Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

UPCOMING TEXANS FREE AGENTS

Exactly

Also I'm not against drafting a CB or S, just not in the 1st rd.

3rd round DB is what I have. I think either DL, likely DT or WR will be the first 2 picks. But, with Meco wanting to fix the run game. Don't be shocked if we snag a RB as early as the 2nd. Baltimore and others showed just how vital a good run game can be. That is unless we sign Barkley as a FA. And I'm not opposed to that at all. He has had a down slide since his rookie year really. Put together a good deal of a "prove it" contract and sign him. With incentive that he will be resigned with a good deal IF he shows his rookie form.

And resign Howard and have him play his position which is T not G. And either he plays well as he improves at T. Or a young guy or FA take his spot.

3rd round DB is what I have. I think either DL, likely DT or WR will be the first 2 picks. But, with Meco wanting to fix the run game. Don't be shocked if we snag a RB as early as the 2nd. Baltimore and others showed just how vital a good run game can be. That is unless we sign Barkley as a FA. And I'm not opposed to that at all. He has had a down slide since his rookie year really. Put together a good deal of a "prove it" contract and sign him. With incentive that he will be resigned with a good deal IF he shows his rookie form.

And resign Howard and have him play his position which is T not G. And either he plays well as he improves at T. Or a young guy or FA take his spot.
Id rather have Jacobs over Barkley

Yep,

I'm not a cap guy, but the 49ers somehow managed to add Hargrave last yr and if Caerio wants to add Jones (doubtful) he could make it happen. Someone will make it happen that has less cap space available than the Texans if Caserio chooses not to make a move.
The 49ers restructured several guys to push money out a few years, that's how they made room. The Texans don't have to do that this year, but with some big contracts being signed this offseason, they should have some options to do that down the road if they need to add someone in 25 or 26. There's plenty to work with this year, just have to attract the right guys.

Howard is already under contract; but his injury is serious. CnD says only about 50% return from the injury and those that do may take 18 months to return from rehab. Howard may return in 2025, but should not be counted on for 2024. NFL rehab is probably the best money can buy, but the Texans will need to sign a tackle in free agency, or address the position in the draft.

Saquon Barkley just came off of a one-year prove it deal and reportedly was upset that the Giants did not allow those incentives to be met. Not sure he's going to want to do that again. Also when you say resign Howard, are you talking about moving some money into the future to lower his cap hit?

I value CnD's input greatly, but as far as I know, he hasn't examined Howard. For that reason only, I take his opinion with a small grain of salt. It's certainly possible he won't be back until 25, but I just don't think any of us, including CnD, can say that with any clarity.

The Texans will know a lot more in the next couple of months and will hopefully plan accordingly. They could make a pitch to Fant to stay here another year. He's not bad...not great, but he really played ok out there. For a guy off the street...can't expect anything better imho.

I value CnD's input greatly, but as far as I know, he hasn't examined Howard. For that reason only, I take his opinion with a small grain of salt. It's certainly possible he won't be back until 25, but I just don't think any of us, including CnD, can say that with any clarity.

The Texans will know a lot more in the next couple of months and will hopefully plan accordingly. They could make a pitch to Fant to stay here another year. He's not bad...not great, but he really played ok out there. For a guy off the street...can't expect anything better imho.
The numbers are what they are. If Howard makes it back then he will have beaten the odds. Of course I didn't think Howard was anything more than avg when healthy, so if his performance falls off at all, the best you can hope for is a Fant like RT and that's not good enough IMHO. The need is a high priority and this is an above avg OT class. Hopefully this need is addressed.

I think Fant going to team more likely allowing him to start..

That could be Houston.

I disagree in the sense that if fully healthy, I think Howard is a top 10 RT. Where in the top 10 not sure, probably towards the back end of that area, but that’s still a darn good RT. To me, health is the only real issue. If they think he is toast, it will need to be addressed in a major way. If it’s he will play in 24 at some point, a high end journeyman like Fant would fit the bill. What they do in FA and draft will tell us a lot about all of this.

The numbers are what they are. If Howard makes it back then he will have beaten the odds. Of course I didn't think Howard was anything more than avg when healthy, so if his performance falls off at all, the best you can hope for is a Fant like RT and that's not good enough IMHO. The need is a high priority and this is an above avg OT class. Hopefully this need is addressed.
Wow I didn't realize the potential severity of the Howard case.

