Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

T'Vondre Sweat arrested for DWI suspicion.

Yikes, that’s dumb (if true).

I’m sure the usual suspects won’t care, but in my opinion, this shows a striking lack of judgement. Not just drinking and driving, which is dumb, but doing it right now, during what is almost certainly the most important job interview of his life is ridiculous.
This seems to happen every year, and it isn’t always a herald of future behavior.

It is stupid but I’m not convinced it has a massive impact in his future

How much alcohol does a 360 lb man have to drink to become legally intoxicated? And at 2 o'clock in the afternoon?

Hard pass on this guy.

I’d want to do a lot more background. If he drops to the 3rd round, I’m definitely taking a chance. It’s worth the risk. Look at what Philly did last year with Carter. He dropped due to personal conduct and was one of the best rookies in his class.

Yikes, that’s dumb (if true).

I’m sure the usual suspects won’t care, but in my opinion, this shows a striking lack of judgement. Not just drinking and driving, which is dumb, but doing it right now, during what is almost certainly the most important job interview of his life is ridiculous.
Where has your way of thinking gotten this franchise over the last 2 decades?

Odds are in Williamson County he will beat the rap.

This seems to happen every year, and it isn’t always a herald of future behavior.

It is stupid but I’m not convinced it has a massive impact in his future
Yep, he will become a Chief next to Chris Jones and the Chiefs dynasty will continue. If every player that gets a DWI and hasn't even been convicted yet is off the Texans draft board then you can expect more of what has happened over the last 20 yrs plus to continue. Dude can play and what he can provide is a huge need for the Texans, That's what should matter, but some around these parts are wanting a Sunday church social type team instead of the type of team that can bring a Lombardi to Kirby.

’d want to do a lot more background. If he drops to the 3rd round, I’m definitely taking a chance. It’s worth the risk.
Sweat is not Carter. And he probably already had a 3rd round grade on many boards because he has not shown pass rush ability. As far as the Texans are concerned, it's less about the crime and more about Sweat's lack of dedication to the game. That's not what they are looking for.
Booked in Travis County.

Last edited:
Steel, I can't speak for everyone, but I've thought for a long time that he sacrifices a lot, maybe too much - effort, which could result as - the stifling of any dominance that could be a blessing to the QB, WR's, or RB's . I think he's become too focused on preventing his own injuries, at the price of playmakers .... of which, we have acquired many !
Yet last yr he was basically playing on one leg and was still a top 4-5 OT in the NFL. Trust me, if Caserio/Ryans felt the way you do Tunsil wouldn't be on the roster. He still is on the roster and has earned his money according to Caserio/Ryans and I will choose to trust their judgement when it comes to evaluating talent. Ryans knows the type of players he wants on his team and Tunsil is one of his guys no matter how much of a certain faction of the fan base cant stand this fact.

Reactions: JB
I’d want to do a lot more background. If he drops to the 3rd round, I’m definitely taking a chance. It’s worth the risk. Look at what Philly did last year with Carter. He dropped due to personal conduct and was one of the best rookies in his class.
Sweat is not Carter. And he probably already had a 3rd round grade on many boards because he has not shown pass rush ability. As far as the Texans are concerned, it's lees about the crime and more about Sweat's lack of dedication to the game. That's not what they are looking for.

Booked in Travis County.
A weight problem, especially if associated with an alcohol problem, is much less likely to be controlled than a "conduct" problem that was not tied to alcohol or drugs.

Where has your way of thinking gotten this franchise over the last 2 decades?
For starters, I never said I wouldn't draft him because of this; I just said it was dumb. Which it is.

Secondly, drafting poor character (if this is true) players doesn't make your team better or worse automatically. It just changes the calculus a bit, as GMs/front offices now have to determine whether or not a player's ability makes the potential disruption(s) worth it.

Whether you like it or not, this is a data point in that calculation.

If he's innocent, I hope he does. If he's guilty, then I hope he doesn't. There is no place on the road for drunk drivers, no matter how young or good at football they may be.

