Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trading Down: lesson from 1977

TwinSisters

Veteran
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2001/03/20/sayitaintso_seahawks/

Going into their second year, the Seattle Seahawks were still building. Thus, in the mind of GM John Thompson, the building needed bricks, not ornamental trim that stood to get crushed behind an expansion offensive line. Dorsett probably felt the same way, which is why his agent allegedly put out word that Dorsett wouldn't play for Seattle.

Tony Dorsett Tony Dorsett won the Super Bowl in his rookie year. Rick Stewart/Allsport
So even with Dorsett's NCAA rushing records and Heisman Trophy out there for the taking, the Seahawks went for quantity they could use over quality they likely would squander.

The third second-round pick* acquired in the deal bounced around in a pair of other trades that day that resulted in C Geoff Reece (L.A. Rams), WR Duke Ferguson (Dallas) and LB Peter Cronan (draft) also coming to Seattle.

"People can argue whether what we did at Seattle was good or bad," former Seahawks front office member Bob Ferguson said years later, "but all I know is that those guys all ended up starting for us and we went 9-7 in our third year in the league."

True. August, Beeson, Cronan, Lynch and Ferguson combined to play 317 games in a combined 24 seasons. Nothing you'll find in the highlight films, but they were there when the Seahawks needed them.

Dorsett, however, ran for more than 1,000 yards in eight of his first nine seasons, led the league in rushing during the strike-shortened '82 season (when his string of 1,000-yard campaigns was broken), won two Super Bowls and retired as the second-leading rusher in NFL history behind Walter Payton.

The same is true of The Elway trade from the Colts. On the other hand, the Ricky Williams and Herschel Walker trades went in the other direction.

I tend to think that if your team sucked enough to earn such a high pick, then your team should use said pick to get elite talent. If you can't get elite talent, then trade down.

As for trading up, it seems to rarely be worth it. Unless they can move up and snag Peterson or Thomas, I'm hoping the Texans chill at 8 and go BPA. Looks like the top of this draft is deep enough to allow this squad to pocket some talent at 8.

Anyway, I just want to see this team stop making bone headed moves. Like the Casserly cuteness of passing on Derrick Johnson to trade down and pocket Travis Johnson.

but then again, check out the chargers trading down in '01.

Yes and they didn't hit 12-4 go to the championship game.... untill after they pluged the hole at OLT ...even with those guys.

Another point....Would you have been willing to for go A.J.
to have multipul picks in '04 ? They may well move up for all day. Go against the denver history and go with a frachise guy and dump the platoon system. Take it on the chin in '07 and set up the '08 draft. But if you think that is the golden bebe to get the club over the hump, that is not going to happen, inspite of all the banging on 610, untill thay solve the o-line problem. Spencer doens't make it back by opening day...All Day is looking at eight and nine in a box untill he does come back. His history sugests that will not be a good thing for All Day. I know he's good, but Jim Brown good ? I hope you correct.

The salary cap was not in effect in 1977. Historical reference? Yes. Lesson? No as they are two different eras.

Back