Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What does everyone think of Mercedes Lewis 2nd Round?

O.G.

Waterboy
With the 1st pick in the Second Round and if he is there which I think he will, what does everyone think about Mercedes Lewis with that pick? Weighing in at 6'-6" 256, he didn't have a wonderful 40's time but was outstanding in everything else. I wouldn't mind seeing him here. Give me your take.

battlered said:
i would take him if we trade down to get an lineman in the first round but if we take bush or someone else other than a lineman, i would def have to take a lineman in the second round

I agree.

battlered said:
i would take him if we trade down to get an lineman in the first round
but if we take bush or someone else other than a lineman, i would def have to take a lineman in the second round

Ditto, but if leonard pope were to fall, we take him over lewis...

Lets see who gets cut, the FA market will be flodded with players, If we get a good DE in FA then I like Lewis in the 2nd.

Like stated above, only if we trade down and draft Ferguson do I see us taking Lewis in the second, but yeah I want Pope too.

He ran a ~4.8, not a 4.6.

I'd be very interested in him (assuming that Pope is gone at this point) only if we traded down and picked up D'Brick. We need to go OT in round 1 or 2.

He is my #2 rated TE.

I take him in a heartbeat, assuming a few things:

Ko Simpson did not make it to #33
We take D'brick in the first
We don't sign a FA center, and Mangold is there.

If everything fits, I take him. If we don't take D'brick in the first, we must go OT in the second. If Simpson is there at #33, we take him before Lewis. Same with Mangold.

Jerry said:
He ran a ~4.8, not a 4.6.

I'd be very interested in him (assuming that Pope is gone at this point) only if we traded down and picked up D'Brick. We need to go OT in round 1 or 2.

Yes, Mercedes Lewis ran a slow 4.84. We could probably get him in the 3rd round now.

BMT Texan said:
Dominick bryd would be a better choice IMO

Why?

That notion has to be a joke.

Byrd is always injured, lacks top size, struggles to block well, has a lot of injury problems, and is not that much faster.

Lewis is 6'5ish. He can stretch the field and he can block well. He has a frame to add bulk, and improved a lot as a blocker this year. He will have an immediate impact for some team this year.

Byrd will be lucky if he is 2nd string.

TE in the 3rd if we don't pick one up in FA. If we do pick one up then look to the 5th or 6th for a TE.

1st rd anyones guess
2nd rd OL
3rd DE
3rd OL/WR/RB/QB/ (from this point on gets shady due to FA)
4th DB/S
5th TE or DE
6th DE or TE
7th LB

I think Byrd is climbing though, possibly even eclipsing/tying Lewis as TE #3 in the late-1st/early-2nd position though.

my take on lewis, great hands, supposedly ran slow at the combine? looked like he played pretty fast on the field, not a great blocker though. id take pope with that 1st pick if availabe, if not, maybe pick up a comparable te in the 3rd. :cool:

thetexanator said:
my take on lewis, great hands, supposedly ran slow at the combine? looked like he played pretty fast on the field, not a great blocker though. id take pope with that 1st pick if availabe, if not, maybe pick up a comparable te in the 3rd. :cool:

Who knows Pope might slip. I would be happy with us trading down, getting Julius Peppers Supersized, lol (Mario Williams) and Mercedes Lewis.

Lewis didn't impress me at all when UCLA was at the Sun Bowl. He missed easy passes, looked lanky in blocking and really didn't have the quickness I was expecting. a high 2nd round pick on him is too much in my opinion.

I am in the "WE NEED A GOOD TE" camp.

I would love Davis or Pope but wouldn't complain about Lewis or a nice OT at pick 33 (figuring we pick up Klop@#$ or Byrd at #65). That being said, McClain has said repeatedly that the 2nd pick will be spent on a DE if we don't fill the hole before then.

I would suggest trading #33 and #66 to move up to pick #20 (or 33+97 for #27) to try for Pope. (many mocks have Chic taking him at 26; most mocks have chic taking a TE (Pope), some have Caro taking a TE at 27 (Lewis)).

If we take Bush though, you can almost bet the Texans will get an O-lineman in Round 2. This is one of the best O-line drafts in NFL history.

Back