Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Training camp 2013

IFWT_SMith-and-Incognito-3.jpg

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Hopkins is in phase one of his concussion protocol. No new news on if he plays Sunday. #texans

Kubiak stated that he doesn't feel it's necessary for Foster to get snaps before San Diego. #texans

Kubiak said after talking with Antonio Smith that Smith feels like he really let the team down. #texans

Kubiak said that Foster did well in first practice off PUP list #texans

Kubiak says Mercilus is very close to coming back. #texans

Arain Foster off Pup according to Kubiak. Practiced today. Most likely wont play Sunday. #texans

Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
"They’ll give us some fair opportunities to give our side. I think we’ve got a legitimate case to present," #Texans GM on Antonio's appeal

#Texans GM Rick Smith expressed disappointment in Antonio Smith's actions, but said the team will support and participate in the appeal.

Kubiak says Whitney Mercilus is closer to getting back on the field. Tim Dobbins is back on the field today. #Texans

Kubiak says he is disappointed in himself re Antonio Smith because it's his job to make sure their players keep their composure. #Texans

"The key is we have a couple good weeks of practice" Kubiak said on foster. Doesn't think he'll play Foster Sunday. #Texans

Arian Foster practiced Wednesday and will be taken off the physically unable to perform list. #Texans
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Rick Smith says the team is disappointed about Antonio Smith's suspension.

Kubiak said team still pushing to have Wade Smith for opener.

DeAndre is in Phase 1 of 5 of concussion protocol still not ruled out for Sunday.

Kubiak said he doesn't think Foster will play Sunday.

Arian Foster was practicing but limited today.
Dale Robertson ‏@sportywineguy
Tim Jamison and Jared Crick will compete to see who replaces Smith in the starting lineup, but both will contribute. #Texans

But players "have a job when they get out there to maintain their composure regardless of circumstances. No excuses." #Texans

Kubiak says he "has to make sure my players keep their composure on the football field. That's my job." #Texans

Kubiak "disappointed" in himself and Antonio Smith for actions that led to suspension. #Texans

LG Wade Smith is also possible for the San Diego game despite scoped knee. #Texans

Kubiak says Foster won't play during preseason but he expects him back for opener at San Diego. #Texans
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
DE Delano Johnson fined $7,785 for late hit.

Texans CB Brandon Harris fined $21 grand for hit on defenseless receiver against Miami.

Last edited:
What exactly are you looking for from the FB in a preseason game?

Blocks that can spring an RB for some extra yards. Greg Jones was widely considered the second best FB behind Leach when he was with the Jags, so more of that if it was possible.

I don't suppose anyone has a video clip of B Harris' hit in question do they? I'd really like to see it and don't know how to go about it.

IMO, these fines (as everyone previously mentioned) are getting so ridiculous and out of hand, they are going to cause more and more Dustin Keller scenarios to unfold. When you have a rookie coming into the league (DJ Swear) and already he's trained to go low to avoid a fine, this mantra is going to eventually be spread around the league.

Last time I checked your knee isn't supposed to bend backwards, but I believe this will be the new normal in football thanks to that D bag Goodell.

When you get hit high you excite the fans and you eventually get up. When you get hit low, generally you bring the place down and you're carted away. You're going to have to make a choice between these 2 because you can't delegate a defender to hit a moving/juking target in a 6" window.

I don't suppose anyone has a video clip of B Harris' hit in question do they? I'd really like to see it and don't know how to go about it.

There's no doubt he hit him in the head. The question is about the size of the fine. $21,000 is pretty hefty & probably a big portion of his paycheck. He's not one of these guys that make millions.

IMO, these fines (as everyone previously mentioned) are getting so ridiculous and out of hand, they are going to cause more and more Dustin Keller scenarios to unfold. When you have a rookie coming into the league (DJ Swear) and already he's trained to go low to avoid a fine, this mantra is going to eventually be spread around the league.

That hit was a perfect storm of events & truthfully probably had little to do with the NFL fines & rules. Dj was not going to hit that big boy high. Small guys hit big guys low all the time, always have, always will. That's the only way they can bring those big guys down. (Not that Dj is little, but relatively speaking, he wasn't going to be hitting Keller high).

