"What if" question for you Texan fans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanSam, Feb 3, 2006.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Here's my "what if" question for you guys:

Let's say David Carr has a decent career. Not Hall of Fame, but a Brad Johnson-ish type career. He becomes a confident quarterback, he throws between 20-25 TD's a year, but never is one of the elite. But Carr and Co. lead the Texans to one Super Bowl and we win it. We may go to the playoffs 4 or 5 other times during his career, but we only get to one SB, but we win it.

Now let's say Vince Young has a magnificent career. He's a Pro-Bowl QB almost every year and has the stats to back it up (unlike Mike Vick). He's the MVP a couple of times and is one of the best QB's of the last 20 years. He also leads the Texans to the playoffs 7 or 8 times, but never wins a Super Bowl. He has Dan Marino-ish career. Great QB, never gets the ring.

Which one would you take?

2. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

Super Bowl win. In. a. heartbeat.

3. swisher

swisher Old School

Would you date a super model for 10 years even if you could never have sex with her just to impress your friends?

4. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

As decades pass the memories of players fade. Superbowl victories last forever.

Joe Namath is probably the most overated QB of all time. (In my opinion is the most overated QB if not player of all time) In fact in his 13 year career he only threw more tds than ints a total of TWO seasons and had a completion % over 50% only six times and never threw for more than 53%.

Despite all this the Jets victory in Superbowl III and his "Guarantee" has led people to believe that he was a great QB. He won the mvp in that game despite over 90% of his completions going to one receiver and not completing a pass in the second half of that game. He was even inducted in the the "Football Hall of Fame" and all of this was a direct result of that ONE game in the superbowl. (also being hyped by the NY media helps)

Anyway if David goes on to win a Superbowl and Vince doesn't history will hold David in a higher regard and Carr will end up having a better career.

Its all about the rings baby.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Whoever can get us the most superbowl wins... in your scenario, that would be David........ judging by their skill level, work ethic, and all around will to win... I think David Carr is the more Marino-ish of the two...... actually, I'd say he's more Bledsoe-ish...... he'll probably get us their one day, and not come home with the win....

6. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

I'm not so certain about what you say of Willy Joe having watched a lot of his games. People forget he was a very injured ball player playing at a very high level. He had the quick release and he was a leader. I think your are under estimating his abilities. Again, injuries played a big part in his career and he left a great deal on the field because of that. I don't think his team mates ever questioned his leadership or guts. He obviously had other issues, however, on the field he was better than most think.

7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

injuries (he only missed significant time in four seasons) don't explain his decision making (INT to TD ratio) and his completion %, nor does it explain why he was elected into the Hall of Fame, Thats like saying Bo Jackson should be nominated since he was very good, but was cut down by injuries.

I've talked to multiple Jet fans who think Joe was overated. Ask yourself this, if he doesn't make that gaurantee and if the Raiders won the year before, does he reach God status in the almanacs of sports history......NO. All his stardom came off one game and the fact he played in NY.

I'm not saying he was a crappy qb, but he was just above mediocre to say the least and definitely, didn't have a HOF career.

8. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Injuries and pressure from teams knowing he had the gimpy legs I think lead to a lot of that. Look at film when he was in his prime and playing for the Bear. In fact he was injured I believe in his senior year. I think you might have a different insight. Remember, he had to wear very short cleats to try to avoid serious injury. Hey, I just feel a little differently than you. No big deal.

9. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

no problem, if everybody agreed there would be no purpose for this board

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

damn I reached my 1,000th post and didn't even notice, I wish it could of been a little more meaningful :cool:

11. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I take Carr and the Superbowl, without a doubt.

12. HoustonFan

HoustonFan Hall of Fame

Carr and the Superbowl. Young if the situation was reversed. Basically whichever one of those guys can turn it around for this team and get us there and win the big game.

13. NativeJPR

NativeJPR Rookie

I unfortunately watched every game this past season and I saw NOTHING that would lead me to believe that DC could ever take us to the SB, as a matter of FACT, on more than one occasion I saw him SUCCESSFULLY duck a would be tackler and he STILL went down. Now I have a lot of faith in GK but I'm not sure he or anyone for that matter can get DC back where he can be successful but if that is the path we as a team choose to take I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, but I have my doubts. I'm all for drafting VY and letting him learn his first year then trade DC next year and we start being a serious SB contender after that. IMO:drool:

14. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

What loaded question. One goes to 5 or 6 playoffs and wins the Super Bowl. One goes to 7 or 8 playoffs.

Exchange two playoff appearances for one Super Bowl win?

That's math that really only allows for one answer.

15. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

Word

16. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

I agree. A more difficult decision might be if Carr led the Texans to 2 playoff appearances in the next 10 years and won one Super Bowl while Young led them to 7 playoff appearances and no Super Bowls in the same time span. I'd still go with a Super Bowl win. Everyone remembers the winners, but nobody remembers those that were in the playoffs 6 years ago.

17. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

You play to win the game...in the NFL, that means the SuperBowl, you dont get points for coming close

18. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

SB and Carr. Hands down, no questions asked.

19. Texans>Colts

Texans>Colts Veteran

Since Carr wins a Super Bowl you have to pick him. I don't care if young is better the only thing that matters is winning the Super Bowl

20. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

If everyone agrees that we'll win a SB with Carr, then I don't get what all the arguing is about. :) See, it's all settled now. :)

What the **** are we gonna talk about? idonno:

Seriously though, I agree that Houston needs that SB. We've already had one QB set records for passing yardage all over the place and never win the big one (and a RB with rushing), even though I don't blame him for that problem.