Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 9 @ the Fish

I'm hoping to see Mills start the game tomorrow just because I'd like to see him against a defense that's not one of the top ones in the league. I'd like to see him be able to operate where he can have some success and observe how the team and he respond to that possibility. In addition to that, Taylor would get two more weeks of rest on that hammy. Those things are notorious for sneaking back up on you when you think they're healed. If they think Tyrod is ready this week, two more weeks of rest won't hurt his hamstring at all. Give Mills the cookie after feeding him to the meat grinder the last several weeks, and let Tyrod rest that leg some more.

I dunno but isn't it counter productive to play Tyrod at this point in the development and evaluation of Mills ?

I agree that for development purposes, it makes more sense for Mills to play against the Dolphins. However, I have to think that the Texans "Brain Trust" (or lack there of) need a win in order to stop the bleeding and keep what ever fan base is left. This team needs a positive in a world full of negatives, and a W will provide that.

I agree that for development purposes, it makes more sense for Mills to play against the Dolphins. However, I have to think that the Texans "Brain Trust" (or lack there of) need a win in order to stop the bleeding and keep what ever fan base is left. This team needs a positive in a world full of negatives, and a W will provide that.

Why, even with Taylor starting they are going to be one of the worst teams in the league.

I really don't get the purpose of starting Taylor. Are fans this dumb and do you placate these fans, or do you do what's right for the long term health of the franchise. I think we know the McNair's history when it comes to these types of decisions. It's one of the reasons the franchise is where it's at today.

Why, even with Taylor starting they are going to be one of the worst teams in the league.

I really don't get the purpose of starting Taylor. Are fans this dumb and do you placate these fans, or do you do what's right for the long term health of the franchise. I think we know the McNair's history when it comes to these types of decisions. It's one of the reasons the franchise is where it's at today.

I think its more a case of coaches thinking about their job security after this season (mainly Tim Kelly).

As the offense looks now, there’s no reason to retain Tim Kelly next season. Especially since he was mainly retained to keep WD40 around. But he likely calls a better game with Tyrod in the lineup than Mills.

I think its more a case of coaches thinking about their job security after this season (mainly Tim Kelly).

As the offense looks now, there’s no reason to retain Tim Kelly next season. Especially since he was mainly retained to keep WD40 around. But he likely calls a better game with Tyrod in the lineup than Mills.

It's bad that the coaches are already in self preservation mode at this point in the season.

He calls a better game because there's a QB in that can move the ball? See, I don't think the play calling has to do with anything. It's the design of the offense that's the problem. This is still OB's suck ass design. Taylor might be able to make it go better because of talent, just as DW did, but the design, regardless of the play called, still has OB all over it. That doesn't change until you get rid of OB 2.0 (Kelly).

He calls a better game because there's a QB in that can move the ball? See, I don't think the play calling has to do with anything. It's the design of the offense that's the problem. This is still OB's suck ass design. Taylor might be able to make it go better because of talent, just as DW did, but the design, regardless of the play called, still has OB all over it. That doesn't change until you get rid of OB 2.0 (Kelly).

Definitely not a fan of OB offense and lack of structured design with history of success at NFL level. Particularly when it comes to the running game.

Good thing is Kelly should be gone after this season.

I thought it was a bad idea to keep Kelly around. A full housecleaning was needed and and a case can be made that as far as the on the field product goes Kelly has done more damage than Easterby over the yrs. The offense looks like same old same old.

So do you think the run game issues are mostly related to scheme, or because Devlin cant evaluate talent and Scharping/Howard are looking busty?

I think its mostly scheme at this point. With as many OL have come through since the OB offense was implemented playing poorly. Sure it could be a coincidence that they also can’t identify and draft proper talent or sign them in free agency. But that’s a lot of players to fail. Scheme has to take majority of the blame.

I'm hoping to see Mills start the game tomorrow
They already said Taylor will start.

I really don't get the purpose of starting Taylor. Are fans this dumb and do you placate these fans, or do you do what's right for the long term health of the franchise
What's right for the franchise long term is to play to win the game. If the Texans focus on developing QBs, they're done. Long term prognosis is death. Developing the QB is only part of the equation.

They need to focus on developing a team. Brevin Jordan, Nico Collins, Charlie Heck, those guys are more likely more valuable to the Texans future than Davis Mills ever might be.

They deserve the opportunity to develop without Davis Mills holding them back when he is clearly not as ready to start as they are.

So do you think the run game issues are mostly related to scheme, or because Devlin cant evaluate talent and Scharping/Howard are looking busty?
I think the run game suffers because they don't play through their blocks. They are in "get in the way" mode & not "take that guy out of the play" mode.

Like David Culley saw the defense using the tackling sled & thought it was just for the defensive players

I'm hoping to see Mills start the game tomorrow just because I'd like to see him against a defense that's not one of the top ones in the league. I'd like to see him be able to operate where he can have some success and observe how the team and he respond to that possibility. In addition to that, Taylor would get two more weeks of rest on that hammy. Those things are notorious for sneaking back up on you when you think they're healed. If they think Tyrod is ready this week, two more weeks of rest won't hurt his hamstring at all. Give Mills the cookie after feeding him to the meat grinder the last several weeks, and let Tyrod rest that leg some more.
Not happening Tyrod has been named the starter.

