Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's your plan for QB next season?

I bet you're a big Osweiler fan and can't wait to see some of his trademark 4-yard passes next season!

Weeden may land a gig with another team and that city will laugh at Houston. The Texans' management is clueless when it comes to quarterbacks.

No, I'm a Texans fan, and Weeden hasn't made it anywhere and I'm not worried about "that city" anymore than I am about "that pie in the sky"

When Weeden is gone in 2017, you won't be missed

Honest question because I'm learning every year that crazy decisions are the norm where the Texans are concerned. Can you imagine them opening up the competition for the starting QB spot and Weeden winning it? I'd say there's no way we could possibly end up starting Brandon Weeden but then I never thought we would be starting Ryan Fitzpatrick or Brian Hoyer either. I never imagined we'd see T.J. Yates come back and win a game for us or Case Keenum in a Texans uniform.

I'd actually be a little scared to write off Weeden at this point. Like doing so could make him starting happen somehow.

Honest question because I'm learning every year that crazy decisions are the norm where the Texans are concerned. Can you imagine them opening up the competition for the starting QB spot and Weeden winning it? I'd say there's no way we could possibly end up starting Brandon Weeden but then I never thought we would be starting Ryan Fitzpatrick or Brian Hoyer either. I never imagined we'd see T.J. Yates come back and win a game for us or Case Keenum in a Texans uniform.

I'd actually be a little scared to write off Weeden at this point. Like doing so could make him starting happen somehow.

No, can't imagine that at all

I bet you're a big Osweiler fan and can't wait to see some of his trademark 4-yard passes next season!

Weeden may land a gig with another team and that city will laugh at Houston. The Texans' management is clueless when it comes to quarterbacks.

This is getting ridiculous. You sir have closet stalker attributes and i hope wheeden gets a restraining order on you soon if he doesn't already have one.

I hope they cut him just so i dont have to keep reading this bunk.

This is getting ridiculous. You sir have closet stalker attributes and i hope wheeden gets a restraining order on you soon if he doesn't already have one.

I hope they cut him just so i dont have to keep reading this bunk.

You have a loser's mentality. When you can't debate facts, you begin name-calling. Fact: Weeden is better than Osweiler and the Texans are undefeated when Weeden plays. Deal with it! I hope you enjoy your boy Osweiler's 4-yard passes next season.

As for stalking, no need for that. I had my own professional sports career and still have game.

Would you put a can in it already? Weeden isn't ever going to be the savior here. Its not even worth discussion. He hasn't been able to beat out anyone for the job, so that says enough for me and everyone else. He came in and managed a game where they won. Stop acting like he went in there and threw for 4 TD's and 400 yards. He played well enough for us not to lose the same way that Keenum did.

Houston's management may be worthless when it comes to finding QB's, but so are you apparently.

With the way the Cowboys'' surgeon treated Romos multiply-fractured collar bone...........I have no doubt that a re-fracture is just a hit or fall away............his next surgery will be a major surgery with likely career threatening implication.............that is a major reason why the Cowboys made an extremely long rehab before clearing him from a relatively minor surgery (which is not a known establish/indicated surgery for his problem), and "hidden" him from the field even for garbage times, which have been many. The Cowboys didn't want to take a chance on having his trade value disappear with another collar bone injury, as most team medical staffs would understand that they would be taking on a QB who was literally on the clock. And the Cowboys would not want Romo as a back up QB, not only because of his salary/cap, but moreso, if Prescott went down and Romo came in, they'd be soon seeing him going down, leaving them quickly looking for yet another expensive QB.

So along with Romo being a high injury risk, he would also come with a 2017 salary cap hit of $24 Million if traded. Osweiler has a $19 Million cap hit. Those wishing and hoping the Texans trade for Romo, it doesn't make sense from a dollar and salary cap point of view.

Last edited:
You have a loser's mentality. When you can't debate facts, you begin name-calling. Fact: Weeden is better than Osweiler and the Texans are undefeated when Weeden plays. Deal with it! I hope you enjoy your boy Osweiler's 4-yard passes next season.

