Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 12 vs. Jets

The ugly so many Texans fans don't want to face about Culley's hire

Nick C. actually thinks Culley was the best man for the job

or

Culley was the only candidate who would take the Texans' dumpster fire, soap opera, carnival show, etc.
I'm not sure it's that cut and dry. I think he was hired because of a combination of things and the only people who know what those things were are those that made the decision.

Culley has not been a good HC this year. There is nothing, nothing at all in his background that looked (to me) like he would be a good HC. He's a country club manager that has enjoyed moderate success in his career as position and assistant coach.

I firmly believe the Texans could have hired someone more accomplished and capable than Culley had they wanted to. My theory on why they didn't is because they wanted someone that would absorb friendly fire from the fans as Caserio and McNair made unpopular decisions and would acquiesce to being limited in their power/control.

Culley (and he's said as much) is just grateful to be given a chance. He's going to do and say whatever Caserio and co. tell him.

The most striking thing to me is that not only does he make boneheaded decisions during the game, when recounting those decisions after the game he can't even remember the circumstances surrounding those decisions. He gets confused in retelling the details. It makes me wonder if he's the one really pulling the strings or is someone pulling his.

It's gameday! Time to schedule my nap. Or go watch the squirrels playing in the parking lot. I think there are more squirrels in this apartment complex than people.

Culley was the only candidate who would take the Texans' dumpster fire, soap opera, carnival show, etc.
There are lines of people lining up to take one dumpster fire after the next. Whether it’s in San Francisco, Detroit, Cleveland, or Houston.

Jim Caldwell, Lizz Frazier, Eric Bieniemy would love ( imo) to be where David Culley is. Idon’t care what you say, I think Frazier would have been a good hire.

Eric Bieniemy would love ( imo) to be where David Culley is
Bieniemy wasn't taking this job without roster control. And while Frazier had better credentials, there would have been more friction with Caserio's personnel decisions. Culley was the perfect lame duck, pushover head coach this organization was looking for.

Bieniemy wasn't taking this job without roster control. And while Frazier had better credentials, there would have been more friction with Caserio's personnel decisions. Culley was the perfect lame duck, pushover head coach this organization was looking for.
The point is Culley wasn’t the only one who’d take this job

Saleh is up and comer, many teams showed interest and media favorite for most open positions. Not my choice but even most thought good chance to get Chargers open gig (no way over Staley) but Texans fired O'Brian and created open vacuum before any other opening. If Cal had half a pulse, you would think a former Texans assistant with this much upside would be intriguing hire? No or DC for the #1 ranked defense, Staley, who was their first interview would be more forward thinking than Culley, who has never even held a coordinator position, despite some 30 years in the NFL. Complete brain fart Cal, smacks of Easterby who should be fired on the spot, but now blood is on Caserio who enabled situation because he was enabled by Jack, quid pro quo.

Anyway, since you asked, does coaching make a difference? Both huge turnaround situations, but Jets have been long term pasties without any recent success like Texans. Should be a more compelling game than national media covers but for those diehard fans of Texans and Jets a barometer of future sucess, so I'm going with Saleh as reason for optimism going forward.
I get the optimism/promise but I was looking at it as it stands today. They both are rookie HCs of bad teams and I've watched Saleh make terrible decisions just as Culley has. TBH, I'm wasn't enthused about either of them but right now both grade out as incomplete. The comparative success or failure of their current jobs may come down to the Johnsons vs the McNairs.

Do you think the McNair's would ever hire Saleh? I dont.

Culley was hired to try to appease Derrick. Staley or any other non minority HC was never a serious candidate.

Wouldn't hiring Bienemy appease Derrick? Also, why not hire Jim Caldwell? At least Caldwell had previous HC experience and has shown he can coach in this league. He took over a struggling Ravens' offense and helped them to a Super Bowl. As a HC, we know what he did with Manning and the Colts. He was even able to have consecutive winning seasons and a playoff appearance in Detroit. How many former Lions' coaches can make that claim?

Hire Caldwell and you have Peyton Manning calling Derrick to tell him what a great coach and offensive mind they hired. If hiring Culley was simply to appease Derrick, they had better options. Saying Culley was hired to appease Derrick is not a valid excuse.

Last edited:
Wouldn't hiring Bienemy appease Derrick? Also, why not hire Jim Caldwell? At least Caldwell had previous HC experience and has shown he can coach in this league. He took over a struggling Ravens' offense and helped them to a Super Bowl. As a HC, we know what he did with Manning and the Colts. He was even able to have consecutive winning seasons and a playoff appearance in Detroit. How many former Lions' coaches can make that claim?

Hire Caldwell and you have Peyton Manning calling Derrick to tell him what a great coach and offensive mind they hired. If hiring Culley was simply to appease Derrick, they had better options. Saying Culley was hired to appease Derrick is not a valid excuse.

The McNair's were never going to hire Bienemy.

I think it came down to Caldwell and Culley. I would've chosen Caldwell, they chose Culley because of the old saying, you think about when you have to fire somebody, not about when you hire somebody. IMHO

Go Texans

Stepped into my truck earlier this morning and heard the comment that the OL will be shaken up today. Anyone heard who will be starting?

I really don't understand why they changed the offensive line today. Makes no sense.

But hey TOUCHDOWN Jordan.

Another TD after a turnover. I can get use to Lovie's defense. Lol
I’ve been waiting to see Lane Taylor in the lineup & I thought Geron was doing a serviceable job at LT.

I think this says something about what they think of Titus, to move him outside to make room for Taylor.

However, watching Titus get jacked up by that little edge rusher tells me something the Texans obviously refuse to see.

Back