFC Championship, while Bob Mcnair starts to think of how he can win back the hometown fans by drafting a familiar QB face from A&M

No way Tannehill falls, he goes top 10 probably, for sure top 15.

The consensus is that he has the strongest arm in the draft. Over RG3 or Luck, etc.

Arm strength isn't everything. He completed just 45% of his redzone passes, and is prone to being intercepted at times (multiple INTs in six games last year, lost five of those). His overall completion percentage isn't outstanding, either. He shows some promise, but probably should have stayed for one more year to work on his accuracy and decision making (and have more than 15 starts).

Last edited:
You let the guy at least get past his rookie year before before you decide that he can't read a defense. I know some you hate Kubiak's guts, but at least give the man some credit in determining if a QB has what it takes. And I bet he places the ability to read a defense at the top of the list above strength, accuracy, mobility, and everything else. He was forced to swallow David Carr for an entire season, so that alone makes me think he's not going to be that patient. It won't take him long to figure out if Yates has it or not.

Forced?! from my understanding they were gonna draft a QB and gary said no dont draft a qb yet bc i think i can make this guy a decent qb.. im 100% sure he said that!

Forced?! from my understanding they were gonna draft a QB and gary said no dont draft a qb yet bc i think i can make this guy a decent qb.. im 100% sure he said that!

What anal orifice did you pull that out of? Carr was McNair's boy, and he was the one who signed Carr to the extension. Kubiak went along with it so he could get the job.

****! We're not going to go there again, are we?

It's nice to see someone else who likes Osweiler. He can probably be had in the third and should be seriously considered. He has every tool you can want in your QB and will be much more accurate after Kubiak works out the kinks in his footwork. He is the third best QB in this draft in my opinion. He made some bad decisions but was asked to carry a bad team. Tannehill made as many if not more bad decisions on a much more talented team with better skill players.

Just curious, how was Gary forced to swallow Carr? Kubiak told McNair he could work with David. Even if we are to believe that Kubiak thought that was his way to get the job, it was his choice.

Just curious, how was Gary forced to swallow Carr? Kubiak told McNair he could work with David. Even if we are to believe that Kubiak thought that was his way to get the job, it was his choice.

Would you like to be shot through the head or through the heart? It was his choice becomes an absurd argument at times.

No chance he drops out of the top 10. Some QB desperate team is going to leverage their entire future on him.

That may happen, or it may not.

The NFL tends to go on trends based on prior years.

A lot of teams reached on QB's last year that may not become franchise guys, so I wouldn't be surprised to see teams go in the opposite direction this year.

Last year was kind of rare with 3 QB's going in the top 10 and 4 in the top 12.Yes it happens, but more often than not it doesn't.

I would not be surprised to see a lot of these teams that have shown interest in Tannehill pass him up with their first round picks and try to trade back up into the first like the Browns did for Brady Quinn.

I think it's very likely he goes in the top half of the draft, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he fell. Look at Rodgers when Alex Smith was taken with the #1.

No chance he drops out of the top 10. Some QB desperate team is going to leverage their entire future on him.

Ummm, what? If the Dolphins take him with the 8th pick, I wouldn't call it their entire future. It's one pick, and no one is trading their whole draft to move up and get him at #3.

That may happen, or it may not.

The NFL tends to go on trends based on prior years.

A lot of teams reached on QB's last year that may not become franchise guys, so I wouldn't be surprised to see teams go in the opposite direction this year.

Last year was kind of rare with 3 QB's going in the top 10 and 4 in the top 12.Yes it happens, but more often than not it doesn't.

I would not be surprised to see a lot of these teams that have shown interest in Tannehill pass him up with their first round picks and try to trade back up into the first like the Browns did for Brady Quinn.

I think it's very likely he goes in the top half of the draft, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he fell. Look at Rodgers when Alex Smith was taken with the #1.

I agree with this. Alot of the QB hungry teams might just wait and see because there will still be some good talent in the 2nd round on those QBs and Tannehill could fall for that reason alone.

Indianapolis (2-14) Going with Luck
Washington - from St. Louis (2-14) Most likely getting RG3
Minnesota (3-13) Already drafted QB round 1 laster year

Cleveland (4-12) Already have Colt and may go after a RB or WR to add to Colt.

Tampa Bay (4-12) Got their QB in Freeman.

St. Louis - from Washington (5-11) Already got a QB

Jacksonville (5-11) Possibly but they already drafted a QB last year and got an investment in him. They most likely could go for a WR.

Miami (6-10) Matt Moore played well for them and they could afford to wait til the 2nd round. I could see them adding a WR now they lost Marshall.
Carolina (6-10) Cam Newton

Buffalo (6-10) They just paid boat loads for their current QB

Kansas City (7-9) Cassel is who they like.

Seattle (7-9) Matt Flynn

Arizona (8-8) Kolb and the 2nd stringer are going to battle it out.

