Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Trivia Questions for all the Texans Fans

dbspi

Waterboy
Trivia questions for all Texans Fans ----

I have been very critical of David Carr's play this year, some justified and some maybe not be as justifiable. In five years, David Carr has not delivered a winning seasons for us.

When David Carr was initially drafted out of Fresno State, he was considered franchise QB by all draft experts. He had all the physical tools to succeed in the NFL. The only knock against him was his side arm throwing motion. I don't know how the next batch of QB (Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russel or Brohm) will be rated by the draft experts but David Carr came to Texans with very high grade.

Since day one, David Carr NEVER had -

1.) Never had any offensive line to speak of and till this date not much has changed.

2.) Never had any consistent running game who will take the pressure off of David Carr despite having Dominic Williams in the back field, till this date we still don't have legitimate running attack or elite level running game.

3.) Never had any QB coach till Kubiak arrived last year

4.) Never had any tight end to speak of till last year

5.) Never had enough receivers to throw the ball to and this problem still persists despite having AJ and Moulds.

Now my trivia question to all the Texans fans -

1. Hypothetically speaking, suppose instead of David Carr, we had Joe Montana or Steve Young or Terry Bradshaw or Dan Marino or John Elway or Payton Manning. How many of these QB would have succeeded in place of David Carr with above mentioned scenario and would any of these QB would have provided us with any winning season?

2. Next trivia question, Hypothetically speaking suppose if the Texans were to acquire one of these QB this year (Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russel or Brohm). How will they be any different then David Carr with above mentioned scenario?

3. What is the most pressing need of the Texans this off season and why ?

I have been very critical of David Carr's play this year, some justified and some maybe not be as justifiable. In five years, David Carr has not delivered a winning seasons for us.

When David Carr was initially drafted out of Fresno State, he was considered franchise QB by all draft experts. He had all the physical tools to succeed in the NFL. The only knock against him was his side arm throwing motion. I don't know how the next batch of QB (Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russel or Brohm) will be rated by the draft experts but David Carr came to Texans with very high grade.

1.) Never had any offensive line to speak of and till this date not much has changed.

2.) Never had any consistent running game who will take the pressure off of David Carr despite having Dominic Williams in the back field, till this date we still don't have legitimate running attack or elite level running game.

5.) Never had enough receivers to throw the ball to and this problem still persists despite having AJ and Moulds.

1. Hypothetically speaking, suppose instead of David Carr, we had Joe Montana or Steve Young or Terry Bradshaw or Dan Marino or John Elway or Payton Manning. How many of these QB would have succeeded in place of David Carr with above mentioned scenario and would any of these QB would have provided us with any winning season?

2. Next trivia question, Hypothetically speaking suppose if the Texans were to acquire one of these QB this year (Brady Quinn or JaMarcus Russel or Brohm). How will they be any different then David Carr with above mentioned scenario?

Have you ever played "Hypothetical Pursuit?" Sorry, man, I'm just not a big fan of such questions. Kind of a waste of time, IMO.:)

thats a survey, not a trivia. i expected to see something like "who did the texans take with the first pick in the expansion draft?" something of that nature. in all fairness to carr, the QB coach and offensive coordinator spots have been revolving doors. carr has had a respectable running game. nobody needs to be complaining about us not having enough targets for carr to throw to. he has always had enough to be successful. look at what gaffney is doing.

Carr isn't losing games for us -- but hes not winning them for us either. We have to start fresh and get someone new behind center. I feel bad for Carr - hes a good person - but not a good fit for the Texans QB.

Plummer is not the man either! I'm at a loss with who we need - with Carr's salary I don't know if we can pawn him off. With all our problems I have a hard time seeing us win - with or without Carr.

I have never been a Garcia fan but man I love how fired up he is. We need that kind of energy on our team!

Trivia : a quizzing game involving obscure facts (Thanks to Merriam-Webster)

Now....beyond that....concerning this survey, I'd have to say that CARR had good excuses for years 1 - 4. Year 5, the new staff removed many of said excuses. If he is here in year 6, I feel sorry for him if we start of 0 - 3 or 4. It would be a loooooooooooooooooong year for him and anyone that visits this board.

We have all gone round and round on these very subjects. Any knowledgeable person KNOWS that this year started out better for Carr. When the offensive line became injured, was about the the time the defense stepped up. But that didn't help Carr stay off the ground. His protection was gone.

Think how it might have been the first five games had the defense played like they played the last half of the season. Both sides of the ball would have been fairly decent. It would have been good.