I like a lot of what LZ does, but this seems like a good bit of speculation to me
Not sure what you need to hear. "So & so with the Texans told me that Sweat is now off their draft board." Zierlein won't say that even if it happened. He knows the people in the building and his guess is more informed than others.

For starters, I never said I wouldn't draft him because of this; I just said it was dumb. Which it is.

Secondly, drafting poor character (if this is true) players doesn't make your team better or worse automatically. It just changes the calculus a bit, as GMs/front offices now have to determine whether or not a player's ability makes the potential disruption(s) worth it.

Whether you like it or not, this is a data point in that calculation.

If he's innocent, I hope he does. If he's guilty, then I hope he doesn't. There is no place on the road for drunk drivers, no matter how young or good at football they may be.
Lets just say we look at things a little differently and move on. We've discussed the DWI thing in the past and I'm of the thought that kids make mistakes and I believe in 2nd chances. This is in addition to my thinking of the state lowering the legal limit so that they can make more revenue is also wrong.

Not sure what you need to hear. "So & so with the Texans told me that Sweat is now off their draft board." Zierlein won't say that even if it happened. He knows the people in the building and his guess is more informed than others.
I understand all that, but it would be an odd message for the FO to be feeding a reported when they just signed Mixon and have extended Tunsil in the past (two pretty high-profile cases of guys being f'n idiots). To be clear, I don't have a problem with the Mixon signing and this incident doesn't really change my opinion on Sweat.

Last edited:
Probably safely in the minority on that. Bad behavior prior to draft is usually punished on draft weekend. Rightly so, IMHO.
Punished is fine, but to completely remove him from the board seems much, and a touch hypocritical at worst.

Given the number of top 30 visits with Tackles, I'd say they'll be drafting one in the top 90. Also, with all the contact with Kamara and McCaffrey, I'd be surprised if the Texans didn't pick them both.

Plenty of prospects are removed from draft boards due to medical concerns. How would this be any different?
So by saying this is a medical issue and not a lapse in judgement, you are saying he's an acholic/addict. If teams have evidence of that, then I can understand removing him from the board; but that seems like a little bit of a leap to me

Ten beers over 2 hours.

The problem beyond what people are even thinking is that this is likely a major contributor to his inability to keep his weight controlled.
A weight problem, especially if associated with an alcohol problem, is much less likely to be controlled than a "conduct" problem that was not tied to alcohol or drugs.
Interested teams have a fresh set of questions to pose to T’Vondre Sweat
By Mike Florio

Published April 8, 2024 10:47 AM

Sunday’s news that former Texas defensive tackle T’Vondre Sweat was arrested for DWI raises plenty of questions. It will be incumbent on any team that is interested in Sweat to seek answers to those questions — and to hope those answers can be trusted.

For starters, how and why was Sweat allegedly driving drunk at 2:00 in the afternoon on a Sunday? Any team thinking about drafting Sweat needs to know the full explanation for that.

Also, they need to know how much alcohol he consumed. We’ve all seen the BAC chart, which shows the intersection between body weight and number of drinks. The more someone weighs, the more booze it takes to get them to the legal limit of 0.08 percent.

Sweat weighs 366 pounds. To get to 0.08 percent BAC, that’s a lot of alcohol.

How much will he admit to drinking? And if he tries to say he just had a couple of beers, it’s safe to assume he’s not telling the truth.

The more important assessment to make on Sweat is whether he has learned his lesson or whether he might do it again. How can a team justify bringing to its community someone who might drink excessive alcohol (especially given his body weight) and then drive a car?

After the Packers signed receiver Koren Robinson, who blew his second chance in Minnesota by driving both drunk and really fast as he tried to avoid cops, a reporter asked then-G.M. Ted Thompson a very pointed but appropriate question: “Ted, what if he kills somebody in this state? Driving drunk or speeding away from cops?”

Whoever drafts Sweat needs to be confident that he won’t literally kill someone by driving drunk. It’s a fair concern. To the extent that NFL teams accept public money and public support while engaging in an inherently public enterprise, there’s a responsibility to not endanger the public.

And Sweat can only blame himself for getting behind the wheel while drinking enough to allegedly get a guy his size over the legal limit, especially when he’s only 18, 19, or 20 days away from being drafted.

