Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

We've got Peyton's Number

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
From across the border (you should recognize this by the acceptable [not typos] spellings of defence and offence) comes a quite refressing article on the Texans featuring DeMeco. I learned something that I never knew.......that the Texans can be proud of at least one accomplishment........so to speak, they have had Peyton's number greater than any other team [see bolded statement within the article]

Texans know what's coming from Manning and Indianapolis Colts in opener
By Chris Duncan (CP) – 1 hour ago

HOUSTON - Houston Texans All-Pro middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans likes the challenge of trying to decipher Peyton Manning's frantic calls and signals before every snap.

Ryans knows better than to overanalyze each one when Houston opens its season against Manning and the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday. But if he can pick out one important phrase and relay it to Houston's defence in time to ruin a play, he'll feel like he's earned a minor victory against the four-time league MVP.

"You're always trying to find an edge, always trying to find a key on some type of play, anything you can find," Ryans said. "We're going to play our defence. But if I hear something, I'm definitely going to listen in and see what happens. I'm trying to figure things out. If I can make things easier for my defensive guys, that's to our advantage."

Manning has had his way with the Texans, throwing 37 touchdown passes and only eight interceptions while winning 15 of 16 career meetings. He's completed 71.5 per cent of his passes and built a passer rating over 100.0 in 12 of the games.

Defensive line coach Bill Kollar says there's no point in trying to fool Manning, because he'll always identify a defence's weak points during his famous pre-snap routine. The key, Kollar said, is committing to the coverage plan on each play and sticking with it, regardless of what Manning is barking out.

"The guy is almost like a computer, he knows exactly what you're doing," Kollar said. "You know, he'll be under centre, or maybe go back to shotgun, or he'll be calling out audibles and doing all that.

"We've just got to be ready to do what we're going to do. You can only take care of yourself, really."

Manning will break in a new offensive co-ordinator Sunday. Clyde Christensen moved up from receivers coach to replace Tom Moore, who became a senior offensive assistant.

Ryans, entering his fifth season, isn't expecting any radical changes. The Colts have ranked among the top four teams in scoring in eight of the past 11 seasons and finished among the top six passing offences in 12 straight years.

The Texans can boast one area of success trying to stop the Colts' offence - they've sacked Manning 10 times in their eight games since 2006, the most by any team in that span. Manning was only sacked 10 times last season, and Houston got four of those.

"It's hard to sack him because he gets rid of the ball so well," said defensive end Mario Williams, who led the Texans with nine sacks last season. "His timing with the receivers and everything is just excellent.

"We all have to have the 'want to' to get after it and get him down."

Manning said the Texans also have learned to limit the Colts' big plays. Manning's longest reception against Houston last season was a 31-yarder to Austin Collie.

"In the games we've had against them, we really had to go with long drives," Manning said. "It's just tough to get big plays down the field. The idea is to try to take a three- or four-yard completion or run, and turn it into a 12-yard run. That's how you have to try to create big plays."

The Texans have, however, given up some big performances.

In 2007, Reggie Wayne caught 10 passes for 143 yards in a 38-15 Indy victory. In 2008, Marvin Harrison caught nine passes, including a touchdown, in the Colts' 33-27 win.

When the teams met in Indianapolis last year, Dallas Clark caught 14 passes, the third-highest single-game total by an NFL tight end. Strongside linebacker Xavier Adibi will cover Clark at times on Sunday. Adibi is replacing 2009 defensive rookie of the year Brian Cushing, who's suspended for the first four games for testing positive for a banned substance.

Adibi said the Texans need to keep their defence simple against Manning and his receivers.

"You've just got to read your keys," Adibi said. "If you start getting too greedy, that's when you get sucked in, trying to do too much.

"We've just got to play within our defence, do our jobs and trust each other."

The Texans have blown 17-point leads in the last two games against the Colts in Houston. Ryans said the defence is confident facing Manning, and now just has to learn to play well against him until the final horn.

"We've had them, we've played them tough," Ryans said. "We just have to go out and finish.

"We've led them. We kind of let a couple of bad plays kind of down our demeanour. If we can just stay focused on what we have to do the entire time, we'll be fine."

