Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston CJ Stroud

We're seeing QB play like we never have before with the Texans. CJ has a way better arm than Schaub and operates from the pocket better than Watson ever did. You'd have to go back to Warren Moon and the Oilers to see a QB play at this level.
I'll eat my crow for not wanting CJ because he went to Ohio State.

We're seeing QB play like we never have before with the Texans. CJ has a way better arm than Schaub and operates from the pocket better than Watson ever did. You'd have to go back to Warren Moon and the Oilers to see a QB play at this level.

Try the spicy crow burger at jack in the box. I'm gonna end up with several it seems. :lol:

i

S2 processing? Stroud looks like he has such a great understanding of how the play is unfolding before him that he doesn’t have anything to really process.

His ability to move the ball to his hot receiver in the face of pressure is negating the pressure completely. And then he’s performing unbelievably well once he’s established a clean pocket.

Great to see him adding the confidence to take yardage with his legs this week as well as seeing the O establish a run game. Sky is the limit.

As the saying goes, "scout the player not the helmet"

CJ Stroud >> DeShaun Watson as a rookie.

First 8 quarters = 11 sacks

Last 8 quarters = 0 sacks

Still 0 interceptions

Kudos to CJ, Slowik, Strausser, and the guys they pulled up out of the cheap seats that are playing oline.
The fact he doesn't hold the ball for eight hours trying to be a hero and then blame his o-line has been a massive plus for CJ when compared to the predator.

As the saying goes, "scout the player not the helmet"
Seems true in this case. I was comparing the stats that Fields put up in college and placing that comparison on Stroud. The fact that Ohio State has never produced a QB with NFL stats made the comparison easy to not want Stroud. As soon as he was drafted, though, I was on the bandwagon, rooting for him.

Still 0 interceptions

Kudos to CJ, Slowik, Strausser, and the guys they pulled up out of the cheap seats that are playing oline.
The strides that the entire team has made each week has been amazing.
CJ is on pace to absolutely shatter the NFL record for QB passing yards. Luck has the record with 4,374 yards. Stroud is on pace for 5,151 yards with 25 TDS and 0 interceptions.
Slowik called a brilliant game today that gives me hope for this season and hoping he doesn't get a HC gig in the near future.
Strausser and God must be mates, because the OL has pulled off some miracles the last 2 games.
Ryans is doing exactly what I expected him to do. The run D needs work, but if the offense keeps scoring ~30 ppg and the defense keeps teams at <20 ppg, the Texans will be fine.
I think the Texans have gone from rebuilding to just needing to reload at a few positions (cough cough OL DL cough cough)

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that CJ has to do a lot of adjustment with the ball after the snap?? I wonder if he doesnt like the way the ball is being delivered...as in too much spin, not enough spin, but after the snap he has to readjust the ball in his hand and its shaving time off his release and quick throws...like it almost throws the timing off on some plays..

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that CJ has to do a lot of adjustment with the ball after the snap?? I wonder if he doesnt like the way the ball is being delivered...as in too much spin, not enough spin, but after the snap he has to readjust the ball in his hand and its shaving time off his release and quick throws...like it almost throws the timing off on some plays..
While I’m not claiming to “know,” I think it’s just him trying to find the laces when the ball is delivered laces down. He doesn’t always do that, which leads me to believe that’s what it is.

Today is a trap day for CJ. The media was mostly ignoring him after the first two games, and now he seems to get hyped up by most outlets. This could very well be a game, after which most outlets come down on him again.

Our O-line is even worse than before, when we were “only“ missing 4 starters. And Pittsburgh has maybe the best defense we have seen all year, at the very least the best pass rusher. And while CJs 0 interception have been highlighted, he easily had 3 or 4 passes that could have and should have been intercepted, so him throwing one or two today wouldn‘t be unexpected. So today could be a bad game for CJ - it shouldn‘t change the story too much, but after the media “overpraising“ him, this could go into the opposite direction pretty fast.
Didn’t look like a trap game to me today. Lol

From the NFL site:

NFL Research: C.J. Stroud posted his third consecutive game with 250-plus passing yards, two-plus passing touchdowns and zero interceptions, the longest such streak by any rookie since at least 1970. He also became the first player in NFL history with 1,200-plus passing yards and zero interceptions over his first four career games.

S2 processing? Stroud looks like he has such a great understanding of how the play is unfolding before him that he doesn’t have anything to really process.

His ability to move the ball to his hot receiver in the face of pressure is negating the pressure completely. And then he’s performing unbelievably well once he’s established a clean pocket.

