Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Too Much Noise

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
The league has long had an uneasy relationship with crowd noise, and may soon embark on its latest quest to overcome it - not by hushing fans, but by allowing visiting players the benefit of a helmet-to-helmet wireless communication system.

The noise issue came to the forefront as the Giants prepared for today’s game against the Seahawks at Qwest Field, the notoriously loud stadium in Seattle. When the teams played there last November, the Giants were called for 11 false-start penalties, the kind often caused by a failure to communicate. The Giants had 16 penalties over all, the highest number for the franchise since 1949, and lost in overtime, 24-21.

The N.F.L. is not antinoise, exactly. It just does not appreciate certain types at certain times. The N.F.L. rule book even has a 900-word section devoted to crowd noise; too much when the visiting offense is on the field can draw a penalty for the home team.

Link

I don't recall an official in an NFL game ever throwing a noise flag.

Link

Need an old Saints fan to confirm this. I remember an Eagles- Saints game in the late 60's in the old Sugar bowl where they flaged the Saints fans for noise. They just got louder. Only time I have ever seen that flag.

That's stupid. Soon enough they will all be wearing power armor and each be able to transform into their own type of dinosaur. Do we have to upgrade technology in every part of our culture? Jeeeeez.

An a more serious note.... crowd noise has always been a part of the game and it should remain the same. It is what binds us to the team.... we really are helping them out. Eli probably *****ed about it, that's why they will consider changing it. At this point..... marquee QBs are getting pampered, and it makes me sick. That's a different argument altogether, I guess.

:twocents:

Link

IIRC, there was a time many moons ago (70s???) that the NFL did throw flags on the fans for noise when the opponets couldn't hear the count. I believe it was a delay of game 5 yarder.

IIRC, there was a time many moons ago (70s???) that the NFL did throw flags on the fans for noise when the opponets couldn't hear the count. I believe it was a delay of game 5 yarder.

I recall one being thrown 20 or 30 years ago but can't remember if it was college or NFL. Thinking about it--the one time I recall the officials saying something to the crowd it just egged them on rather than quieted them. Pretty freakin' rare either way. Why have the rule on the books if you invite people to violate it? We'd like your porridge, I mean noise, to be just right.

It happened at the Dome back in the Luv Ya Blue days! Fans got so loud the quarterback backed away several times indicating to the ref that he could not hear. Ref warned the fans which fired us up more and a flag was throw. After the flag was throw the Oiler players had to try and calm the crowd telling us to quit down! I always wondered if the rule had changed or why I never saw these flags anymore.

NFL= Golf/Tennis

I don't get it.. that is what homefield advantage is for.. what next.. if a warm weather team has to play up in new england.. they going to move to a neutral site?

oh what maybe that is why the city of houston /bob McNair forked over a bunch of money for a stadium with a retractible roof that the NFL can say when or when it can't be open/closed.

:hmmm:

It happened at the Dome back in the Luv Ya Blue days! Fans got so loud the quarterback backed away several times indicating to the ref that he could not hear. Ref warned the fans which fired us up more and a flag was throw. After the flag was throw the Oiler players had to try and calm the crowd telling us to quit down! I always wondered if the rule had changed or why I never saw these flags anymore.

It happened at a lot of stadiums back in the late 80's (rough guess) after they adopted the crowd noise rule, especially in the domes. I remember how QBs used to go under center, then back out and shrug to the ref as if to say "I can't hear anything." Refs would warn coaches. Coaches would flap their arms..... There was a year or two when they actually flagged it but they don't really enforce it any more ... either that or the rule was repealed.

It happened at a lot of stadiums back in the late 80's (rough guess) after they adopted the crowd noise rule, especially in the domes. I remember how QBs used to go under center, then back out and shrug to the ref as if to say "I can't hear anything." Refs would warn coaches. Coaches would flap their arms..... There was a year or two when they actually flagged it but they don't really enforce it any more ... either that or the rule was repealed.

Whats up with the bag?

Et to aj?

IIRC, the noise thing became an issue with the advent of the dome stadiums. When stadiums were open air and typically had one open end, the noise/hearing wasn't an issue. Also, the fans have become a bit more into the game and really get noisy.

Giants wont want to go back to Qwest - that was loud again. How many false starts - and against the same player as last year.