But the NFL is going to have to do something. If these fines & suspensions are affecting the game that much, they're going to have to put a limit on cuncussiongs. 3 concussions & your career is over. That's really the only "safe" way to go about it.

Last time I checked your knee isn't supposed to bend backwards, but I believe this will be the new normal in football thanks to that D bag Goodell.

D BAg???? What would you do? If you were the commisioner & there was a growing list of players suing you for effects they suffered from playing the game? If there are at least two players who killed themselves because of it?

DBag??

Get a life.
When you get hit high you excite the fans and you eventually get up. When you get hit low, generally you bring the place down and you're carted away. You're going to have to make a choice between these 2 because you can't delegate a defender to hit a moving/juking target in a 6" window.

90% of Dunta Robinson's hits were low. Glover Quin generally targets areas below the waist. Kareem is a sure tackler, but most of his hits are & will be at the waist or below.

It's part of the game. Always has been always will be. It wasn't that Dj hit Keller low, it was that Keller was coming down on that leg as Dj hit him. Had Swearinger hit him a second earlier, or 2 seconds later, Keller would have finished that game.

The thing about the Swearinger hit is that he made a tackle in the Vikings game like that and I think he made 1 or two more tackles like that in the Dolphins game.

I hope he doesn't change the way he tackles. That's one of the things I like about him. He's a good one on one tackler. He gets guys on the ground in a hurry most times.

Tackling low has been practiced by DB's for as long as I can remember.

But I do think that with the new rules you're going to have guys that would have normally gone up high, aiming lower on certain hits.

Hopefully there are no more devastating injuries.

There's no doubt he hit him in the head. The question is about the size of the fine. $21,000 is pretty hefty & probably a big portion of his paycheck. He's not one of these guys that make millions.

Harris makes $674,938. The max fine which can be collected is 25% of one game check. So his fine will be $9925.

He made something like $900 for the preseason game, not a full regular season game check.

Fines come out of a regular season check after the fine becomes final. They are never based on the preseason.

Last edited:
D BAg???? What would you do? If you were the commisioner & there was a growing list of players suing you for effects they suffered from playing the game? If there are at least two players who killed themselves because of it?

DBag??

Get a life.

Cool bro. I'll work on getting a life.

Wait until someone like Larry Fitzgerald has this happen to them, then the game will change again. Stand by your man though, maybe you won't hate what happens next.

Did anyone find a video clip of that hit? I obviously tried Google, but got nothing, generally this forum is my goto because they have every video clip before I even know there is an issue that needs to be watched.

Who izzat??? ............. click on the photo to see which Texans are pictured here:

Hopkins is still in phase 1 of the concussion program. Ruled out for Sunday. #Texans

Ed Reed will have his surgeon in Vail take the last look at Reed and that will be the last step before Reed returns to Houston. #Texans

"It's over. The kid did nothing wrong. It's over." Kubiak on D.J. Swearinger's hit on Dustin Keller. #Texans #Dolphins

Kubiak said Arian Foster's reps went from 10 to 20 today. Said he felt good coming out of yesterday's practice. #Texans

Kubiak says it's too early to say if he'll keep 3 QBs but "we've got two very good ones" and you don't let good players go. #Texans

Asked how he'd make a call if they're neck in neck, Kubiak says: "Somebody's got to lean." #Texans

Kubiak says he'll decide tomorrow which backup quarterback will go second on Sunday. #Texans

"Boy we've got some tough decisions to make. I've got to look at a lot of players in the second half," Kubiak on roster #Texans

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Kubiak said Bonner is doing better but definitely won't play this week. #TexansTalk

The surgeon will take a last look at Ed Reed in Colorado and then he'll be back in Houston. #TexansTalk

Kubiak said he doesn't see Foster playing this weekend. #TexansTalk

"He looked good. He did more." -- Kubiak on Foster #TexansTalk

Mercilus day-to-day according to Kubiak. He could play Thursday possibly. Wade Smith should hit field with trainers Monday. #Texans

DeAndre Hopkins has been ruled out this week. He is still at stage 1 of the concussion protocol and feels about the same. #Texans

He put his pads on with everybody else. he went from about 10 reps to 20 today." Kubiak on Foster at prac. Doesn't think he'll go Sun#Texans James

"We're going to the end with this thing." - Kubiak on the backup QB battle. #Texans

David Hunter will miss a few days with an ankle sprain. Most likely won't play Sunday. #Texans

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew
"We have not moved forward. We're still at Phase 1."-Kubiak on Hopkins & concussion. He won't play vs. Saints.

