Warren Moon's No. 1 Will Finally Be Retired

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Tulip, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

2. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Wow. Moon, nor any of the other guys except Matthews, has ever played a down in the state of Tennessee. Bud Adams is a puke.

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

what gets me, is if I remember correctly.. Bud had the oilers name and stats retired ...so the city of houston couldn't use the name again (unlike the deal the NFL made with Cleveland)..

with that said, I wondered why the City of Houston wouldn't have the honor of retiring the Oiler Jersey?

I would understand better if the Oiler name/stats weren't sealed(IIRC)

4. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

IIRC, Adams also ripped Moon out of a cool $1 million that he was supposed to get for throwing so many TDs or for so many yards (incentives in the contract) when he traded him.

I'm sure Moon would much rather do it in Houston.

5. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

I wonder if the Titans fan will be like they were when Elvin Bethea had his number retired (laughing and asking who's that?). Aj and I were ready to puke sitting in the stands for that one. Most of those fans were only watching NASCAR when the Houston Oilers were playing.

6. Yvette

Yvette Veteran

We're on the same wave length Hookem... I just posted about this on the TOMB.

I'm going to stand in for you. I'll be wearing your jersey and I plan to whistle until the spit dries.

7. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Warren Moon should do the right thing and not attend any ceremony. I will lose a large measure of respect for him if he does.

8. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

If it's like the day when Elvin was recognized in Nashville, there will be a ten-story color banner of Moon hanging off the side of the stadium, people will be asking "who's that?" as they walk over the bridges (few will actually be in their seats during the ceremony because it's at halftime and everyone went to the john), and oh yeah, Floyd Reese's wife will be drunk as a skunk, mixing it up with Houston fans in the parking lot after the game.

9. Hookem Horns

Thanks Yvette ;). That jersey has seen it all from the Astrodome to the Vet, Meadowlands, Dawg Pound, and others. You know, that is an authentic jersey back when authentics were around $70. Now they are like $230. Is it still in good shape?

10. Hookem Horns

LOL, I remember my jaw hitting the floor when I found out that drunk woman was Floyd Reese's wife. Wasn't she spewing nonsense about Houston and how us fans didn't want the Oilers, etc.?

I remember John McClain telling us that Elvin follows the Texans. Then as we were crossing that bridge seeing that big picture of Elvin on the side of that stadium some fans were asking who he was. I remember telling one of them that he is a Texans fan and thanks for honoring us, however next season I want to see my picture up there when the Texans come to town. ;)

11. Yvette

Yvette Veteran

Yep, its still in great shape!

I just told Bob about Moon and he's seriously trying to talk me into letting him wear it. I can whistle louder so I win LOL!

12. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Yeah, I remember her blubbering about how Houston fans sucked and we didn't care about our sports teams, bleaahhhhh (got another beer?). I reminded her that I was from Houston and I was in her esteemed presence because I flew 750 miles to watch my team get their asses pounded into the turf ( '03 I think -- the day McNair threw for about 400). Yeah we suck.

13. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

The event was pre-arranged to fit into Moon's schedule, so I'm sure he will be there.

I am a huge fan of Moon's, and I will not lose any respect for him if he attends. He deserves the honor, and he deserves to enjoy it. IMO, it doesn't matter how he feels (or how I feel) about Bud Adams or the Titans.

14. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Yes, he played for the Oilers in Houston but the Titans are in essence a continuation of the Oilers. I think it makes more sence retiring his jersey with the Titans than it would if it were the Texans. He played in Houston but the Texans are a new franchise. The Titans aren't. They changed the name and moved to a new city, but they aren't a new franchise.

15. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

They're a continuation of the Oilers in more than just an essence. All of the Oilers team records and history are official property of the Titans. Everything moved from Houston to Tennessee, not just the roster at the time.

The Houston Texans are an expansion team, not the resurrection of the Oilers.

This is the key difference between us and the Cleveland Browns. When Art Modell moved his team from Cleveland to Baltimore, he signed away the history of the Browns so that it would be retained by the city of Cleveland. The team now known as the Baltimore Ravens has a fresh history and fresh record book. They do not officially have historical ties to the Browns like the Titans do with the Oilers.

When the expansion Browns team popped up, thanks to Cleveland retaining the old Browns team rights, the new team inheritted the record book, the history, the retired numbers, and everything else.

TexanSam likes this.
  16. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

They are the same franchise so from that aspect it makes total sense.

But it's like retiring Deacon Jones jersey in front of the crowd in St Louis. Just odd, that's all.

(yeah I know Moon went on to play for three other teams after Houston - but most of his NFL 'success' was in Houston)

17. Texans86

Texans86 All Pro

You'd think they would at least have enough respect to retire it during the Titans/Texans game. At least then Moon would have some Houston fans there for him. Of course that could lead to an interesting speech as to who he thinks more of.

18. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Bud knows how much the City of Houston (Oiler/Texan fans) hate Dallas so why not honor Moon in front of him :stirpot:

19. Revolution

Revolution All Pro

It would have been a nice gesture to do this during the Titans/Texans game...

A nice gesture from Bud???? Sorry! :pigfly:

20. Yvette

Yvette Veteran

Because he's broadcasting the Seattle game at the same time in KC.

The info in the link did say it's a scheduling issue ;)