Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Warren Moon's No. 1 Will Finally Be Retired

Wow. Moon, nor any of the other guys except Matthews, has ever played a down in the state of Tennessee. Bud Adams is a puke.

what gets me, is if I remember correctly.. Bud had the oilers name and stats retired ...so the city of houston couldn't use the name again (unlike the deal the NFL made with Cleveland)..

with that said, I wondered why the City of Houston wouldn't have the honor of retiring the Oiler Jersey?

I would understand better if the Oiler name/stats weren't sealed(IIRC)

IIRC, Adams also ripped Moon out of a cool $1 million that he was supposed to get for throwing so many TDs or for so many yards (incentives in the contract) when he traded him.

I'm sure Moon would much rather do it in Houston.

I wonder if the Titans fan will be like they were when Elvin Bethea had his number retired (laughing and asking who's that?). Aj and I were ready to puke sitting in the stands for that one. Most of those fans were only watching NASCAR when the Houston Oilers were playing.

We're on the same wave length Hookem... I just posted about this on the TOMB.

I'm going to stand in for you. I'll be wearing your jersey and I plan to whistle until the spit dries.

Warren Moon should do the right thing and not attend any ceremony. I will lose a large measure of respect for him if he does.

If it's like the day when Elvin was recognized in Nashville, there will be a ten-story color banner of Moon hanging off the side of the stadium, people will be asking "who's that?" as they walk over the bridges (few will actually be in their seats during the ceremony because it's at halftime and everyone went to the john), and oh yeah, Floyd Reese's wife will be drunk as a skunk, mixing it up with Houston fans in the parking lot after the game.

We're on the same wave length Hookem... I just posted about this on the TOMB.

I'm going to stand in for you. I'll be wearing your jersey and I plan to whistle until the spit dries.

Thanks Yvette ;). That jersey has seen it all from the Astrodome to the Vet, Meadowlands, Dawg Pound, and others. You know, that is an authentic jersey back when authentics were around $70. Now they are like $230. Is it still in good shape?

If it's like the day when Elvin was recognized in Nashville, there will be a ten-story color banner of Moon hanging off the side of the stadium, people will be asking "who's that?" as they walk over the bridges (few will actually be in their seats during the ceremony because it's at halftime and everyone went to the john), and oh yeah, Floyd Reese's wife will be drunk as a skunk, mixing it up with Houston fans in the parking lot after the game.

LOL, I remember my jaw hitting the floor when I found out that drunk woman was Floyd Reese's wife. Wasn't she spewing nonsense about Houston and how us fans didn't want the Oilers, etc.?

I remember John McClain telling us that Elvin follows the Texans. Then as we were crossing that bridge seeing that big picture of Elvin on the side of that stadium some fans were asking who he was. I remember telling one of them that he is a Texans fan and thanks for honoring us, however next season I want to see my picture up there when the Texans come to town. ;)

Yep, its still in great shape!

I just told Bob about Moon and he's seriously trying to talk me into letting him wear it. I can whistle louder so I win LOL!

LOL, I remember my jaw hitting the floor when I found out that drunk woman was Floyd Reese's wife. Wasn't she spewing nonsense about Houston and how us fans didn't want the Oilers, etc.?

Yeah, I remember her blubbering about how Houston fans sucked and we didn't care about our sports teams, bleaahhhhh (got another beer?). I reminded her that I was from Houston and I was in her esteemed presence because I flew 750 miles to watch my team get their asses pounded into the turf ( '03 I think -- the day McNair threw for about 400). Yeah we suck.

Warren Moon should do the right thing and not attend any ceremony. I will lose a large measure of respect for him if he does.

The event was pre-arranged to fit into Moon's schedule, so I'm sure he will be there.

I am a huge fan of Moon's, and I will not lose any respect for him if he attends. He deserves the honor, and he deserves to enjoy it. IMO, it doesn't matter how he feels (or how I feel) about Bud Adams or the Titans.

Yes, he played for the Oilers in Houston but the Titans are in essence a continuation of the Oilers. I think it makes more sence retiring his jersey with the Titans than it would if it were the Texans. He played in Houston but the Texans are a new franchise. The Titans aren't. They changed the name and moved to a new city, but they aren't a new franchise.

They're a continuation of the Oilers in more than just an essence. All of the Oilers team records and history are official property of the Titans. Everything moved from Houston to Tennessee, not just the roster at the time.

The Houston Texans are an expansion team, not the resurrection of the Oilers.

This is the key difference between us and the Cleveland Browns. When Art Modell moved his team from Cleveland to Baltimore, he signed away the history of the Browns so that it would be retained by the city of Cleveland. The team now known as the Baltimore Ravens has a fresh history and fresh record book. They do not officially have historical ties to the Browns like the Titans do with the Oilers.

When the expansion Browns team popped up, thanks to Cleveland retaining the old Browns team rights, the new team inheritted the record book, the history, the retired numbers, and everything else.

They are the same franchise so from that aspect it makes total sense.

But it's like retiring Deacon Jones jersey in front of the crowd in St Louis. Just odd, that's all.

