Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trade for a Raiders CB!!

DerekLee1

Veteran
I'd sell next year's farm to get one of the Raiders' corners right about now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5695925

The Oakland Raiders called around the league this week and let it be known that any of their players are available in a trade, according to league sources.

Raiders players that have drawn interest around the league since training camp began include linebacker Thomas Howard and cornerback Chris Johnson.

This is not the first time the Raiders have made exploratory calls of this variety, offering up any number of players on their roster.

The same thing happened at this time last year as well, just before the trade deadline, when the Raiders were willing to conduct a fire sale of their roster but then never made any moves.

The same could happen this year, but if the Raiders do not perform the way they hope Sunday versus San Francisco, the likelihood that the team makes a deal or two before Tuesday's trade deadline could increase.

How about all of our draft picks next year for Seymour (DT), Asomugha (CB), C. Johnson (CB), and Huff (FS)? I would do it.

This is some great news to wake up to :D. I highly doubt any of our top players will be traded (mainly Aso, McFadden, & Miller), unless a team offers something crazy...at least I hope thats the case. Man these next few days are going to be nerve-wracking.

If Kubiak and Rick Smith want to save their jobs, they should seriously consider trading for a cornerback.

I'd sell next year's farm to get one of the Raiders' corners right about now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5695925

The Texans won't ever do that with Rick Smith as our GM. As badly as we need a guy like Nnamdi to turn this secondary around, we won't do it. We've had all kinds of chances to go after safeties that we really needed in free agency and we wouldn't even do that. We rolled the dice with a rookie and a 2nd year player going into this season at CB and Eugene Wilson at safety. SMith will go after another CB in the draft maybe, but there is no way he trades early picks like that and that's what it would take.

The Texans won't ever do that with Rick Smith as our GM. As badly as we need a guy like Nnamdi to turn this secondary around, we won't do it. We've had all kinds of chances to go after safeties that we really needed in free agency and we wouldn't even do that. We rolled the dice with a rookie and a 2nd year player going into this season at CB and Eugene Wilson at safety. SMith will go after another CB in the draft maybe, but there is no way he trades early picks like that and that's what it would take.

If Bob McNair goes to Rick Smith and says, "you fix this defense NOW or you're fired", he would.

The Texans have one of the youngest teams in the league, and we're pretty solid in most positions outside of the secondary. With no major contracts expiring this year and considering our youth, losing a couple of draft picks is NOT going to hurt us much long-term. PULL THE F-ING TRIGGER!!! Get ASO!!

Its becoming quite clear that we won't be solving our defensive problems via free agency and with DeMeco out for the season we need to make a move. McNair has dig into his pockets and has to be willing to let go of an asset (draft picks, etc) if we want to make an impact this year. Doubtful either happens.

I'd rather trade for one of Denver's CB. Either Goodman or Bailey; they're older and would cost much less.

I'd rather have an impact DT that can pressure the QB though.

Its becoming quite clear that we won't be solving our defensive problems via free agency and with DeMeco out for the season we need to make a move. McNair has dig into his pockets and has to be willing to let go of an asset (draft picks, etc) if we want to make an impact this year. Doubtful either happens.

Pretty much. I'm guessing we'll here the "We gotta roll with our guys, we have faith in the guys we have here." mess.

Texans need a lot of help on defense on top of a DT, CB, and FS...now a LB. Raiders actually have a lot of talent on their defense, and some of these guys will be happy to come to a 4-2 team.

Any news yet?

I thought this would have been done by now. Oh and get their LB Thomas while you're in the checkout lane. DeMeco is done until 2011.

Pretty much. I'm guessing we'll here the "We gotta roll with our guys, we have faith in the guys we have here." mess.

Even if the Texans try to strike a deal and fail they should say that.

The Raiders might be saying they are willing to trade, but their management is dumb enough to demand far too much for their talent.

What would happen if we were to trade for Asomugha and they just throw it on our other corners? They're still gonna suck.

Would still be nice though :)

What would happen if we were to trade for Asomugha and they just throw it on our other corners? They're still gonna suck.

Atleast the QB would have to make a read, and we can roll coverage to the other side to make it difficult.

If you have someone like Aso, Quinn can be what he really is: a Nr.2 corner. And KJ can finally be what he should be right now: a slot corner. They will be all right in that department.

And when the QB needs to wait longer than 2 seconds to find someone open, our D-line should be able to get to him... getting a guy like Aso would mean a ripple effect for the whole defense... and then of course for the whole team!

Aso covers the #1 receiver by himself. We can put tighter coverage on the #2. It would make a big difference to take our worst CB off the field and replace him with a pro bowler. It may not fix the problem, but it would sure help.

If you have someone like Aso, Quinn can be what he really is: a Nr.2 corner. And KJ can finally be what he should be right now: a slot corner. They will be all right in that department.

And when the QB needs to wait longer than 2 seconds to find someone open, our D-line should be able to get to him... getting a guy like Aso would mean a ripple effect for the whole defense... and then of course for the whole team!

THIS.

You tie up the opposition's best receiver with Aso, you can give Quin safety help. Then bring in KJ in nickel packages until he proves he can be in coverage by himself.

Look, we spent a first and 4th this year to try and find a corner and it didn't happen. We're gonna have to do it again and roll the dice. Or you can land a sure thing with the same package. We could've have Cromartie for a 3rd last year (Jets got him with a 4th). I'd rather have Cromartie and my 1st and 4th back right now.

If I'm Rick Smith, I treat the Raiders like a flea market...

