Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Watson's value in a trade?

expecting the Dolphins to suddenly miraculously turn around to become a "winning team" by his presence alone, would be just another career decision consistent with all of his other poor life choices.

lol, funny you should say that b/c this is the exact rationale fans use when they talk about landing a HC and/or franchise qb. So in that regard, you can't blame him for thinking this way even if it is flawed as all get out.

This is the same prima-donna diva player that thought he deserved to pick the new head coach and GM. He's arrogant and selfish.

I lost all respect for the guy when he started acting like a little witch just a few months after signing a $111 million guaranteed contract.

I'm not sure that the same arrogant attitude is going to just accept being a mere QB on a random NFL team. He appears to believe that he's entitled to a part of management decisions and pouts and refuses to play when he does not get his way.
His prima-Donna diva attitude is bad enough but really irks me was his “concern” with the Texans being fair and ethical with him while at the exact same time he was getting very unethical massages in a deviant manner that unethically screwed the Texans, his teammates and the NFL. The damage he has carelessly inflicted has put this team and coaches, some of whom are getting ethically deserved chances for the first to succeed in a deeper than deserved hole

To me, it's looking like no trade. It doesn't seem to be compensation, but rather that Ross and Tepper want the legal issues resolved before any trade. And this simply isn't going to happen over the next 7 days.

If they can't come to some sort of agreement or compromise in the next 7 days, why should we expect a trade before next years draft? The legal issues will still be unresolved, if that is the hangup.

The Chronicle reports that part of the problem also lies with Watson because he doesn't want to settle his cases because he believes this would be an admission of guilt.

I haven't seen it stated explicitly, but it occurs to me that "settle the legal issues" could mean any action by Goodell; and not necessarily an end to all of Watson's legal issues, which obviously could take several years.

The owners may simply want clarification and assurances from Goodell; and if this is the case, then there may still be a crack in the window for the possibility of a trade.

Last edited:
If Miami is the team…..I’d be fine with three RD1 picks (1- 2022 / 2- 2023), one RD2 (2023) pick, and to help the rebuilding process, I’d demand OG, Liam Eichenberg (2021 RD2 Pick) as part of the package.

If Miami were to balk at the idea of losing Eichenberg, I’d throw LG, Max Scharping (2019 RD2 Pick) into the deal for a 2022 RD3 pick. For Miami, he represents a plug-n-play LG who’d be under contract thru the 2022 season.

Miami Gets:
QB- Watson
LG- Scharping

Texans Get:
LG- Eichenberg
RD1 / RD3
RD1 / RD1 / RD2

Eichenberg would fill a big need position which should free one of the picks up for another area of need in the draft. I liked Eichenberg in the 2021 draft and knew he would be gone before the Texans would pick in RD3….so getting him in this manner would be pretty cool.

To me, it's looking like no trade. It doesn't seem to be compensation, but rather that Ross and Tepper want the legal issues resolved before any trade. And this simply isn't going to happen over the next 7 days.

If they can't come to some sort of agreement or compromise in the next 7 days, why should we expect a trade before next years draft? The legal issues will still be unresolved, if that is the hangup.

The Chronicle reports that part of the problem also lies with Watson because he doesn't want to settle his cases because he believes this would be an admission of guilt.

I haven't seen it stated explicitly, but it occurs to me that "settle the legal issues" could mean any action by Goodell; and not necessarily an end to all of Watson's legal issues, which obviously could take several years.

The owners may simply want clarification and assurances from Goodell; and if this is the case, then there may still be a crack in the window for the possibility a trade.

I wonder if there’s any chance that Hardin and Watson have been working on a settlement with Buzbee and the accusers, out of the media spotlight….so they could find the quickest way to help Watson resume his career and put this mess behind him before the trade deadline?

Just guessing but this may be where the real negotiations are happening and why it’s being announced that Watson is suddenly dropping his NTC. We know there’s no way the depositions nor court date would be expedited so the only way any of this could be moving towards a trade being completed before the deadline would sort of hinge on how far along Hardin may be with settlement talks.

Last edited:
So the talking heads are saying the Texans should want more than three 1st round picks & two 2nd round picks.

I'd be happy with three 1st round picks & two 2nd round picks.