"Ben's going to play a lot. Will probably get spelled by Deji"- Kubiak on Ben Tate & Deji Karim this Sunday vs. Saints.

Kubiak said #Texans RT Derek Newton has had a "really good camp". Some good with bad, but he's improving.

Kubiak: Drew Brees is 1 of best QB's in NFL over last 14 yrs. "Heckuva test" for #Texans.

Kubiak: #Texans backup QB battle will go "all the way to the end" between Yates/Keenum.

Kubiak: #Texans have tough decisions to make w/regards to roster cuts. 2nd half of Saints game is good chance to see that.

Last edited:
[IMGwidthsize=600]http://theblondeside.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/092110-NFL-Duane-Brown-JW_20100921161708_660_320.jpg[/IMG]

Duane Brown today -- reads bottom-to-top...

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew 9m
"It makes me more confident in my hands."- @DuaneBrown76 on how offseason boxing workouts have helped him. #Texans

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 10m
Duane Brown said Derek Newton gave up a sack but didn't let it get to him. Brown said that was different. #TexansTalk

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 10m
In terms of technique and avoiding being called for holding, Brown said learned a lot from Chester Pitts and Eric Winston. #Texans

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew 10m
LT @DuaneBrown76 credits former #Texans teammates Ephraim Salaam, @ericwinston & @ChesterPitts for helping him improve.

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew 11m
LT @DuaneBrown76 said he didn't become a technician at his position until a couple years ago. #Texans

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 30s
Duane Brown thinks Incognito is an "Intense" player. Added he was a nice guy at the Pro Bowl. In terms of dirty Brown said, "Not my place."

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 2m
in terms of keeping composure on the field, Brown said "You have to keep your team in mind." #Texans #Texanstalk

Drew Dougherty ‏@DoughertyDrew 14s
LT @DuaneBrown76 said it's great to see Arian Foster out there "shaking off the rust", and he's a big part of the offense.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 1m
"We're holding ourselves more accountable than any other year." - Duane Brown. #Texans. #Texanstalk

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 1m
Duane Brown says the focus of the team is at an "all-time high." #TexansTalk

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 2m
"I was a little shocked the way the play developed." Duane Brown on his rare holding call last game. #TexansTalk

Rule on fines & appeals for excessive amount:

Here’s the rule, from Article 46 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement:

“On appeal, a player may assert, among other defenses, that any fine should be reduced because it is excessive when compared to the player’s expected earnings for the season in question. However, a fine may be reduced on this basis only if it exceeds 25 percent of one week of a player’s salary for a first offense, and 50 percent of one week of a player’s salary for a second offense. A player may also argue on appeal that the circumstances do not warrant his receiving a fine above the amount stated in the schedule of fines.”

A player’s weekly pay is one-seventeenth of his salary...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rule-on-excessive-fines-for-low-paid-players/

Wait until someone like Larry Fitzgerald has this happen to them, then the game will change again. Stand by your man though, maybe you won't hate what happens next.

Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other.... what are you going to do?

In August 2012, autopsy results found no evidence of trauma in Seau's brain. In January 2013, however, the National Institutes of Health said a study of Seau's brain had revealed abnormalities consistent with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. Later that month, Seau's family announced that they were pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit against the NFL. The Seau family also announced that they were suing Riddell, the maker of the helmets used in the NFL.
junior-seau-nsn011013.jpg

The lawsuit against the NFL cited a 1993 film, NFL Rocks, in which Seau, asked how he felt about dealing out and taking so many punishing hits, said: "If I can feel some dizziness, I know that guy is feeling double [that]."

d.j._swearinger.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
If I don't hunt, I don't eat' - #Texans rookie D.J. Swearinger hasn't watched Killer hit, isn't backing down #NFL

#Texans' Swearinger: "It's whatever way you've got to do that, that's what defenders are going to do. Whatever does it, does it." #NFL

#Texans' Swearinger was confident, uppbeat after #Dolphins game. Mentality has carried through this week. Calmly discussed hit Thursday.

