Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Troubling Schaub postgame quotes

Seriously?

Kubes cannot carry Payton's jock at this time.

Payton was built a team that respects him. One that actually buys into him and goes along with it.

Payton learned things from Parcells and established himself as an individual

Kubes seems to still be riding Shanahan/Elway's coat tails

Because you say so.. :rolleyes:

Schaub is methodical.

Brees is a buzzsaw.

And when Brees zaps a defense and gets the Saints ahead by a few scores, it's like the Colts and what they do to other teams: They make the opponent get away from a game plan.

Which is why a mistake such as Trindon Holliday's was a nail in the coffin.

Our guys were not focused to begin with, but when Trin lost the ball and the Saints went up 14-0 you could see that old familiar rain cloud form and hover over the heads of our entire team. It was as plain as day.

I like Schaub, but our offense is either stringing out long drives and eating up clock...or it's 3-and-out and giving the other team chances to score too much.

I really wonder what would have happened if we had landed Drew Brees. Would fate work out differently? These are ideas that you don't let linger too long in your head.

Seriously?

Kubes cannot carry Payton's jock at this time.

Payton was built a team that respects him. One that actually buys into him and goes along with it.

Payton learned things from Parcells and established himself as an individual

Kubes seems to still be riding Shanahan/Elway's coat tails

That statement does not jive with what has been said by the players and the people around the team. Nor does it jive with the way the players have responded when his job was in jeopardy. I know that Payton has out coached Kubiak, but to put out the idea that his players don't fight for him is ludicrous.

You suggested to go back to the 2005 Saints roster, right? I thought you would know how many of those players were still with the team.

Will Smith - DE
Jon Stinchcomb - RT
Devery Henderson - WR

Three solid players. Now, would you trade all 3 for one Andre Johnson? I wouldn't, either. So, you can't say that Payton walked into a stacked deck and Kubiak had bare bones. They both have done a tremendous job of rebuilding their respective rosters. Payton has done the better job of coaching. That's really indisputable.

How different would things have been, had Payton been forced to make one good faith effort with Aaron Brooks?

How different would it have been, if all the veteran leaders were removed from that team before the 2005 season?

How different would it have been if the Saints were in the NFC East, Where the Eagles consistently fielded a Super Bowl contender year in and year out, and the other two teams were built to beat that team, and were getting close? (I don't know that the Eagles were that team, but it's the closest I can think of to the Colts)

I know they look like excuses. But the fact is, the situations are/were totally different.

Despite all that, Kubiak has built a much younger team, that is as good offensively, and stat-wise, better defensively.

Not saying that Gary is a better coach (winning games definitely plays a big part in that). Just saying given the circumstances, Gary has performed in some areas as well as Peyton has.

Despite all that, Kubiak has built a much younger team, that is as good offensively, and stat-wise, better defensively.

I don't know about the "as good as offensively"

I think the Texans offense is too one-dimensional and reliant on the passing game whereas the Saints have a strong running game and the screen game is one that I think we've become one of the best in the league. We've got the OLine with the athleticism and tenacity that enables us to do a lot in the running/screen game.

I think there's a pretty big gap.

If you're using stats to separate the two defensive squads, then I think some consistency is in order for the offensive comparison.

The Saints running game was 6th in the NFL last year while the Texans ranked 30th, with twice as many fumbles.

There's no doubt that the passing attack is in the league's upper echelon. I think that's true of both teams.

I just think that the differences in the running game is too great to argue that they the teams are "as good as each other offensively"

How different would things have been, had Payton been forced to make one good faith effort with Aaron Brooks?

How different would it have been, if all the veteran leaders were removed from that team before the 2005 season?

How different would it have been if the Saints were in the NFC East, Where the Eagles consistently fielded a Super Bowl contender year in and year out, and the other two teams were built to beat that team, and were getting close? (I don't know that the Eagles were that team, but it's the closest I can think of to the Colts)

I know they look like excuses. But the fact is, the situations are/were totally different.

Not saying that Gary is a better coach (winning games definitely plays a big part in that). Just saying given the circumstances, Gary has performed in some areas as well as Peyton has.

Must spread rep.

just curious what you're basing this on? I don't know much about stats - and if it's based on that, then okay..

if it's statistically related - that's fine. I don't mind conceding in the face of numbers. And I lack the time and inclination to start crunching numbers - so I'm cool with that.

