Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Week 2: @ Mile High

I'm a bit afraid that the Broncos are going to want to look good in front of the home town crowd after they messed the bed last week and that they wind up beating us like we are baby harp seals.

Same. Also factor in that Mills’ home/road splits are pretty dramatic. I’m worried last week was good to lukewarm Mills…. this week is gonna be bad Mills.

Broncos are at home coming off an embarrassing loss with a team expected to make the playoffs. They have a couple key players out (Simmons, Meinerz) but so will the Texans (Collins likely and the IR crew Harris/Thomas/Addison).

PS: I am interested to see what this defense looks like when the IR crew makes it back!

PPS: I know Britt is out as well. But you know why I didn’t include him on Texans key players out list :(

Last edited:
Game Preview: Houston Texans at Denver Broncos
Houston Texans (0-0-1) vs Denver Broncos (0-1)
Game Time:
Sunday, September 18, 3:25p CT
TV/Radio: CBS / KILT 610AM

What’s at stake: Both teams are coming off disappointing performances and are looking for their first win. The Texans surrendered a 17-point fourth-quarter lead and ultimately settled for a 20-20 tie in Week 1 with Indianapolis. Fortunately for the Texans, no team in the AFC South recorded a win in Week 1. The Broncos lost two fumbles on the Seahawks ‘ yard line on consecutive drives in the second half en route to a one-point loss to Seattle. Denver plays in the extremely competitive AFC West, where the Kansas City Chiefs are already 2-0.

When the Texans have the ball: Texans head coach Lovie Smith has stated he wants to get the ball to rookie RB Dameon Pierce more. Expect to see another split share of reps between Pierce and veteran Rex Burkhead, whom the coaching staff clearly trusts more right now. TE OJ Howard had two big touchdown receptions last week; look for him to become a bigger part of the offense moving forward as he gets more acclimated to the playbook. Brandin Cooks is Davis Mills’ primary outside receiving target.

When the Broncos have the ball: Their two-headed RB system of Melvin Gordon and Javonte Williams is an elite duo. Both are strong runners and can be a part of the passing game, especially Williams, who had 11 receptions last week. Russell Wilson is one of the smartest quarterbacks in the league, and his mobility makes him tough to bring down. Jerry Jeudy and Courtland Sutton are a formidable pair of receivers.

Key Texans to Watch:

RB Dameon Pierce:
Pierce said all the right things when asked about his lack of playing time last week. He has shown a positive attitude and desire to learn. He is also clearly the team’s best back. Lovie Smith has said he wants to get Pierce more touches all week, but it remains to be seen if that actually happens.

C Scott Quessenberry: Quessenberry will draw the start at center with Justin Britt away from the team. He was given extensive run at the position in preseason action. The Texans’ offensive line came completely undone in the fourth quarter and overtime last week, and center is a key position on the line. The Texans’ success in running the ball and their ability to stay in sync will be significantly affected by Quessenberry’s play in either direction.

TE OJ Howard: Howard made a massive impact in limited action last week, securing both of his targets for touchdowns. He has another week of practice under his belt, and TE Brevin Jordan is listed as questionable this week after he was a limited participant in practice twice and did not practice on Thursday. Howard should be ready and able to take on more work this weekend in Denver.

QB Davis Mills: Mills was solid for three quarters but seemed to be rattled after the EJ Speed sack and fumble last week. He needs to show that the fourth-quarter offensive collapse is behind him, and he can execute the offense in a hostile environment, or this game could get out of hand on the Texans.

The Bottom Line: The Texans are a rebuilding team with some interesting, high-ceiling young players but not much depth. The Broncos are a team with playoff expectations and Super Bowl aspirations after trading for and then handing a large contract to QB Russell Wilson. This game will be a tough test for the Texans, who will be on the road for the first time this season, playing at high altitude in a very loud building against a well-balanced opponent. Even if they can just be competitive in this contest, it would show a lot about where the Texans are in their process. If they can at least stay close, it would be two weeks in a row that the Texans would show competitively against better teams in the AFC and help cleanse the palate of the 17-point fourth-quarter collapse from last week.

Scott Quessenbery at C will have challenges that he didn't in the preseason. Defenses then were vanilla and easier for a C to call protections. The regular season reads will be much more complicated than what he has seen so far. It is to be seen if Q can make the appropriate calls...........quickly........... AND hold his own at his position, when the type of bullets and the direction of the bullets are flying quickly and more unpredictable.