At this point, with no conditions, I'd be fine with it. That's the discount for taking on the rest of the risk. The more clarity there is in the legal situation, the more the price should shift one way or the other, depending on what we find out.

I wonder if there’s any chance that Hardin and Watson have been working on a settlement with Buzbee and the accusers, out of the media spotlight….so they could find the quickest way to help Watson resume his career and put this mess behind him before the trade deadline?

Just guessing but this may be where the real negotiations are happening and why it’s being announced that Watson is suddenly dropping his NTC. We know there’s no way the depositions nor court date would be expedited so the only way any of this could be moving towards a trade being completed before the deadline would sort of hinge on how far along Hardin may be with settlement talks.
What about the whole criminal trial aspect of this sordid affair, and the whole Grand Jury thing ? I dunno that's not just gonna go away between now and Nov 2 even if Watson settles with each and every plaintiffs by then, is it ?

What about the whole criminal trial aspect of this sordid affair, and the whole Grand Jury thing ? I dunno that's not just gonna go away between now and Nov 2 even if Watson settles with each and every plaintiffs by then, is it ?

I've heard rumors that the Dolphins have reached out to the city of Houston for assurances. LOL... Or information, or whatever. Good luck with that.

Exactly why I've said from the get go that there would be no trade before the deadline.

The criminal cases are the crux of the situation as I've stated from day one.

It has been reported that Watson has dropped his no trade clause only for the Dolphins.

If Harden and Watson believe they can win or resolve the criminal charges, they would not see them as hindrance to a trade. Perhaps why some are saying Stephen Ross wants word from Goodell DW would not be suspended. He might not be as concerned about criminal charges as some here think.

Last edited:
If Harden and Watson believe they can win or resolve the criminal charges, they would not see them as hindrance to a trade. Perhaps why some are saying Stephen Ross wants word from Goodell DW would not be suspended. He might be as concerned about criminal charges as some here think.
Unlike Cal McNair who was born into wealth, Stephen Ross is a self-made billionaire (actually reportedly about 7 B) who got his start as a tax lawyer working for a large investment firm, so you've got to know this is the kind of man who makes sure all of the ts are crossed and all of the is are dotted before he signs off on a deal, so of course he will want to determine the extent of Watsons exposure to any risk of criminal conviction. Ascertaining that risk between now and next Tuesday is probably impossible which is why Watson will almost surely still be on the Texans' payroll this time next week.
End of story.

Unlike Cal McNair who was born into wealth, Stephen Ross is a self-made billionaire (actually reportedly about 7 B) who got his start as a tax lawyer working for a large investment firm, so you've got to know this is the kind of man who makes sure all of the ts are crossed and all of the is are dotted before he signs off on a deal, so of course he will want to determine the extent of Watsons exposure to any risk of criminal conviction. Ascertaining that risk between now and next Tuesday is probably impossible which is why Watson will almost surely still be on the Texans' payroll this time next week.
End of story.

Just so we are clear, Bob McNair was a failed businessman when founded Cogen Technologies in 1984. Cal was 23 years old. He went to public schools his entire life and graduated from Cy-Fair High School. Hardly the silver-spooned childhood.

Just so we are clear, Bob McNair was a failed businessman when founded Cogen Technologies in 1984. Cal was 23 years old. He went to public schools his entire life and graduated from Cy-Fair High School. Hardly the silver-spooned childhood.
Bob McNair, the organizations founder, was himself like Ross a self-made billionaire whereas his son Cal just fell into a really good thing
by way of being a billionaires son.

End of story.

It makes you wonder what a guy like Ross thinks of Cal when he sees him at an owners meeting scarfing down donuts at the buffet. :whistle:

I mean sure, Cal at 38 years old benefited from his dad becoming a billionaire in 1999 by selling his company to Enron.

He worked at the company his dad founded as one of the first employees.

Financial analysis, project management, and supervising construction projects were his job functions.

He has 7 kids and is a big game hunter.

So says Wikipedia.

Right. Started in 1987 at 26 years old, three years after the company was founded. Pretty sure dad wasn't a billionaire at that point. Which is my whole point. Cal being wealthy now doesn't mean he was born into wealth or grew up wealthy. He and his father as adults worked together to build the company that generated the wealth. Dude is smart and dude knows how to work. He isn't a trust fund baby.

