Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Video: Both Jared Allen Low Hits

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
As requested by some, here's a video of BOTH low hits on Matt Schaub. Massive offensive line destruction, but no, that's not good enough. Allen needs to stick a helmet in a knee a couple of times.

More Video on Jared Allen's Low Hits on Matt Schaub: Dirty or Not?

Please leave a brief comment over there if you can. Other ugly knee shots were on ESPN 24 hours a day--Tom Brady, Carson Palmer--but this is a non-story to most of the world. PFT only carried it because they got video of it.

Texans fans represent.:texflag:

Definitely ugly hits on Schaub. But, what bums me out even more is that we still have a craptastic o-line after seven seasons. It sometimes feels like we will never get that most basic of needs fixed on this team. And until we do, expect to see our QBs go down like flies on a regular basis.

Definitely ugly hits on Schaub. But, what bums me out even more is that we still have a craptastic o-line after seven seasons. It sometimes feels like we will never get that most basic of needs fixed on this team. And until we do, expect to see our QBs go down like flies on a regular basis.

It's a bunch of placeholders due to availability, bad luck, and previous years of poor training.

The center is an inexperienced Denver reject that they didn't keep even though he was playing behind some old guy. Inexperienced center play can be really exposed on the road.

Briesel. Barely found his way on the team. Is playing because dude ahead of him got a bad broken leg.

Rookie left tackle and an old guy left tackle.

Pitts and Winston are the only traditionally developed players on the line. Drafted decent high. Have some experience.

Really, coming into this season, I thought Alex Gibbs was going to have to perform some miracles with this random bunch.

The play calling also does them no favors when it is heavily weighted toward repeated pass blocking.

Please leave a brief comment over there if you can. Other ugly knee shots were on ESPN 24 hours a day--Tom Brady, Carson Palmer--but this is a non-story to most of the world. PFT only carried it because they got video of it.

Texans fans represent.:texflag:
Brady's knee injury didn't even look like it was intended. That actually looked like a fluke accident. Jared Allen made no attempt to at anything other than the side of Schaub's knee and the media coverage is completely different.

Winning would fix a lot more than the W/L column.

I've been steaming about that hit for a while. Hopefully he will at least be fined for it. I have a new hated player and I hope he gets what he deserves. Punk.

On his blog, Chester says he'd put the Texans oline up against the best in the business. He also says great oline play can be hidden by the performance of the skill players. I don't know if he was talking about the Texans or just wanted to use the word "antithesis". It was somewhat convoluted.

It's a bunch of placeholders due to availability, bad luck, and previous years of poor training.

The center is an inexperienced Denver reject that they didn't keep even though he was playing behind some old guy. Inexperienced center play can be really exposed on the road.

Briesel. Barely found his way on the team. Is playing because dude ahead of him got a bad broken leg.

Rookie left tackle and an old guy left tackle.

Pitts and Winston are the only traditionally developed players on the line. Drafted decent high. Have some experience.

Really, coming into this season, I thought Alex Gibbs was going to have to perform some miracles with this random bunch.

The play calling also does them no favors when it is heavily weighted toward repeated pass blocking.

I've been happy with Brown but certainly a rookie LT will have his struggles. I've been saying all season that we need an upgrade at C and RG. Frankly, it frustrates me that Frye hasn't been given a shot at RG. He has much more ability than Briesel and Briesel has had his share of whiffs. I thought Frye looked very good at RT this preseason and was being worked to move to RG going into the season.

I don't want to see Studdard there though, that's for sure!!

The nice thing is that interior oline isn't the most challenging position to find in the off-season for a team with a lot of cap room and it looks like a mid round pick in each of the seven rounds.

I've been happy with Brown but certainly a rookie LT will have his struggles. I've been saying all season that we need an upgrade at C and RG. Frankly, it frustrates me that Frye hasn't been given a shot at RG. He has much more ability than Briesel and Briesel has had his share of whiffs. I thought Frye looked very good at RT this preseason and was being worked to move to RG going into the season.

The nice thing is that interior oline isn't the most challenging position to find in the off-season for a team with a lot of cap room and it looks like a mid round pick in each of the seven rounds.

Frye is now a Miami Dolphin. He was claimed off the practice squad.

The "cap room" is like the Yeti or Sasquatch. I've heard a lot about both of them, and they seem to get a lot of publicity...but I don't see it in reality.

Bring me the "cap room" corpse, please.

Our President-Elect is allegedly planning to tax professional sports team owners AND the players themselves MORE, so maybe Bob McNair will let go of the extra cash that's made his franchise one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL? Maybe he'll spread it out and get rid of it, instead of hanging onto it and not using it all.