Basically statistically related. Across the board the Texans improved more spots on D under Bush than the Saints did under Williams with the exception of turnovers. Most of those turnovers came off of Sharper having an aberrant season. That's great but fundamentally Bush improved the Texans D more. Both are high offense teams and it worked out for the Saints and congrats. What I was responding to was the idea that somehow if Williams had been here the Texans would have been soooooo much better and there is nothing but speculation to assert that and the discernible facts point to the contrary.

I don't know about the "as good as offensively"

RazorOye, you've got good points, you make good posts, but this has nothing to do with you.

The argument isn't really that we are as good as the Saints in any facet of the game, the true issue, is that some people are going on about losing a preseason game as if it were the end of the world.

Start another thread, if you'd like to go back & forth with me about the merits of your team, or about the similarities between the two teams.

I mean you no disrespect, but this is not about the Saints.

I'm using them for examples, and they aren't really very good ones. So far, you are the only one calling them out, and it really doesn't add or subtract from the topic of this discussion.

What I was responding to was the idea that somehow if Williams had been here the Texans would have been soooooo much better and there is nothing but speculation to assert that and the discernible facts point to the contrary.

fair enough - point taken

I would agree - I don't think that Williams worked some sort of miracle that would've made a much bigger difference in Houston. I don't think he'd be a magic wand or anything.

But I did want to point out the considerable contrast in our defense under Gibbs vs under Williams.

As for Sharper's season - it's not a complete aberration.

Rather, it was the product of our starting cornerbacks.

Porter and Greer allowed Sharper to roam centerfield. He was able to do what he does best - read the QB. Mislead the QB and bait him - particularly new/inexperienced QBs.

When Porter and Greer missed time, he had to play more coverage and help out the corners that were in as replacements.

His role changed.

And his age showed.

It was a conscious effort on the part of Williams to redesign the offense to play to strengths. Unfortunately, that strength hinges on the health of Porter and Greer.

And that's also part of the reason the Saints drafted another CB in the first round this year.

I think the prospect of putting Sharper - coming off an injury and another year older, no less - in that same role this year has him wary.

I would be too, considering the difference in Sharper's play last year.

The argument isn't really that we are as good as the Saints in any facet of the game

my mistake then - I thought this:

was a statement on the issue of how good the Texans are, comparatively speaking, with respect to the Saints.

That's why I chimed in. I can go back to lurking. That's fine.

the true issue, is that some people are going on about losing a preseason game as if it were the end of the world.

fair enough -

And I was just trying to add some context to the references to the Saints to help clarify the picture (e.g. when I talked about the dominance of Evans and Nicks and how that impacted the efficacy of the Texans interior DLine - I thought it would add to the discussion and help ameliorate the doom and gloom a bit)

and it really doesn't add or subtract from the topic of this discussion.

my bad

I thought I was adding something to the topic - but if not, like I said, I don't mind ducking out and going back to lurking.

Peace -

my mistake then - I thought this:

was a statement on the issue of how good the Texans are, comparatively speaking, with respect to the Saints.

That's why I chimed in. I can go back to lurking. That's fine.

fair enough -

And I was just trying to add some context to the references to the Saints to help clarify the picture (e.g. when I talked about the dominance of Evans and Nicks and how that impacted the efficacy of the Texans interior DLine - I thought it would add to the discussion and help ameliorate the doom and gloom a bit)

my bad

I thought I was adding something to the topic - but if not, like I said, I don't mind ducking out and going back to lurking.

Peace -

You haven't done anything wrong, Razor. No reason to bail out.

You haven't done anything wrong, Razor. No reason to bail out.

heh thanks - but I didn't take offense or anything to what thunder wrote at all - I just don't want people thinking I was trying to hijack the thread or something with my Saints-related talk

and I've lurked on the boards for a long while now - posting mostly in the NFL Talk and NSZ areas

and I can understand his point - and I certainly don't mind going back to just lurking a bit

it is the Texans board, after all, and not the Saints lol

I don't mind abiding by the hometown's rules :)

heh thanks - but I didn't take offense or anything to what thunder wrote at all - I just don't want people thinking I was trying to hijack the thread or something with my Saints-related talk

and I've lurked on the boards for a long while now - posting mostly in the NFL Talk and NSZ areas

and I can understand his point - and I certainly don't mind going back to just lurking a bit

it is the Texans board, after all, and not the Saints lol

I for one appreciate your insights about the Saints. You are a member here, and not abusive or too obnoxious...:D

It's not that they are the home town rules. Like I said, I'd be more than happy to talk to you about the Saints and your coaches in another thread. Feel free to start one if you'd like.