OT moves drastically up the board for me if the rumours are even remotely true and as you say this is a deep class and a real opportunity. I know we've talked about some of our favourites in some other threads.

I've been eye balling us going DT or CB in the 1st but now I'd be full set on OT. Protecting CJ and giving him as much time as possible has to be priority #1 for this roster at all times.

I disagree in the sense that if fully healthy, I think Howard is a top 10 RT. Where in the top 10 not sure, probably towards the back end of that area, but that’s still a darn good RT. To me, health is the only real issue. If they think he is toast, it will need to be addressed in a major way. If it’s he will play in 24 at some point, a high end journeyman like Fant would fit the bill. What they do in FA and draft will tell us a lot about all of this.
Howard will be on the roster in 2024. They are not going to eat that dead money unless it's absolutely certain he will not play.

Wow I didn't realize the potential severity of the Howard case.

OT moves drastically up the board for me if the rumours are even remotely true and as you say this is a deep class and a real opportunity. I know we've talked about some of our favourites in some other threads.

I've been eye balling us going DT or CB in the 1st but now I'd be full set on OT. Protecting CJ and giving him as much time as possible has to be priority #1 for this roster at all times.
Just depends on who's there at 1-23. Like I said, I would have a hard time passing on Jordan Morgan.

Just depends on who's there at 1-23. Like I said, I would have a hard time passing on Jordan Morgan.
In 5 years at Arizonia, Morgan has only played LT. I'd never spend a first round draft pick with the idea of playing that pick out-of-position.

Taliesin Fagan (Oregon), JC Latham (Alabama) and Amarius Mims (Georgia) are all RTs who are projected 1st round prospects.

Mims had ankle tight rope surgery (whatever that is) in 2023.

Latham would be my choice. He's had a great career at Alabama. My only concern is his weight at 360 lbs. But he runs a 4.85 40? I find this hard to believe.

Fuaga is a close second choice.

In 5 years at Arizonia, Morgan has only played LT. I'd never spend a first round draft pick with the idea of playing that pick out-of-position.

Taliesin Fagan (Oregon), JC Latham (Alabama) and Amarius Mims (Georgia) are all RTs who are projected 1st round prospects.

Latham would be my choice. He's had a great career at Alabama. My only concern is his weight at 360 lbs. But he runs a 4.85 40? I find this hard to believe.

I think there's a zero percent chance Fuaga is still available at 23. I'd jump for absolute joy if he were but I'd be willing to bet he goes top 10.

He's personally my #1 favourite in the class, but I can understand why some have Joe Alt (Joe Alt and Fuaga are basically my 1A & 1B) or Olu Fashanu ahead of him. That said no way he's still there unless there's a medical or character red flag. Everyone is already high on him and he's basically firmly in that top 3 at this point.

Also as much as some guys might be playing LT currently they probably have RT snaps in previous college seasons.

I also really like Javon Foster out of Missouri.

I think there's a zero percent chance Fuaga is still available at 23. I'd jump for absolute joy if he were but I'd be willing to bet he goes top 10.

He's personally my #1 favourite in the class, but I can understand why some have Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu ahead of him. That said no way he's still there unless there's a medical or character red flag. Everyone is already high on him and he's basically firmly in that top 3 at this point.

Also as much as some guys might be playing LT currently they probably have RT snaps in previous college seasons.

PFF documents every game snap counts for these prospects. I believe I'm correct in saying that all of these top rated LT prospects had no game snaps at RT. I was curious about this myself in taking my first look at OT prospects, once I realized Howard was likely out for the 2024 season, making RT a high priority.

I would keep Johnston if possible. He is tied at #7 with 30 punts inside the 20 & he only played 13 games while all the punters above him played at least 16 games.

Reactions: JB

Both Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovaloua had that surgery and IIRC,Tua on both ankles. Years ago, I provided articles on it and I am fairly certain CloakNNNdagger has expounded.

PFF documents every game snap counts for these prospects. I believe I'm correct in saying that all of these top rated LT prospects had no game snaps at RT. I was curious about this myself in taking my first look at OT prospects, once I realized Howard was likely out for the 2024 season, making RT a high priority.
Oh fair i just kind of figured because that's typically what happens. Kind of wild that they were just put there and stayed for years.

We will see how he does at the Sr. Bowl. Has he been invited?