Scott Quessenbery at C will have challenges that he didn't in the preseason. Defenses then were vanilla and easier for a C to call protections. The regular season reads will be much more complicated than what he has seen so far. It is to be seen if Q can make the appropriate calls...........quickly........... AND hold his own at his position, when the type of bullets and the direction of the bullets are flying quickly and more unpredictable.

Being a veteran he should be able to accomplish this without too much trouble.

I know a little about Scott. Drafted by Chargers 5th rd. 2018 teetering on 53, mostly OG depth, but just never really developed @ Center position just OL depth w/versatility, but not starter material.
Looks like he's going to be the starting C for the Texans this yr.

I know we were both unimpressed by his play in the Texans/Chargers game last yr. Hopefully he's improved. He should be good at the OL calls. The fact that he beat out Morrisey should tell us things about how they view the C position and Morrisey.

I was going to suggest that, but you seemed so sure. streameast is one of the better streams
Streameast is pretty good but I get a lot of rebuffering. None the less beggars can't be choosers so I'll take what I can get.

One a side note, the streameast feed is good enough that I can see that the Jaguars are looking pretty good against the Colts today!

Last edited:
Cannot wait for DTV to lose Sunday Ticket. There system is trash and im still not able to get in.
Can't believe how bad they are. I have been jacking with them for an hour trying to upgrade to Max since only one streaming device with their "basic" plan, which is $300. 1-(888)778-8806 is Technical Support and Directv is 1-800-531-5000. They have transferred twice and both times they say I have to call the other number. I finally said screw it and came back to watch the games. I now see that the service is not working. What the heck is going on with them?

Just watched Texans Extra Points weekly show today NBC here Drew Doughtery n Deepi n Kubena. They showed Lovie agreeing at his fault they should have gotten more carries. That's gonna change week may actually see many Pierce carries. Lots of respect for Lovie admitting fault and change it accordingly.

Looks like he's going to be the starting C for the Texans this yr.

I know we were both unimpressed by his play in the Texans/Chargers game last yr. Hopefully he's improved. He should be good at the OL calls. The fact that he beat out Morrisey should tell us things about how they view the C position and Morrisey.

About the only positive is having played three seasons in the AFC West he knows the Broncos very well. Not a terrible matchup for him to start. Should be good enough, just don’t get too excited for him to be season starter.

Being a veteran he should be able to accomplish this without too much trouble.
The only year that Q had anymore than a handful of snaps in a season was in 2019 with a little over 600 (31st of all centers). His ratings have been consistently questionable. I hope he does work out. But calling him a vet and expecting more than he has produced in the past, still remains a significant question mark.

Streameast is pretty good but I get a lot of rebuffering. None the less beggars can't be choosers so I'll take what I can get.

One a side note, the streameast feed is good enough that I can see that the Jaguars are looking pretty good against the Colts today!
I don't have any problems with buffering... try sportsurge.net and see if you can find a stream that works better for you

Can't believe how bad they are. I have been jacking with them for an hour trying to upgrade to Max since only one streaming device with their "basic" plan, which is $300. 1-(888)778-8806 is Technical Support and Directv is 1-800-531-5000. They have transferred twice and both times they say I have to call the other number. I finally said screw it and came back to watch the games. I now see that the service is not working. What the heck is going on with them?
Hopefully, they go out of business when they lose Sunday Ticket. They failed to modernize and upgrade their systems. They got complacent and now they are being dominated. Like so many before them.

I am hoping that green and Laramie Tunsil worked on communication this week so they won't both block the same guy as they did last Sunday.

Happy to see Green is getting the start. Hopefully him and Pierce get plenty of time on field together to show what smash mouth football is supposed to look like.

Both Dorsett and Tyler Johnson are inactive.

That leaves the Texans with 4 active WRs correct? Cooks, Collins, Moore and Conley.

Maybe they are more confident that a certain TE (Howard) can take on a larger role in the passing game while running multi Te sets? I would like to see Pharaoh Brown and OJ Howard in 2 TE sets today. Nice size to help run the ball without telegraphing the play like they did with Heck as TE.

Both Dorsett and Tyler Johnson are inactive.

That leaves the Texans with 4 active WRs correct? Cooks, Collins, Moore and Conley.

Maybe they are more confident that a certain TE (Howard) can take on a larger role in the passing game while running multi Te sets? I would like to see Pharaoh Brown and OJ Howard in 2 TE sets today. Nice size to help run the ball without telegraphing the play like they did with Heck as TE.
That’s terrible. No way Conley should be playing. Goodness

Last edited:
Back