Copyright © 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Reactions: JB
From across the border (you should recognize this by the acceptable [not typos] spellings of defence and offence) comes a quite refressing article on the Texans featuring DeMeco. I learned something that I never knew.......that the Texans can be proud of at least one accomplishment........so to speak, they have had Peyton's number greater than any other team [see bolded statement within the article]

Or perhaps the author of this article is actually SIAB :hmmm:

After reading this, I think the title may be a little misleading...

I didn't realize peyton's stats were so staggeringly impressive against us.

We may have sacked him the most, but obviously that isn't altering his successfulness against us

We may have sacked him the most, but obviously that isn't altering his successfulness against us

With Manning and crew having been perennial winners in the league for so long, I wonder how many other teams faired the same or worse than we have in many of those stats, especially more recently.

G, it's not about our D v. their O... Manning and company are going to get their's!! What we need to do is, replicate that Ron Dayne 156 yard performance on the ground. That particular day was the only time we beat the Mannings.

*EDIT*

My bad, Dayne rushed for 153.... Total rushing yards for the Texans were 191.

G, it's not about our D v. their O... Manning and company are going to get their's!! What we need to do is, replicate that Ron Dayne 156 yard performance on the ground. That particular day was the only time we beat the Mannings.

Yep, we need long time consuming drives that end in touchdowns. Limit the damage PM can do.

Yep, we need long time consuming drives that end in touchdowns. Limit the damage PM can do.

This is the way it will be done. Gary Kubiak knows that, the whole team knows that, we know that. It shall be done and I'm gonna be there to see it! Can't wait!

In case anyone on D is wondering...his number is 18.

We should lay that guy on his arse over and over again.

That's the number...18. All revolves around him.

That is what i was thinking.....

I want someone to put a helmet between those numbers. They may be banned for life from the NFL for touching his holiness, but I want to see him in a very uncomfortable position. I am tired of his act...you know being Peyton and all world at everything.

I am having some doubts...I guess its just nerves on the eve of my trip up there.

Houston Texans All-Pro middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans likes the challenge of trying to decipher Peyton Manning's frantic calls and signals before every snap.

Ryans knows better than to overanalyze each one when Houston opens its season against Manning and the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday. But if he can pick out one important phrase and relay it to Houston's defence in time to ruin a play, he'll feel like he's earned a minor victory against the four-time league MVP.

"You're always trying to find an edge, always trying to find a key on some type of play, anything you can find," Ryans said. "We're going to play our defence. But if I hear something, I'm definitely going to listen in and see what happens. I'm trying to figure things out. If I can make things easier for my defensive guys, that's to our advantage."

D Training film used this week to prepare for Manning.

M<mmomg ficlomg sicls/ / maning goes doesn down this wereeking. **** the ****ing horseshoes, they can kissmy ass.

after looking at my last post, I realisxe I shoudln't even be posting at this time.

LOL. Ifits ****ing hell to be drunk. LOL

Other than what's bolded, I have no idea what you said, but I think I agree with you. LOL

He said " Manning ****ing sucks. Manning is going down this weekend. **** the ****ing horseshoes, they can kiss my ass!

We be's 1-0 after /sudnay. Manning has q problem and his antics at te line come backto hautn him. Ghosts say, do it or go away. Manning goes away. We kick his silly play line calliong ass.

God, I had watching him. Itls like wathcing a pack of dogs trying to decied to hit your ****ing mailbox. I hate Manning. That boy needs to go do2n.

We be's 1-0 after /sudnay. Manning has q problem and his antics at te line come backto hautn him. Ghosts say, do it or go away. Manning goes away. We kick his silly play line calliong ass.

God, I had watching him. Itls like wathcing a pack of dogs trying to decied to hit your ****ing mailbox. I hate Manning. That boy needs to go do2n.

Damn, Thorn! I hope nobody asks for an interpretation of that one. I understand what you're saying, but thats a long one.

Damn, Thorn! I hope nobody asks for an interpretation of that one. I understand what you're saying, but thats a long one.