#Texans' Swearinger hasn't watched replay of Keller hit. "Truthfully, I've tried to let it go. I'm sorry. I pray he has a great recovery."

#Texans' D.J. Swearinger: "You can't have any second thoughts on the field. You've got to do what you're going to do." #NFL

#Texans' D.J. Swearinger made his name as a hitter. He'll keep hunting, despite noise after Dustin Keller hit. #NFL

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB15877--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]

"It's my job to be a starter. Every player that comes into the league it's their job to grow ino a starter," Shiloh Keo #Texans

"We just have to go out and play. Hopefully next week you don’t get a letter from the league saying you’re fined." Joseph #Texans

"I don’t think anyone really knows the line," Johnathan Joseph on the line between a legal and illegal hit. #Texans

DeAndre Hopkins is still in phase 1 after suffering a concussion on Saturday. #Texans

Arian Foster went through all of practice today, as did DeVier Posey. They did well, Kubiak said. #Texans

T.J. Yates will be the second quarterback for the #Texans Sunday.

"Disappointed, thought we had an excellent chance of getting him back the 1st week," Kubiak on Antonio Smith's suspension upheld. #Texans
Safety Shiloh Keo now at podium. Said he feels like a veteran now, feels comfortable on field now.

"We stand behind Antonio 100%. He makes the defense go."--CB Johnathan Joseph

CB Johnathan Joseph at podium now. Said Ed Reed knows #Texans playbook front and back. Will be like 2nd coach on field.

"All these kids know who he is,"- Gary Kubiak on presence P Shane Lechler brings to #Texans special teams meeting room.

Kubiak: we've been cautious with punter Shane Lechler. "There's a chance he could punt a couple times in this game."

Kubiak: DeAndre Hopkins is feeling a lot better and was in meetings today, but is still in Phase 1 of concussion protocol.

"Whatever time is left, I'm going to split between T.J. and Case."-Kubiak on playing time after Schaub exits. #Texans

Kubiak: Devier Posey will not play for #Texans on Sunday.

QB TJ Yates will be first off bench after Matt Schaub, according to Kubiak.

Kubiak: Tim Jamison will start Sunday in place of Antonio Smith.

Kubiak: We understand it as a team, we accept it, and we have to meet the challenge.

Gary Kubiak at podium now. Disappointed that Antonio Smith's appeal was denied.
"Guy like that has a huge catch radius. 9 times out 10 he's going to come down with it." - Kareem Jackson on DeAndre Hopkins. #Texans

Kareem Jackson on where he ranks Drew Brees, "maybe top 3. Guy is unbelievable". #Texans

Keo doesn't know if he will be used in the return game Sunday. Said it might be game time decision. #Texans

"No one really knows the line." - Joseph talking about where you can and can't hit players. #Texans #Texanstalk

"you can't ask for a better guy than Drew" - Joseph on going against Brees in the important preseason game 3 tune up. #Texans

"I've reminded those 2 Aggies they better kick well." - Gary Kubiak after asked if he talks with friends about having A&M kickers. #Texans

there is a chance for Shane Lechler to kick Sunday. #Texans

Arian Foster ruled out 4 Sunday. DeAndre Hopkins still in phase 1 of concussion protocol. There was never any plan for him to play. #Texans

Tim Jamison will start for Antonio Smith and T.J. Yates will go with 2nd team. Arian Foster took scout team reps. No Posey Sunday. #Texans
Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
Kareem says he dropped his weight from 195 to about 187 since he entered league. Being lighter and faster is what he needs at his position.

Kareem Jackson (on Drew Brees): Makes great reads. He puts the ball only where his guys can get it.

Johnathan Joseph: This year's receiving corp is the most talented it's been. @HoustonTexans have 5-6 guys who can step in at any time.

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://prod.images.texans.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/TEXANS/assets/images/imported/HOU/photos/clubimages/2013/08-August/temp_BB15877--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG[/IMG]

Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant

Some good stuff in there.

