Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Too good to be true [From Boston Herald]

Señor Stan

El Guapo
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=130754

The Pats can go one of two directions. They can keep Mike Vrabel inside and go after an edge player. San Francisco’s Julian Peterson is one of the few marquee names left on the market and could even represent an upgrade over Willie McGinest. Normally, the Pats would have little to do with him because he’s represented by notorious agent Carl Poston, but Poston has reportedly been suspended by the NFLPA, so maybe there’s a crack in the door. Then again, maybe not, because Peterson is going to command big dollars no matter who his agent is. LaVar Arrington is another big name, but the way he plays (soft, undisciplined) screams out the word: anti-Patriot. Other possibilities include Tommy Polley, who has 3-4 experience, and Houston restricted free agent Antwan Peek, a Pats target in the past.

Sounds to me like this guy either hasn't done his homework, or just really really likes Peek. Antwaan would cost the Pats their first round pick.

Lets see Peek for # 21 ... hmmm... let me think....

Señor Stan said:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=130754

The Pats can go one of two directions. They can keep Mike Vrabel inside and go after an edge player. San Francisco’s Julian Peterson is one of the few marquee names left on the market and could even represent an upgrade over Willie McGinest. Normally, the Pats would have little to do with him because he’s represented by notorious agent Carl Poston, but Poston has reportedly been suspended by the NFLPA, so maybe there’s a crack in the door. Then again, maybe not, because Peterson is going to command big dollars no matter who his agent is. LaVar Arrington is another big name, but the way he plays (soft, undisciplined) screams out the word: anti-Patriot. Other possibilities include Tommy Polley, who has 3-4 experience, and Houston restricted free agent Antwan Peek, a Pats target in the past.

Sounds to me like this guy either hasn't done his homework, or just really really likes Peek. Antwaan would cost the Pats their first round pick.

Lets see Peek for # 21 ... hmmm... let me think....

didn't peek already accept our offer

Accept what offer? Peek was given the mid-level tender garnering a first round pick from whoever offers him a contract he accepts. The Texans would then have a week to decide whether or not they want to match the contract or take the first round pick.

My god no.

I don't think I could bear to see Antwan go. Plus, I spent some good $$ on a custom jersey as well.

I thought it was stated earlier that we retained peek after he accepted our offer....how old is this article from the boston herald??? Cant be too old since it has info on Poston being suspended....can someone confirm the peed situation??

I think we would take the 1st round pick. We could move Babin to DE and fill another hole with that pick. Maybe a MLB or RT

sprtsfanatic said:
I thought it was stated earlier that we retained peek after he accepted our offer....how old is this article from the boston herald??? Cant be too old since it has info on Poston being suspended....can someone confirm the peed situation??

Steele Blue explained it above. He was given a mid level tender. Other teams are free to negotiate with him, but if he signs and offer sheet the Texans have 7 days to either match the offer sheet and Peek remains a Texan or decline in which case they get the other team's 1st round draft pick.

From nfl.com

In order to submit an offer sheet, a new club must have available the required choice or choices, defined as its own or better choices in the applicable rounds, in the 2006 NFL Draft. Offer sheets may be submitted to players in this category no later than 11:59 p.m., New York time, on April 21.

I think that means a team can make an offer until April 21 but we have the right to match it before anything happens. If we don't the team that signs him has to offer us compensation. I don't think we have actually signed Peek, just made the tender on him.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/afc-restricted

sprtsfanatic said:
can someone confirm the peed situation??
No, but I'm sure he changed pants.

I've been thinking and....I don't know what I would do. A first or a young up-and-comer? A first round pick can be valuable, especially when it can be used on Mangold, but they can be a big bust as well. Or maybe we owe New England for the Jeff Bagwell trade.

TEXANS84 said:
I spent some good $$ on a custom jersey as well.

That is about the sorriest excuse for refusing a first round pick I have ever heard. I feel your pain though... I had a similar experience with a Will Clark jersey once (it was a long time ago).

So we're looking at having 4 first round picks now? Ours, Denvers two, and now NE's?? What kind of cap hell are we running into?

Hey, It's obvious that he's my favorite player. There's no denying that. I just truly feel that he's something special that wasn't utilized properly by the previous coaching staff.

If you go back and watch game tape of the Titans/Texans home game in 04', you'll see that both of his blitzes/sacks where he just burst off the side (and eventually had to put two blockers on him) was when he was crouched down in a DE stance. So I'm excited to see him in his natural position...one where his main and only priority is to get to the quarterback.

So yeah, I don't want to lose him. And it doesn't stem from my jersey on him, it was used and said as sarcasm.

Coach C. said:
For a first round Pick Peek would be gone
I agree, but I just don't see it happening. At #17 in 2003, the Broncos managed to land DJ Williams, an immediate starter.

But do you trust Casserly to draft a quality player that late in the 1st round?

TEXANS84 said:
I agree, but I just don't see it happening. At #17 in 2003, the Broncos managed to land DJ Williams, an immediate starter.

But do you trust Casserly to draft a quality player that late in the 1st round?
he has yet to fail to draft a quality player in the first. All of his first picks are good. Before you say Babin, remember, it takes at least 3 years for a DE to go to OLB. Travis Johnson was not great, but being a 3-4 DL is tough for a rookie.

I would not do it. TEXANS84: When did you change your sig back to Peek?:)

This would be very interesting. I think at 21, it would be very hard to refuse, but it all depends on how much faith we have in Babin. Also, we dont really have another DE should someone get hurt. Both options have positives and negatives, but if Kubes and Smith beleive Peek has what it takes to be a good NFL DE, I would stick with him.