Bob McNair, the organizations founder, was himself like Ross a self-made billionaire whereas his son Cal just fell into a really good thing
by way of being a billionaires son.

Yes, Bob McNair did make his money off of Enron being a fraud and probably a case of insider trading. I guess that's a case of being self made. Simply put after Bob sold his soul Cal won the gene pool.

He worked at the company his dad founded as one of the first employees.

Financial analysis, project management, and supervising construction projects were his job functions.

He has 7 kids and is a big game hunter.

So says Wikipedia.

Getting coffee and doughnuts wasn't on his resume?

Then selling his stock just before Enron collapsed. Coincidence?

"McNair found success when he started Cogen Technologies, an electric utility company that generated power and steam at the same time, in the early 1980s to take advantage of new federal deregulation laws. He reportedly started the company with $1 million in capital and sold it in 1999 to Enron Corp. for $1.5 billion. McNair’s deal with Enron was cash — not stock — a smart move as Enron later imploded in 2001."

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston...execs-remember-bob-mcnair-and-his-legacy.html

Right. Started in 1987 at 26 years old, three years after the company was founded. Pretty sure dad wasn't a billionaire at that point. Which is my whole point. Cal being wealthy now doesn't mean he was born into wealth or grew up wealthy. He and his father as adults worked together to build the company that generated the wealth. Dude is smart and dude knows how to work. He isn't a trust fund baby.

Dude is smart?

That's some funny stuff.

I agree he didn't become wealthy because his dad was a business failure until hegot in bed with the Ken Lay's of the world and became NFL type rich do to what could probably be best described as insider trading. All you have to do to become rich is be smart and sell your soul.

I could've done this in my business and made a fortune. (Not billionaire rich but several millionaire rich) If you want me to tell you how I could've done this PM me. My conscience and upbringing wouldn't let me do this.

"McNair found success when he started Cogen Technologies, an electric utility company that generated power and steam at the same time, in the early 1980s to take advantage of new federal deregulation laws. He reportedly started the company with $1 million in capital and sold it in 1999 to Enron Corp. for $1.5 billion. McNair’s deal with Enron was cash — not stock — a smart move as Enron later imploded in 2001."

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston...execs-remember-bob-mcnair-and-his-legacy.html

At the time I read that he sold stock just before the fall of Enron. Guess I was wrong.

Anyways, he got wealthy off of dirty money is the point. With this said, every billionaire that hasn't inherited $$$$ has skeletons in their closet.

Yes, Bob McNair did make his money off of Enron being a fraud and probably a case of insider trading. I guess that's a case of being self made. Simply put after Bob sold his soul Cal won the gene pool.
For the record McNair sold his company to Enron a couple years before Enron went belly up and well before most were aware of Enron managements fraudulent activity. And the very business savvy Mcnair demanded and received cash and not Enron equity for his end of the deal.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/20

Last edited:
At the time I read that he sold stock just before the fall of Enron. Guess I was wrong.

Anyways, he got wealthy off of dirty money is the point. With this said, every billionaire that hasn't inherited $$$$ has skeletons in their closet.

He received cash and Enron stock, which he sold less than a year before it imploded. He was tight with Ken Lay, who was a minority owner in the Houston Texans in the beginning.

Sports Illustrated: How They Made Their Money: McNair made the bulk of his money in 1999, prior to buying the Texans, when he sold his power generator company, Cogen Technologies, to Enron for $1.5 billion in cash and stock.

The Houston Press had a much more detailed article about it, but since it went belly up, so did their articles. I could probably find more details if I wanted to bother to look for it, but it doesn't matter in the end.

I find it humorous that folks want to give Cal credit for building the business just because he was there. Yeah, same dude sitting at Reliant in an empty office playing video games just screams business acumen and success. :heh:

He received cash and Enron stock, which he sold less than a year before it imploded. He was tight with Ken Lay, who was a minority owner in the Houston Texans in the beginning.

Sports Illustrated: How They Made Their Money: McNair made the bulk of his money in 1999, prior to buying the Texans, when he sold his power generator company, Cogen Technologies, to Enron for $1.5 billion in cash and stock.

The Houston Press had a much more detailed article about it, but since it went belly up, so did their articles. I could probably find more details if I wanted to bother to look for it, but it doesn't matter in the end.

