Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What are you looking for in the second??

What position are you looking for in the second round? What players are you looking for to be there? Enough talk about bush and our first round pick. We need help in the second and third rounds.

my hopes to be there: LB from pen state, ahmad brooks, jason allen, michael huff,

my hopes to be there in the 3rd: manny lawson, elvis dumervile, Luiti, davin joseph...(long shot), charles gorden

this is for the second and third only, and try to explain why you want people there please. it will make for an interesting post if we all show intelligence.

some guys will inevitably fall, some for no apparent reason. Who do you think will fall and have your eye on for our second and 2 third round picks we will actually have this year?

YoungTexanFan said:
What position are you looking for in the second round? What players are you looking for to be there? Enough talk about bush and our first round pick. We need help in the second and third rounds.

my hopes to be there: LB from pen state, ahmad brooks, jason allen, michael huff,

my hopes to be there in the 3rd: manny lawson, elvis dumervile, Luiti, davin joseph...(long shot), charles gorden

this is for the second and third only, and try to explain why you want people there please. it will make for an interesting post if we all show intelligence.

there is a 0% chance Huff and Brooks fall to the second round

I agree with Stevo there.. I see both of them going in the 20-30 range.

Who I want in the second is entirely dependent on who we take in the first though.

OT Jonathen Scott is a promising prospect that could fall. Might make a very good RT for us.

CB Tye Hill also interests me in the second... hes small, but talented. Since he would obviously be our #2 CB, his size may not be too much of an issue.

TE Leonard Pope could be a nice pickup. Hes huge..but im not sure about his receiving skills.

OG Max Jean-Gilles could fall to us... he would be a great pickup to bolster the interior of our Oline.. and would be a great fit at our most needed spot on the oline (imo) Right Guard.

DT Roderique Wright COULD fall to us. If he does I think we need to pounce on him.

those are my picks i guess.

Wouldn't mind getting Leonard Pope, TE out of Georgia in the second. Thats kinda like drafting a lineman. Dude is huge. Still wanna see what his combine and proday #'s are though he looks good on film. Not that I'm actually breaking down film on the guy but rather his games.

In the 3rd I'm crossed. It would be nice to get a solid O-lineman in FA so we can splurge in the 3rd with a big bodied possesion WR or a mean and nasty LB with an attitude.

Don't be surprised if we go CB in the 2nd. After Dunta, we don't have anyone who can cover any body.

I don't care who we get in the first.

My second round pick needs to be an o-lineman.

If we draft a lineman in the first this just gives us MORE depth and talent.

If we don't well let's not freaking wait until the 5th round like we did last year. GET SOME QUALITY!!!!

Third round I want to see a LB or Safety.

I'd even be willing to entertain a trade back into the first round to grab a Huff.

stevo3883 said:
there is a 0% chance Huff and Brooks fall to the second round

huff is less likely to fall, but if brooks declares, he has to prove he is completely ready and then compete with all the other top LB's.

I was more or less looking for a top tier MLB.

My revised list:

2nd: whichever top 5 LB falls to us. ILB or OLB, we need them all.

3rd: i'll stick with lawson, Luiti, and Dumervile

*note: one of the top LB's will fall to us in the second. If we trade down we could be looking at two second round picks, if not one will still be suffice. The beast from penn state (who's name i cant spell and dont have time to look up) shouldnt fall, but he has not been hyped much nationally until his awards this year. Jason Allen could also be a steal for any team in the second.

Working with the assumption that we have taken an OT with the first I would want us to take a TE with the second, Marcedes Lewis or Lenard Pope would work for me. After that it will depend on who we have picked up in FA. If we have grabed a guy like the Saints C/G then pick a defensive guy. If we haven't grabed someone like that then we should go for an interior O-lineman like Jean-Giles if he happens to be there or one similar. Then with the second 3 take the defensive guy. I know a lot folks are looking for some sort of LB, but I would go with a NT as Payne is getting older and gets injured easy. The strength of any club is the lines and I think this would be a prudent move.

The second we should be looking for Davin Joseph or an interior O-Lineman. If we pick up an extra second, we go CB or LB/DE whichever is better at that point. In the third we need to look at safety(Slay will likely fall to the fourth so this could be another OL) and LB/DE whichever we did not pick in the second. We dont need a TE, so that would be a second day pick if I waste one on a TE at all. If David Thomas of UT is around in the 5th maybe I consider it. After that I am going to look for guys like Marcus Maxey or Devin Hester if he comes out.

YoungTexanFan said:
huff is less likely to fall, but if brooks declares, he has to prove he is completely ready and then compete with all the other top LB's.

I was more or less looking for a top tier MLB.

My revised list:

2nd: whichever top 5 LB falls to us. ILB or OLB, we need them all.