As for stalking, no need for that. I had my own professional sports career and still have game.

images

Here are Brandon Weeden's highlights with the Texans last season. Why on earth would a coach bench and never again play a QB that played this well? Weeden is far superior to Osweiler!

Hey, Thorax, show us every pass Weeden has thrown in a game for Houston, Dallas, and wherever he was before that, and then make your case. I mean, hard to argue with these four or five, but I think a more complete record would be more helpful. Keep in mind that I'm sympathetic, generally. I thought he looked good last year in those brief appearances, but you gotta wonder why he never caught on anywhere. And he's up in years, so he's not a long term solution, I'm guessing. Sure, he's probably better than Osweiler. Are you sure he's better than Savage? Not to mention Garrapalo (sp?) or some of the other options?

No, can't imagine that at all
What I don't like about your reaponse is no detail, which is common to Weeden comment. Yesterday, someone suggested he makes bad decisions. At last something to hang your hat on, although this comment was not expanded on. If you think Weeden is not a viable option as a QB, support your position?

Have you & your agent talked about forcing a trade? If nothing else, I'd sit out of OTAs, training camp, & preseason. You're just wasting your time. O'b has already made up his mind.

Reactions: ROO
Me personally, yes to all. A franchise QB is greater than any sum of players. You keep trying until you get one. QBs are worth so much that I think a combo of JJ Watt/Clowney would get you an Andy Dalton type QB at best.

But the premise is, you aren't trading it for a franchise QB. You are trading those picks on the hope that a guy that started 3 games is a franchise QB that another team is willing to let go of. I would rather take a first round pick and spend it on whatever prospect looks good, because those contracts are cheaper and easier to rid yourself of.

Why the hell are you guys putting all this faith in yet another Patriot QB? Tom Brady is damn near 40 and the Pats are ok with this younger QB leaving?

But the premise is, you aren't trading it for a franchise QB. You are trading those picks on the hope that a guy that started 3 games is a franchise QB that another team is willing to let go of. I would rather take a first round pick and spend it on whatever prospect looks good, because those contracts are cheaper and easier to rid yourself of.

Why the hell are you guys putting all this faith in yet another Patriot QB? Tom Brady is damn near 40 and the Pats are ok with this younger QB leaving?

I like jimmy g, but good points.

I'm leaning towards a rookie qb in the first myself. But I don't know the prospects that we'll yet.

What I don't like about your reaponse is no detail, which is common to Weeden comment. Yesterday, someone suggested he makes bad decisions. At last something to hang your hat on, although this comment was not expanded on. If you think Weeden is not a viable option as a QB, support your position?

Are you reading the thread or just cherry picking comments to reply to? Herv asked a question and I responded. No, I can't imagine the scenario he described at all. I don't need any more detail than that. If you want a book go look up BOP to have a conversation with

I think Osweiler sticks around for another year. Most likely the most expensive backup that is starting. I just don't see how the cap allows them to cut him. My guess is they draft a QB, and pray for a miracle? At the current draft position. I can't imagine the kind of QB they get.

I do believe Weeden is better than Os.

That's not saying much.

Reactions: ROO
Can't cut Osweiler and don't want a criminal record so there's no point in trying to cap him from a tall building during training camp. Just have to hope that piece of **** decides that he's stolen enough money and walks away.

Who really cares? I mean seriously Bill O'Brien left to his own devices has turned the Houston Texans QB position into a league-wide running joke and when Bob McNair and his pet GM Ricky McNair got involved they managed to somehow make it worse. What does it matter who QB's the Houston Texans? It doesn't! We could put one of those wind-up monkeys playing the cymbals back there and get what we got this year. 9-7 and a playoff game is good enough for old-man McNair so why should we want anymore than that?

Sad but true.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that both Weeden and Savage are both better than Asswater, and it's not even close. He is simply not an accurate thrower of the football, and he misses open wide receivers constantly. When my 11 year old son can sit and watch and point out open receivers that Assweiler misses, it is beyond ridiculous.