Dallas (8-8) Got other needs

Philadelphia (8-8) Got other needs

New York Jets (8-8) If you don't know who they have, you don't need to watch football anymore.

Cincinnati - from Oakland (8-8) They got their QB

San Diego (8-8) Rivers

Chicago (8-8) Cutler

Tennessee (9-7) Locker and Hasselbeck

Cincinnati* (9-7)They got their QB

Cleveland - from Atlanta* (10-6) If he falls here, Cleveland could still take him but you have to assume that if Kendall Wright is still here, they go ahead and take him after drafting Trent Richardson earlier and take a gamble in the 2nd for Tannehill and settle for Weeden if they have to.[/COLOR

]Detroit* (10-6) They got their QBs

Pittsburgh* (12-4)

Denver* (8-8) Well again, if you don't know who their QB is now, please stop watching football.

Houston* (10-6) Former Aggie QB as the head coach, smiling, a GM who is trying to clear cap space for next year with a huge contract pending for his current starting QB who has an injury that I believe noone is sure of and the possibility that he could get hurt, yet again, and would be stuck having to settle for Yates again if he doesn't pick up a QB now.

I'm sorry but he could very easily fall out of the top 15.

Ummm, what? If the Dolphins take him with the 8th pick, I wouldn't call it their entire future.

The Dolphins have a serviceable QB right now in Matt Moore. If they take Tannehill, sure its one pick, but they will give him the keys right away and let him go whether he's ready or not. If he is then congrats you got your QB, if he's not they will work with him for 3-4 years before admitting it and moving on. Either way, if you take him you're leveraging quite a bit on him being "the guy". If he's not then you just wasted the last 4-5 years and have to start. Sure it's not their "entire future" but I think you know what I mean.

It's one pick, and no one is trading their whole draft to move up and get him at #3.

I disagree. I think somebody will trade up and take him. Just like Jax traded up for Gabbert last year and the Vikes traded up for Ponder. With the new CBA its not as big a risk financially to do so and I think QB needy teams are going to go mad trying to find their guy.

^^^

Arm strength isn't everything. He completed just 45% of his redzone passes, and is prone to being intercepted at times (multiple INTs in six games last year, lost five of those). His overall completion percentage isn't outstanding, either. He shows some promise, but probably should have stayed for one more year to work on his accuracy and decision making (and have more than 15 starts).
What are you talking about: 63% 8 per attempt, 4,036 yds, 26 TDs and 13 INTs.

I disagree. I think somebody will trade up and take him. Just like Jax traded up for Gabbert last year and the Vikes traded up for Ponder. With the new CBA its not as big a risk financially to do so and I think QB needy teams are going to go mad trying to find their guy.

That could happen, but I don't think it's likely. I would agree that Tannehill doesn't drop past #8 or out of the top 10 as was your original point upthread. His former HC in college is the new OC at Miami, and I just can't see them passing him up. He will be had by them or Cleveland in the top 8 for sure, regardless of whether or not his talents warrant that high of a pick. Other than Cleveland and Miami, I don't see a team within the top 15 that would be willing to actually give up a king's ransom to move into the 3-7 spot to pick him. El Tejano did a pretty good job of laying out the QB needs around the league, and I have to agree with him that most teams are set with their QBs for 2012. I'm pretty sure Miami knows that they have about a 75% chance of picking Tannehill at #8 right now. Only way I see them jumping up is if Cleveland trades down to 5/6/7.

I tried to rep you but this damn thing won't let me.

It's broken because my rep is so high that it can't take any more. If I get any more rep the server will have to divide by zero and it will cause the forum to implode.

63% overall doesn't mean his redzone % didn't suck, the 13 INTs were in some bad games. Overall numbers don't always tell the whole story, and 63% overall isn't outstanding. Most guys lose something like 5-10% going from college to pros, meaning he projects to just 53%-58% in the pros.

He has potential, but he could have benfitted from some more starts before going to the draft.

People that are actually clamoring for TJ Yates really shouldn't ever clown on guys like Gabbert or Tebow, or talk about about veteran QB's like Flacco or Jason Campbell, because that's about as good as Yates will ever have the potential to be.

If Yates was on the Jags or the Titans people would be laughing like hell at the guy.

Dallas (8-8) Got other needs

Dallas is my pick for who will go after Tannehill.

Jerry makes a move to push Romo to greatness or off the cliff to the rocky surf below.

63% overall doesn't mean his redzone % didn't suck, the 13 INTs were in some bad games. Overall numbers don't always tell the whole story, and 63% overall isn't outstanding. Most guys lose something like 5-10% going from college to pros, meaning he projects to just 53%-58% in the pros.

He has potential, but he could have benfitted from some more starts before going to the draft.
Many are predicting Tannehill to go top 8 and he has 61.6% & TDs to INTs almost exactly same.

Many are predicting Tannehill to go top 8 and he has 61.6% & TDs to INTs almost exactly same.

