Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

TV coverage of Houston teams

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
For this weekend you can get both Roughnecks and Gamblers on broadcast TV.

Saturday, Roughnecks vs. Vipers, 11:30am, on ABC.

Sunday, Gamblers vs. Panthers, 11AM, on NBC.

For this weekend you can get both Roughnecks and Gamblers on broadcast TV.

Saturday, Roughnecks vs. Vipers, 11:30am, on ABC.

Sunday, Gamblers vs. Panthers, 11AM, on NBC.
Awesome! Thanks for posting this

If the Roughnecks win today and the Renegades lose, then the Roughnecks win the division. Roughnecks and Renegades play in Arlington next week, the last week of the season, and if the roughnecks lose today AND next week, they miss the playoffs.

If the Roughnecks win today and the Renegades lose, then the Roughnecks win the division. Roughnecks and Renegades play in Arlington next week, the last week of the season, and if the roughnecks lose today AND next week, they miss the playoffs.
ESPN is showing the Roughnecks have already clinched a playoff berth
https://www.espn.com/xfl/standings

I've watched a bit of the Fox broadcast of the USFL today, and so far it's a much better "presentation" of football than the XFL. It looks like a more normal TV football game without all the extra horsecrap the XFL broadcasts have.

So it was a no?

This first game, the Gamblers offense was a turnover machine. They'll definitely have to get that fixed. The offense shows lots of signs of life, but they keep turning it over.

• Sad
Reactions: JB
This weekend's schedule for the Houston teams:

USFL: Saturday, Houston at New Orleans, 11:30 a.m. on USA channel

XFL: Sunday, Houston at Arlington, 2 PM on ESPN

Working out about like I thought it would, at least for me. Some mild interest at first, even been to a couple of Roughnecks games, but haven't watched a single down since week 2. And I have no interest at all in a Houston team that has never played a game in Houston.

Working out about like I thought it would, at least for me. Some mild interest at first, even been to a couple of Roughnecks games, but haven't watched a single down since week 2. And I have no interest at all in a Houston team that has never played a game in Houston.
The USFL is taking a sensible approach. A solid football league made for TV for the first two seasons has a better chance at surviving. Meanwhile, leagues taking an XFL like approach have quickly folded. I will appreciate good football on TV for a few seasons if it means that football will last beyond a couple of seasons.

The USFL is taking a sensible approach. A solid football league made for TV for the first two seasons has a better chance at surviving. Meanwhile, leagues taking an XFL like approach have quickly folded. I will appreciate good football on TV for a few seasons if it means that football will last beyond a couple of seasons.

If either one of the leagues can survive for a few years, their organizations will get better, some of the players will be returning to the same team and playing better together, and it all adds up to stability and a better product. It'll still be minor league players, but it will be better play.

I think it would be a frigging unheard of miracle of some kind if both these leagues continue to survive into the future. It would be nice if they did though.

For those not paying attention (probably most of the board) the Gamblers lost today, opening their season at 0-2. Their offense can spark at times, but is inconsistent. From what I saw, a pee wee league team could run the ball on the Gamblers defense.

If either one of the leagues can survive for a few years, their organizations will get better, some of the players will be returning to the same team and playing better together, and it all adds up to stability and a better product. It'll still be minor league players, but it will be better play.

I think it would be a frigging unheard of miracle of some kind if both these leagues continue to survive into the future. It would be nice if they did though.

That's just it though. Neither of these leagues are about getting players and building something with them. These are minor leagues. Good players will get signed by NFL teams and those XFL/USFL teams will have to rebuild their rosters every year. So it's never going to be a better product so to speak. It's just minor league football, and that's fine. Minor league baseball thrives and I don't watch that either.

So with a record of 7-3, Roughnecks win the South Division. They will host a playoff game next weekend against Arlington. Apparently the two best teams in a division go to the playoffs (and NOT the two best teams in the league after the division winners), so Arlington with a 4-6 record makes it to the playoffs and will come to Houston next weekend.

I forgot to watch any of the minor league games this weekend because of the draft and stuff. Roughnecks lose their playoff game and the Gamblers do their usual losing. Minor league season just got boring unless the Gamblers can pick it up.

• Sad
So this Sunday at 3PM on FOX is the Generals (2-3) and Gamblers (3-2).