I like Kareem talking about the weight loss. Didn't know that he dropped a little weight since his rookie season.

I think if the starters play well, pull your top guys after halftime. Let Yates have the third and keenum the fourth. But hopefully we play well enough offensively that we can pull Dre, shammy, brown, Myers, OD...everybody else gets an extra quarter of work...

[IMGwidthsize=600]http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/23/33/16/5092284/3/rawImage.jpg[/IMG]

"It's miserable," Kubiak on cutting players.

Ed Reed is in Vail today with his surgeon getting checked out. Will have one more trip to Atlanta before retuning. #TeamLesbian

Wade Smith will return to the field with trainers this week. #Texans

Kubiak told Ben Tate they'd only take him off the field if he wanted to come off. Said he handled it well. #Texans

"It's time to lean," Kubiak on the backup qb race. #Texans

#Texans have started the process of cuts but Kubiak won't disclose until he's talked to all the players.
Ed Reed is in Vail getting injections and spending time with his surgeon. After this week Kubiak feels #Texans will have idea about opener

No snaps for Foster on Thursday, Posey should get some work. Kubiak would like to see him get some snaps. #Texans

Mercilus is expected to be back on the practice field tomorrow. Not sure about PT Thurs. W. Smith will be on field wth trainers #Texans.

Kubiak "Ben's got a chip on his shoulder." Tate handled himself very well during this preseason. #texans

Keenum will start Thursday and then Kubiak will make a choice on the backup spot after that. #Texans

#Texans just finishing up their moves. Media should be notified shortly about cuts.
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
"He's got some things that you can't teach." -- Kubiak on Willie Jefferson.

Darryl Sharpton didn't play on Sunday because he was sick.

There's a chance DeVier Posey could get snaps on Thursday. Arian Foster will not.

Keenum's biggest step has been learning and playing in the system.

Case Keenum will start on Thursday. Kubiak won't name backup QB yet.

Kubiak said they're finishing up cuts process. Hasn't spoken to players yet.

In three preseason games, Texans quarterbacks have a 67.9 completion percentage with 6 TDs and 1 INT. Rating of 102.6.
Kubiak: Brian Cushing's confidence is sky high. #Texans

Kubiak: DE Jared Crick has stepped forward as a player. Feel very good about what he's done. #Texans

Kubiak: Biggest concern on D is getting Mercilus reps with Cushing, Brooks Reed, etc. #Texans

Kubiak: We feel good about knowing Ed Reed's status. Nobody's panicking. We'll know more Thursday/Friday. #Texans

Kubiak: Ed Reed is in Vail, CO today getting injections, meeting with surgeon. Will travel to Atlanta later in week. #Texans

Kubiak: CB A.J. Bouye has been excellent in his work, on both defense and special teams. #Texans

Kubiak: Willie Jefferson has had very good preseason. Has some things you can't teach. #Texans

Kubiak said some of #Texans toughest cuts likely to come at LB & D-line spots.

Kubiak: ILB Darryl Sharpton was sick at hotel. Could've played yesterday but we decided to go w/o him.

Kubiak said Mercilus will practice tomorrow, possibly available to play vs. Cowboys. "He's ready."

Kubiak said LB Mike Mohamed and DL Chris Jones will be back to play vs. Cowboys.

When Kubiak said "time to lean" it sounded as though
he meant "it's time to make a decision", and then he
implied that he was already slightly leaning --
but that he would wait until after the cowboy game to
make a fair comparison.

At least that's what I took from it..

TJ

It's just Kubiak saying that one of these guys needs to separate themselves.

You're right.
Thinking back to past KubeQuotes on this subject, I think "time to lean" refers to both guys being in a dead heat for the #2 QB spot and one of them has to lean forward since we're "at the tape" in this race.

:koolaid:

(on the backup quarterback situation) “What I’ll do is I’ll start (QB) Case (Keenum) this week. They’ll both play a half of football going into this one. Obviously they’re going to be playing with a bunch of young players, but I think it’s been extremely close. It would be hard to make a decision today. But if I would have to make one, I’d make one. I think this game is still important. They’ve continued to get better, each of them, and push each other. I think it’s going to be a good thing for our football team. I’m going to hold off here and let them play this week and then we’ll probably lock in before we go into our total San Diego process which would be the following Thursday. I’m going to let them compete one more week and see how it goes.”