So, no, Carr had the start of a year, but not much protection after that until McKinny and Vonte Leach came in the last two games.

I want/wanted Carr to make it here, but if I were Carr, I think I would want to go. The fans here are down right dispicable.

We have all gone round and round on these very subjects. Any knowledgeable person KNOWS that this year started out better for Carr. When the offensive line became injured, was about the the time the defense stepped up. But that didn't help Carr stay off the ground. His protection was gone.

Think how it might have been the first five games had the defense played like they played the last half of the season. Both sides of the ball would have been fairly decent. It would have been good.

So, no, Carr had the start of a year, but not much protection after that until McKinny and Vonte Leach came in the last two games.

I want/wanted Carr to make it here, but if I were Carr, I think I would want to go. The fans here are down right dispicable.

Are you Carr's father?:tease:

Does he need to be, to stick up for a guy he believes in?

I don't know if Carr is the answer (other than to the question: "Who gets sacked a lot?" That's a no-brainer) but he was improved early on, and he was getting bombarded still. If the Texans move on, fine, but I still say that Carr got a bum deal here, if it ends like this.

1) Elway would have held out like he did to the Colts, Steve would have done about the same, look at his Bucaneer days, but Terry would win anywhere anytime.
2) Quinn & Brohm would be injured, Russell would be at least as good as Carr running, passing( ? ) only time would tell.
3) Consistancy on the O-line + AP in the draft.

There's no point comparing Carr to Elway, Marino, Montana or anyone else. All that anybody needs to be concerned about is the situation here, now, today.

He's not Tom Brady, he's not Peyton Manning - he's nowhere near their quality - but anyone with half an ounce of football sense can see that David Carr's development was stunted for the first 4 years of his time in the NFL, through poor coaching, unreasonable expectations way too early and poor personnel around him. That's not a worthy excuse for consistently poor play through that time, but it's a very significant factor. As far as this past year goes, you can't expect him to suddenly become Joe Montana now that he has a worthwhile coach and more than one receiver to throw at, but you can reasonably expect an improvement. Personally speaking, I think we got that. Early in the season he looked good, showed a lot of promise, then the already mediocre O-Line got decimated and Kubiak ripped every passing play that wasn't dink and dunk right out of the playbook.

I'm not saying that he'd have been heading to the Pro Bowl if the line had stayed intact - I very much doubt that he'd have even come close - but he ran the plays given to him well for the most part and showed some real heart. He now has the offseason to win some confidence from his coaches, to get comfortable with the new system and - hopefully - to start playing behind an O-Line that realise they're actually supposed to stop the big guys rushing past them every play.

This is his make or break season coming up, in my eyes. If he chokes this year I reckon you can stick a fork in him, but as far as I'm concerned - given how the various chips have fallen thus far over the past five years - I think he gets one more season to prove himself.

1) Doesn't matter.
2) Don't care.
3) CB, FS, OLBx2, OL, DT. And P, but this new kid we just sent to Europe may be the answer to that.

Brett Favre would have won some games for us. Yeah, with a different QB (especially a legend) we would be a much different team. Imagine a an offense where we threw a pass farther than 3 yards.

Does he need to be, to stick up for a guy he believes in?

I don't know if Carr is the answer (other than to the question: "Who gets sacked a lot?" That's a no-brainer) but he was improved early on, and he was getting bombarded still. If the Texans move on, fine, but I still say that Carr got a bum deal here, if it ends like this.

I agree with that statement 100%. He was thrown to the dogs his rookie season on a poor team with questionable coaching. This was supposed to be the year he started producing like an NFL QB. It wasn't! Sure you can say he started off the year great....I can say his stats were padded early on due to the games being beyond reach (garbage time). I will also admit our Oline is below average, but at the same time I will say our QB is still below average.:twocents:

That is true comedy.

no true comedy is a bunch of people who sit on their butt all day and watch espn, think they know a thing or two about football.

You think Tom Brady is a good quarterback? I agree... but the reason why is because Belichick and the gang over their in New England knows football. You protect your quarterback, you have a really good run blocking offensive line, you have a playoff team. Look at the jets, they added two stud o linemen to a bottom nfl team, they went to the playoffs.

Carr is a good athlete with a strong arm, who DID VERY WELL against an eagles defense (a playoff team) in our opener. He did very well in a lot of other games, and lets see...waht is a quarterbacks goal, to complete passes. Name a quarterback who did that better than him this year.

Exactly.