What's right for the franchise long term is to play to win the game. If the Texans focus on developing QBs, they're done. Long term prognosis is death. Developing the QB is only part of the equation.

They need to focus on developing a team. Brevin Jordan, Nico Collins, Charlie Heck, those guys are more likely more valuable to the Texans future than Davis Mills ever might be.

They deserve the opportunity to develop without Davis Mills holding them back when he is clearly not as ready to start as they are.

Exactly, I really don’t understand why any fan want to see losing football. Or better yet their team tank. It should be evident that Culley is not on board with that nonsense. The Culture should be about winning or at least trying to win. Tanking is not the best way to build a winning culture imo.

They may develop but there still aren't going to be many wins.

You need to come to terms with what this season is all about and has been since Buzbee entered the picture.

Looks like a poorly coached team to me. No urgency, no discipline.

Agreed

Een if they were extremely well coached there probably wouldn't be more than 4-5 wins. I mean there was only 4 wins with Derrick at the helm and some think Derrick walks on water.

Just because a fan says coaches are in self preservation mode (no offense TRJ) doesn't mean they are in self preservation mode.

Their actions oer the next couple of weeks will speak volumes. They've already spoken this week.

What is their best foot forward?

The ability to draft supremely talented guys at the top of each rd or win 3-4 meaningless games?
Coaching to win. Making decisions based on winning, now & long-term.

Playing Mills instead of Tyrod is the very type of decision that makes players want to leave. It's like trading the best receiver in the league for David Johnson.

I am definitely interested in how the young players mentioned perform with Tyrod in the lineup. Hopefully we find that some of these youngsters can be a core player like Greenard appears to be on defense.

Coaching to win. Making decisions based on winning, now & long-term.

Playing Mills instead of Tyrod is the very type of decision that makes players want to leave. It's like trading the best receiver in the league for David Johnson.
You're worrying about players leaving?

There only about 5-6 guys I would want to stay on the current roster. If players want to leave then trade their azzez for whatever you can get for them and draft all of the young talent you can get. That's how the culture will be truly changed, drafting many great players and have them buy in. I'm liking last yrs draft with Collins/Jordan and Lopez. I think they are the start of the rebuild but the rebuild wont truly start until next yr and getting as high of draft picks and as many draft picks as possible are needed to give you the best chance to find difference maker. But that's only my opinion. Obviously Culley agrees with you.

The David Johnson example is Apples/Oranges IMHO

You're worrying about players leaving?

There only about 5-6 guys I would want to stay on the current roster
No, it's not just about the four or five that I want to keep.

It's the principle. This team is looked at as one of the worst because they traded Clowney for Martin & Hopkins for Johnson.

This is the same kind of decision. It's not about meaningless wins. It's about the guys putting on the pads every game believing the guys at the very top doing everything they do to put them, the guys on the field in the best possible position every day.

I think the run game suffers because they don't play through their blocks. They are in "get in the way" mode & not "take that guy out of the play" mode.
Man, this is so true. I rewatched the Ram game. And some of the o-line blocking just was glaringly inept. I watched Geron basically pass block on a running play. There were a lot more but this one play just sticks in my head. If Geron would have actually went out and blocked there would have been a running Lane right in between him and Howard. He was waiting for somebody to come to him to block instead of attacking the block. That kind of s*** doesn't work.

very conflicted post, on one hand preference to Jordan, Collins, Heck than Mills? No that’s clear bias against Mills. Not sure why, since I don’t follow posts around here as much as I use to. Clearly Mills, just playing the QB position has a much higher value than the other three, a WR, TE and RT.

“They deserve the opportunity to develop without Davis Mills holding them back when he is clearly not as ready to start as they are.”

Wow. First place, none of them are ready to start. Second, by all playing together they should be building continuity thus helping each other. Third, Texans put Mills in this position, they drafted him and went out and signed an injury plagued, but experienced QB as starter. This is all on the Texans, not Davis Mills who is absolutely getting crushed out there trying to make plays for his organization.

very conflicted post, on one hand preference to Jordan, Collins, Heck than Mills? No that’s clear bias against Mills. Not sure why, since I don’t follow posts around here as much as I use to. Clearly Mills, just playing the QB position has a much higher value than the other three, a WR, TE and RT.

“They deserve the opportunity to develop without Davis Mills holding them back when he is clearly not as ready to start as they are.”

Wow. First place, none of them are ready to start. Second, by all playing together they should be building continuity thus helping each other. Third, Texans put Mills in this position, they drafted him and went out and signed an injury plagued, but experienced QB as starter. This is all on the Texans, not Davis Mills who is absolutely getting crushed out there trying to make plays for his organization.
I can see where you're coming from if you hadn't followed the conversation.

My point is they should focus on developing the team just as much as developing Mills.

Mills playing is probably the best for developing Mills.

