Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"What if" question for you Texan fans

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
Here's my "what if" question for you guys:

Let's say David Carr has a decent career. Not Hall of Fame, but a Brad Johnson-ish type career. He becomes a confident quarterback, he throws between 20-25 TD's a year, but never is one of the elite. But Carr and Co. lead the Texans to one Super Bowl and we win it. We may go to the playoffs 4 or 5 other times during his career, but we only get to one SB, but we win it.

Now let's say Vince Young has a magnificent career. He's a Pro-Bowl QB almost every year and has the stats to back it up (unlike Mike Vick). He's the MVP a couple of times and is one of the best QB's of the last 20 years. He also leads the Texans to the playoffs 7 or 8 times, but never wins a Super Bowl. He has Dan Marino-ish career. Great QB, never gets the ring.

Which one would you take?

TexanSam said:

Let's say David Carr has a decent career. Not Hall of Fame, but a Brad Johnson-ish type career. He becomes a confident quarterback, he throws between 20-25 TD's a year, but never is one of the elite. But Carr and Co. lead the Texans to one Super Bowl and we win it. We may go to the playoffs 4 or 5 other times during his career, but we only get to one SB, but we win it.

Now let's say Vince Young has a magnificent career. He's a Pro-Bowl QB almost every year and has the stats to back it up (unlike Mike Vick). He's the MVP a couple of times and is one of the best QB's of the last 20 years. He also leads the Texans to the playoffs 7 or 8 times, but never wins a Super Bowl. He has Dan Marino-ish career. Great QB, never gets the ring.

Super Bowl win. In. a. heartbeat.

Would you date a super model for 10 years even if you could never have sex with her just to impress your friends?

As decades pass the memories of players fade. Superbowl victories last forever.

Joe Namath is probably the most overated QB of all time. (In my opinion is the most overated QB if not player of all time) In fact in his 13 year career he only threw more tds than ints a total of TWO seasons and had a completion % over 50% only six times and never threw for more than 53%.

Despite all this the Jets victory in Superbowl III and his "Guarantee" has led people to believe that he was a great QB. He won the mvp in that game despite over 90% of his completions going to one receiver and not completing a pass in the second half of that game. He was even inducted in the the "Football Hall of Fame" and all of this was a direct result of that ONE game in the superbowl. (also being hyped by the NY media helps)

Anyway if David goes on to win a Superbowl and Vince doesn't history will hold David in a higher regard and Carr will end up having a better career.

Its all about the rings baby.

Whoever can get us the most superbowl wins... in your scenario, that would be David........ judging by their skill level, work ethic, and all around will to win... I think David Carr is the more Marino-ish of the two...... actually, I'd say he's more Bledsoe-ish...... he'll probably get us their one day, and not come home with the win....

Carr Bomb said:
As decades pass the memories of players fade. Superbowl victories last forever.

Joe Namath is probably the most overated QB of all time. (In my opinion is the most overated QB if not player of all time) In fact in his 13 year career he only threw more tds than ints a total of TWO seasons and had a completion % over 50% only six times and never threw for more than 53%.

Despite all this the Jets victory in Superbowl III and his "Guarantee" has led people to believe that he was a great QB. He won the mvp in that game despite over 90% of his completions going to one receiver and not completing a pass in the second half of that game. He was even inducted in the the "Football Hall of Fame" and all of this was a direct result of that ONE game in the superbowl. (also being hyped by the NY media helps)

Anyway if David goes on to win a Superbowl and Vince doesn't history will hold David in a higher regard and Carr will end up having a better career.

Its all about the rings baby.

I'm not so certain about what you say of Willy Joe having watched a lot of his games. People forget he was a very injured ball player playing at a very high level. He had the quick release and he was a leader. I think your are under estimating his abilities. Again, injuries played a big part in his career and he left a great deal on the field because of that. I don't think his team mates ever questioned his leadership or guts. He obviously had other issues, however, on the field he was better than most think.

