Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Trey Lance Trade

Who thinks Lance will be traded given the emergence of Brock Purdy?

If you do the SF will seek a trade partner, where do you think he’ll go?

I personally see SF riding with Purdy without Lance as the backup. I could see TB or maybe Ten.

It appears as if Lance has his favorite..

FmukVGhWQAYBMi-

I'm sure I don't know what Lance's worth is if most of the NFL Draft gurus are clueless on evaluating the potential of a QBs future in the NFL which would be seem to be the case as the 49ers will have a QB, Lances teammate rookie Purdy, starting this Sunday in the Divisional P/O round who every team save one passed on in this years NFL Draft for all 7 rounds.
I dunno tell us what you think, how much interest should our Texans have in Lance ?

I'm sure I don't know what Lance's worth is if most of the NFL Draft gurus are clueless on evaluating the potential of a QBs future in the NFL which would be seem to be the case as the 49ers will have a QB, Lances teammate rookie Purdy, starting this Sunday in the Divisional P/O round who every team save one passed on in this years NFL Draft for all 7 rounds.
I dunno tell us what you think, how much interest should our Texans have in Lance ?

Zero.

Maybe DeMeco trades for him? Or Mcdaniel?
Good point re DR. Will TL be ready for 2023 season? I wonder what draft pick will be enough for 49ers to let him go? He hasn't impressed at all yet so it shouldn't be a first.
Another point to consider with 49ers - Ryan's might prefer Jimmy G.

Last edited:
His contract is cheap, he’s only had 4 starts and there is no guarantee that he Brock isn’t just a flash in the pan.
You're right, the Niners can keep Lance. But they are hurting in draft capital. 4 comp picks in the 3rd round is where they start drafting, and it's not going to get them very far (about 350 points). And if they aren't going to play Lance over Purdy, Lance will have more value with 2 years and an option left than one year.

You're right, the Niners can keep Lance. But they are hurting in draft capital. 4 comp picks in the 3rd round is where they start drafting, and it's not going to get them very far (about 350 points). And if they aren't going to play Lance over Purdy, Lance will have more value with 2 years and an option left than one year.
This is what I was thinking.

There are several teams that might give up some day 2 picks for a chance to see what Lance has. If I were SF, I would consider trading.

This is what I was thinking.

There are several teams that might give up some day 2 picks for a chance to see what Lance has. If I were SF, I would consider trading.
I think there is still a market for Lance. The Niners weren't the only team that thought highly of him. I think they have to find out what it is.

I think there is still a market for Lance. The Niners weren't the only team that thought highly of him. I think they have to find out what it is.

I expect his value is still right around mid 1st round pick given how QB needy some teams are. I could see a team like Washington or Tampa if/when Brady leaves giving up their first for him. They are too far back to really move up and try to get one of the top QB prospects and may prefer Lance.

I expect his value is still right around mid 1st round pick given how QB needy some teams are. I could see a team like Washington or Tampa if/when Brady leaves giving up their first for him. They are too far back to really move up and try to get one of the top QB prospects and may prefer Lance.
I could see this,

But it would be a mistake to trade for Lance with his injury history. His playing style is only going to lead to more injuries.

But hey, it's possible to catch lightning in a bottle. That's only worth a 3rd to me. He's not as good as Jimmy G, but he is talented.

I could see this,

But it would be a mistake to trade for Lance with his injury history. His playing style is only going to lead to more injuries.

But hey, it's possible to catch lightning in a bottle. That's only worth a 3rd to me. He's not as good as Jimmy G, but he is talented.

I agree. I thought the trade was bizarre when it was made at the time as well. Something about those North Dakota State QBs drive the NFL crazy though…

But it seems Lil Shanny and Lynch got too cute with that pick. Just imagine what they could’ve done if they had built around Jimmy G with those picks.