Yes it was his check down receivers and short routes that he completed them to, it was because he didn't have time to throw it to anyone else. Look at the begining of the year he was completing long passes to AJ because of the tiem he received.

So lets waste another top pick on a quarterback who is going to fail just as much as Carr is, or lets build the offensive line in front of him, and see what he can do.

I agree with that statement 100%. He was thrown to the dogs his rookie season on a poor team with questionable coaching. This was supposed to be the year he started producing like an NFL QB. It wasn't! Sure you can say he started off the year great....I can say his stats were padded early on due to the games being beyond reach (garbage time). I will also admit our Oline is below average, but at the same time I will say our QB is still below average.:twocents:

I agree. Looking at Carr's history, he has not produced and is a below-average quarterback. I still want to see something out of him. Maybe it's just a stubbornness that makes me want that #1 overall pick to be worth something.

no true comedy is a bunch of people who sit on their butt all day and watch espn, think they know a thing or two about football.

You think Tom Brady is a good quarterback? I agree... but the reason why is because Belichick and the gang over their in New England knows football. You protect your quarterback, you have a really good run blocking offensive line, you have a playoff team. Look at the jets, they added two stud o linemen to a bottom nfl team, they went to the playoffs.

Carr is a good athlete with a strong arm, who DID VERY WELL against an eagles defense (a playoff team) in our opener. He did very well in a lot of other games, and lets see...waht is a quarterbacks goal, to complete passes. Name a quarterback who did that better than him this year.

Exactly.

Yes it was his check down receivers and short routes that he completed them to, it was because he didn't have time to throw it to anyone else. Look at the begining of the year he was completing long passes to AJ because of the tiem he received.

So lets waste another top pick on a quarterback who is going to fail just as much as Carr is, or lets build the offensive line in front of him, and see what he can do.

Thank you, the voice of reason!!

I have a feeling you guys will be saying the same thing 5 years from now. Come on guys - its only been 10 years - its not Carr's fault - he just needs a line, receivers, running back, defense and coaching. HE CAN DO IT! Give me a break...

LOL at all these people making longwinded responses to a post that calls those questions trivia questions. its like having a detailed debate with a 6 year old - completely pointless.

All you are correct in your assessment, I was just trying to figure out how we went wrong in draft. Quite frankly its not worth debating any more.

Actually, it kinda sounded defensive, that whole bit about people sitting on their butts thinking they know football. I don't know why opposing viewpoints have to have personal insults thrown their way.

Sure that part might have been, but I mainly was talking about his ending paragraph.

This is more dump all the Texans problems on the high profile player, Carr. All this dumping is so much trash. Carr is only one of the problems on a TEAM that has many problems to solve.

Actually, it kinda sounded defensive, that whole bit about people sitting on their butts thinking they know football. I don't know why opposing viewpoints have to have personal insults thrown their way.

wasn't really insulting him, i was just letting him know i was serious, because he said i was retarded for my first comment i said, and i am saying that a lot of you pay too close of attention to the media. Think for yourselves, have your own opinion, if you watch the games, you can see that carr isn't the biggest problem.

Exactly.

Every QB's job is to direct the offense and score. How many QBs did better than Carr?

...did you watch the Eagles game?

Texanfan4ever: Calling someone the voice of reason is different from agreeing with them. It's saying that what they say is reasonable.

yourfavoritetexan42: Has the definition of insult changed lately?

wasn't really insulting him, i was just letting him know i was serious, because he said i was retarded for my first comment i said, and i am saying that a lot of you pay too close of attention to the media. Think for yourselves, have your own opinion, if you watch the games, you can see that carr isn't the biggest problem.
When did I call you retarded? And exactly what media has the Texans in it?

Every QB's job is to direct the offense and score. How many QBs did better than Carr?

...did you watch the Eagles game?

yes i did and this is what i saw:

I saw a Texans defense that gave up over 300 passing yards. And over 100 rushing yards.

I saw David Carr consistently hit Moulds and AJ for +200 yards against an NFL playoff defense. Same defense that totally owned the cowboys offense, owned the giants offense.

I saw a rushing game for the texans utilized 20 times, only producing 30 yards.

I saw David Carr lead his team in the first half to an early lead, and than watch a defense and a rushing game not able to keep that lead.

but maybe it was david carrs fault htat the defense allowed the comeback and there was no rushing game

This is Houston! Why are you guys still defending players? We have had 5 years to get it right. 6 wins isnt nothing to brag about.

When did I call you retarded? And exactly what media has the Texans in it?

lol... good point about the media.