Ibar_Harry said:
I'm not so certain about what you say of Willy Joe having watched a lot of his games. People forget he was a very injured ball player playing at a very high level. He had the quick release and he was a leader. I think your are under estimating his abilities. Again, injuries played a big part in his career and he left a great deal on the field because of that. I don't think his team mates ever questioned his leadership or guts. He obviously had other issues, however, on the field he was better than most think.
injuries (he only missed significant time in four seasons) don't explain his decision making (INT to TD ratio) and his completion %, nor does it explain why he was elected into the Hall of Fame, Thats like saying Bo Jackson should be nominated since he was very good, but was cut down by injuries.

I've talked to multiple Jet fans who think Joe was overated. Ask yourself this, if he doesn't make that gaurantee and if the Raiders won the year before, does he reach God status in the almanacs of sports history......NO. All his stardom came off one game and the fact he played in NY.

I'm not saying he was a crappy qb, but he was just above mediocre to say the least and definitely, didn't have a HOF career.

Carr Bomb said:
injuries (he only missed significant time in four seasons) don't explain his decision making (INT to TD ratio) and his completion %, nor does it explain why he was elected into the Hall of Fame, Thats like saying Bo Jackson should be nominated since he was very good, but was cut down by injuries.

I've talked to multiple Jet fans who think Joe was overated. Ask yourself this, if he doesn't make that gaurantee and if the Raiders won the year before, does he reach God status in the almanacs of sports history......NO. All his stardom came off one game and the fact he played in NY.

I'm not saying he was a crappy qb, but he was just above mediocre to say the least and definitely, didn't have a HOF career.

Injuries and pressure from teams knowing he had the gimpy legs I think lead to a lot of that. Look at film when he was in his prime and playing for the Bear. In fact he was injured I believe in his senior year. I think you might have a different insight. Remember, he had to wear very short cleats to try to avoid serious injury. Hey, I just feel a little differently than you. No big deal.

Carr and the Superbowl. Young if the situation was reversed. Basically whichever one of those guys can turn it around for this team and get us there and win the big game.

I unfortunately watched every game this past season and I saw NOTHING that would lead me to believe that DC could ever take us to the SB, as a matter of FACT, on more than one occasion I saw him SUCCESSFULLY duck a would be tackler and he STILL went down. Now I have a lot of faith in GK but I'm not sure he or anyone for that matter can get DC back where he can be successful but if that is the path we as a team choose to take I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, but I have my doubts. I'm all for drafting VY and letting him learn his first year then trade DC next year and we start being a serious SB contender after that. IMO:drool:

What loaded question. One goes to 5 or 6 playoffs and wins the Super Bowl. One goes to 7 or 8 playoffs.

Exchange two playoff appearances for one Super Bowl win?

That's math that really only allows for one answer.

Tulip said:
What loaded question. One goes to 5 or 6 playoffs and wins the Super Bowl. One goes to 7 or 8 playoffs.

Exchange two playoff appearances for one Super Bowl win?

That's math that really only allows for one answer.

I agree. A more difficult decision might be if Carr led the Texans to 2 playoff appearances in the next 10 years and won one Super Bowl while Young led them to 7 playoff appearances and no Super Bowls in the same time span. I'd still go with a Super Bowl win. Everyone remembers the winners, but nobody remembers those that were in the playoffs 6 years ago.

TexanSam said:

Since Carr wins a Super Bowl you have to pick him. I don't care if young is better the only thing that matters is winning the Super Bowl

If everyone agrees that we'll win a SB with Carr, then I don't get what all the arguing is about. :) See, it's all settled now. :)

What the **** are we gonna talk about? idonno:

Seriously though, I agree that Houston needs that SB. We've already had one QB set records for passing yardage all over the place and never win the big one (and a RB with rushing), even though I don't blame him for that problem.

SB with Carr (or anyone else) is the easy pick.

