Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Top DT prospect and a future 3rd rounder

ATX

Hall of Fame
i was just thinking about how we all would have felt last year, if someone said casserly was gonna get the best DT prospect in the draft as well as a future 3rd rounder. i think well over 90 percent would have said wow that would be a great move. it just seems since the Texans began as a team that alot of people have been saying go DL in the draft and now that we have gone DL it doesn't seem to be as popular as i would have thought. i think alot of this has to do with the fact that alot of people thought we might go with a DJ, WR, or OT this year and DL wasn't big on the wishlist. in hindsight, i'm glad we didn't take DJ or an OT. DL needs to be filled now because that area has been lacking since year one when Payne and Walker had a great year. both of these guys are on the downside of their careers, especially walker, and i'm not sure how long they'll be around. i'm thinking Walker is gone after this year while payne might stay around for awhile, especially with the new contract and considering he hasn't been 100 percent since the new orleans game.

atxcoolguy said:
i was just thinking about how we all would have felt last year, if someone said casserly was gonna get the best DT prospect in the draft as well as a future 3rd rounder. i think well over 90 percent would have said wow that would be a great move. it just seems since the Texans began as a team that alot of people have been saying go DL in the draft and now that we have gone DL it doesn't seem to be as popular as i would have thought. i think alot of this has to do with the fact that alot of people thought we might go with a DJ, WR, or OT this year and DL wasn't big on the wishlist. in hindsight, i'm glad we didn't take DJ or an OT. DL needs to be filled now because that area has been lacking since year one when Payne and Walker had a great year. both of these guys are on the downside of their careers, especially walker, and i'm not sure how long they'll be around. i'm thinking Walker is gone after this year while payne might stay around for awhile, especially with the new contract and considering he hasn't been 100 percent since the new orleans game.

I would have loved it then and I love it now. I think it is a great trade for the future of our club. :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Im digging the picks we made :). I still would have preffered Pollack to Johnson.. but ive got a man crush on Pollack so that doesnt really count :).

Johnson could be just what we need to provide a pass rush.. and may even be that "threat in the front 7" that we were lacking. Though I think with Johnson, Babin, and Peek as starters.. we will have plenty of threatened opponents :).

And even though I dont like us losing Glenn.. or sharper.. It doesnt not FEEL like the team is regressing.. it feels like we are still taking huge leaps forward. We will see what happens next season though.

It will take some time before anybody knows how this works out and I'm not sure what to think about it. Who knows how he'll transform at the pro level? It seems he really improved from his junior to senior season and is a player on the rise who wants to prove the Texans made a good pick. It was a prudent pick because of the d-line depth it just seems risky to take that position at such a critical point in your draft. CC and Capers thought it was great because they got the best d-lineman on their board at #16 compared to previous drafts when that position went higher. Of course they didn't mention all the first round busts at the position and that its drafting position has taken a dive in recent years because teams have taken notice and want more of a sure thing. I'm taking a positive attitude towards it though the rehaul is in full force unfortunately it will be months before we see how it shakes out. :violin

Considering how weak of a draft it is at DT, I would have felt just as bad about it.

Because there was no depth at the DT(maybe the worst position in this year's draft) we reached for someone that would not have gone in the first round in last years class.

Spears and DJ both would have been top 20 picks regardless.

ComstockLode said:
Considering how weak of a draft it is at DT, I would have felt just as bad about it.

Because there was no depth at the DT(maybe the worst position in this year's draft) we reached for someone that would not have gone in the first round in last years class.

Spears and DJ both would have been top 20 picks regardless.

Dont act like you know where Spears and DJ would have gone in last years class. And you have no idea where Travis Johnson would have gone.

Just wait and see how he performs on the pro level before you pass judgement.

have any of u seen johnnson play, he looks to have a lot of talent, and though i doubt he'll start i think he will make an impact on the line and eventually take over the starting role.

Back