Oh, and here's my link for The Messiah who plans to tax team owners AND players to give us poor people an extra $1,000 or so each year: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3683722

QUOTE BELOW, FROM ARTICLE:

On other issues facing the sports industry, Obama views are a bit less certain. However, a review of his campaign statements and position papers as well as ESPN.com interviews with his friends and former colleagues at the University of Chicago indicate that an Obama administration is likely to:

• produce major tax increases for team owners and players;

• slow sales of professional teams;

• increase the powers of player unions;

• more vigorously enforce the requirements of Title IX;

• and begin to resolve the serious clashes between sports cable networks such as the NFL Network and the Big 10 Network and cable providers such as Comcast.

I don't think Schaub could have had any less time if there had not of even been 5 guys blocking for him. That D line of Minnys got through so fast it's sick.

BTW, anyone have doubts about Schaubs durability, just look at those clips and know he was still willing to keep playing.

DB is dead on. We have got to get the best o-line we can get or our qb's will either get shellshocked or become permanent fixtures on IR.

On his blog, Chester says he'd put the Texans oline up against the best in the business. He also says great oline play can be hidden by the performance of the skill players. I don't know if he was talking about the Texans or just wanted to use the word "antithesis". It was somewhat convoluted.

That's almost a 'thrown under the bus' comment from Pitts. He's deflecting any criticism away from the line by saying that they can be compared to the best in the NFL (which is a freakin' joke with no punchline).

I know we are supposed to just sit and watch as members of the football proletariat according to his previous statements. But, something about seeing opposing D-linemen just manhandle our o-line and blow past them on a consistent basis just sticks in this comrade's mind.

I've got respect for an original Texan. But dude is on a consistently under-performing o-line for the past seven seasons. Crap is crap, even when you put sprinkles on it.

Jared Allen is right there with Drayton Florence and Albert Haynesworth. Whatever.

Anyways, I think it's going to be telling what happens with the NFL. Did Bernard Pollack get any sort of fine?

What about he horse collar tackle on Sage at the end of the game. Am I the only one tha noticed this?

On another note, I know our Defense has been bad and we need help on every level (DE, OLB, S, C) but until we get O Lineman that can stop penetration on a regular basis we are going to have trouble keeping our QB's upright and injury free. This needs to be adressed before anything else whether that means picking up someone in FA or the draft.

That's almost a 'thrown under the bus' comment from Pitts. He's deflecting any criticism away from the line by saying that they can be compared to the best in the NFL (which is a freakin' joke with no punchline).

I know we are supposed to just sit and watch as members of the football proletariat according to his previous statements. But, something about seeing opposing D-linemen just manhandle our o-line and blow past them on a consistent basis just sticks in this comrade's mind.

I've got respect for an original Texan. But dude is on a consistently under-performing o-line for the past seven seasons. Crap is crap, even when you put sprinkles on it.

Thanks! I was trying to be nice. :)

Here are parts of the blog entry.

There are many factors that have to be considered with offensive line play. First and foremost, how well we play as a unit. That's reality, but perception is all about how many sacks we give up or penalties we get called on us. Other factors are game plan, how well we run the ball, and just the overall flow of the game.

I'm glad that has been clarified. However, I'd think playing bad as a unit is almost as ineffective as playing bad as individuals.

There is a two way street with everything. A team with really good skilled players that make a lot of plays can make an offensive line look great, but the antithesis to that is a great offensive line doesn't guarantee lots of yards and no sacks. All 11 guys on offense share the responsibility of limiting sacks. The majority falls on the linemens shoulders.

Receivers run and catch HOT routes and quarterback's have the ultimate authority of it all. On where and who we are assigned to block, making throws where they need to go and on time. Bet you never would have thought that football was this complex? As long as the quarterback play is great, like we have had, and he gets passes thrown on time, then we look great! If not, it is the complete opposite.

A) Darn those skill position players!

B) Yes, football is a complex sport. Believe it or not, many of us work in fields with even more complexity. We have big brains too; I doubt we are as dumb as you seem to think.

http://blogs.chron.com/chesterpitts/2008/11/many_factors_to_be_considered_1.html

===================
Chester is always about Chester. He could have been a team leader, or at least a leader on the o-line, but I doubt he is.

Thanks! I was trying to be nice. :)

Here are parts of the blog entry.

I'm glad that has been clarified. However, I'd think playing bad as a unit is almost as ineffective as playing bad as individuals.

A) Darn those skill position players!

