Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

TJ Yates

Why's it gotta be like that?

Not everybody is going to agree with our opinions..... not everybody is going to believe the Texans are the best team ever.

Just not going to happen.

Oh, so true, so true. Folks seem to have already forgotten about all the rest of our seasons when no one took us seriously, they laughed at us, we were considered a soft spot in their schedule, and all the TV announcers picked against us. All of a sudden one season we finally start kicking ass and it's like "How come everyone doesn't love us?".

It's because no matter which team you are, there are folks on TV that don't like you. I've seen TV talking heads saying things about how Green Bay can be beaten and Tebow won't last long in the playoffs. No team is off limits no matter what they've accomplished.

Not everybody is going to agree with our opinions..... not everybody is going to believe the Texans are the best team ever.

No, Deion Sanders can eat dick. It's not that I want Deion - or anyone else for that matter - to agree with my opinions, it's just that Deion always comes off as the most uneducated out of any of the talking heads. Any topic, anytime. He just sort of comes off like he's jiving and not thinking.

Oddly enough, the same with Michael Irving. Thank god that Aikmen and Moose are doing pretty good jobs in the booth, or it would leave one to believe there is no life after Dallas.

Lots of Yates love on NFLN, once again, Deion Sanders can eat a dick

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d82510509/Grading-the-young-crop-of-QBs

Very true.
and up until T.J. pulled off the win in Cincy last week, some of us around here had him as "incomplete"; as in not enough info on him to make an informed assessment.

So I don't have a real issue with Deion giving an "Incomplete". It's not good. It's not bad. It's "I don't know yet". And that's what anyone with any sense should say when they aren't sure.

Come to think of it, that's a lot more intelligent than some of the things said when Leinart first got hurt. Remember all those, "they don't have a chance with a 3rd string QB" assessments when they were predicting how we'd do against Atlanta?

Primetime tries to be the 'wittiest guy in the room' too much. I think his insight on certain aspects of the game are great, especially the angles that he is experienced in analyzing. But too often, he tries too hard with his comments. He tries to get cute with it, and I think it ultimately hurts his credibility as an analyst.

That being said, I don't have a problem with what he said about Yates. I do not think he's watching entire games, though. He sees highlights and seems to read what the producers tell him.

Sapp, on the other hand, is definitely watching the entire game and you can tell with his comments. And I'm not just saying this because he likes us. :D

2r7390z.jpg

Actually, he told the others not to trust Yates. There is a difference.

They're grown men though.... Do you think they care that Deion told them that? Come on now. We're getting way too worked up when people say anything close to negative about the Texans. Its one thing to disagree with them, but its another to get angry and upset about it. I could care less what most people outside of my family and boss say. And most of the time I don't care what he says.

No, Deion Sanders can eat dick. It's not that I want Deion - or anyone else for that matter - to agree with my opinions, it's just that Deion always comes off as the most uneducated out of any of the talking heads. Any topic, anytime. He just sort of comes off like he's jiving and not thinking.

Oddly enough, the same with Michael Irving. Thank god that Aikmen and Moose are doing pretty good jobs in the booth, or it would leave one to believe there is no life after Dallas.

Exactly. Irvin and Sanders have ruined how good NFLN used to be. Which is sad because NFLN has only been around for a few years.

Exactly. Irvin and Sanders have ruined how good NFLN used to be. Which is sad because NFLN has only been around for a few years.

Different crowd I guess. I love both Irvin & Sanders on NFLN... I think they made it better.

I'm more or less indifferent to Deion, but Irvin, Sapp and Dukes can all be insufferable at times. Irvin is the worst.

I'm more or less indifferent to Deion, but Irvin, Sapp and Dukes can all be insufferable at times. Irvin is the worst.

Only person I don't really is Dukes. Irvin can be annoying, but he's right on many things, he's just too loud. They Gameday Crew just looks like they have a lot of fun, which is why its enjoyable for me to watch. Sapp is the best tho, especially when he's disagreeing with someone.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/foot...07&format=&page=1&listingType=nfl#articleFull

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — At the NFL draft combine last February, T.J. Yates was one of three college quarterbacks brought in not to be specifically evaluated but to spend their hours throwing passes to players who were potentially high on the wish list of various franchises.

Yates, who passed for 3,418 yards and 19 touchdowns as a senior at North Carolina, was in a throwing group with future Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, who was getting the microscope treatment while Yates was doing what amounted to football grunt work.

The two quarterbacks made some small talk, then Newton went on to become the No. 1 pick in the draft while Yates became the 152nd pick, a fifth-round choice of the Houston Texans [team stats], home of quarterbacks Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart.

On Sunday in Reliant Stadium, they will start against each other when the Panthers visit the Texans, who locked down the franchise’s first playoff berth last Sunday when Yates — the third-team quarterback three weeks ago — tossed a six-yard touchdown pass with two seconds remaining to beat Cincinnati 20-19, sparking a celebration across southeast Texas.

This capitulates the essence of why normal people become transformed into draft geeks, like me. Even the smallest of details can lead to fascinating & compelling match-ups.