Collins & Jordan would probably be targeted more, catch more, score more with a decent veteran QB than a rookie. Heck would probably give up less pressures, sacks, & hits.

Mills is not a 1st round ready to start day 1 prospect. It would be different if he was & I'd be all about starting him, developing him, & getting ready to win some games in 2022.

I'm more optimistic about Mills than most, but I don't think he'll be leading teams to wins until 2023.

I can see where you're coming from if you hadn't followed the conversation.

My point is they should focus on developing the team just as much as developing Mills.

Mills playing is probably the best for developing Mills.

Collins & Jordan would probably be targeted more, catch more, score more with a decent veteran QB than a rookie. Heck would probably give up less pressures, sacks, & hits.

Mills is not a 1st round ready to start day 1 prospect. It would be different if he was & I'd be all about starting him, developing him, & getting ready to win some games in 2022.

I'm more optimistic about Mills than most, but I don't think he'll be leading teams to wins until 2023.
When did you become optimistic about Mills? Lol The conversation I’ve seen earlier from you on Mills was very pessimistic.

Mills has had to play with mediocre talent, too. Who knows who will become valuable to this team in the future?
Making decisions based on winning, now & long-term.
Winning now? Take a look at the standings. Take a look at the product on the field. There is nothing there that looks like a win now team. The only way this season can possibly be productive is if you learn something about the the younger players that may have a future here.

It's not about meaningless wins. It's about the guys putting on the pads every game believing the guys at the very top doing everything they do to put them, the guys on the field in the best possible position every day.
These players aren't morons. They know what this team is far better than we do. And they aren't going to be tricked into thinking that winning a meaningless game against another losing team means anything more than squat.

Winning tomorrow with players who aren't a part of the future means nothing.

Winning tomorrow with players that could be part of the future may mean something.

Anyway, I give Taylor a 50/50 chance of ending up on the sideline with another injury. He is who he is.

Mills has had to play with mediocre talent, too. Who knows who will become valuable to this team in the future?
We've seen them play with Mills. Let's see them play with Tyrod. I haven't seen Tyrod behind Geron, McCreary, & Heck. I haven't seen him with Brevin Jordan or Chris Moore.

The only way this season can possibly be productive is if you learn something about the the younger players that may have a future here.
Good idea. Let's see if these other young guys can step up with an upgrade at QB.

Winning tomorrow with players who aren't a part of the future means nothing.
I agree.

Anyway, I give Taylor a 50/50 chance of ending up on the sideline with another injury. He is who he is
I agree

On one of the plays in the Rams game, Mills escaped pressure and found Cooks for a 1st down. On that play, McCray let his guy go free and acted like he was going to help Howard. Scharping did a hell of a job blocking two guys for as long as he could. Which wasn't long. McCray ended up blocking nobody. Mills should have been sacked with a quickness, but he made a good play.

I think most of Mills' problems are because of the offensive line, and having an OC that doesn't know how to cal the plays that give his QB the best chance to succeed.

I think it’s scheme. All I see from this run game is power and one trap play. Half the time the guard is too slow to get to his spot and the RB is tackled at the LOS. Even the lack of talent should be able to be coached up to provide a decent run game. Texans have two run plays and neither one is worth a poop.

Can someone drop me a link to stream the game today please. Cowboys are on Fox today in my area. Thank you

Crap, the game is on Fox. That means I have to move my antenna and can't pick up anything else. Which also means no channel surfing when I'm bored with the game. It's a wonderful good weather day, maybe I should just go for a walk instead. It's not as if I'll miss anything. LOL

Winning now? Take a look at the standings. Take a look at the product on the field. There is nothing there that looks like a win now team. The only way this season can possibly be productive is if you learn something about the the younger players that may have a future here.
OK I totally endorse what Lucky has to say here.
You know several of us agreed early on that the 2021 season was a mulligan for the Texans, which I still believe is very much the case.
And also there's no disagreement that there's a positive correlation between the level of where a team drafts and the talent they secure in the Draft, i.e, the poorer the record a team has the higher they draft.
Evaluation & development of players who are potentially most likely to be here over the long-term should therefor inform the coaching staff & front office of who on our current roster plays the most.

I think it’s scheme. All I see from this run game is power and one trap play. Half the time the guard is too slow to get to his spot and the RB is tackled at the LOS. Even the lack of talent should be able to be coached up to provide a decent run game. Texans have two run plays and neither one is worth a poop.
Facts

Inactive list for today's game:

TEXANS
  • QB Deshaun Watson
  • QB Jeff Driskel
  • WR Davion Davis
  • TE Pharaoh Brown
  • LB Hardy Nickerson
  • LB Eric Wilson
  • DB Cre’Von LeBlanc
DOLPHINS
  • WR Preston Williams
  • TE Hunter Long
  • T Greg Little
  • DT John Jenkins
  • LB Darius Hodge
  • CB Trill Williams
  • S Sheldrick Redwine

Scharping to the bench. Hopefully Morrisey pans out. Disappointed Lane Taylor hasn’t been able to break into the lineup but the 7th round rookie the team plucked off the Raiders practice squad has managed to make it into the starting lineup.

Back