Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston Kamari Lassiter

Interesting philosophy they’ve gone after in this draft, and it’s reflected in who they’ve picked in FA, also.

They like tweeners who can have positional flexibility, Lassiter and option to play outside/inside, possibly also a fit at Safety, the safety they picked up later is another guy who can drop down into nickel, the developmental and ST LB they picked much later on also a converted safety, small LB/‘big nickel’ type. Reflects what they are doing with DT/DE’s on the line in FA, T2 who they took last year also undersized for the LB position, Jimmy Ward another who’s switch positions between corner and safety,

Whilst they have enough quality options battling it out for these positions in camp now, I have some reservation whether they have a quality #2 outside CB for the roster, something that only worsens at the thought of Stingley missing any time. That isn’t to disparage the Lassiter pick itself at all, you need a great nickel CB in the modern NFL, it’s practically a starting position nowadays, if you’ve got yourself a quality one in round 2 then that’s great.

Interesting philosophy they’ve gone after in this draft, and it’s reflected in who they’ve picked in FA, also.

They like tweeners who can have positional flexibility, Lassiter and option to play outside/inside, possibly also a fit at Safety, the safety they picked up later is another guy who can drop down into nickel, the developmental and ST LB they picked much later on also a converted safety, small LB/‘big nickel’ type. Reflects what they are doing with DT/DE’s on the line in FA, T2 who they took last year also undersized for the LB position, Jimmy Ward another who’s switch positions between corner and safety,

Whilst they have enough quality options battling it out for these positions in camp now, I have some reservation whether they have a quality #2 outside CB for the roster, something that only worsens at the thought of Stingley missing any time. That isn’t to disparage the Lassiter pick itself at all, you need a great nickel CB in the modern NFL, it’s practically a starting position nowadays, if you’ve got yourself a quality one in round 2 then that’s great.
I think whoever wins the CB2 spot among Lassiter, Okudah, and Henderson will be good. I'd bet Lassiter will have the inside track. King or Bryant will be good holding down the Nickel.

I can see them cycling Hill into some obvious passing situations as a LB. His coverage skills are supposed to be pretty good.

Yeah I remember there was a lot of hoopla about Kareem’s slow 40 time at the combine too. He had a rough start to his career but overall it worked out. Contrary to what everyone says, you CAN teach and improve your long speed.
Or move a guy that lacks long speed into the slot. I guess this comes down to how much they value a top notch slot CB. It was a weakness last year.

Or move a guy that lacks long speed into the slot. I guess this comes down to how much they value a top notch slot CB. It was a weakness last year.

If teams feel like they have an advantage, offenses have advanced enough to where they can get their #1 on a slot corner. That's why it doesn't matter where he plays. Furthermore, Sauce Gardner isn't a speedy guy...neither was Richard Sherman & they were/are just fine as boundary corners. Technique & short area quickness can make up for any small deficits in long speed. Lassiter's speed deficit relative to his WR counterparts is mostly pretty small. The guys where its sizeable...the Tyreke Hill's of the world, they give every CB problems.

If teams feel like they have an advantage, offenses have advanced enough to where they can get their #1 on a slot corner. That's why it doesn't matter where he plays. Furthermore, Sauce Gardner isn't a speedy guy...neither was Richard Sherman & they were/are just fine as boundary corners. Technique & short area quickness can make up for any small deficits in long speed. Lassiter's speed deficit relative to his WR counterparts is mostly pretty small. The guys where its sizeable...the Tyreke Hill's of the world, they give every CB problems.
Seems like there's less area to cover in the slot and short area quickness is more valuable than long speed.

Seems like there's less area to cover in the slot and short area quickness is more valuable than long speed.

its actually the opposite. Slot WR's tend to have 2 way releases much easier than if they are out on the boundary where the sideline sort of limits them. As such, it is much more difficult for CB's to cover in the slot b/c they don't have the sideline as an extra defender so to speak. traditionally, offenses reserved that for the Wes Welker's of the world...3rd string WR's who had flaws with speed or height but could still be of value in the short game. and defenses would just match up with their 3rd cbs...also with flaws with speed and other issues. But with the evolution of offenses and the Y-flex TE's becoming more prominent, the slot is arguably the most difficult CB position to play. Height and weight differences, speed differences.....the nfl is about match ups these days.

Lassiter likes physicality and is a sure tackler. I like his ability to accelerate and change direction quickly which should make him a good slot corner even though he played outside at Georgia. The few times I watched him he seemed kind of grabby to me, which is more concerning than his recovery speed or lack thereof. One thing I keep seeing about him in reports is that he has a high football IQ and that is definitely a positive attribute.
I had the same reaction, "grabby", but I hope they can coach that out of him. The high football IQ should help.