I am all for drafting a QB, picking one up in FA, or whatever. Anything (and I do mean anything) is better than the garbage that Asswater gives you. Yes, I know we will be forced to keep him on the roster due to his contract but if he so much as sniffs a blade of grass on the starting field next year I might blow a gasket

I think Osweiler will look a lot better nexterm year. Year two in the system, another year with Nuk & Fiedo. Will Fuller & Braxton Miller with a second year in the system. Godsey will most likely look like a decent OC as well, but I'd just as soon they bring an NFL OC in & get away from this Georgia Tech offense.

I would also part ways with Tom Savage & Brandon Weeden and draft a QB in the first or second round.
I have been an Os supporter most of this season and have said O'b has misused him but I can't ignore his penchant for missing passes a sub par quarterback should be able to complete.

Os may have some ability to improve if coached right but I don't see that happening. Unless O'b steers clear of his hands on approach to the offense I can't see any quarterback being more than sub par.

With that said, I hope we draft a quarterback and that quarterback turns out better than expected ala Dak Prescott this season for the Cowboys.

Either that or Os pleasantly surprises us.

First and foremost we need an offensive coordinator be it George Godsey getting complete control or someone else.

I don't see that happening because O'b can lay the lions share of the blame on Os and continue being the architect of the offense.

I am not a fan of your team so i think I can look at your situation 100% objectively.

Here is the long and short of it. Get a QB. What you have isn't good enough. That is priority #1 and nothing else matters. Trade picks or a player maybe even a star player but you can't go into next season with the same QB situation or you will be in the exact same spot. At the mercy of teams with better QBs.

DO NOT draft a QB. This is the worst year to do it. It would just waste your picks. They all suck believe me. Cut Osweiler (just eat the money now and be done with it) and either trade for a guy or sign a good FA if one comes up. Best options are Romo, Jimmy G, Cousins and Bradford/Bridgewater in that order. Get one of those guys. Anything less be a huge disappointment. If you don't get a compentent QB nothing else matters.

That is your teams goal and this is a year which there is actually a chance to get a good QB in free agency.

Last edited:
Trade for Garoppolo. The Patriots' coaching staff developed him, not O'Brien.
It's not a happy thought dealing with the devil but Garoppolo is looking like the best option.
I can see him costing us a first and a third but he already knows our system so he can concentrate on gelling with his offense. I thought I read somewhere that Bill likes him too.
Or you could roll the dice again for Jacoby Brissett who also knows our system. Be a lot cheaper and if he can't beat out Osweiler I would be shocked.
Romo would be the next best option but will cost a max contract with all the competition for his services.

Last edited:
Well it's pretty easy, don't panic because well that just makes mistakes. We rolled the dice on Brock, there was no way we could have given up 3 years of first round picks and done any better with either of the two rookies. Romo might be an interesting option but he's going to cost us about 19M a year on top of Brock as I doubt we'll be able to fish off Brock for another year.

- get better on the offensive line, don't make Brock win the game.
- draft a QB in the 2nd/3rd round and again in the 4th/5th.

Option 1: Cut Brock and take the additional $6M cap hit. Keep Weeden for a year, then don't re-sign him. Keep Savage around and draft a QB in the 1st three or four rounds.

Option 2: Keep Brock for one more year and cut him at the end of next season. Cut Weeden and save the $2.1M. Then, draft someone in the 1st three or four rounds.

I'd prefer option 1. I'd rather take the additional money up front and be rid of him. We will be limited in what we can do in FA regardless, so it's not going to make a huge difference if we lose the $6M in cap space this year IMO.

avg number drafted 12 last 5 years. 5 in top 100. Avg 1 maybe 2 starters a year. weak class in 2017

when evaluating I start with swag..all top qb's have a narcissist type confidence. They are the ones who succeed in the 4th quarter. In fact out of 16 Meyer Briggs personality types many of the Hall of Fame qb's have the exact same personality type...Forget that "face of the franchise" bs...you want a rebel. The QB who is willing to call his own plays and lead in the 4th quarter. Swagger

2nd touch/vision. Can they throw to their te's, can they loft a ball over a lb and in front of a safety and most importantly can they find a te/wr in the back of the end zone in the red zone..either they have it or they don't.
3rd size/arm decent height/weight to survive and and at least an average NFL arm. Lot of stars in spread offenses lack the arm strength to hit wr's on deep outs.
pocket presence/courage feel inside the pocket and courage to take a hit to make a play.

ability to throw accurately on the move and using different throwing angles. Can't count on a clean pocket. All college qb's should complete 60% of their passes but how well they can throw into tight windows matters more.