(yeah I know Moon went on to play for three other teams after Houston - but most of his NFL 'success' was in Houston)

You'd think they would at least have enough respect to retire it during the Titans/Texans game. At least then Moon would have some Houston fans there for him. Of course that could lead to an interesting speech as to who he thinks more of.

Bud knows how much the City of Houston (Oiler/Texan fans) hate Dallas so why not honor Moon in front of him :stirpot:

You'd think they would at least have enough respect to retire it during the Titans/Texans game. At least then Moon would have some Houston fans there for him. Of course that could lead to an interesting speech as to who he thinks more of.

Because he's broadcasting the Seattle game at the same time in KC.

The info in the link did say it's a scheduling issue ;)

Why couldn't we get the Cleveland package. The Oilers had history here.

Bud Adams wouldn't allow it to spite the city however there wasn't much of a push for it by anyone in Houston.

Honestly, as a collective group, Cleveland has more fanatical fans and stood up to the NFL. That wasn't the case in Houston.

This is so spitefull of Turd Adams. I dislike that guy more and more by the second. He should have let us at least have the oilers name. Nobody cared if he fell off the truck on the way to nashville.

Wur's my gun damn it!!!!

I loved Warren Moon and beleive he was one of the top QBs of all time. He was the greatest Houston Oiler of all time. I even named my son after him. I just wish Moon had laughed at Bud when he was invited to Nashville for this thing. I beleive there is no place to retire Moon's #1. He never played for the Titans, so I could not care less if a Tennessee Titan wears #1, because it is not Moon's #1. The Oilers and titans are not the same.

NASHVILLE, TN, Sept. 26. 2006 – Warren Moon will have his #1 jersey retired during a ceremony on October 1 at the Titans game against the Dallas Cowboys. Additionally, he will be presented with his Pro Football Hall of Fame ring and be inducted into the Titans/Oilers Hall of Fame. Moon joins five other players who have had their number retired by the Titans/Oilers, Jim Norton (43), Elvin Bethea (65), Earl Campbell (34), Mike Munchak (63) and Bruce Matthews (74)...

continue the article here

moon_warren7.jpg

Just an FYI for you old Oilers fans. We love him here in Nashville too!

You guys should have Warren, I liked the guy well enough but hes not Steve McNair or Eddie George or Frank Wycheck to me.....It is a pretty classless move by BUd hes your memories not ours.

You guys should have Warren, I liked the guy well enough but hes not Steve McNair or Eddie George or Frank Wycheck to me.....It is a pretty classless move by BUd hes your memories not ours.

True, but nobody here is doing anything to honor those guys either. The Texans should take a page out of the Ravens book. The Ravens have honored many old Baltimore Colts players and even have a statue of Johnny Unitas outside their stadium.

Also, there is a large contigent of Texans fans that don't want anything to do with the Oilers. Many moved in after the Oilers left and others have a bad taste in their mouth with that team.

Bud would get slammed if he didn't honor Moon. As much as I can't stand Bud, I would rather that he did this than not.

Titan "Tack" Fan;453818 said:
Just an FYI for you old Oilers fans. We love him here in Nashville too!

Nice. :thumbup Do us a BIG favor and make sure he gets a standing ovation, will ya'?. If Houston fans can't be there, at least he'll be in our thoughts.

Moon definitely deserves the accolades, but unfortunately, the team he played for no longer exists. Sure the franchise, as a company, exists...but the uniform and name has been deleted outside of our memories and NFL Films.

The love he might receive in Nashville would be nothing compared to the love he'd receive in Houston. His memory has taken on legendary status among old Oiler fans, and rightfully so.

Screw you, Bud Adams!!!

But then again it's not like Moon would be coming to Reliant to retire his number, b/c he never played here either. *sigh Bud Adams is still on crack, but ah well. Whatever.

Congrats Warren Moon

The Browns have a longer history as well, which might have been a part of the reason they were able to keep everything.

No. The fans are the reason we lost everything. I have said it a bunch of times. The Browns had a 100k come out and support the team on save the Browns day where as we had 70.

gwallaia said:
I am no longer a fan of Warren Moon.

Why? Cus he felt the need to have a former employer admit that he really was needed and it was a mistake to ever get rid of him. Just because that trade sent his career swooshing down the toilet, doesn't mean Moon should be bitter does it?

I am no longer a fan of Warren Moon because of what Earl Campbell said to Bud Adams a few years ago. Earl set the standard for what all Oiler players who never played for the Titans should do. Tell Bud to kiss their ass.

Warren should have done what Earl did. Earl is the Man.

I am no longer a fan of Warren Moon because of what Earl Campbell said to Bud Adams a few years ago. Earl set the standard for what all Oiler players who never played for the Titans should do. Tell Bud to kiss their ass.

Warren should have done what Earl did. Earl is the Man.

I totally agree!!!!!

Earl is the Man.

Always and forever.

But I think Moon had a bit more emotion tied to Bud since he was an NFL owner that was willing to 'take a chance' on him. Maybe there is more to the story than we realize, because nobody was willing to give Moon a chance at QB before Bud. It's amazing in hindsight that black QBs were still unique as recent as the 1980's.

Just speculation on my part, though idonno:

Back