It just gets frustrating trying to argue two different points, using the context of another unrelated discussion.

Thunder is the largest consumer of Battle Red Kool-Aid on the
planet. Once you realize that, he's quite easy to have a
discussion with.

Schaub is methodical.

Brees is a buzzsaw.

And when Brees zaps a defense and gets the Saints ahead by a few scores, it's like the Colts and what they do to other teams: They make the opponent get away from a game plan.

It's actually Kubiak that directs the "methodical" approach that Schaub runs. When most of your game, at least half by half, is "scripted," then repeated failures must fall a good part on the shoulder of the author. I don't know that I'll ever feel comfortable with a long "methodical" script approach on any aspect of our game.

It's actually Kubiak that directs the "methodical" approach that Schaub runs. When most of your game, at least half by half, is "scripted," then repeated failures must fall a good part on the shoulder of the author. I don't know that I'll ever feel comfortable with a long "methodical" script approach on any aspect of our game.

That may be because our definition of "script" is a little too rigid. Kubiak's script is more flexible than the word script implies. It's more of a detailed offensive game plan.

That may be because our definition of "script" is a little too rigid. Kubiak's script is more flexible than the word script implies. It's more of a detailed offensive game plan.

There's an attitude about Kubiak that his guys can beat their guys if our guys line up and do what we know we can do. IMO, Kubiak seriously does not contemplate making huge adjustments in a game as well as from week-to-week.

If you play Kubiak long enough, you know damn well what range of things he's going to try to do. This is why his divisional rival coaches take him to the wood shed each year. Kubiak is not the kind of coach, like Rex Ryan is, who operates as a battlefield sergeant (adapting to the way the battle plays out on the field).

Instead, Kubiak is like the colonel who sits in the rear and has said "This is how it will play out, make it so." And then wonders why nothing is happening on the battlefield to his liking. He can't control the flow of the battlefield. He was so wrapped up in his plans that he forgot that once the battle starts you can throw the plans out the window.

We have a great planner. A great organizer. A great constructor of an offense, and perhaps a pretty good eye for talent. But he's woefully lacking once the battle has ensued. And I think that's why this team's players just cannot grind out consistent performances over long periods of time. They don't have a battlefield sergeant. They have a pencil pusher.

There's an attitude about Kubiak that his guys can beat their guys if our guys line up and do what we know we can do. IMO, Kubiak seriously does not contemplate making huge adjustments in a game as well as from week-to-week.

If you play Kubiak long enough, you know damn well what range of things he's going to try to do. This is why his divisional rival coaches take him to the wood shed each year. Kubiak is not the kind of coach, like Rex Ryan is, who operates as a battlefield sergeant (adapting to the way the battle plays out on the field).

Instead, Kubiak is like the colonel who sits in the rear and has said "This is how it will play out, make it so." And then wonders why nothing is happening on the battlefield to his liking. He can't control the flow of the battlefield. He was so wrapped up in his plans that he forgot that once the battle starts you can throw the plans out the window.

We have a great planner. A great organizer. A great constructor of an offense, and perhaps a pretty good eye for talent. But he's woefully lacking once the battle has ensued. And I think that's why this team's players just cannot grind out consistent performances over long periods of time. They don't have a battlefield sergeant. They have a pencil pusher.

This is the fear that I have come to feel and tried to express in my post........but you state it in much more detail and eloquence. :tiphat:

If you play Kubiak long enough, you know damn well what range of things he's going to try to do. This is why his divisional rival coaches take him to the wood shed each year.

The one who seems to take the most joy in schooling Kubiak is
Jack Del Rio. Every year, the Texans go to Jacksonville with
more talent, and Del Rio is constantly bashing Kubiak with plays
out of his ASS.

Especially on kickoffs. Just watch the sidelines when we play Jacksonville.
Del Rio knows he can outcoach Kubiak, and proves that no matter HOW BAD
the Jaguars are, they'll beat the Texans. It's pathetic.

I think I've repped you recently, and don't think I can do it again just yet. Agree.

That's exactly what we have: A brilliant mind, who knows his stuff, but can't execute. And that's fine, a lot of people, in every day life, are great thinkers and very smart, but can't execute their plans. Kubiak is clearly one of those people.

