Too Much Noise

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by infantrycak, Sep 23, 2006.

1. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Link

I don't recall an official in an NFL game ever throwing a noise flag.

2. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

How odd.

3. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. jgl35

jgl35 Site Contributor

Need an old Saints fan to confirm this. I remember an Eagles- Saints game in the late 60's in the old Sugar bowl where they flaged the Saints fans for noise. They just got louder. Only time I have ever seen that flag.

5. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

No
    Fun
    Leauge

6. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

That's stupid. Soon enough they will all be wearing power armor and each be able to transform into their own type of dinosaur. Do we have to upgrade technology in every part of our culture? Jeeeeez.

An a more serious note.... crowd noise has always been a part of the game and it should remain the same. It is what binds us to the team.... we really are helping them out. Eli probably *****ed about it, that's why they will consider changing it. At this point..... marquee QBs are getting pampered, and it makes me sick. That's a different argument altogether, I guess.

:twocents:

7. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Pretty much :redtowel:

8. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

IIRC, there was a time many moons ago (70s???) that the NFL did throw flags on the fans for noise when the opponets couldn't hear the count. I believe it was a delay of game 5 yarder.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I recall one being thrown 20 or 30 years ago but can't remember if it was college or NFL. Thinking about it--the one time I recall the officials saying something to the crowd it just egged them on rather than quieted them. Pretty freakin' rare either way. Why have the rule on the books if you invite people to violate it? We'd like your porridge, I mean noise, to be just right.

10. WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear Veteran

It happened at the Dome back in the Luv Ya Blue days! Fans got so loud the quarterback backed away several times indicating to the ref that he could not hear. Ref warned the fans which fired us up more and a flag was throw. After the flag was throw the Oiler players had to try and calm the crowd telling us to quit down! I always wondered if the rule had changed or why I never saw these flags anymore.

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

NFL= Golf/Tennis

I don't get it.. that is what homefield advantage is for.. what next.. if a warm weather team has to play up in new england.. they going to move to a neutral site?

oh what maybe that is why the city of houston /bob McNair forked over a bunch of money for a stadium with a retractible roof that the NFL can say when or when it can't be open/closed.

:hmmm:

12. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

It happened at a lot of stadiums back in the late 80's (rough guess) after they adopted the crowd noise rule, especially in the domes. I remember how QBs used to go under center, then back out and shrug to the ref as if to say "I can't hear anything." Refs would warn coaches. Coaches would flap their arms..... There was a year or two when they actually flagged it but they don't really enforce it any more ... either that or the rule was repealed.

13. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Whats up with the bag?

Et to aj?

14. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

IIRC, the noise thing became an issue with the advent of the dome stadiums. When stadiums were open air and typically had one open end, the noise/hearing wasn't an issue. Also, the fans have become a bit more into the game and really get noisy.

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

If only we would have listened to Vince McMahon.

16. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    Giants wont want to go back to Qwest - that was loud again. How many false starts - and against the same player as last year.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

well, it will even things out for our boys when they play away games.......

18. real

real Guest

What if the crowd just won't stop??? I mean what if they give you that penalty...and the crowd keeps cheering??? And is it really fair to penalize the players ??? I mean there could be visiting fans making a lot of noise... What about in the superbowl...which is most of the time pretty neutral??? That...is....ree-dic-u-lus....The best solution would be to just give them the communication thing in their helmets...

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

& that takes the crowd out of the game.

should the NBA put a black curtain behind the backboard when Shaq goes to shoot free throws??

20. real

real Guest

Well...maybe you misunderstood me...I think that if they do anything about it...they should choose option #2....I honestly don't have a problem with all the players having a speaker or hearing device in their helmet....we are advancing as far as the physical and Mental side goes...wo why not provide advances in technology...I actually think that is BRILLIANT!!! Everything can't stay the same forever, and I think eventually it WILL happen....