He's personally my #1 favourite in the class, but I can understand why some have Joe Alt (Joe Alt and Fuaga are basically my 1A & 1B) or Olu Fashanu ahead of him. That said no way he's still there unless there's a medical or character red flag. Everyone is already high on him and he's basically firmly in that top 3 at this point.

I could see Fuaga falling between 15-20. RT's fall somewhat. I mean Wirfs fell to 12 or 13.

I like Foster and would be very happy with a Thomas and Foster first two rds.

We will see how he does at the Sr. Bowl. Has he been invited?
I have a short list of 8 which may go in the first round. Of these, Fuaga is the only RT invite. Fautanu and Morgan are LT invites. RT Tyler Guyton is projected as a possible 2nd rounder. Houston's LT Patrick Paul could go as high as the 2nd round. And then there's a whole lot of others I haven't looked at yet.

I would be shocked if they go OT in the first round. How do you pay all these guys? Nope, not happening. If Howard is a major issue, they will go the vet route imho.

I would be shocked if they go OT in the first round. How do you pay all these guys? Nope, not happening. If Howard is a major issue, they will go the vet route imho.
I have a short list of two RTs in free agency, Mike Onwenu, who will cost about $15M, and Jermaine Eluemunor who'll go for about $7M. Then we have our own Josh Jones and Fant. I preferred the free agency route until I considered who was available.

Edit: Not Owen. The ai spelling correction did me in again.

Last edited:
Green, Scruggs,Patterson are on their rookie deals and you can get out from under Howard's albatross of a contract next off-season. Money shouldn't be the reason to not draft a RT.

I have a short list of two RTs in free agency, Mike Owen, who will cost about $15M, and Jermaine Eluemunor who'll go for about $7M. Then we have our own Josh Jones and Fant. I preferred the free agency route until I considered who was available.
Who is Mike Owen?

If they choose to go the vet route then either bring Fant back and I'm not a fan of this or bring in Trent Brown.

Caserio may choose to do what he did when he brought in Green and Jones.

Who is Mike Owen?

If they choose to go the vet route then either bring Fant back and I'm not a fan of this or bring in Trent Brown.

Caserio may choose to do what he did when he brought in Green and Jones.
I had to correct that after the spelling check changed it for me. Mike Onwenu.

Which vet?

It's too soon to know. I'm not sure we have an exact status on Howard yet. Doc notwithstanding, until I hear from the team that Howard will be out the whole season...I'm not ready to make a leap and take a 1st rd tackle when we have much, much, much bigger needs. Even if he is out next year, I'm going with a FA vet over a 1st round rookie. We have a ton of money, not to mention draft capital, tied up in the line as is. We need difference-makers elsewhere. Give me a WR, a DT, or DE at #23. Or if the right guy is there, I could see a CB or TE, but I consider both long shots. That's it. No friggin OT.

Regarding Howard, the fans will be the last to know before the team does. Since I am not Kreskin, I don't know what they do. If he is slated to come back in season, I guess they make sure they have a solid swing tackle, and if Howard isn't ready on day one, the swing (Fant?) plays RT, and they have a Heck, Jones, or another swing tackle available as the backup to the backup. Remember how fluid the o-line was all offseason, during camp, and into the season? So...asking someone to take a stab at this is an exercise in futility!

Reactions: JB
It's too soon to know. I'm not sure we have an exact status on Howard yet. Doc notwithstanding, until I hear from the team that Howard will be out the whole season...I'm not ready to make a leap and take a 1st rd tackle when we have much, much, much bigger needs. Even if he is out next year, I'm going with a FA vet over a 1st round rookie. We have a ton of money, not to mention draft capital, tied up in the line as is. We need difference-makers elsewhere. Give me a WR, a DT, or DE at #23. Or if the right guy is there, I could see a CB or TE, but I consider both long shots. That's it. No friggin OT.

Regarding Howard, the fans will be the last to know before the team does. Since I am not Kreskin, I don't know what they do. If he is slated to come back in season, I guess they make sure they have a solid swing tackle, and if Howard isn't ready on day one, the swing (Fant?) plays RT, and they have a Heck, Jones, or another swing tackle available as the backup to the backup. Remember how fluid the o-line was all offseason, during camp, and into the season? So...asking someone to take a stab at this is an exercise in futility!
It's not only if doctors say he can make it back, it's how well will he play if he makes it back.