Someone nailed it perfectly in a recent thread. I can't remember who said it, but they said that Kubiak's strategy when things isn't working well is to employ a "try harder" approach instead of trying something new.

Edit to add: The ability to "switch gears" as necessary is an extremely important skill set to have - especially in upper management - regardless of what field you are in.

The one who seems to take the most joy in schooling Kubiak is
Jack Del Rio. Every year, the Texans go to Jacksonville with
more talent, and Del Rio is constantly bashing Kubiak with plays
out of his ASS.

Especially on kickoffs. Just watch the sidelines when we play Jacksonville.
Del Rio knows he can outcoach Kubiak, and proves that no matter HOW BAD
the Jaguars are, they'll beat the Texans. It's pathetic.

The thing with Del Rio is that he plays old school football. He likes BIG, PHYSICAL lineman. Whenever I'm at Reliant during the Jacksonville game I'm floored at how big their players are. They run right over us.

And, Del Rio seems to always know how to gut out a win when he needs it. Call me crazy, but I think he's still a decent coach.

The thing with Del Rio is that he plays old school football. He likes BIG, PHYSICAL lineman. Whenever I'm at Reliant during the Jacksonville game I'm floored at how big their players are. They run right over us.

And, Del Rio seems to always know how to gut out a win when he needs it. Call me crazy, but I think he's still a decent coach.

Del Rio has less talented players, and no home field advantage, but
his team consistently wins with less than the Texans have. Kubiak needs
a Hall of Fame quarterback (he ain't got it) and some solid leaders
on defense (ain't quite got those either) to be the winner he
wants to be.

The Jags also have a big armed quarterback who can truck you like
a fullback. Somehow, when we go to Jacksonville, I just know the
Texans are gonna get out-physicaled. It was there, on the first play,
Schaub caught a dislocated shoulder.

Del Rio has less talented players, and no home field advantage, but
his team consistently wins with less than the Texans have. Kubiak needs
a Hall of Fame quarterback (he ain't got it) and some solid leaders
on defense (ain't quite got those either) to be the winner he
wants to be.

The Jags also have a big armed quarterback who can truck you like
a fullback. Somehow, when we go to Jacksonville, I just know the
Texans are gonna get out-physicaled. It was there, on the first play,
Schaub caught a dislocated shoulder.

I agree, for the most part. We have a great "system" and scheme where everything is planned out and plotted and runs well most of the time, but Del Rio looks at us, laughs, and says: "I'm going to punch yall fools in the mouth."

And he does.

Don't quite agree on the QB, though. I still like Matt.

I'm a fan of leaders who know how to adapt, but I also can't argue with our offensive stats. If we had a running game, we could impose our plan no matter how rigid it is. We are one left guard away from making that happen.

I say get Mankins in here for one year, and use a #1 or #2 pick on a guard in 2011.

I'm a fan of leaders who know how to adapt, but I also can't argue with our offensive stats. If we had a running game, we could impose our plan no matter how rigid it is. We are one left guard away from making that happen.

I say get Mankins in here for one year, and use a #1 or #2 pick on a guard in 2011.

Why would Mankins want to sign here for 1 year? The dude is one of the top in the league at his position. He wants a Jahri Evans type of deal, or bigger.

Super Bowl

Anybody giving Del Rio credit for out coaching anyone is losing credibility. As a coach he can't sniff Kubiak's bunghole.

He definitely has Kubiak's number head-to-head, with a less talented squad.
That seems to be the basis of those comments.

The TLDR version is in short, Gary sucks.. We need a ()*@()@ firebreather.. Too bad Cowher won't come to Houston.. I'm holding strong with the pink soap..

Hope you enjoy it!

ROFL, not in that way, I'd rather have a great coach. I just don't like what Gary has done in the last couple years. We still lack mental toughness, and as an ex player this comes from your coach..

I know this is probably played out, but look at Rex Ryan, he doesn't want to win he wants to kick your ass, if he kicks your ass 9/10 times he's gonna win. That is my type of football, punch you in the face and kick your ass. The entire team has taken on his mantra, and he is rubbing off on that team.

ROFL, not in that way, I'd rather have a great coach. I just don't like what Gary has done in the last couple years. We still lack mental toughness, and as an ex player this comes from your coach..