I find it humorous that folks want to give Cal credit for building the business just because he was there. Yeah, same dude sitting at Reliant in an empty office playing video games just screams business acumen and success. :heh:

Elon Musk smoked week with Joe Rogan.

Steve Jobs did LCD.

Cal played video games.

Watson is radioactive. I would be floored if he were traded for more than one 1st at this point. If I were the Dolphins, I would tell the Texans they need to drop their demands a bit, OR make the future 1sts conditional based on Watsons availability.

Good to see you back man.

How have you been doing.

Watson is radioactive. I would be floored if he were traded for more than one 1st at this point. If I were the Dolphins, I would tell the Texans they need to drop their demands a bit, OR make the future 1sts conditional based on Watsons availability.

Peter King is that you

• I will be shocked if Deshaun Watson is traded. As I’ve said all along, trading for a star with as many question marks surrounding him is, to put it charitably, irresponsible and desperate and stupid. Normally I’m not prone to conspiracy theories, but the conspiracy theorist in me says all the reports of the chances he could be traded are music to the ears of Houston owner Cal McNair and GM Nick Caserio. To McNair, Watson is a headache he prays will go away, soon. To Caserio, Watson is an opportunity to get a better return next March than he could get now.

and he continues, actually one the few national blowhards to criticize Watson

One last note about Watson: I’ll always think the dumbest thing about this whole situation is pride and hubris. Watson seems convinced either that he did nothing wrong or that he would never be found to have done something wrong, so why not fight it? But a smart person, or a smart lawyer, would have said last May: Let’s cut our losses. Let’s make a global settlement of say, $3 million, to the aggrieved women, let’s issue a heartfelt apology, let’s take a six-week NFL suspension. Do you know what would have happened if Watson had done that? He’d be tarnished—not as much as he could be by mid-2022—but he’d also be on a team preparing to play in Week 9. Ironically, if the Texans had dealt Watson to Miami last summer, there’s a very good chance the QB matchup at Hard Rock Stadium next Sunday would be Houston’s Tua Tagovailoa versus Miami’s Deshaun Watson in his Dolphins debut.

Peter King is that you

and he continues, actually one the few national blowhards to criticize Watson
So you think Watson hired a bunch of independent "massage therapists" from Instagram, flew them into town for their services, and had no intention of having sex with them? Or is this all a big misunderstanding?

There should be plenty of DMs to explain the real story, but I'm guessing if that was favorable to Deshaun, he would have already released them. I think he has two choices here, either settle out of court and take a mild suspension, or go to court and potentially be charged with a number of issues ranging from soliciting prostitution, sexual assault and up to human trafficking. The findings from that case will become public one way or another and he may be in a worse position after it's over. He's put himself between a rock and a hard place, but as long as he keeps getting those big checks from the Texans, he won't care much about the trade deal.

Jets are reportedly upset with left tackle Mekhi Becton who has allowed his weight to balloon up to 367 which was approximately his combine weight. Becton may be returning soon from his knee injury. IIRC he played at about 350 for NY. He ran a 5.10 40 and handled position fairly well his rookie season. Once healthy I think he can get his weight down.

DW, Scharping and Blacklock in off season to Jets for Becton, Vera-Tucker and both round ones in 22 and 23.

And now with a tie the Lions are only one-half game ahead of us in the race for 1.1!

Last edited:
Jets are reportedly upset with left tackle Mekhi Becton who has allowed his weight to balloon up to 367 which was approximately his combine weight. Becton may be returning soon from his knee injury. IIRC he played at about 350 for NY. He ran a 5.10 40 and handled position fairly well his rookie season. Once healthy I think he can get his weight down.

DW, Scharping and Blacklock in off season to Jets for Becton, Vera-Tucker and both round ones in 22 and 23.
Oh man. Becton in Houston? With that dude punishing the Tex Mex and sopapillas he’ll soon be 467.

Oh man. Becton in Houston? With that dude punishing the Tex Mex and sopapillas he’ll soon be 467.
Well as my post stated he has been injured and most players to pick up wait especially big boys on the line. Also as I stated he weighed about 365 at the combine and was impressive enough to be drafted in the round he was. I do share your concern with his waistline but it's not just about him but what would come with him in a trade package. For example,

Becton, 1.3+ 1.11 + 2.35+ 2.43 + Vera-Tucker left guard for DW.

Back