Shop around for what you want/need and bargain to get the best price possible...

I'd seriously get two or three of their players..

Oakland just lost, but they are still in a race for the division. I don't think they will be overly eager to sell their players. They will be holding out for a good package.

"Hey there, Coach. Sorry I'm a little late, but the circumstances here are a little strange."

"You're fine. Here's the only play you need to know: Dwayne Bowe. Go out there and stop him."

"I'm still wearing a Raiders uniform."

"Just GO!"

LMAO! Seriously, if we got Aso, CJ, maybe Huff, and any other player worth adding (their TE Zach Miller is underrated as hell), I would be more then excited, would make our team that much better.

Oakland just lost, but they are still in a race for the division. I don't think they will be overly eager to sell their players. They will be holding out for a good package.

They won't win with those QB's they have, and they know this season is a waste. They're wanting a 1st and some change to try to land a franchise QB to go along with some good RB's. Chris Johnson is a good CB, and Aso's contract is enormous. I think Aso can be had for a 1st plus a 2nd or 3rd.

Amobi Okoye and a 3 for Seymour. Then next years 1 plus the following seasons 2 (or Jacoby Jones, his choice) for Asomugha.

Then walk away from the table.

A thread for wishful thinkers and dreamers.

Everybody needs to have a dream right? I'm dreaming of the Texans fixing their defense in time for the Colts game and I'm almost out of opportunities so this "fantasy" is all I have left. They have pieces we need, we have draft picks we can afford to spend and players they might be interested in trying to develop. If not then we have more draft picks they could use. We're damn near the youngest team in the NFL, how long are we going to stay that way? Lets get a real shut down corner in here, roll Kareem back to nickle where he belongs at this stage in his career, and get a big ass defensive tackle who can make Mario and Antoine's efforts at DE pay off.

Amobi Okoye and a 3 for Seymour. Then next years 1 plus the following seasons 2 (or Jacoby Jones, his choice) for Asomugha.

This is good stuff. I imagine the Raiders would be interested in this as well. I'm sure they try to get a little bit more out of us, and I would be willing to toss in another 4th rounder or Slaton to tip the scales. As people have mentioned, maybe Leinart could be a small piece to this puzzle as well.

And since when has Mcnair ever been that kind of guy? Just the thought of that is laughable.

What is perceived of him in public is much different than his attitude behind closed doors. That man wants nothing more than to win. While he won't go all Al Davis or Jerry Jones and play GM, if he wants his defense fixed, I have no doubt he'll lay the hammer down.

I think even the Raaaaaiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddaaaaaaassssssssss recognize Okeye as garbage so forget that.

Just throw our weight at getting Asomugha.

I think even the Raaaaaiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddaaaaaaassssssssss recognize Okeye as garbage so forget that.

Just throw our weight at getting Asomugha.

They will also recognize that we are desperate and therefore negotiating from a weak position. We could end up trading our future to the Raiders and still not be as better off as we'd like to be.

Everybody needs to have a dream right? I'm dreaming of the Texans fixing their defense in time for the Colts game and I'm almost out of opportunities so this "fantasy" is all I have left. They have pieces we need, we have draft picks we can afford to spend and players they might be interested in trying to develop. If not then we have more draft picks they could use. We're damn near the youngest team in the NFL, how long are we going to stay that way? Lets get a real shut down corner in here, roll Kareem back to nickle where he belongs at this stage in his career, and get a big ass defensive tackle who can make Mario and Antoine's efforts at DE pay off.

It is not even that trades don't make sense from the Texans veiwpoint, but the three or four trades that have went down in the last few weeks is a lot for the NFL during its trade deadline much less what is rumored to be on the block. It is easier for me to not get my hopes up than to deal in extreme exceptions.

As for the Texans' D, I have conceded that this year is about how far the offense can take us. I get frustrated during the actual games, but once its over I know what I am dealing with: scoring bunches of points and hoping for just enough from the defense.

They will also recognize that we are desperate and therefore negotiating from a weak position. We could end up trading our future to the Raiders and still not be as better off as we'd like to be.

"our future"? Are you going to build for our future every year until the sun burns out? Are we in a never ending cycle of bringing in 7 or so new guys every season and thinking they're going to come in and make us magically playoff contenders? Well, at some point you stop getting better by adding talented rookies and begin improving through experience. We have a young team with barely a starter dating back before the the 2006 draft. We're missing a couple of significant pieces, one of which is a ***** and a half to find (shut down corner) so do you want to just let Andre Johnson grow old waiting for us to draft a guy like Aso? IF we can even find one? AJ's in his 8th season now, he and Schaub won't be here forever. When are we finished building the team and ready to start fighting in the postseason?

I understand that in a way it's a never ending process (building a team) but you build the team through the draft (we been doing that for five years now) and then fill holes and remaining needs through trades and free agency. There are no dominant defensive tackles or shut down cornerbacks wandering around looking for a job. You have to give something to get something and we're deep in places and young. Young teams can go a year or two without a first round draft pick if we're getting players for those picks who will lock out a third of the field or collapse the pocket giving our ends the chance to start piling up sacks.

Ok now after a few hours thinking it over comeone guyz a 1st round pick for a CB off another team

we just spent a 1st round on Jackson and its going to take more then a 1st to get ASO

besides our CB depth is there kinda i think we need a CB but someone else with not has high of a price tag maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick type CB

i think we need a DE or SS or Lbers instead at this point

i was looking at the Dolphins CB depth and they have some nice CB maybe we should look there

Back