What if the crowd just won't stop??? I mean what if they give you that penalty...and the crowd keeps cheering??? And is it really fair to penalize the players ??? I mean there could be visiting fans making a lot of noise... What about in the superbowl...which is most of the time pretty neutral??? That...is....ree-dic-u-lus....The best solution would be to just give them the communication thing in their helmets...

What if the crowd just won't stop??? I mean what if they give you that penalty...and the crowd keeps cheering??? And is it really fair to penalize the players ??? I mean there could be visiting fans making a lot of noise... What about in the superbowl...which is most of the time pretty neutral??? That...is....ree-dic-u-lus....The best solution would be to just give them the communication thing in their helmets...

& that takes the crowd out of the game.

should the NBA put a black curtain behind the backboard when Shaq goes to shoot free throws??

& that takes the crowd out of the game.

should the NBA put a black curtain behind the backboard when Shaq goes to shoot free throws??

Well...maybe you misunderstood me...I think that if they do anything about it...they should choose option #2....I honestly don't have a problem with all the players having a speaker or hearing device in their helmet....we are advancing as far as the physical and Mental side goes...wo why not provide advances in technology...I actually think that is BRILLIANT!!! Everything can't stay the same forever, and I think eventually it WILL happen....

Well...maybe you misunderstood me...I think that if they do anything about it...they should choose option #2....I honestly don't have a problem with all the players having a speaker or hearing device in their helmet....we are advancing as far as the physical and Mental side goes...wo why not provide advances in technology...I actually think that is BRILLIANT!!! Everything can't stay the same forever, and I think eventually it WILL happen....

I have wondered why they haven't done this before. League rule? If the QB can have it, why not others? Why not have the QB with a mike that plays into the O-linemans helmets so they hear the snap count? Why not have the defensive guys tuned to the defensive coordinator up in the booth? All seems logical to me given the state of technolgy, just not sure about the rules.

Why not have the defensive guys tuned to the defensive coordinator up in the booth? All seems logical to me given the state of technolgy, just not sure about the rules.

The owners were supposed to consider this one last spring.

-- Providing the sideline-to-helmet communication apparatus so that a defensive coach can communicate with a designated defensive player the way an offensive coach can communicate with the quarterback. The one catch to the proposal is that if the defensive player wearing the helmet with the communication device were to leave the game prematurely through injury or ejection, there would no communication available to his replacement or any other defensive player for the rest of the game.

During a game one of the announcers said the QB helmets were ridiculously expensive like $12,000. I don't understand why the should be so expensive. Don't backup QB's have helmets with radios?

I'm all for wireless communication in helmets...I'm for a cleaner game and 10-15 false starts do not appeal to me as a fan. Home field advantage and noise is great and all, but I hate sloppy games with the officials at the center of the action constantly.

Agreed. The league was talking about try to lower false starts as well. Don't think they did anything though. I always thought calling a FS on a WR whose heel twitched was pretty silly.

-- Reducing false-start penalties by not calling them on receivers who only flinch before a snap rather than take a full step across the line. There were 850 false starts called during the 256 regular-season games played in 2005, an average of slightly more than three per game. "We believe that a lot of those are the flinches," McKay said.

Link

I'm all for wireless communication in helmets...I'm for a cleaner game and 10-15 false starts do not appeal to me as a fan. Home field advantage and noise is great and all, but I hate sloppy games with the officials at the center of the action constantly.

THATS what I don't like....

During a game one of the announcers said the QB helmets were ridiculously expensive like $12,000. I don't understand why the should be so expensive. Don't backup QB's have helmets with radios?

I don't understand that either....Thats the price of a good used car....That doesn't make sense for them to be that exspensive....It should cost less than that to add it to the whole 53 man roster, practice squad...the fans...

Who's buying these gadgets for the NFL? The pentagon?

Even then, there are some games the QB still can't hear what is being said over the helmet radio.

Personally, I don't care for the false start rule at all. I think it gives too much advantage to the defense.

If a player jumps into the nuetral zone...... yeah, go ahead and call that. But if a player rocks back?? I don't get it. The defense is supposed to be watching the ball, and not the player.

On defense, the guy can get in his three point stance, then shift left or right, dig his feet in, reset his hands...... but not on offense.

Heck, the way the rules are now, if I ever see Peyton Manning go under center, then pops up to call an audible, I'd be on his *****...... & argue for a false start.....

Back