(on LG Wade Smith) “Wade is doing excellent. You’re going to see Wade return to the field with the trainers this week. You’ll see him working off to the side. He’ll start his field work.

(on if ILB Darryl Sharpton is hurt again) “No, he got sick on us. Nobody asked that last night, but we were in the hotel Saturday and he got sick on us after the meeting and wasn’t feeling good. He could’ve played, wanted to play yesterday, but we made a decision right before the game to go without him. Sharp has had a good camp. He’s really worked hard and stayed healthy and we think he can be a fine player for us. That’s what took place.”

(on if it will be hard to cut OLB Willie Jefferson and CB A.J. Bouye) “Well, we do all that next week, so no head starts. Willie’s had a very good preseason. He’s got some things that you can’t teach. He’s got length, athletic ability. (linebackers coach) Reggie (Herring) and (defensive coordinator) Wade (Phillips) have brought him, he’s come a long way with them as far as rushing the passer. Bouye has been a big surprise. It started in OTAs, so wasn’t like it just started in the last couple of weeks. He’s been excellent in his work, but special teams wise, he’s been a big, big positive and that’s so important. If you’re going to be a fourth or fifth corner, you’ve got to be an extremely good special teams player and he has been through the course of preseason.”

(on if he has made the decision to start DE Jared Crick in Week 1) “He and Timmy (DE Tim Jamison) are both playing but I think (DE Jared) Crick has really stepped forward as a player and has really kind of established himself in a lot of ways as our fourth (defensive lineman.

(on how he would compare G/C Ben Jones’ game at left guard to David Quessenberry’s against New Orleans) “I think Ben (Jones) struggled, especially early in the game. Ben played very good at center. Remember, Ben worked on the right side all the time last year. Now he’s working on the left so I think there’s been some adjustments there. I think (David) Quessenberry plays like a rookie. He plays really, really good and then there’s some things we’ve got to fix. "

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...y-Kubiak/727b0039-2078-4139-a3b5-137b9af02188

There's a chance DeVier Posey could get snaps on Thursday.

Kubiak said Mercilus will practice tomorrow, possibly available to play vs. Cowboys. "He's ready."

i'll get it out there now, i absolutely HATED the posey pick. but, he came on real strong at the end of the season and looked like he could be a real player for us. now with yet more time away from the field, can he be the player he was becoming? they dont have to be great, but if posey and hopkins can be good, we have an entirely different offense.

with the way our linebackers have looked to me outside of cushing and reed, mercilus getting better is a huge deal. wade's defenses have an elite pass rusher outside, and we havent found our guy yet ... mercilus could be him.

i'll be watching for these two on thursday, because they could make season changing impacts during the year. hopefully they're healed up and have taken the next step for their sophomore run.

i'll get it out there now, i absolutely HATED the posey pick. but, he came on real strong at the end of the season and looked like he could be a real player for us. now with yet more time away from the field, can he be the player he was becoming? they dont have to be great, but if posey and hopkins can be good, we have an entirely different offense.

I'm not expecting much from Posey on Thursday. He will be rusty as could be. Started to knock off that rust last year but then got injured. I hope he becomes a player but first game back, I'm not expecting much.

tempIMG_4027-278--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

#Texans team luncheon today. This luncheon is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the Houston Texans Foundation.
Leaders Kubiak called out before saying that: Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, J.J. Watt, Brian Cushing, Duane Brown, Ed Reed. #Texans

Kubiak to players: "I don't know if Bob's going to give me 14 banquets. But let's go win a championship. I think we can do that." #Texans

Kubiak on stages of success. 1st you're asked to win. Then you're asked to make playoffs. Then you're asked for a championship. #Texans

Kubiak said he hasn't been around a team that was more hurt at the end of the season than last year's #Texans were. Liked that.

Funny Kubiak today.

Just now Kubiak asked Jefferson & Quessenberry to stand up at luncheon, then told them he was just kidding and they could sit down. #Texans
Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith
#Texans' J.J. Watt jokes, "You've got to step it up, bro," before another fan question is asked. #NFL #ArianFoster

#Texans' Arian Foster is leading a one-man effort to improve lame sports questions from media/fans. Not much progress. But he's trying.