Well, it doesn't appear that I'm sobor at this time. What a damnshame. I am so emaabrassed. LOL

Hey JB, what's he saying now? :kitten:

He said " The Texans will be 1-0 after Sunday. Manning has an OL protection problem, and the fake audibles will backfire when Ryans, Pollard & Quinn blast his ass on the blitz. And Mario will eat his lunch. Manning will talk ****, but it is a fail, and he will leave Houston a dejected and beaten miserable punk. He hates watching him, 'cause it's like watching a pack of dogs shittin on each other all over your yard. He hates Manning, and the forehead will be going down!

:tiphat:

Be careful.

Be very, very careful!

exactly. I am not one to emulate. I hate eveyone. that woutwll start with whoever is playing us this weekend, but keep in mind, I hate everyone.

Well, unleesss you have a beer. In which case I shall forgive you. After all, fortivenesss is coo..l.

exactly. I am not one to emulate. I hate eveyone. that woutwll start with whoever is playing us this weekend, but keep in mind, I hate everyone.

Well, unleesss you have a beer. In which case I shall forgive you. After all, fortivenesss is coo..l.

Yes, but forgiveness only lasts until the beer is empty. Then you hate everyone again.

I agree with that program.

Yes, but forgiveness only lasts until the beer is empty. Then you hate everyone again.

I agree with that program.

I am guided by tje aliens from another p'lnet. They say we should all get along. They say we should all love one another. theis is great until I'm out of money, then I hate everyone. LOL

I am guided by tje aliens from another p'lnet. They say we should all get along. They say we should all love one another. theis is great until I'm out of money, then I hate everyone. LOL

Only because you're out of beer....:drunk:

Might I add to the discussion that Manning sucks goat dicks and deserves what he has coming to him.

And we ain't helping him with that sheep getting ove the fence.

With Manning and crew having been perennial winners in the league for so long, I wonder how many other teams faired the same or worse than we have in many of those stats, especially more recently.

I saw a comment by some Cowboy fan on the Chron and the guy said that the Cowboys didn't have any problem with Manning the last time they played, what was OUR problem? So I looked it up and since Manning has been with the Colts, they've played the Cowboys 3 times and the Cowboys are 1-2 against him.

So, just going back to 2002, 13 teams have gotten no wins against the Colts (Cardinals, Rams, Niners, Ravens, Vikings, Browns, Bengals, Lions, Saints, Buccs, Falcons, Raiders, Giants, and Eagles.) The team that's gotten the most chances of that group was the Ravens who are 0-6 against them.

No team has a winning record against them. The best is .500, which is the Chargers (2-2), Seahawks (1-1), Bears (1-1), Packers (1-1), Panthers (1-1), Chiefs (1-1), Redskins (1-1) and Cowboys (1-1). The teams with the most wins are of course the Jaguars (4-12) and the Titans (4-12).

In the Kubiak era, the Jags are 2-6 and the Titans are 3-5. The Cowboys, Packers, and Bears are 1-0 and obviously, the only teams with winning records. 21 teams have 0 victories.

I saw a comment by some Cowboy fan on the Chron and the guy said that the Cowboys didn't have any problem with Manning the last time they played, what was OUR problem? So I looked it up and since Manning has been with the Colts, they've played the Cowboys 3 times and the Cowboys are 1-2 against him.

So, just going back to 2002, 13 teams have gotten no wins against the Colts (Cardinals, Rams, Niners, Ravens, Vikings, Browns, Bengals, Lions, Saints, Buccs, Falcons, Raiders, Giants, and Eagles.) The team that's gotten the most chances of that group was the Ravens who are 0-6 against them.

No team has a winning record against them. The best is .500, which is the Chargers (2-2), Seahawks (1-1), Bears (1-1), Packers (1-1), Panthers (1-1), Chiefs (1-1), Redskins (1-1) and Cowboys (1-1). The teams with the most wins are of course the Jaguars (4-12) and the Titans (4-12).

In the Kubiak era, the Jags are 2-6 and the Titans are 3-5. The Cowboys, Packers, and Bears are 1-0 and obviously, the only teams with winning records. 21 teams have 0 victories.

Thank you for validating what my impressions were already.

Must spread the rep.

So out of the 8 years we've played in the AFCS the other two teams have only 2 more wins a piece against the Colts than we do.

Back