You said I was ridiculous to think that Carr should stay as our quarterback, and I explained myself. I also explained why people continuosly to jump on the "bash car" bandwagon. I am not making excuses for Carr, I am giving reasons why we should give him another shot.

Stats mean nothing. It's all about the W. We all know he got the stats in garbage time, anyway. ;)

He got the stats in the first half actually. The Eagles did a good job milking that clock. And yes I agree wins are important, thats why I want to keep Carr, because getting rid of him for a lesser talent is ridiculous. How about we just build more around him and make the job easier.

A good example is Jon Kitna for the Bengals. Bengals were HORRIBLE and the qb position was blamed for a long time, once it was fixed, brought some weapons in... kitna did a very good job until it was already too late because they already had brought carson palmer in. I feel as if they used that #1 pick a little smarter and given their team more help, they might be in the playoffs right now with kitna as a quarterback. Don't get me wrong Palmer is a good player, but there aren't any Carson Palmers in this years drafts, and nothing even close to a Jon Kitna in free agency.

You said Carr did as well as a Hall of Fame QB, one of the best ever, would have done. That is ridiculous.

Well, when did Elway win his superbowls?

When he had Terrel Davis, good receivers, a good tight end, one of the best rushing schemes ever in the nfl. A good defense.

I don't know if you remember, but it took him more than 5 years to win a superbowl...even more than 10 years.

I am not saying David Carr is on the same level as Elway, what I am saying is that how do we know? It is hard to evaluate david when he is playing with a lot of poor talent around him. This year we were ok for a while but then injuries hurt us. I mean if you look at his offensive line in years past, half of the guys that started, aren't even in football anymore. His running backs? one never suits out, one retired, one can't even make an nfl team right now. His receivers? Most of htem are out of football, aside from AJ and Gaffeney. His tight ends? Out of football... couldn't make any other team. His former offensive coaches couldn't even get hired at a high school right now.

He got the stats in the first half actually. The Eagles did a good job milking that clock. And yes I agree wins are important, thats why I want to keep Carr, because getting rid of him for a lesser talent is ridiculous. How about we just build more around him and make the job easier.

A good example is Jon Kitna for the Bengals. Bengals were HORRIBLE and the qb position was blamed for a long time, once it was fixed, brought some weapons in... kitna did a very good job until it was already too late because they already had brought carson palmer in. I feel as if they used that #1 pick a little smarter and given their team more help, they might be in the playoffs right now with kitna as a quarterback. Don't get me wrong Palmer is a good player, but there aren't any Carson Palmers in this years drafts, and nothing even close to a Jon Kitna in free agency.
I don't want Carr here. His pocket prescence is horrible. When our line gave him protection, he did nothing.

Well, when did Elway win his superbowls?

When he had Terrel Davis, good receivers, a good tight end, one of the best rushing schemes ever in the nfl. A good defense.

I don't know if you remember, but it took him more than 5 years to win a superbowl...even more than 10 years.

I am not saying David Carr is on the same level as Elway, what I am saying is that how do we know? It is hard to evaluate david when he is playing with a lot of poor talent around him. This year we were ok for a while but then injuries hurt us. I mean if you look at his offensive line in years past, half of the guys that started, aren't even in football anymore. His running backs? one never suits out, one retired, one can't even make an nfl team right now. His receivers? Most of htem are out of football, aside from AJ and Gaffeney. His tight ends? Out of football... couldn't make any other team. His former offensive coaches couldn't even get hired at a high school right now.
You can go ahead and stop. Elway was leaps and bounds better than Carr. He led his team to the playoffs, regardless of the talent.

Well, let's look at other teams:

1st comes to mind are the Arizona Cardinals. They've got a bad Oline, a horrible running game, less than average pass protection, and some good WRs. A whole lot like some team I know...:) In their situation, I don't think there's any question that Leinhart is going to be the QB of the future. And he lifted a team when he replaced Warner and his fumbling ways.

Look at this way: We've had a whole lot of 3rd and 10s this year. How many times did it look like we made an honest attempt at converting a 3rd and 10? Not much. When you can't even trust your QB to make an honest attempt on 3rd and 10, there's a serious QB situation going on. Many times, Kubes did not trust Carr enough to convert a 3rd and 10. Can you imagine a coach not trusting Manning or Elway enough to convert a 3rd and 10? I don't think so...

I used to think even at his worst, Carr wasn't that bad. At his worst, he's still a good "caretaker" for the offense. And now, it looks like he's a caretaker at best! With expectations into account, Carr has just gone through by far his worst season as a QB. Look at the games! Carr was given enough to have moderate success at least. Instead, Kubiak is too worried about turnover due to his QB.