Yates evolution says a lot about his character & work ethic, two things very difficult to scout unless you have direct access to camps, workouts & interviews. So it says alot about the Texans scouting department directed by Mike Maccagnan (unsure of regional scout responsible for area) yet these gentlemen go unnoticed, hardly ever mentioned, so props to them for offering Kubiak & Phillips a banquet of talent to select from :chef:

Alan's Blog

Kubiak's mentorship gives Yates confidence

We've known for a while that Texans head coach Gary Kubiak is a quarterback's coach.

But we haven't seen such a stark example of what Kubiak can do with a young quarterback until this T.J. Yates thing started taking shape last week against Atlanta.

These two guys seem to be made for each other.

“It’s awesome," Yates replied when asked after the game yesterday how helpful is it to have a head coach who was a former quarterback.

"During timeouts, (Kubiak) is always filling my head with reminders and little things that help me calm down," said Yates. "He’s sees the game through a quarterback’s mind. He’s knows what I’m thinking out there. It really helps because he has the right thing to say, which gives me confidence.”

Yates gave a prime example of how Kubiak's tutoring paid off in a big way.

On the Texans game winning drive Sunday at Cincinnati, Yates converted a huge 3rd and 15 by scrambling for 17 yards and a first down in Bengals territory with less than a minute remaining.

“On that scramble, (Kubiak) said if they were playing two (safeties) deep, that I should just take off," said Yates. "That really helped me to make that decision quicker.”

Many of us have been critical of Kubiak over the years for being too much of a quarterbacks coach/offensive coordinator and not enough of a head coach.

There were questions about whether Kubiak had the right persona to be the head guy.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/kubiak-s-mentorship-gives-yates-confidence

#1 - Like many of us have said before, no matter the talent, rookie QBs just do not fare well in the NFL. There are a few rare exceptions; but for the most part the good...no, even the great QBs have performed like, well...like rookies!

#2 - The biggest stat of all for a QB is wins. After that, I would say his QB rating is a pretty big stat, because it shows how efficient he is with the ball. He can have a sorry defense and he could be screwed; he could lack offensive weapons or poor coaching and he's screwed; he could even have poor leadership skills, but he can rise above that and be efficient, which goes a long way towards maturity and his future development (one would hope).

#3 - The chances of TJ Yates making a big splash in the NFL are slim. The chances are even slimmer right now of Yates to take the Texans to the Super Bowl, let alone winning a playoff game. Yet, for what it's worth, I'm still tracking him against his peers.

This time through 4 rookie starts.

Cam Newton (1-3)
1386 Yards
QB Rating = 84.5

Blaine Gabbert (0-4)
665 Yards
QB Rating = 69.2

Christian Ponder (1-3)
856 Yards
QB Rating = 66.9

Andy Dalton (2-2)
868 Yards
QB Rating = 76.9

TJ Yates (2-2)
832 Yards
QB Rating = 80.8

* Bonus * Just for grins :)
Matt Leinart (0-4)
845 Yards
QB Rating = 68.8

It's interesting and should not be avoided that both Dalton and Yates have more complete teams behind them, albeit Cincy has a more talented group of recievers to throw to over the Texans.

#3 - The chances of TJ Yates making a big splash in the NFL are slim. The chances are even slimmer right now of Yates to take the Texans to the Super Bowl, let alone winning a playoff game. Yet, for what it's worth, I'm still tracking him against his peers

I'd like to see how he compares to. Samchex as a rookie. #2 defense, #2 rushing team, or something like that, all the way to the AFC Championship.

I'd like to see how he compares to. Samchex as a rookie. #2 defense, #2 rushing team, or something like that, all the way to the AFC Championship.

In 4 rookie starts:

Mark Sanchez (3-1)
744 Yards
QB Rating = 71.2

In fact, for the whole year he had a 63 QB Rating. But in the playoffs Sanchez, in 3 games had a stellar rating of 92.7

In 4 rookie starts:

TJ Yates (2-2)
832 Yards
QB Rating = 80.8

Mark Sanchez (3-1)
744 Yards
QB Rating = 71.2

In fact, for the whole year he had a 63 QB Rating. But in the playoffs Sanchez, in 3 games had a stellar rating of 92.7

& Sanchez wasn't asked to do a whole lot. It was the running game & the defense that got them to the AFC Championship game 2 years in a row.

Mark had to make some good throws, on some good decisions, but those games weren't on his shoulders. That's what we've got to do with Yates.... it's not protecting him or limiting the play book, it's helping him.

This is a team game, the team is going to have to be bigger than the QB.

Last edited:
& Sanchez wasn't asked to do a whole lot. It was the running game & the defense that got them to the AFC Championship game 2 years in a row.

Mark had to make some good throws, on some good decisions, but those games weren't on his shoulders. That's what we've got to do with Sanchez.... it's not protecting him or limiting the play book, it's helping him.
This is a team game, the team is going to have to be bigger than the QB.

If we play the jets i hope we dont take ur advice :whip:

I was wondering if anyone else noticed on our last drive of the Indy game when we had a 3rd down to convert to basically ice the game and kick a go-ahead FG or TD, basically to keep the ball in our hands to win the game. The camera made a quick glance to the Texans sidelines where you could see Matt L. get up from the bench as to make his way to the sidelines to support Yates and the offense. As he is getting up he taps Schaub on the shoulder and motions to him to get up and go to the sideline but Matt Schaub declines......