Gamblers have been looking good lately, on a three game winning streak. Generals sliding, lost their last two.

Man, Gamblers defense looking good. The uni’s looked awesome. The fan turnout in Memphis, TN was awful. These teams need to be playing in front of their home fans, otherwise this could be a 2 and done league. They need to sale these teams as franchises and let new owners build the image much like MiLB does. It’ll take time but it could be highly successful in the long run.

Sunday, 1:30 PM on USA Gamblers vs Showboats. If you have Peacock you can get the game there as well, no broadcast this weekend. The Gamblers are 4-2 and the Showboats 3-3. The Gamblers are on a 4 game winning streak, the Showboats are on a 3 game winning streak. Somebody's winning streak is coming to an end. LOL

Man, Gamblers defense looking good. The uni’s looked awesome. The fan turnout in Memphis, TN was awful. These teams need to be playing in front of their home fans, otherwise this could be a 2 and done league. They need to sale these teams as franchises and let new owners build the image much like MiLB does. It’ll take time but it could be highly successful in the long run.

Do you think Houston will support (ticket sales) two minor league teams? If there were only just one, I'd say yes. I'm not sure about two. But it's nice to have both the Roughnecks and the Gamblers playing.

I hope the Roughnecks redesign their helmets for next year. LOL

Roughnecks average attendance for 2023 was just under 12,000 a game.

Do you think Houston will support (ticket sales) two minor league teams? If there were only just one, I'd say yes. I'm not sure about two. But it's nice to have both the Roughnecks and the Gamblers playing.

I hope the Roughnecks redesign their helmets for next year. LOL

I’m with you on the Roughnecks helmets. As for fan support….if one’s winning or both, fans will support one or the other…..or both, if they’re winning.

My wife and I are looking forward to finally coming home for retirement. I’ll get a chance to support the Roughnecks, Gamblers, and Space Cowboys.

Roughnecks average attendance for 2023 was just under 12,000 a game.

The Roughnecks won and they were the only team actually in town. I think the 12,000 range on average, give or take 2K, is about as good as it’s gonna get.

If the Gamblers ever start actually playing games in Houston, I can’t imagine them doing much better.

Gamblers were leading with less than a minute to go and then lose on a bonehead lack-of-effort defensive play. I thought I was watching the Texans for a moment there. LOL

Here's the current standings after this weekend.

1685325533257.png

No broadcast for this weeks Gambler game.....again. You'll need the USA channel. It's at 11AM Saturday, and they're playing the Pittsburgh Maulers who just aren't a good team, even for the USFL. Houston needs this game to keep up in their division.

Man, Bahar’s throwing motion just about makes Bernie Kosar’s throwing motion look like Warren Moon’s over the shoulder release. Which CFB coach allowed him to keep using that motion?

At least the Gamblers won. Really like that big RB (6-2 @ 235 lbs), Mark Thompson.

The Gamblers lost today and looked miserable doing it. They really need to work on their offense next season. Other than a decent RB, they haven't really got much.

No broadcast for the last game, you'll need FS1. It's at 3PM Sunday against the Breakers. The Gamblers have to win this game to make it to the playoffs. Playoffs start next weekend.

Oops, Gamblers lost and end up 5-5 for the season and no playoff game.

So now the regular season is over with with the last game this evening, USFL playoffs start next weekend. Both the XFL and the USFL have both apparently survived this entire season and both could be back in some form next year. I don't see how with all the empty stadiums, but we'll have to wait and see if there is a next year for either or both leagues. Frankly, I'm amazed they survived this long. One minor league I could see, but two of them? I don't see how the market will support two football minor leagues, we shall see.

Oops, Gamblers lost and end up 5-5 for the season and no playoff game.

So now the regular season is over with with the last game this evening, USFL playoffs start next weekend. Both the XFL and the USFL have both apparently survived this entire season and both could be back in some form next year. I don't see how with all the empty stadiums, but we'll have to wait and see if there is a next year for either or both leagues. Frankly, I'm amazed they survived this long. One minor league I could see, but two of them? I don't see how the market will support two football minor leagues, we shall see.

The only way I see them surviving is if they become affiliated with the NFL. The NFL's version of the NBA G League.

Back