PS- IF he has a break out year we are going to have to pay out the *** for him because he will be an UFA at Defensive End, one of the highest paid positions...ouch

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/

Also, the Boston Herald speculated on Thursday that the Patriots could rekindle interest in pursuing Texans restricted free agent Antwan Peek. Upon follow-up questioning of the paper by HoustonProFootball.com, however, the Patriots are not likely to give up the first round pick required to sign Peek to an offer sheet.

Hum..... I dont think the Patriots would really give us their first round pick for Peek. Would be nice though. Could use it on a Tight end or a Wr. Or better yet .. what could they trade us for Peek?:drool:

TexansR#1 said:

Also, the Boston Herald speculated on Thursday that the Patriots could rekindle interest in pursuing Texans restricted free agent Antwan Peek. Upon follow-up questioning of the paper by HoustonProFootball.com, however, the Patriots are not likely to give up the first round pick required to sign Peek to an offer sheet.

Hum..... I dont think the Patriots would really give us their first round pick for Peek. Would be nice though. Could use it on a Tight end or a Wr. Or better yet .. what could they trade us for Peek?:drool:
How about a second or third round pick.

I'd rather stick with Peek. Knowing our luck, Peek:superman: would turn out to be a stud and the #1 would turn out to be a dud.

TEXANS84 said:
My god no.

I don't think I could bear to see Antwan go. Plus, I spent some good $$ on a custom jersey as well.

T84, do like I did! I bought a custom jersey with my name and high school football number on it! They can't cut me off the team!

Bobby 119C

TEXANS84 said:
My god no.

Amen to that. I will be pissed to see us cut the guy loose and he goes and runs up a modest 8-10 sacks somewhere in a real defense.

Hold on, Antwan ... we've got a real D for you this year.

If it's true...then the value of their pick in this draft is too much to pass on.

At the 21 spot, the following may still be there:

OL-Justice, Winston, Giles
CB-Cromartie, Hill
Safety- Simpson
LB-Greenway

And...there could be two DE's still there (Wimbley, Kiwanuka that might be an upgrade over Peek)

We put that #1 pick on Peek, to protect him. To keep him on our team. Surely no one would give us a #1 for Peek. & Peek is one of the guys I'd really like no matter what team he is on. But for another #1........ don't let the door hit you...

It would be easier for the pats to take Peek who is already experienced in the 3-4 than to draft a tweener, and convert him...... But I don't know if that is worth a #1 for them.

Now, they may ask us to trade peak & jopru for their #1

Frills said:
I'd trade Peek for Lewis TE out of UCLA straight up

Some mock drafts have Lewis falling out of the 1st round. If I were the Texans, and if we don't sign Putzier, I'd draft him with our first pick in the 2nd round.

TexansR#1 said:

How about one of their TE's. Is it Graham and Watson? I Know they released Fauria.
How about one of their CB's?

Give me a young player now, and let our coaches work with him so a few years from now when we make a playoff push he'll be there and we won't be trying to replace an older player for the push

if this happened id be happy- i see where the pro-peek guys are coming from, but we dont need him with babin around..think of what we could pick up with #21- Pope,CJ,Moss, Cromartie(drool),hill,winston, justice, mangold or a safety- any of which would be good players to fill our needs

need him??

I don't know if we need him...... we will have to figure out a good rotation to keep these guys fresh in the 4th........

You guys are dreaming! There is no way in He!! that NE will give us a 1st rd pick for Peek. Peek can't even rush the passer with results. If AJ and Drob are the only two that would command the 1st rd tag.

TexansJunkE said:
You guys are dreaming! There is no way in He!! that NE will give us a 1st rd pick for Peek. Peek can't even rush the passer with results. If AJ and Drob are the only two that would command the 1st rd tag.

Unless NE sees something in Peek that is worth a 1st round pick. Even then...I can't see NE willing giving up a 1st round pick.

bigTEXan8 said:
Unless NE sees something in Peek that is worth a 1st round pick. Even then...I can't see NE willing giving up a 1st round pick.

I agree, it won't happen, but if it we did somehow get a 1st round pick for Peek this year I'd fall over with joy...

i honestly doubt this is going to happen...new england is going to look at the 21st pick and go...ok we can get kiwanuka who is very similiar to mcginest or they can get wimbley or manny lawson...so i think they'll stick with what they got and then draft well like they always do

The first rd pick would put us in too big of a cap threat situation. And i wouldnt give him up for a 2nd or 3rd.

Texas said:
The first rd pick would put us in too big of a cap threat situation. And i wouldnt give him up for a 2nd or 3rd.

After signing our free agents we are still $25 million under the cap. We signed two first round picks in 2004 and it worked out OK.

texan279 said:
After signing our free agents we are still $25 million under the cap. We signed two first round picks in 2004 and it worked out OK.
Where are you getting your cap numbers from because I dont think that is even close.

Texas said:
I would definetly give him up for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. First off I think he is the most overated player on our roster. Second if we did get RFA Nate Burelson they would kind of cancel each other out so the way I am looking at it is Peek for Burelson. Which I would do in a heartbeat.

texan279 said:

Although 25 million looks pretty attractive, we only show 29 players salaries on hpf's list.

Bubbajwp said:
I thought I saw on another website that we were only 12 million under and that was before we signed any FA im going to look for website. I would definetly trust Houston pro football before most other websites when it comes to the Texans.

12 million under before the cap went up probably

Losing Peek would save us two personal foul penalties per game. Of course we'd let him go for a first round pick. If he stays I hope GK has the guts to bench him the first time he hits the other team's QB five yards out of bounds -

Back