I know, but he shouldn't be going that high. He's going based more on potential than well-proven, top eight talent, and because a team will be desperate enough to draft him that high. He should be late first at best to mid-second based on his actual performance to date, but we always see QBs overdrafted and you wind up with people having years like Gabbert. (Not saying he'll be Gabbert, just making a point)

I know, but he shouldn't be going that high. He's going based more on potential than well-proven, top eight talent, and because a team will be desperate enough to draft him that high. He should be late first at best to mid-second based on his actual performance to date, but we always see QBs overdrafted and you wind up with people having years like Gabbert. (Not saying he'll be Gabbert, just making a point)
Tannehil will go first round but I agree he should be mid second at best. I have Osweiler in 3rd.

Why?? Top 8 QB's? Or a top eight pick in the first round?

I've seen where some folks have Tannehill going in the second round, at the highest. Meaning he will be picked around the 8th QB in this draft, but definitely not a first rounder. This coming from an Aggie (Coog, Bearkat, Terrapin, Game **** and whatever the hell Central Texas State's mascot is)...

*EDIT*
YES, I redefined "transient student"!

Why?? Top 8 QB's? Or a top eight pick in the first round?

I've seen where some folks have Tannehill going in the second round, at the highest. Meaning he will be picked around the 8th QB in this draft, but definitely not a first rounder. This coming from an Aggie (Coog, Bearkat, Terrapin, Game **** and whatever the hell Central Texas State's mascot is)...

*EDIT*
YES, I redefined "transient student"!

Some recent mocks have him going to Miami early in the first round. Way too high to me. Some talk is out there about Cleveland, too. (Can't see them using their 4th, but you never know, maybe their 22nd)

(Example: both McShay and Kiper are putting him at 8 with Miami, FWIW)

Some recent mocks have him going to Miami early in the first round. Way too high to me. Some talk is out there about Cleveland, too. (Can't see them using their 4th, but you never know, maybe their 22nd)

(Example: both McShay and Kiper are putting him at 8 with Miami, FWIW)

I mean no offense to Ryan, but if true, Miami and Cleveland are desperate.

Jerry Jones could very well select Tannehill and attempt to make a QB "steal of the draft."

He has to be concerned about Romo's inability to consistently win games and lift the team to new heights. This could be Jerry's chance to take a QB and have an escape plan if Romo falters in 2012.

Jerry Jones could very well select Tannehill and attempt to make a QB "steal of the draft."

He has to be concerned about Romo's inability to consistently win games and lift the team to new heights. This could be Jerry's chance to take a QB and have an escape plan if Romo falters in 2012.

While increasing Nacho sales amongst the natives.

I thunk Orton was skeletor's parachute. :rake:

It's nice to see someone else who likes Osweiler. He can probably be had in the third and should be seriously considered. He has every tool you can want in your QB and will be much more accurate after Kubiak works out the kinks in his footwork. He is the third best QB in this draft in my opinion. He made some bad decisions but was asked to carry a bad team. Tannehill made as many if not more bad decisions on a much more talented team with better skill players.

The way I see it, Osweiler will have a hard time adjusting to the NFL.

He played in the shotgun spread at ASU.
He's too tall, and that will be a serious disadvantage switching to the Texans WCO.
The way Myers snaps the ball, Schaub had to get down really low to get it.
Osweiler will have a big problem there.

Osweiler is a turnover machine because he's so big; there's just a lot of surface for defenders to hit him causing several fumbles. The hitting is not going to lessen in the NFL.

He's a good athlete for his size, but he's a bit clumsy for the NFL.

I like neither him, nor Tannehill, but IMHO, the later has better potential than the former.

Read post #31 and #32 in this thread:
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91020&page=2

Osweiler in the shotgun spread was similar to Weeden.
A lot of his throws were behind the LOS or short passes within 7 yards of the LOS. These made for easier completions as opposed to Tannehill in a pro-style offense.

Also, don't forget that in the NFL, the QB has to throw from tight space (there are plenty of time when he can't step up the pocket); Osweiler will have problem in this area as well. His height/length works to his disadvantage here.

The way I see it, Osweiler will have a hard time adjusting to the NFL.

He played in the shotgun spread at ASU.
He's too tall, and that will be a serious disadvantage switching to the Texans WCO.
The way Myers snaps the ball, Schaub had to get down really low to get it.
Osweiler will have a big problem there.

Osweiler is a turnover machine because he's so big; there's just a lot of surface for defenders to hit him causing several fumbles. The hitting is not going to lessen in the NFL.

He's a good athlete for his size, but he's a bit clumsy for the NFL.

I like neither him, nor Tannehill, but IMHO, the later has better potential than the former.

Osweiler is bigger and with a big arm........which if you watched him, he had a consistent problem with overthrowing his receivers.....short or long. He would never fit the Texans offense. If you think that Schaub is immobile..........imagine Schaub running a bootleg on stilts...........

Back