I know this is probably played out, but look at Rex Ryan, he doesn't want to win he wants to kick your ass, if he kicks your ass 9/10 times he's gonna win. That is my type of football, punch you in the face and kick your ass. The entire team has taken on his mantra, and he is rubbing off on that team.

I can understand that. It helps clarify your postition. I just want them to be a winning franchise. I think they are headed in the right direction. This year will tell us alot. I think that Kubiak can get it done. When he was hired I thought it would take him 5 years to get the team where it needed to be. We will see.

Anybody giving Del Rio credit for out coaching anyone is losing credibility. As a coach he can't sniff Kubiak's bunghole.

Not sure who was sniffing who'se what last year, but Kubiak had a MUCH more talented squad than Del Rio, yet got stomped by them twice. That's coaching, my friend.

Just saying.

Then 7 out of 16 he must not have wanted to kick somebodies ass.

His team had no chance of beating the Colts, had the Colts decided to play.

I don't believe they would have beat a healthy Bengals team either, that one though is pure speculation.

New Orleans blew them out 24-10, Miami swept them, scoring 30 points each time. They lost to Buffalo, they lost to the less talented Jags, they lost to NE, allowing 31 points, and they lost to a disappointing Atlanta team.

He's not a god, he's more of a punk. He isn't special, he's just loud. There is really not much difference between the Job Rex Ryan did, and the job Gary Kubiak did in 2009. He won 9 games, Kubiak won 9 games. He lost 7 games, Kubiak lost 7 games. They lost to New England, Miami and Buffalo, We didn't.

Not sure who was sniffing who'se what last year, but Kubiak had a MUCH more talented squad than Del Rio, yet got stomped by them twice. That's coaching, my friend.

Just saying.

STomped?

If it weren't for player mistakes, Gary's game plan would have looked golden. We would have dominated both games.

STomped?

If it weren't for player mistakes, Gary's game plan would have looked golden. We would have dominated both games.

TK. The Jets were a team that physically dominated the Texans up one
side of the field, down the other. The "high-powered" offense COULD
NOT SCORE THE BALL!! They got SHUT DOWN, and SHUT OUT.

There is no denying this team folds when they get hit in the mouth. There
will be MANY "Jets Games" this season, just looking at the schedule. The
Saints hit them in the mouth Saturday night, and they FOLDED.

I'm waiting on just ONE indicator of this team having some toughness when
it matters.

TK. The Jets were a team that physically dominated the Texans up one
side of the field, down the other.
First, try to stay on course. When I posted what you quoted, I was refering to the Jacksonville games.

Second, if you watch the game, or go through the play by play, you'll see we were punching back for 3 QTrs. Remember they eventually became the #1 rushing team in the league, and we held them to 72 yards going into the 4th Qtr. When we broke down, it was only two plays for 77 yards... being too agresive.

The "high-powered" offense COULD
NOT SCORE THE BALL!! They got SHUT DOWN, and SHUT OUT.
Try to remember if anyone on that offense was gimpy... try hard to remember if someone wasn't at 100% because of a previous preseason game. Try to remember how many rollouts, boot legs, or even play action passes were in that game.

Then try to remember the coach saying half the playbook was taken out, because it was his QB playing on a bum ankle, or with a sprung hammy, or something like that.
There is no denying this team folds when they get hit in the mouth. There
will be MANY "Jets Games" this season, just looking at the schedule. The
Saints hit them in the mouth Saturday night, and they FOLDED.
I'm denying it.
I'm waiting on just ONE indicator of this team having some toughness when
it matters.

We beat Miami when it mattered, & we beat NE when it mattered. Stop mitigating all the "ONE" indicators that are out there.

This was a preseason game. Those were regular season games that kept us in play-off contention. Why do you put more weight on the one that doesn't matter?

I'd ask you to back off the Kool-Aid for a minute, to be rational, but
I know you'd never take that Battle Red IV out of your arm for an
instant. LOL

Watch my sig. I'll be updating thru the first twelve games of 2010.
Let's see if they've "turned the corner."

Sometimes I wonder if they've even gotten their driver license yet, much
less turned the corner.

Sometimes I wonder if they've even gotten their driver license yet, much
less turned the corner.

We beat Miami when it mattered, & we beat NE when it mattered. Stop mitigating all the "ONE" indicators that are out there.

This was a preseason game. Those were regular season games that kept us in play-off contention. Why do you put more weight on the one that doesn't matter?

:cricket:

Back