I was listening to some podcasts reviewing the position groups before the "draft process" started; and something that stood out was that a bunch of people did not have a true CB1 in the class at all. The put him on an island type

Also I imagine the pass D scheme this year is going to be way more deceptive than it was last year, which explains the amount of position flexibilty we've seen brought into the team

I was listening to some podcasts reviewing the position groups before the "draft process" started; and something that stood out was that a bunch of people did not have a true CB1 in the class at all. The put him on an island type

Also I imagine the pass D scheme this year is going to be way more deceptive than it was last year, which explains the amount of position flexibilty we've seen brought into the team
Mitchell is on an island type guy.

Nobody was saying that before the Senior Bowl/Combine. He may be, but that opinion was based on what he did in the process not at Toledo St.
They didn't use him that way at Toledo. When they did occasionally used him that way he was successful. The question was going into the Senior Bowl could he be a man coverage guy against a better level of competition. He passed that test with flying colors.

With the rules the way they are and the sophistication of modern offenses no one in the NFL plays 'on an island' consistently anymore.

With the rules the way they are and the sophistication of modern offenses no one in the NFL plays 'on an island' consistently anymore.
I know but the term is still used to describe a CB you feel comfortable putting on the opposing WR1 usually without safety help

Doesn’t mean you’re going to do it all game, or even the majority of the snaps; but if it happened you wouldn’t feel bad about it.

They didn't use him that way at Toledo. When they did occasionally used him that way he was successful. The question was going into the Senior Bowl could he be a man coverage guy against a better level of competition. He passed that test with flying colors.
At the Senior Bowl he did it against better competition certainly, but not the best competition.

Let me put it another way, how would you have ranked the following as prospects: Sauce, Stingley, Devon Witherspoon and Mitchell?

Not trying to put down anyone, just an observation that this CB class, as a whole, had a huge rise during the draft process. And maybe it started to get over-valued and over-hyped as a result.

Them guys were 6'3 , 6'4. Sauce ran a 4.4 didn't he? I do agree about searching cbs. Its hard to defend that much field inside

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

its actually the opposite. Slot WR's tend to have 2 way releases much easier than if they are out on the boundary where the sideline sort of limits them. As such, it is much more difficult for CB's to cover in the slot b/c they don't have the sideline as an extra defender so to speak. traditionally, offenses reserved that for the Wes Welker's of the world...3rd string WR's who had flaws with speed or height but could still be of value in the short game. and defenses would just match up with their 3rd cbs...also with flaws with speed and other issues. But with the evolution of offenses and the Y-flex TE's becoming more prominent, the slot is arguably the most difficult CB position to play. Height and weight differences, speed differences.....the nfl is about match ups these days.
Yep. Teams are compressing sets alot more now too. Teams aren't using traditional smallish, wrs as slots. Teams are moving Lamb, Jefferson, Kupp, and dudes like that inside. I mean if the Texans 1s played vs each other, Lassiter is guarding who?

Them guys were 6'3 , 6'4. Sauce ran a 4.4 didn't he? I do agree about searching cbs. Its hard to defend that much field inside

He did, but it’s a mirage..he doesn’t really have that long speed. His thing is length.. and he’s grabby. he stays getting beat off the LOS, but b/c his arms are so long and he’s constantly grabbing the speed advantage WR’s have gets nullified.

Tho he wasn’t as grabby, it’s essentially the Same thing for Sherman..both are just have long arms.

Yep. Teams are compressing sets alot more now too. Teams aren't using traditional smallish, wrs as slots. Teams are moving Lamb, Jefferson, Kupp, and dudes like that inside. I mean if the Texans 1s played vs each other, Lassiter is guarding who?

Dell in base….in nickel he’s probably got Metchie in the slot..

At the Senior Bowl he did it against better competition certainly, but not the best competition.

Let me put it another way, how would you have ranked the following as prospects: Sauce, Stingley, Devon Witherspoon and Mitchell?

Not trying to put down anyone, just an observation that this CB class, as a whole, had a huge rise during the draft process. And maybe it started to get over-valued and over-hyped as a result.
I would put Mitchell ahead of Witherspoon and possibly Stingley, depending on Stingley's health. With a chance to be better than Sauce. If healthy Stingley's the CB1 out of this list.

KJ seemed to play the slot well for many yrs and he ran about as well as Lassiter back in the day. Wade helped save KJ's career.

He did, but it’s a mirage..he doesn’t really have that long speed. His thing is length.. and he’s grabby. he stays getting beat off the LOS, but b/c his arms are so long and he’s constantly grabbing the speed advantage WR’s have gets nullified.

Tho he wasn’t as grabby, it’s essentially the Same thing for Sherman..both are just have long arms.
I didn't think about Sherman.

I trust Ryans has a plan for exactly how he wants to use Lassiter.

KJ seemed to play the slot well for many yrs and he ran about as well as Lassiter back in the day. Wade helped save KJ's career.
KJ was a completion waiting to happen. Not to mention that was also before teams really started putting their best wrs in the slot. That's why he played better at safety.