49ers know what they have in Lance, which IMO isn't much. Lance was horrendous against the worst team in the league and during the preseason. Easy decision to roll with Purdy. Based on his play, if the niners can even get a 2nd for Lance they should take it. Lynch seams like a GM that won't let the emotions of being wrong about a pick prevent him from making a good decision for the future. Bring in a veteran QB who is willing and able to help Purdy advance.

I agree. I thought the trade was bizarre when it was made at the time as well. Something about those North Dakota State QBs drive the NFL crazy though…

But it seems Lil Shanny and Lynch got too cute with that pick. Just imagine what they could’ve done if they had built around Jimmy G with those picks.

Yeah, had to hurt watching Parsons, who went with one of the picks they traded away to move up for Lance.

We'll have a good idea if the Texans are one of the teams calling the Niners after Day 1.
I guess the real questions would be would we want him? I haven’t seen enough of him to think he’s be a long term answer BUT when he was coming out it was known he needed time and was a project.

I guess the real questions would be would we want him?
"We" being the Texans decision makers? I think after all of the evaluations on this QB class, the Niner guys may want to bring in a known (to them) product.

"We" being the Texans decision makers? I think after all of the evaluations on this QB class, the Niner guys may want to bring in a known (to them) product.
I guess I could’ve been more clear. Both “we” the Texans brass and “we the Texans fan base.

I'd rather have CJ Stroud, but if the Texans are intent on passing on CJ and you can get Lance for a 3rd in this draft...I'd take a flyer on him.

If he's going to succeed (and I'm dubious about that claim), then his best chance is in a system and with coaches he knows. Other than some wrinkles/terminology, he can walk in here day one and be the guy. All I know is I wasn't impressed with the limited amount of time he had. He's got a chance to do what Fields did in Chicago and turn a corner this year.

Two questions are health and does he eventually turn that corner. I dunno...but for a 3rd, I'm onboard. I wouldn't go any higher.

So if the rumors are true that Purdy could miss the entire season the Niners are gonna roll with Sam Darnold?

As far as Lance being a Texan, I mean, there's got to be some red flags if Shanahan doesn't want him and would rather go with Darnold and Mr. Irrelevant. I wouldn't give up much for him. Of course there's injury red flags too so he'd fit right in here.

So if the rumors are true that Purdy could miss the entire season the Niners are gonna roll with Sam Darnold?

As far as Lance being a Texan, I mean, there's got to be some red flags if Shanahan doesn't want him and would rather go with Darnold and Mr. Irrelevant. I wouldn't give up much for him. Of course there's injury red flags too so he'd fit right in here.
The Texans were in the running for Jimmy G (who Shanny wanted out of SF for a while), also. Out group of ex-Niners may not have been in 100% agreement with Shanny on all things QB.

I hope Texans are just shopping price.
I would be asking why are you trading a player you paid 3 firsts for?
Because they feel like Purdy is their future and it is a hot quarterback market, and they should want something in return.

The Texans were in the running for Jimmy G (who Shanny wanted out of SF for a while), also. Out group of ex-Niners may not have been in 100% agreement with Shanny on all things QB.

And I didn’t want Jimmy G either. And were the Texans really in the running? I mean I know the media said so because of the 9ers connection, but were we really?

If the Texans can get Lance for a day two pick. Maybe a combo of picks (positional premium) i’d take a swing. Say a 3rd/4th. Don’t expect the 49ers to let him go at this price. Still think asking price is mid first value.

Experience with the OC, has the tools but sorely needs the reps. Basically the upside of the QBs coming out in this draft but with the advantage of a two year head start learning the OC’s terminology.

Would be best for this team. And of course if it doesn’t pan out you can take a swing on another prospect. High upside acquisition.

What I take away from the 49'ers Trey Lance situation.....do they not feel he can beat out both Purdy and Darnold? If not, then why would I want him? Hail, Keenum and Mills are already on the roster, not to mention it wouldn't cost the team any draft capital for 2023 since it would become apparent that drafting a QB in 2024 becomes a priority. Let the Trey Lance dreams fade away slowly.

Back