Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston CJ Stroud

C.J. obviously loves money 1st and foremost or DM wouldn't be his agent.

You can love getting paid and still be great. Peyton Manning never discounted his services.

I don't blame any of these kids for maximizing their value from a multi-billion dollar entertainment company. There is nothing inherently noble about being an entertainer.

Watson wanted out because of his personal life. He thought he could outrun it. His agent was just doing what his client told him to do.

You can love getting paid and still be great. Peyton Manning never discounted his services.

I don't blame any of these kids for maximizing their value from a multi-billion dollar entertainment company. There is nothing inherently noble about being an entertainer.

Watson wanted out because of his personal life. He thought he could outrun it. His agent was just doing what his client told him to do.

Christ almighty, we can't have anybody making sense here, it'd ruin the board.

Steelb wants the Texans to tank and draft a QB next year (specifically Caleb Williams).

However, he refuses to see that there's no scenario in which that will happen.
The Texans had already tanked two consecutive seasons, and with a revamped roster (let's say without Stroud, but with two other draft picks at no. 12 and 33), there's no way the Texans can end up at the bottom again.

There will be teams that race for the bottom (the Cards with Kyler Murray ailing), the Buccs without a QB, the Commanders and the Falcons in the same boat.

One of these teams will take the QB that he covets.

(But I don't see Caleb Williams as a better prospect than either Young or Stroud).
Also, the funny thing is that Caleb's playing style is similar to Watson (we call it Hero Ball around here), which Steelb hates.

But he hates Bryce Young for his size/frame and Stroud partially because of his agent; he's willing to overlook Caleb's playing style for now.

Yeah. Wanting a small QB from a gimmick system, from a school with a long history of busts, makes little sense. If they wanted to tank, they should have kept Lovie. You don't bring in a hot new coach, tell him he can't take the QB he wants, and that he has to destroy his career to maybe get the chance to draft a particular guy next year.

If Williams is the next Andrew Luck, you would need to get the No. 1 pick to get him, no one is trading out of that spot if he is that much of a can't-miss QB prospect.

I haven't read that.

It's weird that you haven't read it considering that Stroud made the comment in the same interview that he cited Vick and Watson as inspirations for similar style of play (not his idols or guys he hangs out with).

Actually he made the statement not only in the same interview, it was in the same sentence and possibly even the same breath.

It's weird that you haven't read it considering that Stroud made the comment in the same interview that he cited Vick and Watson as inspirations for similar style of play (not his idols or guys he hangs out with).

Actually he made the statement not only in the same interview, it was in the same sentence and possibly even the same breath.

Don’t let reality get in the way of a good narrative.

That's because I was probably trying to get over throwing up in my mouth at the time.

That's because I was probably trying to get over throwing up in my mouth at the time.

You realize, Michael's Vick's rookie year was the same year CJ Stroud was born.
So he grew up as a child, inspired by a black QB and that QB's style of play and wanted to emulate it.
Stroud was a literal child when he started looking up to Vick for his style of play and wanting to have a similar style of play.

Your whole argument that he idolized these guys for anything other than how they played is just flat wrong.

Everything you need to know is in this 10 or so second video.

If you can watch this and still keep pushing your narrative, honestly I don't know what to say.

So he grew up as a child, inspired by a black QB and that QB's style of play and wanted to emulate it.
Stroud was a literal child when he started looking up to Vick for his style of play and wanting to have a similar style of play.

Your whole argument that he idolized these guys for anything other than how they played is just flat wrong.

If you can watch this and still keep pushing your narrative, honestly I don't know what to say.

Good for him

The words I look up to a dog fighter and a serial predator should never cross a mans lips even if he's talking about football. Frankly, now we can see why he scored so badly on those tests.

Maybe you should watch the video, for context and to see how Burrow was mentioned as well?

Have you ever watched the interview, or only headlines quoting CJ Stroud looks up to Michael Vick?

I just got through watching the video before I made that post.

I'll stand behind my post.

I just got through watching the video before I made that post.

I'll stand behind my post.

I never doubted you'd stand behind your post. I'd have bet a paycheck on that.

But if you can watch that video, and think a 21 year old kid is a POS because of two guys that he emulated style wise, I think you need to take a good look inside. Because that opinion is way more about you than it is about him. IMO.

I never doubted you'd stand behind your post. I'd have bet a paycheck on that.

But if you can watch that video, and think a 21 year old kid is a POS because of two guys that he emulated style wise, I think you need to take a good look inside. Because that opinion is way more about you than it is about him. IMO.

I'm fine with myself.

Never should a guy even bring up Vick and Derrick in a press conference and it really speaks for itself why he doesn't test well. No awareness, which is what the S-2 is all about.

We've had exactly two QB's on this team worth a damn.