KJ was a completion waiting to happen. Not to mention that was also before teams really started putting their best wrs in the slot. That's why he played better at safety.

Not after Wade moved KJ to the slot.

I think KJ is s decent comparison, but I do think Lassiter is a better corner. Also, the situations they are coming into aren't the same. KJ was asked to play a lot of man coverage. Lassiter, in Demeco's defense, will be playing a lot of Zone. Also, Demeco doesn't blitz a high amount leaving his DB's on an island....instead he prefers to have an elite 4 man rush to get pressure. He won't be left on an island much whether he's inside or outside.

I don't think he's going to be following any particular players or strictly playing against the slot. But even if he does play in the slot, it's not like he's going to be in man coverage a lot and have to run with guys wherever they go.

Lassiter came from a college defense that played a lot of zone as well. I don't think that's a coincidence. Texans will play him in a way where he's not having to turn and run with guys much and instead can play with the action in front of him where he can react and come down hill to make plays.

I'm pretty sure Demeco is aware of Lassiter's game and will deploy him accordingly.

Last edited:
I think KJ is s decent comparison, but I do think Lassiter is a better corner. Also, the situations they are coming into aren't the same. KJ was asked to play a lot of man coverage. Lassiter, in Demeco's defense, will be playing a lot of Zone. Also, Demeco doesn't blitz a high amount leaving his DB's on an island....instead he prefers to have an elite 4 man rush to get pressure. He won't be left on an island much whether he's inside or outside.

I don't think he's going to be following any particular players or strictly playing against the slot. But even if he does play in the slot, it's not like he's going to be in man coverage a lot and have to run with guys wherever they go.

Lassiter came from a college defense that played a lot of zone as well. I don't think that's a coincidence. Texans will play him in a way where he's not having to turn and run with guys much and instead can play with the action in front of him where he can react and come down hill to make plays.

I'm pretty sure Demeco is aware of Lassiter's game and will deploy him accordingly.
That is true. That cover 3 works with consistent pressure up front, but at some point teams can make you come out of that. That's why I like the playoff game when Stingley followed Cooper. In the super bowl, we saw KC hit those pockets. I think Okudah and Henderson are man CB's.

You also have teams like the Jags who use guys like Christian Kirk as essentially a "vertical slot receiver". Put them in the slot to avoid getting pressed at the line but have them running vertical route trees.

I think you're going to see some different defense this season as compared to last.

There's a reason we just signed press man corners like Okudah and Henderson while letting the off cover corner walk.

Lassiter looks to be more than capable of playing press man as well.

Overall I hope they let Lassiter compete for the outside corner spot first rather than immediately shuttling him inside.

I prefer the "make them prove they can't do it" approach especially with high end picks/prospects.

I think you're going to see some different defense this season as compared to last.

There's a reason we just signed press man corners like Okudah and Henderson while letting the off cover corner walk.

Lassiter looks to be more than capable of playing press man as well.

Even when Demeco was with San Fran he called the defense similarly ie preferring not to blitz much and employing a lot of zone.

Usually coordinators stick to what they're comfortable with. I doubt he all of a sudden starts running a bunch of man coverage but we shall see.

Heres an article that explains some of Demeco's tendencies in regards to the guy who took over for him as DC in SF:

Even when Demeco was with San Fran he called the defense similarly ie preferring not to blitz much and employing a lot of zone.

Usually coordinators stick to what they're comfortable with. I doubt he all of a sudden starts running a bunch of man coverage but we shall see.

Heres an article that explains some of Demeco's tendencies in regards to the guy who took over for him as DC in SF:

Things can change over time.

Guys like Shanahan and McVay are famous for outside zone and now they run power/gap.

Nico, Dell, and Diggs on the field in 11 personnel, who Lassiter guarding?

Still Dell. Nico would just bully him imo, Diggs is too savy as a veteran WR..Dell is fast but that would only come into play if the qb gets to sit back in the pocket and have a picnic.

See that the thing with long speed. It only really comes into play when the qb has time to let things develop down field. Short area quickness tends to matter more..& Lassiter is elite there so he’s be fine matching up with Dell..someone he matches up well with.

It would make me very happy if he could step up and play CB2 instead of being forced inside. Will be something I’m very interested to see come training camp and preseason

Still Dell. Nico would just bully him imo, Diggs is too savy as a veteran WR..Dell is fast but that would only come into play if the qb gets to sit back in the pocket and have a picnic.

See that the thing with long speed. It only really comes into play when the qb has time to let things develop down field. Short area quickness tends to matter more..& Lassiter is elite there so he’s be fine matching up with Dell..someone he matches up well with.
I doubt Collins would be able to bully him.

Lassiter is a very physical CB.

Agreed, but when there is a need to play man they have the talent to play it. This doesn't mean the Texans will become a man defense. They will play probably 75-80% zone. Lassiter is a good zone CB, with the ability to play some man.

Back