1. Desaun Watson Clemson 6'2 215 Zak Prescott type QB a winner graduated college in 3 years quick release..fits the new era of mobile qb's

2. Pat Mahomes Texas Tech 6'2 229 true gunslinger..throws the from all angles, will run slide or take a hit young Brett Favre type qb, true gunslinger dad played 11 years in the MLB all academic love his feet/coordination.. has he right Meyers Briggs personality type to succeed

3.Mitch Trubisky North Carolina 6'3 220 junior very few starts, raw, very athletic, mobile qb with solid arm strength and quick release to be a day 1 starter. solid character scores...normally a mid/late 1 but in a weak QB draft might go very early

4. Brad Kaaya Miami tall reminds of Goff same build quick release better football personality less skill a wco prospect

5.Nathan Peterman Pittsburgh 6'2 225 3X Academic Honor Roll looks like a NFL qb big frame accurate passer plays in a pro set physically reminds me of Kurt Warner both physically and personality.. really notice his passes in tight windows

6. DeShone Kizer Notre Dame soph 6'4 230 good runner below avg accuracy with NFL arm has the tools and passes the eyeball test likely over drafted

7. Seth Russell Baylor 6'3 220 broke ankle in Nov 16 hurt neck in 7th game in 2015 Senior Bowl nfl arm/accuracy solid body good runner 1240 yards in his career, graduated in May 2016 but with serious lnjury history likely #2/3 draft pick if he was healthy solid character leader type of player has his pilot license

8. Davis Webb Cal 6'3 227 4,295 yards with a 37/12 TD/INT ratio in 12 games this season better bigger/stronger then Goff with similar arm strength but slower release Senior Bowl Texas Tech has thrown for 9852 yards in his career very nice touch on rb screens. reminds me of Sean Mannion

Jerod Evans Virginia Tech 6'2 238 best runner in the draft strong arm and touch but sociology major, jc transfer, junior and plays in a spread...adds up to a long time to learn a NFL playbook.. too talented to hide on ps and maybe won't be a #2 for awhile..team has to be willing to carry 3 qb's on 53 if they draft him similar to former Virginia Tech qb Tyrod Taylor

9. C.J. Beathard Iowa 6'2 1/2 215 lacks elite arm/size but a Zak Prescott winner type of qb more accurate passer then Prescott was in college great later rd pick at qb senior Bowl

10 Josh Dobbs Tennessee 6'2 1/2 210 2nd SEC named 3rd smartest college player in 2015. Senior Bowl, genius, quick release, strong arm, scrambles, good runner, strong enough to run through arm tackles with only avg accuracy in mid/long passes as a spread qb might be a #2 qb in the NFL

11..Chad Kelly Mississippi 6'2 224 athletic avg accuracy/arm strength backup type Named to SEC Academic Honor Roll in 2015-16 ... Made Dean’s Honor Roll for Spring 2015 ... Has a 3.02 GPA after spring 2016 semester has a solid chance to make a team as their 3rd qb or ps

12.Sefo Liufau Colorado 6'3 230 econ major very bright Senior Bowl 4X starter Freshman All American 8932 career passing 761 russing

13. Antonio Pipkin Tiffin 6'2 210 Senior bowl 2016 GLIAC PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2,534 passing 64.9 completion percentage while also rushing for 757 yards (68.8 yards per game). Pipkin is 3rd qb l in Division II history to gain 2,000 yards rushing and 10,000 yards passing in a career.. 4x four-time All-GLIAC honoree better runner then passer has NFL arm but lacks accuracy 7th/udfa

Last edited:
Option 1: Cut Brock and take the additional $6M cap hit. Keep Weeden for a year, then don't re-sign him. Keep Savage around and draft a QB in the 1st three or four rounds.