Schaub was a pro's pro. He was pretty limited athletically with a very average arm, but I give Kubiak a ton of credit for molding an offense around him to best suit his skillset, and Matt worked damn hard to get every ounce that he could give.

Watson is an enigma and always will be. He literally had the world in his hands. They sat him on the bench for roughly 4 games in his rookie year. They bring him out of mothballs against Cincinnati, and while it was very rough around the edges in the passing game, you could see the athletism, high-level processing, and the eyes in the back of the head Houdini act immediately. From there, he steadily improved in the pass game and many of us finally thought here's our franchise QB. The rest is history.

The rest of the story of this franchise is various levels of poor QB play.

There's a point in here somewhere. Oh right lol. This fanbase and the members of this board have scorched every single one of these QB's. Hell, Schaub took his turn too, as did Watson. Watson wasn't accurate enough, and played too much "hero ball". Schaub had a wet noodle for an arm. He always underthrows AJ on those deep shots. Carr caught hell from this board. To this day, it's considered a bad omen to even say his name. Osweiler was called Assweiler, and that was on a good day when he wasn't being lit up like a Christmas tree around here.

So, my question is...what makes Mills different? Why the kid gloves with Mills? Some folks on this board appear to take it as a personal affront that he's not being given some sort of mad respect and a 3rd chance to prove he can be a quality starter. There's an entire thread on that subject. Where was the Osweiler respect thread or the Carr respect thread?

In short....I don't get it. Davis is a nice kid, and has a few decent individual traits but I think if his trajectory was even simply a "decent starter" I'm pretty sure we'd have seen those signs by now. It's not about any treatment or some personal dig at the young man. It's about wanting this team to be the best it can possibly be.

For better or for worse, CJ is now leading this club for the foreseeable future. This isn't directed at any one person but to me life's way too short to ***** and moan over a QB selection. If you see bust - fine by me. State your case as to why with facts. CJ is subject to critical analysis like anyone. I love talking about football and learning from you guys and getting other POV's. But being a petty, whiny, troll? Eh, go for it if that's your bag. But I'm pretty much done taking the bait with that angle. I'd rather talk real ball with all of you guys and gals. That's what I am here for. Just saying something to get a rise out of people. Screw that. Like I said - this isn't one person. Hell, I've been guilty a time or three. Let's ALL try to be better. I think that will make this board a better place to learn and have fun. And with that, I'm done with this conversation.

???
Watson came in in the 1st game and started every game until he blew out his knee.

Yeah, that Cincy game was the second game of the season AND it was on a Thursday night, so they didn't even have a chance to really install a new offense for him. They had to basically go with what they'd set up for Savage for Game 1 with some tweaks.

And in that Cincy game, he relied on his legs and I had doubts he was going to be able to step up.

Then the Patriot game happened and it was like WTF. He can play. But everyone said we lost and that the Titan defense was going to devour him whole because the Patriot D was suspect.

Which led to that GLORIOUS 57-14 shellacking of the Titans.

Oh.

That was SO good.

???
Watson came in in the 1st game and started every game until he blew out his knee.

I'm getting old Speedy! Is that a good excuse lol. For some reason, my recollection was he came in around 3rd or 4th game, but game logs prove I'm wrong. Ok, that's the first time! But thanks for the reminder.

Looking at the old game logs made me remember. He looked a bit lost in game one against Jax. Only threw for about 100 yards. A rookie playing game 1.1. Kind of expected. Then he had a short week to prepare for Cincy on a Thursday. The passing game was very iffy again with 125 yards passing, but he had a breakout run for a TD in that game, and you could really see the magic. Then, he had about 10 days to prepare for NE. That's when the lightbulb went off for him in the passing game. He was 22 for 33 for 301 yards. That's when I knew we had something, and from then on he was dynamic.

I'm getting old Speedy! Is that a good excuse lol. For some reason, my recollection was he came in around 3rd or 4th game, but game logs prove I'm wrong. Ok, that's the first time! But thanks for the reminder.

Looking at the old game logs made me remember. He looked a bit lost in game one against Jax. Only threw for about 100 yards. A rookie playing game 1.1. Kind of expected. Then he had a short week to prepare for Cincy on a Thursday. The passing game was very iffy again with 125 yards passing, but he had a breakout run for a TD in that game, and you could really see the magic. Then, he had about 10 days to prepare for NE. That's when the lightbulb went off for him in the passing game. He was 22 for 33 for 301 yards. That's when I knew we had something, and from then on he was dynamic.
Getting old is a great excuse. Use it quite a bit myself.

Reactions: JB
Yeah. Wanting a small QB from a gimmick system, from a school with a long history of busts, makes little sense. If they wanted to tank, they should have kept Lovie. You don't bring in a hot new coach, tell him he can't take the QB he wants, and that he has to destroy his career to maybe get the chance to draft a particular guy next year.