3rd: i'll stick with lawson, Luiti, and Dumervile

*note: one of the top LB's will fall to us in the second. If we trade down we could be looking at two second round picks, if not one will still be suffice. The beast from penn state (who's name i cant spell and dont have time to look up) shouldnt fall, but he has not been hyped much nationally until his awards this year. Jason Allen could also be a steal for any team in the second.

brooks athleticism promises him a top 15-20 pick if healthly.

YoungTexanFan said:

I just call him Poz. I think it's Posluszny, though. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes it through round one, though. Certainly possible with all the top flight linebackers this year, but the guy did win the Butkus, so he's hardly low profile for scouts.

trade down from the 4th/5th pick (the Texans will win at least one of the last two games :rolleyes: ) Select the best linemen (defensive-Haloti Ngata http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;...=citadel-2_480930_128&prov=citadel&type=story or offensive D'Brick or Winston) & pick up an extra 2nd. It would be nice to have two #2's, who should become starters next year. Linebacker, CB or Linemen, BPA.

If the Texans go defensive with the 1st rd. pick the 1st pick of the 2nd rd. has to be OT/G, my preference Davin Joseph. with the 2nd pick aquired in the 2nd rd. for trading down Lenard Pope would be great if still there, WR Mike Haas or even another stud linemen.

If the Texans get their OT with the 1st pick, then one of the 2nd rd. picks would have to be on the defensive side, I don't expect Paul Posluszny the Penn State LB to be there but maybe Demarco Ryans he would be a nice MLB for us:twocents:

im looking for dominique byrd in the 3rd, and micheal huff in the 2nd.....assuming we have the 33 pick, i can see him sliding that far

I would like Dumerville in either the second or third, with a LB in the other spot. It depends on how high Dumerville is graded.

rmartin65 said:
I would like Dumerville in either the second or third, with a LB in the other spot. It depends on how high Dumerville is graded.

he shouldnt grade that high, his hype has also died down considerbly. I still want him though. He is a player regardless.

beerlover said:
trade down from the 4th/5th pick (the Texans will win at least one of the last two games :rolleyes: ) Select the best linemen (defensive-Haloti Ngata http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;...=citadel-2_480930_128&prov=citadel&type=story or offensive D'Brick or Winston) & pick up an extra 2nd. It would be nice to have two #2's, who should become starters next year. Linebacker, CB or Linemen, BPA.

If the Texans go defensive with the 1st rd. pick the 1st pick of the 2nd rd. has to be OT/G, my preference Davin Joseph. with the 2nd pick aquired in the 2nd rd. for trading down Lenard Pope would be great if still there, WR Mike Haas or even another stud linemen.

If the Texans get their OT with the 1st pick, then one of the 2nd rd. picks would have to be on the defensive side, I don't expect Paul Posluszny the Penn State LB to be there but maybe Demarco Ryans he would be a nice MLB for us:twocents:

I thought Ryans was a OLB prospect and was considered undersized even for that.

YoungTexanFan said:
I thought Ryans was a OLB prospect and was considered undersized even for that.

OLB's in a 3-4 are like college DE's (which he is not for sure) we need a quick, relentless able to drop into coverage ILB the fact some have him too highly rated just for those same concerns could drop him to the 2nd a good value for the Texans :)

ILB would be DeMeco Ryans position in a 3-4, Kipper has him rated #3 on his top 25 draft board at the moment.

beerlover said:
OLB's in a 3-4 are like college DE's (which he is not for sure) we need a quick, relentless able to drop into coverage ILB the fact some have him too highly rated just for those same concerns could drop him to the 2nd a good value for the Texans :)

ILB would be DeMeco Ryans position in a 3-4, Kipper has him rated #3 on his top 25 draft board at the moment.

He is not a DE, but is a conventional OLB. I just cannot see him adding enough bulk to play the MLB we came to expect w/sharper. Greenwood is awful. Ryans would still play OLB in this system. MLB are supposed to be run stoppers, and he does not posess the size to do that.

YoungTexanFan said:
He is not a DE, but is a conventional OLB. I just cannot see him adding enough bulk to play the MLB we came to expect w/sharper. Greenwood is awful. Ryans would still play OLB in this system. MLB are supposed to be run stoppers, and he does not posess the size to do that.

yeah he is a OLB in College but not the NFL. The ILB's are supposed to be smaller & quicker to take away the underneath while the OLB's push the outside & the massive tackles plug the middle. He would be Greenwoods replacement!

beerlover said:

Why would the Texans need another DT?

beerlover said:
yeah he is a OLB in College but not the NFL. The ILB's are supposed to be smaller & quicker to take away the underneath while the OLB's push the outside & the massive tackles plug the middle. He would be Greenwoods replacement!

as good as our team looks w/out greenwood at MLB, Ryans would be the same type of player at that spot IMO. Brooks, Plozz, and even Hawk, Hodge, and D'quell are the top ILB. Ryans should not play ILB in the pros.

YoungTexanFan said:
as good as our team looks w/out greenwood at MLB, Ryans would be the same type of player at that spot IMO. Brooks, Plozz, and even Hawk, Hodge, and D'quell are the top ILB. Ryans should not play ILB in the pros.