Better question would include a choice between twelve years with eleven losing seasons and one SB victory or the twelve years the Buffalo Bills had from 1988 to 1999 with 10 playoff appearances, 4 Super Bowls, but no title. :hmmm:

Gimme the title....NOTHING compares to ending a season with a championship.

I really don't see any ONE player making THAT big of a difference anyway. Take Buffalo for instance: there were two reasons they never won a SB really. One was an unforeseen field-goal situation and the other one was getting beat two SBs in a row by the best team in the history of the NFL. A whole lot of it is being hot at the right time and not when one of the all time greats is rolling big-time. Another way to get screwed is playing the Steelers and having blind referees. :)

I can't imagine another team going to four superbowls, and never bringing home the Lombardy..... definitely not 4 years n a row.

TexanSam said:

I understand this is a hypothetical situation, but because it gives the outcome, IMO it doesn't get at the point you are aiming at. The question should be, 'what if' the Texans got to a Superbowl, which QB would you rather have at the helm?' And although stats are not the most important thing in football, it is undeniable that 10 yrs from now people will be struggling to remember Trent Dilfer (1 SB win), but have no trouble recalling Dan Marino (no SB wins). I guess the question you are asking is, as a Texans fan, would you rather have an NFL icon/legend as your QB, or one SB win with an average QB. The only way I would take the win is if there were some icons/legends on the defensive side, like the '85 Bears or '01 Ravens, or LT. I say that because at least with legendary players (on either side of the ball) I would always feel like we had a chance to win it all every year, and that belief of being good enough (as a team, and for fans) is almost as important as actually being good enough.
So, I would rather have a guy (on off or def.) who I believed could get us to The Game every year, rather than a guy I wasn't sure about, but happened to luck up one year. I hate when my team doesn't make the playoffs...

what is the purpose of this question? if anything the scenario would be reversed, Carr will probably end up more plummer-like, he's a good qb that'll put up some good stats, and good enough to get you to the playoffs, but hes likely not a true difference-maker or gamebreaker who is going to take over down the stretch in games like vince young has shown the ability to do better than anyone else at the college level. unless carr is backed by an amazing defense, i dont see the texans winning a superbowl with him at qb.

travfrancis said:
what is the purpose of this question? if anything the scenario would be reversed, Carr will probably end up more plummer-like, he's a good qb that'll put up some good stats, and good enough to get you to the playoffs, but hes likely not a true difference-maker or gamebreaker who is going to take over down the stretch in games like vince young has shown the ability to do better than anyone else at the college level. unless carr is backed by an amazing defense, i dont see the texans winning a superbowl with him at qb.

If Carr will be like Plummer then am I wrong for saying that Young will end up like Warren Moon?

You ask any player (well I guess there may be one or two selfish ones that wouldn't agree). But most would trade their personal acheivements for a Super Bowl. I don't give 2 flips if the qb runs for 4000 yards and throws for 8000 in one season. If the team doesn't win the Super Bowl - it means nothing.

SO - Carr and the Super Bowl get my vote...

TexanSam said:

1) Saying Vince will put up Dan Marino numbers is silly, he doesn't have the throwing capabilites and we don't have the team/offensive system to do that.

2) I'd take the Super Bowl any day, that is the ultimate goal and purpose for these players playing the game.

TexanSam said:

Lets say that Carr has a decent career and wins one SB. VY has a HOF career and wins 9 Super Bowls. Which one do you take?!:rolleyes:

I'm being sarcastic, but I guess what I'm saying is...I really don't get this thread.:confused:

Who wouldn't take the SB win w/ Carr if VY had zero? My point is, I don't think Carr will ever get to the SB. But I guess if you're looking for a way for people to pick Carr over VY, then you worded it right.:stirpot:

TexanSam said:

David Carr in a heartbeat. Its Super Bowl or bust.

I do not think Vince Young is going to be the game chaning, amazing player he is being made out to be. I think VY will be a very good QB who makes several pro bowl appearances, but would everyone please stop annointing him as the next coming.

Back