It's not promising. But if a guy like Thomas or DeJohn falls to the Texans pick you gotta pick them. Talent over need.

It's not only if doctors say he can make it back, it's how well will he play if he makes it back.

It's not promising. But if a guy like Thomas or DeJohn falls to the Texans pick you gotta pick them. Talent over need.

So, you're taking a quarterback if he's the highest-rated guy on your board? That's just what teams say, but in the first round, you must consider needs. By day 3... you take the best guy on your board. I feel people are writing off Howard because of one person on this board who seems to think he'll have a tough go of it. And maybe he will. I highly respect doc and I'm sure he is giving his best prognosis, and ya it doesn't sound great.

All I am saying is to hold off on the funeral procession for Howard's career. We aren't there yet by a country mile. Even if it doesn't look so hot, give me a tackle on day 2. In my fantasy GM role many of us like to play for fun, I am not taking a tackle in round one under any circumstances. We'll see what Nick does - we still have about 90 days to argue about all of this!

So, you're taking a quarterback if he's the highest-rated guy on your board? That's just what teams say, but in the first round, you must consider needs. By day 3... you take the best guy on your board. I feel people are writing off Howard because of one person on this board who seems to think he'll have a tough go of it. And maybe he will. I highly respect doc and I'm sure he is giving his best prognosis, and ya it doesn't sound great.

All I am saying is to hold off on the funeral procession for Howard's career. We aren't there yet by a country mile. Even if it doesn't look so hot, give me a tackle on day 2. In my fantasy GM role many of us like to play for fun, I am not taking a tackle in round one under any circumstances. We'll see what Nick does - we still have about 90 days to argue about all of this!
Yeah teams draft based on "need" but there's also the fact we potentially have needs at multiple positions.

Yeah teams draft based on "need" but there's also the fact we potentially have needs at multiple positions.
Most teams do so the draft highest rated player at a position of need. Few are the teams that can take the true BPA (whatever that is).

I may be by myself on this thought, but I wouldn’t rule out Caserio dealing the 23rd pick for a package of RD2 and RD3 picks.

I may be by myself on this thought, but I wouldn’t rule out Caserio dealing the 23rd pick for a package of RD2 and RD3 picks.
Me also! Of course depending on who is there at 23. I am just not going to pass up on one of the elite cornerbacks or wide receivers if there. There are Elite and then very good in both of those positions available in the draft. I also have seen draft mocks with Thomas, Terrion arnold, Troy Franklin, Quinyon Mitchell, Chris Braswell and Kamren Kinchens, Patrick Paul, Nubin and Kris Abrams-Draine. I would take all if I can get enough round 2s. Lol

Too many people on social Platforms in my opinion are underestimating what we can do this offseason.

W

What it comes down to, in my opinion, is, first, are you satisfied with our run game, and second, are you satisfied with Fant's play?

PFF has Fant ranked as the 68th overall OT; 102nd in run blocking and 49th in pass blocking.

I believe we need to improve our run game. We have Patterson and Green2 coming back off IR, which should improve our interior. But RT needs upgrading. Fant is good for our backup swing tackle, but should be replaced as the starter. Heck is not the answer.

There is not much available at the position in free agency. Mike Onwenu and Jermaine Eluemunor are about it.

So for me it comes down to where in the draft should the position be addressed. If we wait for day 3, then there is no assurance the pick will be an improvement over Fant. If we want a day one starter, it needs to be one of the three RTs projected for the 1st round.

W
What it comes down to, in my opinion, is, first, are you satisfied with our run game, and second, are you satisfied with Fant's play?

PFF has Fant ranked as the 68th overall OT; 102nd in run blocking and 49th in pass blocking.

I believe we need to improve our run game. We have Patterson and Green2 coming back off IR, which should improve our interior. But RT needs upgrading. Fant is good for our backup swing tackle, but should be replaced as the starter. Heck is not the answer.

There is not much available at the position in free agency. Mike Onwenu and Jermaine Eluemunor are about it.

So for me it comes down to where in the draft should the position be addressed. If we wait for day 3, then there is no assurance the pick will be an improvement over Fant. If we want a day one starter, it needs to be one of the three RTs projected for the 1st round.

