Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trader Nick: How many trades will Nick make in the 2024 Draft?

Interesting stat pointed out by Cody Stoots, 18 of the 23 Draft Picks that Caserio has made, have been traded for. (credit to Texasphan for reporting that stat).

How many trades will Trader Nick make this year?

Last edited:
I think he’ll make at least 3, with 2 of those moving up to get a player.

Texans currently have 9 picks in the draft. I think we come away with 7 players after trades.

I’d love to see them make no trades. Draft well and start transitioning away from multiple FA signings.

Trying to decide 42 worth trading for 66 and 71?

Does anyone really think this is a black and white question/answer?

The trade value chart has it close to even with just a tad lean toward 66/71, but that's almost entirely meaningless without knowing who's been taken and who's still in play. And of course those considerations are then unique to the teams involved and their particular draft boards/needs.

It's just a flip of the coin without any real time data.

Get 104 as well and I’d probably make the deal. 66, 71, and 104.
I just don't get why you would want to trade down from a position where there are proven difference makers to a spot where you hope to hit on guys that may or may not become starters. Ryans and Caserio said they think they traded into the sweet spot in the draft and you want to trade out of the sweet spot for more lotto tickets? I just don't get this line of thinking.

The trade value chart has it close to even with just a tad lean toward 66/71, but that's almost entirely meaningless without knowing who's been taken and who's still in play. And of course those considerations are then unique to the teams involved and their particular draft boards/needs.

That and the fact you just jumped back behind 24+ more highly rated draftees.

I just don't get why you would want to trade down from a position where there are proven difference makers to a spot where you hope to hit on guys that may or may not become starters. Ryans and Caserio said they think they traded into the sweet spot in the draft and you want to trade out of the sweet spot for more lotto tickets? I just don't get this line of thinking.
It really depends on who Houston is targeting at 42 and if they are still available when they are on the clock. For example, say they are have a tier of players they like at #42 (Edgerrin Cooper, Peyton Wilson or Braden Fiske for example). If all those players are gone and you think someone from your next tier will be available at #66 then why would you not take that trade and get the extra pick?

It really depends on who Houston is targeting at 42 and if they are still available when they are on the clock. For example, say they are have a tier of players they like at #42 (Edgerrin Cooper, Peyton Wilson or Braden Fiske for example). If all those players are gone and you think someone from your next tier will be available at #66 then why would you not take that trade and get the extra pick?
They wouldn't have traded back if they didn't think one of the guys they like would be available. I could even see Caserio trading back up to the late 1st if a guy Caserio/Ryans likes falls to the late 1st/early 2nd. Doubtful he trades back even further.

McKinstry/DeJohn/ Newton are possible trade up possibilities IMHO.

They wouldn't have traded back if they didn't think one of the guys they like would be available. I could even see Caserio trading back up to the late 1st if a guy Caserio/Ryans likes falls to the late 1st/early 2nd. Doubtful he trades back even further.

McKinstry/DeJohn/ Newton are possible trade up possibilities IMHO.
In that argument, why would they trade up if they thought one of their targets would be available at 42? Trading back further makes more sense to me then trading up. Why trade #23 if that is in the plans then?

In that argument, why would they trade up if they thought one of their targets would be available at 42? Trading back further makes more sense to me then trading up. Why trade #23 if that is in the plans then?
Caserio explained it in his last session with Vandemeer & Harris. If the draft gets around 20 and someone unexpected is available then you start looking at who may want to trade down and how much it will cost. He pretty much said it's doubtful they make a move Thursday but not impossible.

Only so many players that can make the team. Quality over quantity now that the roster has been basically set!

Caserio explained it in his last session with Vandemeer & Harris. If the draft gets around 20 and someone unexpected is available then you start looking at who may want to trade down and how much it will cost. He pretty much said it's doubtful they make a move Thursday but not impossible.
It is not something that would make sense because I think it would cost us more than a 2nd rounder to move back into the 20's.

It is not something that would make sense because I think it would cost us more than a 2nd rounder to move back into the 20's.
I think it would only make sense if the prospect was worth the price paid.

But I doubt that we’ll be moving on Thursday. I could see us moving up early Friday if one of our top prospects fell.

Nick should be able to get up into the late 20s of the first with his #42 & 3rd round pick and
I'll bet he does it Thursday if there's somebody on his Board who Demeco really wants.

Nick should be able to get up into the late 20s of the first with his #42 & 3rd round pick and
I'll bet he does it Thursday if there's somebody on his Board who Demeco really wants.
How would you feel about this?

Trade 2-42 and a 2024 2nd to move to the bottom of the first, top of the 2nd

Pick at 2-59

Trade 3-86, 4-123 and a 6th to move into the 2nd

2.McKinstry
2.Wilson
2.Hall Jr
4. Reihman
6 Watson or Tracy

Get 104 as well and I’d probably make the deal. 66, 71, and 104.
I looked into that actually but 66 and 71 by the point scale is a few to our advantage. If there was an extremely high impact player that Cardinals needed, they might, but I sincerely doubt it. They have too many draft picks to select what they need to overpay.

You are certain that there are no impact players in round two?
Edit: remember your guy Leggett is there.
There are plenty of impact players at 2-42. Impact players I've got in the 2nd at position of need who are on the level of Legette are

P. Wilson
Cooper
Sainristil
R. Green
Fiske
Hall
Sweat
Nubin
Bishop.

Well of course, but by that standard we could just close down this message board.