I was wondering if anyone else noticed on our last drive of the Indy game when we had a 3rd down to convert to basically ice the game and kick a go-ahead FG or TD, basically to keep the ball in our hands to win the game. The camera made a quick glance to the Texans sidelines where you could see Matt L. get up from the bench as to make his way to the sidelines to support Yates and the offense. As he is getting up he taps Schaub on the shoulder and motions to him to get up and go to the sideline but Matt Schaub declines......

I didn't see it, but if it's true, I would bet it is because of his foot.

I've had multiple foot injuries and I can tell you, being on a plane during them HURTS! Causes all kinds of swelling, etc.

I don't even know why he is traveling with the team? He should be in bed with that leg up at all times.

If you are implying anything that is just wrong.

Come on EL T!! MS should have been HOME, competely off that foot, as ordered by his Docs, but, he went to support his team anyway! NO WEIGHT bearing at all for several months, so I heard, might be weeks. BUT, anyway, to imply the MS is not behind Yates, is just WRONG!!

The only thing this implies is that Matt Leinart, despite his good nature, isn't the brightest bulb on the sideline. It kind of reminds me of when Joe Biden asked the paralyzed guy to stand up and take a bow.

I didn't imply anything. I asked if yall noticed that. I'm quite aware that Matt S. has helped Yates through this time and then some.

Houston Texans Twitter

@TJ_Yates: "Everybody’s got complete & total faith in ourselves in this locker room.We’ve got all the confidence in the world in each other"
1 hour ago

I hope that "Everybody's got complete and total faith in ourselves" is not left in the locker room.

I didn't imply anything. I asked if yall noticed that. I'm quite aware that Matt S. has helped Yates through this time and then some.

That's it, no more MB for you ET... shouldn't you be praying for the team again, they're going to need it. :D
It seemed to work, until lately. Somebody's been slacking.

We could be in worse shape............the Cowboys, in light of Romo's injury, just called up their 3rd QB from their practice squad..............35 years old..........from the practice squad..........:chef:

anyone ever notice that on A LOT of the play action passes Foster goes one way and Yates hands off to air i have seen this atleast 10 times, who are we trying to fool handing the ball off to the air, he cant do nothing.

he better play well or else im gonna be booing his a** 7 rows back from the field..

since our team has done what they have with what they have i say we try to keep the boo birds away from the stadium regadless of they outcome. Would love to see the home crowd show support even if we lose. How rare would that be.

We could be in worse shape............the Cowboys, in light of Romo's injury, just called up their 3rd QB from their practice squad..............35 years old..........from the practice squad..........:chef:

Stop challenging the Universe. It has more resources than we do.

anyone ever notice that on A LOT of the play action passes Foster goes one way and Yates hands off to air i have seen this atleast 10 times, who are we trying to fool handing the ball off to the air, he cant do nothing.

Actually, it does. Just seeing the ball out there like that can draw some guys up. But in a lot of those cases what's happening is that Arian is supposed to go one way but he sees that a blitzer is coming from another direction, so he bails on the play fake to pick up the blitzer.

A couple of years ago, some of our running backs would go through with the play fake and then struggle to rush around to where the blitzer was coming from. A few times, Schaub got crushed on those plays and sometimes he just got hit by the RB trying to get over into position.

I think Schaub now reads that blitzer and changes his fake. But Yates isn't there, yet. He just makes the fake he was supposed to make whether or not the RB is going to be there.

Actually, it does. Just seeing the ball out there like that can draw some guys up. But in a lot of those cases what's happening is that Arian is supposed to go one way but he sees that a blitzer is coming from another direction, so he bails on the play fake to pick up the blitzer.

A couple of years ago, some of our running backs would go through with the play fake and then struggle to rush around to where the blitzer was coming from. A few times, Schaub got crushed on those plays and sometimes he just got hit by the RB trying to get over into position.

I think Schaub now reads that blitzer and changes his fake. But Yates isn't there, yet. He just makes the fake he was supposed to make whether or not the RB is going to be there.

true, i thought i had heard something about that but YOU made me realize that Schaub prob adjusted and faked the other way.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Yates. He is cheap and in the final year of his deal. But does BOB want what he can offer?

It will be interesting to see what they do with Yates. He is cheap and in the final year of his deal. But does BOB want what he can offer?

Seems to me he fits the mold more than Keenum. So maybe it becomes Yates, Draft pick, vet.

TJ will forever been a footnote in Houston a big one on that he was the first QB to win a Playoff game for dem Texans

Anyone ever notice Yates looks like the guy from the Sonic commercials?

mqdefault.jpg

Dudes real name from the commercial is even TJ.

TJ will forever been a footnote in Houston a big one on that he was the first QB to win a Playoff game for dem Texans

I don't kow about you, but this is not what I will remember Yates most for. That is reserved for that game winning drive against the Bengals that secured our first playoff appearance. That was just awesome. Not only because of what it meant, but he also looked like a real promising QB in that game...

Back