I understand that- ideally Brooks, Plozz, Hawk or Hodge are the top ILB prospects but will they be there in the 2nd rd? Ryans might. why not consider this scenero if he slips to the 2nd rd. & address the Houston Texans horrible run defense with the BPA? Demeco Ryans is a sure tackler, he led a stingy (rated #2 in Total Defense) Alabama with 99 tackles from the OLB position. This adds a young quality defensive prospect with Babin & Peek on the outside and a return of Wong in 06.

beerlover said:
I understand that- ideally Brooks, Plozz, Hawk or Hodge are the top ILB prospects but will they be there in the 2nd rd? Ryans might. why not consider this scenero if he slips to the 2nd rd. & address the Houston Texans horrible run defense with the BPA? Demeco Ryans is a sure tackler, he led a stingy (rated #2 in Total Defense) Alabama with 99 tackles from the OLB position. This adds a young quality defensive prospect with Babin & Peek on the outside and a return of Wong in 06.

He would be an average fit in our current 3-4, and less than that in any other system that will expect him to help stop the run on a consistent basis. He is a sure tackler on the move, coming up fast from the outside. He is also very smart and in no way would i mind having him on our team. I just would rather see him play OLB, his natural position.

Goldeagle said:
Michael Huff or a good OG

I like huff, but I think we do not need an imediate G to come in and start. We need someone with tons of potential but that could still develop. Someone who can be found in later rounds. My pick for Guard replacement is Luiti from USC. The eventual replacment of Weigert.

YoungTexanFan said:
He would be an average fit in our current 3-4, and less than that in any other system that will expect him to help stop the run on a consistent basis. He is a sure tackler on the move, coming up fast from the outside. He is also very smart and in no way would i mind having him on our team. I just would rather see him play OLB, his natural position.

normally I agree with you YoungTexanFan :) but "average fit" & "less than that in any other system" just does not agree with me. So we disagree on where he is projected to star in the NFL, I can live with that but its not accurate to to limit the duties of the ILB position in the 3-4 to strictly run support. there are all types of delayed blitzes and zone coverages which with his skill all would be strengths. bottom line if he fell to the Texans in the second rd. he would be the best second rd. pick in the breif history of the Texans and the defense in 06 would be nowhere as bad as it is now :rofl:

oh and the other 2nd pick I'm still sticking with Davin Joseph. you don't have to wait until the 4th or 5th rd. to draft a potential star lineman you just accerlate it :ok:

YoungTexanFan said:
I like huff, but I think we do not need an imediate G to come in and start. We need someone with tons of potential but that could still develop. Someone who can be found in later rounds. My pick for Guard replacement is Luiti from USC. The eventual replacment of Weigert.

Did you see our interior line today? Up until now I definitely wanted a OT in the 1st round and then either OG/C or CB/S in the 2nd round, but after today's game I think we definitely need to look for a top-end OG in 2nd round. It looks more likely now that we will have the #1 pick so that opens up the trade-down options again, although a win next week over San Francisco would knock us down somewhere between #2-4, which is still very likely to happen.

beerlover said:
oh and the other 2nd pick I'm still sticking with Davin Joseph. you don't have to wait until the 4th or 5th rd. to draft a potential star lineman you just accerlate it :ok:

I agree, we really need a second good OL that can come in and start next year. If we can bring in Hutchinson and/or Bentley in free agency, then we could get Lutui in the later rounds as a future replacement for Wiegert, but if we can't bring in one of those two free agents we have to draft an OG in the 2nd round.

beerlover said:
normally I agree with you YoungTexanFan :) but "average fit" & "less than that in any other system" just does not agree with me. So we disagree on where he is projected to star in the NFL, I can live with that but its not accurate to to limit the duties of the ILB position in the 3-4 to strictly run support. there are all types of delayed blitzes and zone coverages which with his skill all would be strengths. bottom line if he fell to the Texans in the second rd. he would be the best second rd. pick in the breif history of the Texans and the defense in 06 would be nowhere as bad as it is now :rofl:

I agree he will star in the league.

Greenwood is one of those "faster, more athletic" ILB that we have now.

I am so tired of switching people from the position they know best. If they cant play, dont draft them. Dont pick someone so you can change them.

I want a stud ILB, but i could easily live with him.

YoungTexanFan said:
I am so tired of switching people from the position they know best. If they cant play, dont draft them. Dont pick someone so you can change them.

its the nature of the 3-4 beast most College programs don' run it so you have to project to the next level, DE = OLB, OLB = ILB etc....that being said there are always exceptions to the rule.:hmmm:

beerlover said:
its the nature of the 3-4 beast most College programs don' run it so you have to project to the next level, DE = OLB, OLB = ILB etc....that being said there are always exceptions to the rule.:hmmm:

yes, and i see him as an exception. :tv:

Back