I just don't get why you would want to trade down from a position where there are proven difference makers to a spot where you hope to hit on guys that may or may not become starters. Ryans and Caserio said they think they traded into the spot in the draft and you want to trade out of the sweet spot for more lotto tickets? I just don't get this line of thinking.
First of all, iirc, Nick said rounds two, three and part of round four I think were his sweet spot. Why did he trade out of 23 only to get two round two's? Well he got a Difference Maker with a 2025 round 2. By your logic, 23 would have given him a greater chance than the two round twos.
What was all that we heard from you for months about Xavier Legette? You insisted he could be more than just a Difference Maker. By the way I agree with that. Have you changed your opinion since he should be available in round 3 now?

Most here seem to think Blake Corum and Jaylen Wright are difference makers.

Sainristil, Abrams-Draine and Khyree Jackson could start on this roster.
That's my thinking. I have not decided and despite some thinking only in "black and white", I would not make a trade until I knew what is available at 42.

Nebulous hypotheticals are what is talked about in mock draft talk, trade discussion and many other things. If you don't want to participate just don't.
They certainly can be, but they're far - like really far - from the only thing.

And I did want to talk about it, that's why I said what I said about it.

Thanks.

He did stress the cost and it making sense. Finding a trade partner might not be easy either in the limited time available

So it's okay to drop behind 20 from 23 to 42? Do you even read what you post before you hit the post button?
We have already dropped back so why do it again? Just so you can have fun with mocks?

Last edited:
First of all, iirc, Nick said rounds two, three and part of round four I think were his sweet spot. Why did he trade out of 23 only to get two round two's? Well he got a Difference Maker with a 2025 round 2. By your logic, 23 would have given him a greater chance than the two round twos.
What was all that we heard from you for months about Xavier Legette? You insisted he could be more than just a Difference Maker. By the way I agree with that. Have you changed your opinion since he should be available in round 3 now?

Most here seem to think Blake Corum and Jaylen Wright are difference makers.

Sainristil, Abrams-Draine and Khyree Jackson could start on this roster.
That's my thinking. I have not decided and despite some thinking only in "black and white", I would not make a trade until I knew what is available at 42.
I would pick Wright and Hall Jr over Legette. But I love Legette in the 3rd, although he disappointed me at the Sr. Bowl with his lack of route running abd that he came in at 6'1 instead of 6'3

I look at things differently.

I see Strouds rookie contract as the best chance to win a SB is the next 2 years before DM is going to want to get Stroud paid.

For this reason Caserio should do what it takes to get 3 or 4 playmakers in here regardless of position. I knew Caserio and Ryans were good individually, but was a team they've got the potential to be great.

I look at things differently.

I see Strouds rookie contract as the best chance to win a SB is the next 2 years before DM is going to want to get Stroud paid.

For this reason Caserio should do what it takes to get 3 or 4 playmakers in here regardless of position. I knew Caserio and Ryans were good individually, but was a team they've got the potential to be great.
I think Casserio might move up for a single player but yea they may sit tight and use those picks for whichever players are on their Board.
This Draft is much different for us than it's been in years because we are now in the discussion
with the other contenders, and dang it feels good !

I’ll guess 7 trades and honestly that might be low. Nick has proven to be among the most active in terms of moving both up and down the board. It makes it more interesting and fun to follow. On his moves up..my only hope is it’s for guys that can make a difference, not the Garret Wallow’s of the world.

Two not all that bold predictions…

He will trade up from 42 to somewhere between 35-40. I have several guys in my mind that the Texans might covet and won’t want to chance him falling to 42.

He will trade down from either 59 or 86 and procure a 2nd or 3rd round in 2025 out of the transaction. It could be part of a package of picks. He will try to basically regain the pick he used for Diggs…or something close to it.

* Edit for a 3rd not so bold prediction. Nick will procure a 5th rounder in this draft.

Last edited:
Nick has already made two draft trades, moving down to #42 and then moving the future 2nd he picked up to trade for Diggs. While I don't see the opportunities to move up as in previous years due to lack of draft capital, I also don't think Caserio makes 4 picks in the last 2 rounds. Some of these will get moved, somehow. Counting the two mentioned trades, I would put the over/under at 4.5 trades, and I'll take the under at 4.

Nick has already made two draft trades, moving down to #42 and then moving the future 2nd he picked up to trade for Diggs. While I don't see the opportunities to move up as in previous years due to lack of draft capital, I also don't think Caserio makes 4 picks in the last 2 rounds. Some of these will get moved, somehow. Counting the two mentioned trades, I would put the over/under at 4.5 trades, and I'll take the under at 4.
I am strongly backing Lucky's play here, I think his number's are spot on.

Last edited:
I'll take the over, especially if it's already sitting at two trades made.

Okie, I thought we were specifically talking during the draft.
I'm thinking two during the draft.

Why, you dont like the results from last yr?

Teams should be built through all 3 avenues. Draft/FA/Trades.

It's only taken 2 decades for the McNair's to realize this. About time

Quality over quantity.
I liked the results from last years draft/trades even while you were pathetically dismissing our first pick. I’m all in for a good FA or two pick up every year. But I’d rather look for gems in the draft before resorting to FA one year hole fillers as a first approach. Even more so in a draft year like this one.

If it's 4.5 trades on draft weekend, give me the over. Y'all must have forgotten that Trader Nick is the GM.

Back