If Williams is the next Andrew Luck, you would need to get the No. 1 pick to get him, no one is trading out of that spot if he is that much of a can't-miss QB prospect.
Say it louder for the people in the back

I said the same thing, it doesn't matter.

We've had exactly two QB's on this team worth a damn.

Schaub was a pro's pro. He was pretty limited athletically with a very average arm, but I give Kubiak a ton of credit for molding an offense around him to best suit his skillset, and Matt worked damn hard to get every ounce that he could give.

Watson is an enigma and always will be. He literally had the world in his hands. They sat him on the bench for roughly 4 games in his rookie year. They bring him out of mothballs against Cincinnati, and while it was very rough around the edges in the passing game, you could see the athletism, high-level processing, and the eyes in the back of the head Houdini act immediately. From there, he steadily improved in the pass game and many of us finally thought here's our franchise QB. The rest is history.

The rest of the story of this franchise is various levels of poor QB play.

There's a point in here somewhere. Oh right lol. This fanbase and the members of this board have scorched every single one of these QB's. Hell, Schaub took his turn too, as did Watson. Watson wasn't accurate enough, and played too much "hero ball". Schaub had a wet noodle for an arm. He always underthrows AJ on those deep shots. Carr caught hell from this board. To this day, it's considered a bad omen to even say his name. Osweiler was called Assweiler, and that was on a good day when he wasn't being lit up like a Christmas tree around here.

So, my question is...what makes Mills different? Why the kid gloves with Mills? Some folks on this board appear to take it as a personal affront that he's not being given some sort of mad respect and a 3rd chance to prove he can be a quality starter. There's an entire thread on that subject. Where was the Osweiler respect thread or the Carr respect thread?

In short....I don't get it. Davis is a nice kid, and has a few decent individual traits but I think if his trajectory was even simply a "decent starter" I'm pretty sure we'd have seen those signs by now. It's not about any treatment or some personal dig at the young man. It's about wanting this team to be the best it can possibly be.

For better or for worse, CJ is now leading this club for the foreseeable future. This isn't directed at any one person but to me life's way too short to ***** and moan over a QB selection. If you see bust - fine by me. State your case as to why with facts. CJ is subject to critical analysis like anyone. I love talking about football and learning from you guys and getting other POV's. But being a petty, whiny, troll? Eh, go for it if that's your bag. But I'm pretty much done taking the bait with that angle. I'd rather talk real ball with all of you guys and gals. That's what I am here for. Just saying something to get a rise out of people. Screw that. Like I said - this isn't one person. Hell, I've been guilty a time or three. Let's ALL try to be better. I think that will make this board a better place to learn and have fun. And with that, I'm done with this conversation.

This isn't about Mills.

This is about no excuses for Stroud, if he's so much better than Mills and he should be then there should be no excuses particularly because Stroud has much better weapons to work with.

If Stroud plays like Mills did I hope you treat Stroud the same way you did Mills. You know failing in the clutch type stuff, throwing inaccurate passes while facing pressure up the middle of the OL etc...

I sure hope CJ doesn't expect that clean of a pocket. He got some pressure, but only after the protection broke down. In the NFL defenders are on the QB in less than 2 seconds. Not hitting him but within about a yard. In the clip he had 2-4 yards before guys started getting close to him. It going to be a much more muddied pocket in the pro's. I exit will take a few games to get used to that.

I sure hope CJ doesn't expect that clean of a pocket. He got some pressure, but only after the protection broke down. In the NFL defenders are on the QB in less than 2 seconds. Not hitting him but within about a yard. In the clip he had 2-4 yards before guys started getting close to him. It going to be a much more muddied pocket in the pro's. I exit will take a few games to get used to that.

It may take TC and half a season for him to settle down and be use to the speed and D players around pretty much every play. The plus is that he is still very accurate until he really has to scoot out of that pocket and pull trigger. He, as seen in the video I posted, can still make amazing throws with touch and accurate. The issue will probably be rolling and throwing WRs open. That's in the video a few times with decent results. On the flip side, most NFL WRs will make a catch on 75% of the missed type from the video. They just have to be ready to get hit hard right after the catch if covered as well as some in the video. CJ can get it to them but they have to have it secure and not drop it when they get hit by the DB running full out a yard or less from them.

HOUSTON -- Texans owner Cal McNair said Monday that neither he nor his wife, Hannah, forced his team's front office to draft Ohio State quarterback C.J. Stroud.

"Hannah and I don't make the picks. We'll make it clear there," McNair said during the 20th annual Houston Texans Charity Golf Classic. "We have a great group of scouts led by Nick [Caserio] and James Lippert, and they did a lot of work on the draft board, and then they followed that on draft day, and they moved up when they saw the value was there and moved back."

Back