B) Yes, football is a complex sport. Believe it or not, many of us work in fields with even more complexity. We have big brains too; I doubt we are as dumb as you seem to think.

http://blogs.chron.com/chesterpitts/2008/11/many_factors_to_be_considered_1.html

===================
Chester is always about Chester. He could have been a team leader, or at least a leader on the o-line, but I doubt he is.

I would like to hear his explanation of the last two plays in the Vikings game. I guess the QB should of gotten rid of the ball in that whopping .09 tenths ofa second he had before he got nailed.

It's THURSDAY after the game, and finally the Jared Allen story becomes more of a story in the mainstream media.

Vikings paper:

Jared Allen didn't mince words responding to Houston coach Gary Kubiak's claim that the Vikings defensive end made questionable dives at quarterback Matt Schaub's knees on Sunday.

Schaub suffered an injury to his medial collateral ligament on a low hit by Allen. Allen, who said he talked to Schaub after the game, denied that it was dirty.

Allen called the NFL a "grown man's sport" and bemoaned the personal foul penalty on the New York Giants' Justin Tuck for his hard hit on Dallas quarterback Brooks Bollinger last week.

"That's how we're taught to tackle people," Allen said Wednesday. "We play a violent game, and we all know when we sign our names on that dotted line that there are going to be injuries, there is going to be pain. That's what we do. It makes us feel alive. And then for us to get punished for it is kind of one of those things where you're like, 'Whatever.'

"Maybe they want to protect the quarterback because they want to say it's an offensive-driven league. Well, I don't believe in that. I play defense. I believe this is a defensive-driven league.

From the Chronic:

Texans quarterback Matt Schaub didn’t exonerate Minnesota defensive end Jared Allen when asked if he had been the victim of a cheap shot that caused him to suffer a torn medial collateral ligament in last Sunday’s 28-21 loss to the Vikings.

“Well, I think it was,” Schaub said. “The ball was already gone, and a player (Allen) went for my leg, which isn’t what they’re supposed to be doing. That’s all I can say.”
“I don’t even know who the hell he (Kubiak) is,” Allen said when Minnesota reporters asked him about the Texans’ sending the plays to the league. “He’s obviously upset he lost his quarterback, but that’s part of the game.

“To be honest, I didn’t even know he got hurt on that (second-quarter hit). He stayed in. I talked to him after the game. I asked him, ‘Are you doing all right?’ He said, ‘I got my MCL.’ I was like, ‘My bad.’ It’s never on purpose.

“I was actually slipping. I was just going to try to wrap his legs up. I said, ‘Well, you guys got my shoulder.’ ”

Guard Chester Pitts hit Allen so hard on one play the defensive end suffered a separated shoulder.

After the game, a Houston television cameraman caught Allen apologizing to Schaub.

“You all right?” Allen said to Schaub. “I didn’t mean to hit you. I didn’t mean to hit your knee like that. I came back (inaudible) falling forward. I was slipping, and I was like (expletive). If it makes you feel better, Pitts separated my shoulder.”

Personally, I think Jared Allen's head needs to be separated from his body.

He's sorry, but he's not sorry. His explanation is garbage. Whoops I slipped into hitting you low? He's not supposed to be hitting a QB low who isn't running.

I would like to hear his explanation of the last two plays in the Vikings game. I guess the QB should of gotten rid of the ball in that whopping .09 tenths ofa second he had before he got nailed.
I think you have to determine if the line played like a unit on those plays. If they were destroyed as a unit, it is a good thing. :)

It's THURSDAY after the game, and finally the Jared Allen story becomes more of a story in the mainstream media.

Vikings paper:

From the Chronic:

He's sorry, but he's not sorry. His explanation is garbage. Whoops I slipped into hitting you low? He's not supposed to be hitting a QB low who isn't running.
Gotta give Pitts his props. That's a nice shout-out from one lineman to another.

Vikings paper:

From the Chronic:

So which is it? You either are taught to tackle like that or it was an accident? He did slip on the ground and then he lunged at Schuab diving head-fist into his knee. What a piece of crap he knew what he did was wrong and he tried to be Mr Nice to make sure he was not penalized by the league and now after the tapes are sent and he thinks the hammer is coming he acts like of F'n well?

There are a whole bunch of conflicting reports and comments.

What burns me is that he knew Schaub was hurt and did it again. IMO, the first hit was probably worse, but the second one was more obviously intentional.

Way to go Pitts! :kingkong:

Its also on the front page of ESPN or NFL.com can't remember but its All saying it wasn't cheap.

Here's my writeup on it:

Jared Allen Says Low Hits on Matt Schaub Not Dirty; Schaub Ain't Buying It

It doesn't help his argument much that two low hits were "oops, my bad," when on the same day he is saying he doesn't believe in rules designed to protect the quarterback, and that causing injuries and pain makes him feel alive.