Great to see him adding the confidence to take yardage with his legs this week as well as seeing the O establish a run game. Sky is the limit.
I love listening to CJ‘s interviews. He remembers everything in every play. It got me wondering about this S2 thing. If it’s focus is to measure processing in immediate conditions it says nothing about what has already been unfolded and stored in memory. A player with an acute memory and ability to learn from and recall that memory would seem to be just as effective using this other resource in real time conditions. It’s like a rock climber sitting with eyes closed and going through the motions of making a difficult climb from memory. In real time the climb would flow from that memory subconsciously as would a passing attempt. If so then the S2 may have limitations.

I love listening to CJ‘s interviews. He remembers everything in every play. It got me wondering about this S2 thing. If it’s focus is to measure processing in immediate conditions it says nothing about what has already been unfolded and stored in memory. A player with an acute memory and ability to learn from and recall that memory would seem to be just as effective using this other resource in real time conditions. It’s like a rock climber sitting with eyes closed and going through the motions of making a difficult climb from memory. In real time the climb would flow from that memory subconsciously as would a passing attempt. If so then the S2 may have limitations.

Uhhhh yep

images

The Derrick thing is the best thing that could have ever happened to the Texans in pursuit of a championship.

Didn’t look like a trap game to me today. Lol

When this is what a down game looks like for him, I take it. His completion percentage was bad and he missed some key throws on third and fourth down. And he had another throw that should have been intercepted.

But overall he looked really good again

Exactly how do you measure that -

“I think it started all the way back from my [top] 30 visit when I came and sat right in this area, and I poured my heart out to the coaches,” Stroud said Sunday. “They poured their hearts out to me, let me know what they wanted from a quarterback … and I gave them what I felt I was. Every day I feel like God has given me the ability to show up with that mentality and attitude every day. So it’s been a blessing. I think it’s really cool when you see your work pay off a little bit, but for me it’s just the beginning.”

I had forgotten this pre-draft quote:

“Stroud scored 18. That is like red alert, red alert, you can’t take a guy like that. That is why I have Stroud as a bust. That in conjunction with the fact, name one Ohio State quarterback that’s ever done it in the league.”

Red Alert, red alert! That's what the Steelers defenders were screaming during yesterday's game.

gvdgdlmjgg8uk90w1twy.jpg

Still 0 interceptions

He's been better period. With DW4 it was just about playmaking; run or pass. This kid seems to know how to operate from the pocket at a high level already...which is something that you have to know how to do to have long term success in this league & something that you questioned with DW4 at times.

Beat me to this. Was just about to post this.
Four games into the NFL season, C.J. Stroud’s draft assessment of himself has been the only thing more accurate than his completion percentage, more unblemished than his touchdown-to-interception ratio, and more impressive than the Houston Texans’ sudden resurrection in the AFC South.

“I’m not a test-taker. I play football.”

Those were Stroud’s own words in the week leading up to last April’s NFL Draft, just days after his allegedly poor results in an S2 cognition test ran rampant through front offices across the league. Meant to speak as a measure of a player’s reactivity in different learning landscapes — as well as their ability to process and improvise — Stroud reportedly scored a distant third among the draft’s “big three” quarterbacks who were expected to be top-five picks, which also included Alabama’s Bryce Young and Florida’s Anthony Richardson.

Their alleged percentile scores from highest to lowest, according to sources who spoke to Bob McGinn of GoLongTD.com: Young at 98 percent; Richardson at 79 percent and Stroud at 18 percent. Not a single evaluator with knowledge of the S2 scores denied those numbers to Yahoo Sports — and a handful confirmed that was the order of the stack, with Young scoring highest, Richardson second and Stroud trailing in a manner that raised eyebrows.

In hindsight, that’s quite the remarkable stack. And if you turn it upside down, you could very easily argue that’s the current performance ranking of the trio of rookie quarterbacks through four games of the NFL season — with Stroud leading the pack, Richardson running a strong second and Young in a distant third. In the NFL, the test-taking is what you produce on the field, and the guy in the 98th percentile is playing in Houston.

Who here is ready to trade Stroud for one of these HOF QBs coming out in next years draft?

It's only 4 games, but it looks like I may have missed on this one. The future is bright. Remember when I said after trading Derrick the future was bright and that it would take a couple of yrs to draft some star level players. That's exactly what is happening. Despite Lovie derailing part of that with Stingley over Sauce pick and Lovie intentionally trying to sabotage the the Colts game.

Collins looks like a WR1 so the Mills draft was a success, finding a WR1 in the 3rd rd is money in the bank.

Last edited:
Back