Keep in mind Sweat's BMI is an extremely hefty 49 (30 is considered obese..........40 morbidly obese). Some have questioned the validity of BMI in assessing weight.........but that question becomes mute at a BMI of 49.

Florio brings up the point that a fat player will have a greater tolerance to alcohol. Most people would not understand that this is not exactly accurate. A drinking fat player is more likely to be severely brain impaired earlier than his leaner counterpart.

Impact of Body Weight and Body Type on BAC Levels

A person's body weight and body type are factors which have an impact on blood alcohol concentration. In general, the less you weigh the more you will be affected by a given amount of alcohol because the alcohol has less room to spread out, making the concentration higher. As detailed above, alcohol has an affinity for water, so the more water there is in which to distribute the alcohol, the lower the blood alcohol concentration will be. Basically a person's blood alcohol concentration is a function of the total amount of alcohol in the person's system divided by total body water. Therefore, if two individuals with different weights but similar body fat compositions consume the same amount of alcohol, the larger individual will achieve lower alcohol concentrations than the smaller one because there is more room for the alcohol to spread out.

To illustrate this point consider the following: imagine a drop of blue dye is put into both a shot glass and a gallon jug which are both full of water. The concentration of blue dye per unit of measurement in the smaller container (the shot glass) will be greater (the water will be more blue) than in the larger container (the gallon jug) because there is less space for the dye to spread out. Larger people are simply larger containers than smaller people, so assuming the same quantity of alcohol is ingested, smaller people will be expected to reach a higher blood alcohol concentration than larger people.

Similarly, if two people of the same weight consume the same amount of alcohol, a person with a higher percentage of fat will be reach a higher peak blood alcohol concentration than a lean, muscular individual because fatty tissue does not contain very much water and will not absorb very much alcohol, making the concentration in the rest of the body [most importantly, the brain] higher for the person with the higher percentage of fat.

Yep, he will become a Chief next to Chris Jones and the Chiefs dynasty will continue. If every player that gets a DWI and hasn't even been convicted yet is off the Texans draft board then you can expect more of what has happened over the last 20 yrs plus to continue. Dude can play and what he can provide is a huge need for the Texans, That's what should matter, but some around these parts are wanting a Sunday church social type team instead of the type of team that can bring a Lombardi to Kirby.

Didn’t know the Sunday church social types were the only ones smart enough not to drink and drive. Dumb as a box of rocks like you’ve said about others… smh

Plenty of DTs to choose from.

Didn’t know the Sunday church social types were the only ones smart enough not to drink and drive. Dumb as a box of rocks like you’ve said about others… smh

Plenty of DTs to choose from.
Do you want the best DT or do you want to settle?

BTW, I would pick Fiske or Hall over Sweat because I would love to see WA, Autry, Fiske Or Hall, Hunter rush the passer on 3rd downs and I think Fukasi and Settle can be the run stoppers Ryans is looking for.

So if Sweat has enough of a reputation as a "partier" that was being addressed in visits with teams before, adding a DWI to that MIGHT be a sign that he is not just another college kid partying too much and has a real problem.

We just had a similar thing with Stetson Bennet last off season where he later missed the season for non-football reasons. If you are supposed to be prepping for the biggest few weeks of you life and NOT Not drinking is a thing then that dude might want to some serious evaluation of himself.

Why do you say rightfully so?
Why wouldn't I? If you had a choice of employees, would you choose from the pool of those without criminal behavior? Do you want a known drunk driver representing your business? Would that person be worthy of the opportunity and subsequent training?

Sometimes, you don't know. You could very well draft a drug or alcohol abuser that yet to show himself. In the case of Sweat, you know. If I'm a NFL organization, he's made my filtering process easier by a factor of one player. A NFL draft choice is an extremely valuable asset to an organization. It's not just the money you're paying them. It's not that their contracts are cheaper than veterans. It's the time and effort bringing them up to become a winning NFL player. Why bring a flawed person into the organization when there are plenty that are not?