Please put a few Texans-centric comments over there early on the post. The early comments stay on the front page.

So which is it? You either are taught to tackle like that or it was an accident? He did slip on the ground and then he lunged at Schuab diving head-fist into his knee. What a piece of crap he knew what he did was wrong and he tried to be Mr Nice to make sure he was not penalized by the league and now after the tapes are sent and he thinks the hammer is coming he acts like of F'n well?

There are a whole bunch of conflicting reports and comments.

Great post.

#1 You cant say we are taught to tackle like this, and then say he was slipping which caused him to go low.

#2 Going up to Schaub an apologizing for a low hit is because he felt bad about it and knows he did something bad.

Now he wants to get all huffy because Kubiak is bringing his actions into the spotlight.

Players need to know that diving for a QB's legs is dangerous and they need to be more aware of their actions. We have rules like this for a reason. To keep the QB from getting seriously injured and sitting on the bench for a year.

Also, to respond to his "this game is defensively driven" is just stupid. The Cowboys Bucs game was really really boring. Hardly any action, just 3 and outs, punts and QB's sucking it up. People want to see big time touchdowns, and Brooks Bolinger aint giving the fans those.

http://www.sportsradio610.com/Drivetime-Players/151267

You can catch Erik Winston's take on the hit on the podcast there. I recommend listening to his show weekly, he's a great radio guy.

Thanks for the link.

In it, he says that it would have been worth a fine/expulsion to retaliate if they had seen what had happened to Schaub as it happened. But the linemen didn't see what happened at the time.

And haha, Winston mentions my YouTube. :)

Allen can lie all he wants to the public saying that the ball was still in Schaub's hand or that TWO low hits leading with the helmet were accidents that were unavoidable, but I think that the video shows that he is full of it.

And I think the first play didn't get a lot of attention at the time because it was a completion, and the TV coverage didn't do a replay of the hit. The second play got a little more attention even though it was a completion because Schaub got up limping.

I hope Allen keeps talking about it. The more he talks, the worse trouble he gets with Goodell. Goodell doesn't want any smartmouthing about league policies. Allen has already slammed NFL fines against speaking about reffing, saying it is a violation of player's First Amendment rights. (Not knowing of course, that your employer can control your speech without any violation of the First Amendment).

Allen has third-degree sprain
The News
It has been revealed that Jared Allen is dealing with a third-degree shoulder sprain, according to the Star Tribune.
Our View
That is the most serious sprain, and usually indicates a torn ligament. The elite pass rusher doesn’t know if he’ll play on Sunday against the Packers.

Allen has third-degree sprain
The News
It has been revealed that Jared Allen is dealing with a third-degree shoulder sprain, according to the Star Tribune.
Our View
That is the most serious sprain, and usually indicates a torn ligament. The elite pass rusher doesn’t know if he’ll play on Sunday against the Packers.

KarmaCop-311x322.jpg

Hey TC, Mariotti and Cowlishaw just addressed this topic on ESPN's Around the Horn. Both agreed that it was, um, less than clean.

And I think the first play didn't get a lot of attention at the time because it was a completion, and the TV coverage didn't do a replay of the hit. The second play got a little more attention even though it was a completion because Schaub got up limping.......

Actually, CBS did a little montage of the Schaub hits at about the 5:53 mark of the 2nd quarter if you DVR'ed. There's a better shot of hit #1.

It's a amazing how those TV crews can edit/copy/paste so fast....

Hey TC, Mariotti and Cowlishaw just addressed this topic on ESPN's Around the Horn. Both agreed that it was, um, less than clean.

Yeah, I saw that. Then Stat Boy Tony Reali said something like Allen had no way of knowing where the QB was. Noooooooot likely, he just spent the last few seconds trying to get to him. He knew where Schaub would likely be. (Seriously, try this) Run the video again and imagine Schaub was not there at all. Wouldn't look right.

Also, the last thing Allen saw before he himself went down was where Schaub was before he could look up enough to see Schaub again. He went right there seeing the Schaub would still be there.

The NFL needs to look into it. Going after a players legs the way he did deserves a fine and suspension.

The NFL needs to look into it. Going after a players legs the way he did deserves a fine and suspension.

They won't. Herr Goodell might be a fascist, but he certainly isn't consistent with his punishment. Ask Hines Ward, then Marshawn Lynch.

Something tells me since Allen has previous issues with the NFL (see : DUI's and fines), that he won't be as lucky as Marshawn (who is a first time offender) and Hines Ward (not too sure about him).