#Texans' Arian Foster jokingly rips a bad fan question. "That's a bad question, man." Adds, "We've got to hold people accountable." #NFL

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
In Kubiak's speech he said John Elway didn't win it all til his 15th year. "I don't know if Bob (McNair) is going 2 give me 14 banquets"
Foster says that Sharpton "has the sickest sense of humor on the team"

Foster, Watt, Brown all say Brian Cushing pregame ritual is the most insane. #texans. Cushing said he likes to watch Bullock improve his core

You want people to say to you in this biz, "can you win the big one?" Kubiak said everyonr always asked Elway if he can win the big one.

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Kubiak uses Elway as an example of how hard it is to win a championship in the NFL.

Gary Kubiak said he never saw a team hurt like the Texans did after they lost in the playoffs last year.

Kubiak is really charming this crowd. Funny guy.

Kubiak said he told David Quessenberry, Willie Jefferson they would be giving speeches. He just announced at luncheon that he was kidding.

The Texans do a lot of work in the community and this luncheon is the biggest Texans Foundation fundraiser of the year.

Matt Schaub wins the Spirit of the Bull award for his efforts off the field.

At the head table: Marciano, Wade Phillips, Dennison, Rick Smith, Kubiak and Bob McNair

Ed Reed is back from Vail. He's at the Texans luncheon.

There is a pretty epic introduction for the players at this Texans luncheon.
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Posey will play about 12 plays in the game.

DeAndre Hopkins might be cleared tomorrow to return.
Deepi Sidhu ‏@DeepSlant
Kubiak: DeAndre Hopkins in stage 4 of 5 in concussion protocol. Could play Thursday. @HoustonTexans
There is a chance Hopkins will play Thurs. He is moving through stages. Kubiak said that Mercilus worked harder than anyone today.

I don't think it would be wise for Nuk to play on Thursday even if he's cleared.

Last edited:
Posey will play about 12 plays in the game.

DeAndre Hopkins might be cleared tomorrow to return.

Kubiak: DeAndre Hopkins in stage 4 of 5 in concussion protocol. Could play Thursday. @HoustonTexans

There is a chance Hopkins will play Thurs. He is moving through stages. Kubiak said that Mercilus worked harder than anyone today.

All great news.

The best part:

Just now Kubiak asked Jefferson & Quessenberry to stand up at luncheon, then told them he was just kidding and they could sit down. #Texans

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
DeAndre Hopkins has been totally cleared to return to practice. Good chance he plays Thursday. #Texans1:33 PM - 27 Aug 2013

So he has been cleared....

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
DeAndre Hopkins has been totally cleared to return to practice. Good chance he plays Thursday. #Texans1:33 PM - 27 Aug 2013

So he has been cleared....

I really wish they would handle both Hopkins & Posey with kid gloves ,everything to lose and nothing to be gained or proven by them playing against the cowpies.

I want to see posey and Hopkins take some snaps. They need to take some contact. Not a whole lot, but they a few plays will do them good.

I want to see posey and Hopkins take some snaps. They need to take some contact. Not a whole lot, but they a few plays will do them good.

Tell that to the Doc .... who tells us how much more likely a concussion after a concussion.

Im concerned about the long term health of both of these guys. Had the call been mine to make , I'd have PUP'd Posey giving him another ~8 weeks to make sure he's ready. And Hopkins wouldn't see the field until San Diego .....

Tell that to the Doc .... who tells us how much more likely a concussion after a concussion.

Im concerned about the long term health of both of these guys. Had the call been mine to make , I'd have PUP'd Posey giving him another ~8 weeks to make sure he's ready. And Hopkins wouldn't see the field until San Diego .....

If they are ready to play, they are ready to play.

A concussion being more likely isn't going to change. He could get another concussion tommorrow or in a week.

As far as posey goes, if he's going to be on the active roster, he needs to take some snaps to start getting back in football shape. If a guy is ready to go it does no good to sit him. If he's not ready to go, then that's on the medical staff. But holding him out if he's healthy and ready is only delaying him getting back to normal.

Back