I believe RT- Amarius Mims/ Georgia (RD1) or RT- Tyler Guyton/ Oklahoma (RD1/RD2) could be the exact answer at RT for the Texans. Both of these guys have the length, wingspan, strength, athleticism, and right OL nastiness to be answers fairly quickly. Both of these guys are the best “actual” RT’s in the draft.

Most teams do so the draft highest rated player at a position of need. Few are the teams that can take the true BPA (whatever that is).
Yeah I'm just kind of illustrating that I don't love the logic of going "our biggest need is position 'x' so therefore we'll go position 'x' in the first" when the reality is they'll address needs throughout, but not necessarily in the exact order that someone would rate them as.

I could see Caserio trading down to say 1-27 and picking up an extra 3rd.
It's a funny draft because honestly I could see him trading up OR down.

He's shown the proclivity to trade up and ensure they get their guy if there's one available, but this is also the type of draft where there might not be a clear cut option at our pick and grabbing more picks would be beneficial.

Jerry Newton is someone I could see them being interested in trading up for.

It's a funny draft because honestly I could see him trading up OR down.

He's shown the proclivity to trade up and ensure they get their guy if there's one available, but this is also the type of draft where there might not be a clear cut option at our pick and grabbing more picks would be beneficial.

Jerry Newton is someone I could see them being interested in trading up for.
Depends on what he does in fa but I would give up quite a bit for Newton and I'm the guy who thinks giving Stroud weapons should be job #1. I think Newton is that good.

Rankings - vet coming off his best year
Fairbairn - a top 7 kicker
Blake - a breakout player this season
Singletary - out performed with a bad line
Nelson - vet who had a quietly good ssn

Players I would sign at 5 mill and less, solid backup options: Dalton, perryman, schultz, Noah

I would offer Greenard 12 mill at max, 3 year 36 mill. Take it or leave it. Everyone else can go. I’ve heard all year this Texans team were rookies and that wasn’t the case. We’ve had some vets with playoff experience and that combination with our good rookies led us to the playoffs. I’m glad we got playoff experience for our young guns. I have faith Demeco and Caserio will work together to grab the best players so we can make a run. I expect our defense to be top 10 next season with a top 5 offense. The futures looking bright
That's hustling backwards. This type of thinking is exactly why JJ never had adequate help in his prime. Just like letting DJ Reader walk also. They can load up for the next 3 years to jump in that window before they have to pay CJ and Anderson.

To be honest I'd let him walk, yeah he had a career year, on his contract year no less, but what about the other 3 years where he was barely average. Most draft predictions have several edges falling to us and even then there are some top tier edges coming up for FA.

Brian Burns in particular seems to want out of Carolina and with another new GM, HC and now the widely acknowledged worst owner in the NFL I can't blame him. Only sticking point his rumored price point of 30 million.
Whenever Greenard was on the field prior to this year, he was productive. Nevermind he was a covid pick and was under OB and what he thought about rookies.

Theres no doubt in anyones mind that Greenard is talented and a difference maker....thing with him will be how much will it cost to keep him now that Demeco has made him shine AND can Greenard STAY healthy....

Id love to keep Greenard seeing as how we drafted him and finally have a coaching staff that can coach up talent but again at what cost for 1 year of good production...do we get a hometown discount...doesnt sound like it.

So what can we get that will produce as much or more for the amount he's seemingly demanding? AND/OR what else could we shore up with that money if he decides to chase a payday?? Do we try to find it in FA? the draft?? Lots of variables that are gonna effect this one.

In the long run and for the best for the team I hope that Nick can work his magic and get Greenard to agree to fair contract for both the player and team and not have to worry about trying to fill his spot with someone else.

Depends on what he does in fa but I would give up quite a bit for Newton and I'm the guy who thinks giving Stroud weapons should be job #1. I think Newton is that good.
I've just been rolling through DTs a little bit and I've got to say Leonard Taylor could be the guy.

Going through his tape takes a bit of projection as he took a lot of snaps head up over the C as a true NT - Which he won't do here. That said anytime he was played at 3 tech, which is what he'd be doing here, he was an absolute monster. Looks like a one gap demon whenever he was given those types of opportunities and I could easily see him being the type of guy where we could trade down and still land.

Kind of reminds me of looking through Will Anderson tape last year where he's doing a lot of stuff that isn't relevant as he wouldn't be lined up or asked to do those things (like playing at 4i) in Houston but then the times where he is in a position that the Texans would use him in he looks amazing.

Last edited:
Back