Could be wrong, hope I'm not though. Allen deserves a reality check, or should I say reality fine.

Forget for a second whether you think this was dirty or not. The only thing that keeps someone from a dirty play, is the fear of dirty play. That's the problem. Even the 15 yard penalty. You think Allen would trade 30 yards in penalties (had they been assessed) for that underthown ball that was obviously too much for schaub's knee to make? Hmm... 7+ pts > 30 yards. You want to make that play, fine.. we're going to chop block your ASS. I know you don't play dirty, I know you "do it right" but you also protect your own. If the opposition is going to fight dirty.. either return the favor.. or get out of the fight.

As for the play.. dirty, I don't know. I'm torn on that, because I'm not a fan of "hold back" football. I understand protecting the players, but he was on all fours before he got to Matt both times, if he stops playing, the coach yells at him.... I dunno tough call. Do I like the play? No... should we retaliate next time? YES

Mike

Something tells me since Allen has previous issues with the NFL (see : DUI's and fines), that he won't be as lucky as Marshawn (who is a first time offender) and Hines Ward (not too sure about him).

Could be wrong, hope I'm not though. Allen deserves a reality check, or should I say reality fine.

The Giants Justin Tuck was fined $7500 for roughing the Cowboys backup QB Bollinger.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/sports/football/07giants.html?_r=1&ref=football&oref=slogin

“Our job description is basically to destroy a quarterback, but you’ve got to pick and choose how to do it,” said Tuck, who said he would appeal the fine.

Justin forgot to add, pick and choose who to do it to.

Cowboys backup qb worth $7500 :hmmm: Texan starting qb should be worth maybe $1.25 to the league, you think?

Actually... I think this should have been handled by the Texan O line, but I guess that is expecting too much.

I suppose the D line could have returned the favor, but that is expecting too much also.

No heart, no fire.

This team needs Jerry Glanville, instead we have the Delia Lama.

I know, I know...I'm repeating myself.

:coffee:

The Giants Justin Tuck was fined $7500 for roughing the Cowboys backup QB Bollinger.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/sports/football/07giants.html?_r=1&ref=football&oref=slogin

“Our job description is basically to destroy a quarterback, but you’ve got to pick and choose how to do it,” said Tuck, who said he would appeal the fine.

Justin forgot to add, pick and choose who to do it to.

Cowboys backup qb worth $7500 :hmmm: Texan starting qb should be worth maybe $1.25 to the league, you think?

Actually... I think this should have been handled by the Texan O line, but I guess that is expecting too much.

I suppose the D line could have returned the favor, but that is expecting too much also.

No heart, no fire.

This team needs Jerry Glanville, instead we have the Delia Lama.

I know, I know...I'm repeating myself.

:coffee:

Yeah, the line should have removed parts of his body for that. You know Gibbs hates that they didnt. He is one of those old school guys. The only guy that came close was Briezel, who pancaked Allen and hurt his shoulder.

Forget for a second whether you think this was dirty or not. The only thing that keeps someone from a dirty play, is the fear of dirty play. That's the problem. Even the 15 yard penalty. You think Allen would trade 30 yards in penalties (had they been assessed) for that underthown ball that was obviously too much for schaub's knee to make? Hmm... 7+ pts > 30 yards. You want to make that play, fine.. we're going to chop block your ASS. I know you don't play dirty, I know you "do it right" but you also protect your own. If the opposition is going to fight dirty.. either return the favor.. or get out of the fight.

As for the play.. dirty, I don't know. I'm torn on that, because I'm not a fan of "hold back" football. I understand protecting the players, but he was on all fours before he got to Matt both times, if he stops playing, the coach yells at him.... I dunno tough call. Do I like the play? No... should we retaliate next time? YES

Mike

Good post, Mike. This is my feeling on the whole ordeal too. :)

Winston said they didn't retalitate because they didn't know about what Allen did.

Our people in the booth have access to review of plays.........where are they when things like this happen, and with whom are they communicating on the ground???..........or, during the game, are they watching reruns of Hogan's Heroes..........."I know nothing......noootthhhiiiiinnnggggg!" [Sgt. Schultz]:cool:

Allen’s wallet could get lighter

Typically, Friday has become “Pay the Piper” day for bad behavior in the NFL, when players are informed whether or not they have been fined for questionable plays. Allen, who hopes to return to practice in some capacity today, will learn his fate from the commissioner. Allen has maintained that he has never intentionally hurt another player [/B]and that he and Schaub discussed their injuries after the game and, in Allen’s opinion, left on good terms[/B].

Friends Forever..........:mcnugget:

Back