Well, let's look at other teams:

1st comes to mind are the Arizona Cardinals. They've got a bad Oline, a horrible running game, less than average pass protection, and some good WRs. A whole lot like some team I know...:) In their situation, I don't think there's any question that Leinhart is going to be the QB of the future. And he lifted a team when he replaced Warner and his fumbling ways.

Look at this way: We've had a whole lot of 3rd and 10s this year. How many times did it look like we made an honest attempt at converting a 3rd and 10? Not much. When you can't even trust your QB to make an honest attempt on 3rd and 10, there's a serious QB situation going on. Many times, Kubes did not trust Carr enough to convert a 3rd and 10. Can you imagine a coach not trusting Manning or Elway enough to convert a 3rd and 10? I don't think so...

I used to think even at his worst, Carr wasn't that bad. At his worst, he's still a good "caretaker" for the offense. And now, it looks like he's a caretaker at best! With expectations into account, Carr has just gone through by far his worst season as a QB. Look at the games! Carr was given enough to have moderate success at least. Instead, Kubiak is too worried about turnover due to his QB.

The 3rd and 10 deal:

That isnt really a knock on Carr, that is a knock on our offensive line. Why drop back in 3rd and 10 and try to throw deep when it is going to result in a sack? We didn't have time to throw deep routes, watch the tapes! that time wasn't there.

Alright I want you to tell me who is a better talent who is available right now other than Carr.
JaMarcus Russell, Brian Brohm, Kevin Kolb, San Diego's backups, Leftwich, Kellen Clemens, Culpepper, Vick...etc.

In any case, I don't want a new QB, I want more O-linemen and DBs. We've shown we can win despite Carr.

JaMarcus Russell, Brian Brohm, Kevin Kolb, San Diego's backups, Leftwich, Kellen Clemens, Culpepper, Vick...etc.

In any case, I don't want a new QB, I want more O-linemen and DBs. We've shown we can win despite Carr.

Then we both agree. We can win despite Carr. My point is that Carr isn't amazing, my point is he can get the job done when talent is around them... and btw... about your quarterbacks.

JaMarcus Russel is a Aaron Brooks #2. He cannot read a defense. He is big I will give him that, but he is on the most talented team in the nation (if you need me to explain, I will explain) and he scorched a really bad an overatted notre dame secondary in a bowl game with two very good receivers.

Brian Brohm, yes I agree, but if he comes out I don't think he will be available at our pick.

KEVIN KOLB IS SO FREAKING OVERRATED ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD. I watched a few of his tapes and wow, where does that hype come from? from him torching some conference usa defense? becuase he didn't even do that! His bowl game he was below average, his play wasn't anything special, everyone needs to stop wanting this hometown hero ressurect our franchise.

San Diegos backups? Lol... Carr I think is better than Rivers... so there is no way Rivers backups can be better than Carr.

Leftwich? He cant even beat the Texans.

Kellen Clemens is a reach...very far reach...

Culpepper is a huge risk and I don't think he fits our scheme, especially after his acl tear.

Vick isn't available. If he is, than yes I would take him, even though he cannot throw better than carr, he will give us the best rushing attack in the nfl.

JaMarcus Russel is a Aaron Brooks #2. He cannot read a defense. He is big I will give him that, but he is on the most talented team in the nation (if you need me to explain, I will explain) and he scorched a really bad an overatted notre dame secondary in a bowl game with two very good receivers.

Brian Brohm, yes I agree, but if he comes out I don't think he will be available at our pick.

KEVIN KOLB IS SO FREAKING OVERRATED ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD. I watched a few of his tapes and wow, where does that hype come from? from him torching some conference usa defense? becuase he didn't even do that! His bowl game he was below average, his play wasn't anything special, everyone needs to stop wanting this hometown hero ressurect our franchise.

San Diegos backups? Lol... Carr I think is better than Rivers... so there is no way Rivers backups can be better than Carr.

Leftwich? He cant even beat the Texans.

Kellen Clemens is a reach...very far reach...

Culpepper is a huge risk and I don't think he fits our scheme, especially after his acl tear.

Vick isn't available. If he is, than yes I would take him, even though he cannot throw better than carr, he will give us the best rushing attack in the nfl.

Signed,

Derek Carr

Whether we keep Carr or let him go we need someone he has to compete against. He needs to be more consistant.

Back