Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Walker embraces roll as 3rd option

Wolf

100% Texan
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/15207396.htm
HOUSTON - Kevin Walter cut sharply on a slant pattern, then hauled in a pass with one hand on Saturday, drawing "oohs" and "aahs" from a few hundred Houston Texans fans crowded around the practice field.

The fourth-year receiver has drawn raves from coaches during the first nine days of training camp and he's likely to be the No. 3 receiver on the depth chart behind former Pro Bowlers Andre Johnson and Eric Moulds.

Walter hopes to use the duo's notoriety to his advantage - the more opponents focus on them, he thinks, the more passes will come his way.

"They might double 'Dre, they might double Eric," Walter said with a smile, "and that's going to leave me one-on-one with somebody. Whoever is going to be covering me, they're going to have their work cut out for them that day."

thanks to topix.net for the link to the links

Earlier Saturday, the 6-foot-3, 215-pound Walter was throwing blocks - and loving it - as the Texans worked on running plays. Coach Gary Kubiak has also complimented Walter's toughness, but Walter sees blocking as part of his job.

"A receiver is more than just a guy who runs routes and catches balls and scoring touchdowns," he said. "You need to be well-rounded because you're not going to throw the ball 100 percent of the time. You need to run the ball to win and as a receiver, you need to stay involved and be physical."

Such an attitude for blocking would seem to be expected, but Shanahan said many receivers don't share Walter's willingness.

"They'd all rather catch balls than block, obviously," Shanahan said. "But it's something that Coach Kubiak demands. We really believe in the running game and if you've only got nine guys blocking and two receivers watching, you're not going to have too many big runs.

"It's something all our guys are doing a good job of," he said, "but Kevin's pretty special at it."

:francis:

Great post. I think Walters brings some serious attitude to the table, a la Chad Johnson. Great receivers KNOW that the football is theirs and make plays accordingly. Nothing timid. Nothing weak. No excuses. They go up and claim what is rightfully theirs. Double teams and schemes(poet and didn't know it) don't matter to receivers like that. I like the guy.

This guy could end up being a steal for the 7th we gave up for him considering he replaced Gaffney who we drafted in the 2nd round.

Back