Why wouldn't I? If you had a choice of employees, would you choose from the pool of those without criminal behavior? Do you want a known drunk driver representing your business? Would that person be worthy of the opportunity and subsequent training?

Sometimes, you don't know. You could very well draft a drug or alcohol abuser that yet to show himself. In the case of Sweat, you know. If I'm a NFL organization, he's made my filtering process easier by a factor of one player. A NFL draft choice is an extremely valuable asset to an organization. It's not just the money you're paying them. It's not that their contracts are cheaper than veterans. It's the time and effort bringing them up to become a winning NFL player. Why bring a flawed person into the organization when there are plenty that are not?
So I guess you wouldn't have drafted Kelce, Jeff Simmons, Hill, Carter, any number of HOF guys like Marino ,Sapp, Taylor, Irvin, Haley etc...

They've tried for over 2 decades to operate the way you want them to with little success. It's past time for change down on Kirby. BTW, I don't think Sweat is a good fit in Ryans defense.

Last edited:
I understand all that, but it would be an odd message for the FO to be feeding a reported when they just signed Mixon and have extended Tunsil in the past (two pretty high-profile cases of guys being f'n idiots). To be clear, I don't have a problem with the Mixon signing and this incident doesn't really change my opinion on Sweat.

Came here to say this.

How can the Texans remove a player from their board when the said a rookie Mixon would’ve been drafted by them, ended up trading for him, and also traded for Tunsil who had his draft day mishap.

I don’t think Caserio is dumb like that.

I don’t care one way or the other. Just want the Texans to build the best team instead of PR choices.

So I guess you wouldn't have drafted Kelce, Jeff Simmons, Hill, Carter, any number of HOF guys like Marino ,Sapp, Taylor, Irvin, Haley etc...

They've tried for over 2 decades to operate the way you want them to with little success. It's past time for change down on Kirby. BTW, I don't think Sweat is a good fit in Ryans defense.
Why isn't Sweat a fit? What is more important in being a fit? Is production important? Or is athletism more important? Or what?

In 2022 Ryans had Kevin Givens at RDT; 6'1"/285. He had 3 sacks and 1hit for the year. And 15 tackles.

In 2021 Givens had 1 sack and 3 hits for the year.And 19 tackles.

Small DTs don't seem to provide serious QB pressure.

How can the Texans remove a player from their board when the said a rookie Mixon would’ve been drafted by them, ended up trading for him, and also traded for Tunsil who had his draft day mishap.
What? You're normally more coherent than this at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.

Punished is fine, but to completely remove him from the board seems much, and a touch hypocritical at worst.
Someone Upstream said that Captain likes intelligent people. This would seem to eliminate Sweat. DWI is more than having 10 beers in your dorm room or even at a club then catching a ride home. It's intentionally deciding to drive and drive the same month that you are expecting to get hired for a couple million dollars. Sure young people do stupid things but this is the thing that could have resulted in several injuries or death. It is similar in my mind as someone getting arrested for DWI knowing that in a couple of weeks they will be hired by Mothers Against Drunk Driving. It just doesn't look good.
Another recent example of NFL player stupidity was Rashee Rice in the Lamborghini rental versus his own Corvette.

What? You're normally more coherent than this at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.

[

Similarly, if two people of the same weight consume the same amount of alcohol, a person with a higher percentage of fat will be reach a higher peak blood alcohol concentration than a lean, muscular individual because fatty tissue does not contain very much water and will not absorb very much alcohol, making the concentration in the rest of the body [most importantly, the brain] higher for the person with the higher percentage of fat.

I am drinking while having fatty tissue. Don’t blame me - blame science!

Came here to say this.

I don’t think Caserio is dumb like that.

I don’t care one way or the other. Just want the Texans to build the best team instead of PR choices.
PR choices can effect the bottom line.
The McNairs are very aware and that's not limited to beer. Owning a sports team is not just about wins like it could be to the fans.

I’ve changed my mind on Sweat. I would take him off my board. The risk is very high. Remember who went just ahead of JJ Watt? Total alcoholic and out of the league in short order.