Option 2: Keep Brock for one more year and cut him at the end of next season. Cut Weeden and save the $2.1M. Then, draft someone in the 1st three or four rounds.

I'd prefer option 1. I'd rather take the additional money up front and be rid of him. We will be limited in what we can do in FA regardless, so it's not going to make a huge difference if we lose the $6M in cap space this year IMO.

That's where I'm at.

Just be done with him. I'll readily admit I was good with the signing. But he's a mess. He can't do it. Just move on.

I am listening to 610 (Triple Threat) and man are they crapping all over Os

I don't think I've ever heard anybody from texans radio talk so badly of someone still on the team

Something which hasn't been mentioned as far as I know, Weeden has one year left on a very affordable contract. I would think that, at the right time during training camp, Weeden would have trade value.

Listening to OB right now, a question was asked about the QB position, mentioning Oz and Savage, and OB interrupted the reporter to include Weeden.

Right or wrong - I would be highly surprised if OS isn't the 2017 starter. To much money tied up, plus an owner that has vast amounts of patience or loyalty... or dementia :)

Given history and track record - I would be surprised if we draft a QB higher than round 4 just not how they do things.

Me I would like OL in round 1 and the best available option at QB in round 2 (I would have like that to be Mahomes (sp?) but looks like he is moving up the board, maybe even top 10).

Again, listening to OB on 610, the tone of his reply to questions regarding Oz was very negative. The commentators noted this as opposed to other replies when you could tell OB was really positive about other players.

Inaccuracy cant be fixed.

After seeing Os crap the bed all yr I don't think you really believe this. You're smarter than this, trust what you see.

They will carry 3 QB's, who's your 3rd.
I felt better with david Carr than Brock Osweiler. And I think David Carr would have won that game Saturday. That's how bad Brock is.

Drew Brees. No, Im not unrealistic

Saints are basically in a complete rebuild mode. Send Brock + a pick to the Saints. That gets the Saints out from under Brees contract, gives them a placeholder QB for a year and they can walk away after one year from Brock.

Draft a QB this year and let him sit and learn for a couple years
I was thinking the same thing. Hell I'll send them 4 picks For breed.

My plan is to eat more chikin. That or watch more hockey. The Texans have no plan other than who to eat lunch with the next day. Maybe they are now worried about tax payer funds to replace NRG Stadium (see Georgia Dome).

The football thing?? If they don't care I'm not caring either. At least back in the day there was Astroworld to forget your troubles.

Man, I didn't realize the Georgia Dome was "only" 24 years old. That stadium in St. Louis is only 21 years old. Based on these examples, I expect to hear grumbling from Kirby to start within the next 5 years.

While the play calling is mostly awful and the coaching is questionable I really don't think those are the biggest issues at play here. The play calling got Will Fuller wide open on a deep post earlier in the game and Osweiler decided to throw a 5 yard hitch into a linebacker's chest instead. His horrific accuracy and decision making are what is keeping him from succeeding.

He picks his intended receiver before the ball is ever snapped. You can tell when he's actually going through reads because he ends up scrambling because he's so lost on where he needs to go with the ball.

Yep. Brock's college scouting report reads like it was just written about him last week. He has not improved his basic game in 5 seasons.

We're not using the Patriots version.

Erhardt-Perkins, like WCO is language & concepts. What we do, what the Giants do, what Carolina does... all totally different but EP.

Actually, according to O'Brien himself, he is running a slightly modified version of the Patriots Erhardt-Perkins system that he learned in NE. He admitted this during a radio interview when specifically asked about it.

Just Googled his name. The first hit was a story about him wanting to return to coaching if the situation is right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wonder how the McNair haters would feel if this was forced on OB. Kinda like Wade was with Kubiak.

Man, I didn't realize the Georgia Dome was "only" 24 years old. That stadium in St. Louis is only 21 years old. Based on these examples, I expect to hear grumbling from Kirby to start within the next 5 years.

Wouldn't be surprised if they proposed to build a new stadium where the Astrodome is, if the spaceship's still there in 5 years.

Back