But beyond that…I didn’t realize this was 2 pm on a Sunday. That’s not exactly “party time” for most college kids. Considering his size, it’s also not I had a couple of beers with the guys. This is serious alcohol guzzling mid afternoon on a Sunday…then getting in a weapon on wheels and tooling around without a care in the world less than 3 weeks where you expect some team to reign a few million dollars on you. He could have killed someone..including himself.

This is a huge red flag. There’s levels of stupid, and this is red alert, level 10 stupidity. Maybe he’ll learn his lesson..and maybe he won’t. Considering the facts here, I lean toward not. If there was real,justice in the world, teams would totally pass and he’d have to sell insurance. You want to send a message to future players…that would do it. But we all know talent masks even the worst among us. But I personally want nothing to do with him. Let his fat alcoholic ass go represent another team and city. We can and should do better.

I’ve changed my mind on Sweat. I would take him off my board. The risk is very high. Remember who went just ahead of JJ Watt? Total alcoholic and out of the league in short order.

But beyond that…I didn’t realize this was 2 pm on a Sunday. That’s not exactly “party time” for most college kids. Considering his size, it’s also not I had a couple of beers with the guys. This is serious alcohol guzzling mid afternoon on a Sunday…then getting in a weapon on wheels and tooling around without a care in the world less than 3 weeks where you expect some team to reign a few million dollars on you. He could have killed someone..including himself.

This is a huge red flag. There’s levels of stupid, and this is red alert, level 10 stupidity. Maybe he’ll learn his lesson..and maybe he won’t. Considering the facts here, I lean toward not. If there was real,justice in the world, teams would totally pass and he’d have to sell insurance. You want to send a message to future players…that would do it. But we all know talent masks even the worst among us. But I personally want nothing to do with him. Let his fat alcoholic ass go represent another team and city. We can and should do better.
[/QUOTE

News Flash

College kids get drunk and do stupid things.

Who would've thunk it?

T’Vondre Sweat’s Mother
T’Vondre Sweat’s mother goes by the name Lashunda Ross. If you’re wondering where Sweat got his upper body strength from, it was his mother who advised him to eat more. According to ABC13, Lashunda gave great advice to her son and said: "If you're hungry, you have to eat," Lashunda recalled saying to her son. "You can't starve. So when you get on that field, you have to eat." The result? Sweat went from a small little guy to 362 pounds and stands at 6 foot 4 inches.

His mother probably should have also taught him what to eat and when to stop.......... :tiphat:

4:41 AM makes much more sense than 2:12 PM..............a long hot Saturday night of partying and drinking! :toropalm:

T’Vondre Sweat’s arrest for DWI followed a wreck early Sunday morning

Published April 8, 2024 09:44 PM

Former Texas defensive tackle T’Vondre Sweat’s arrest for driving while intoxicated stemmed from a wreck early Sunday morning.

Josh Newman of LoneStarLive.com, via a police statement, reports that Austin Police Department officers responded to a crash between an SUV and a sedan on North IH 35 SB at 4:41 a.m. Sunday morning.

Sweat, who was driving the SUV, was arrested for DWI. The other driver immediately left the scene of the crash on foot.

Sweat was booked into Travis County Jail at 2:12 p.m. Sunday, and he posted a $3,000 bond two hours later.

In Texas, a Class B misdemeanor is punishable by up to 180 days in jail, a fine of up to $2,000, or both.

Sweat is set to meet with the Titans and Seahawks this week, leaving them to answer questions about his behavior only two weeks before the draft.

History?

Coming out of the courthouse after a strenuous workout, with the towel around his head, Sweat was demonstrating his new commitment to maintaining optimum conditioning..............:thinking:

Who was the player that was in the car accident racing that killed people? Jalen Green? Didn’t he leave the scene too? I can’t remember the specifics.

That kid was drafted high. I don’t see this affecting Sweat.

I still cannot find the logic in the following:
- Tunsil had his pre-draft incident, Houston gave up draft capitol and paid him
- Mixon was "draftable" by the Texans, and still worth trading for and extending
- Sweat has a DWI arrest, not a conviction; and he becomes un-draftable

These dots just don't connect in my head.

Back