This team is a lesser version of the Run-N-Shoot Oilers

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Sep 28, 2011.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

Schaub in the role of Warren Moon (lots of passing yards every year), Tate looks very Lorenzo White to me, multiple WR sets and various ways to use them, and a shaky defense that can't stay off the field.

The only difference is that Buddy Ryan came along and shored up the defense, and it made the Oilers dangerous on a new level. Wade is trying to shore up the defense in the same manner.

I dunno. I just watched us in the shoot-out with the Saints, and I watched #44 rumbling through there making some nice runs, and AJ and other WRs/TEs lighting it up with Schaub slinging the ball....and it made me remember the Oilers. Care to discuss? I was a young'un in the Run-N-Shoot era, but it looks eerily similar when I remember watching them play on TV.

Oh, and there was this coach back then who stood pretty stoically on the sideline and was revered as being a genius with an offense. (Sigh.......)

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Well, they don't really run as much RnS as other teams. The Pats are basically a Run-n-Shoot team, for instance. There's not much difference between those old Oiler teams and the Pats of the last 4-5 years. The Texans don't really go that route. I kind of get what you're saying in terms of feel, but I liken this team to the SB-winning Saints, although to a lesser degree. They have a powerful offense (though not as good as the Saints that year), and they have a pretty poor defense in terms of yardage, but they get turnovers. I think at the end of this year, you'll see the Texans have quite a few turnovers and have won games because of it. I don't think the Texans are good enough to go to the SB, however. It's a weird league though, so you never know.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

The Oilers made the playoffs 7 straight years back then. Minor difference.

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yup, which is why I wisely prefaced my title with the word "LESSER."

It's a knockoff version, IMO. Except in my opinion Warren Moon runs circles around Matt Schaub. He had velocity, timing, accuracy, and split-second decision-making that Matt does not possess to the same degree.

I remember the Oilers defense being dominant and downright nasty. We knocked out Jim Kelly in the Astrodome toward the end of the regular season, only to have Frank Reich beat us in the playoffs as a result of Kelly being out. That's how it went down, right? I don't see our current defense being able to hold a candle to the old Oilers House of Pain.

5. GP

GP Go Texans!

You're correct, sir, on the issue of "run" in the Run-N-Shoot vs. the run we use today in Kubiak's offense. I agree.

I remember the Oilers using the screen pass (Lorenzo White, and then later Gary Brown) as a form of the "run" and they used the screen pass with DEVASTATING results. If White or Brown got their hands on the ball in a screen pass, it was almost a guaranteed 20+ yard play, the linemen would destroy defenders and the two RBs, respectively, would bowl over anybody remaining in their way. That was my favorite play back then: The screen pass! You could just see the defense go "Oh shit..." when it swing out there.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Every time I think of the Chuck and Duck I think of 35-3 ..... :choke:

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

The Oilers in my memory (LOL) were much more focused on spreading the ball to WRs than Texans who basically use AJ then TEs. Texans much deeper and stronger in running game and divide the ball much more evenly. Oilers often used 4 WRs. I prefer Texans offense. I'd like to see Texans defense more aggressive like Oilers. Seemed Bud's philosophy was to put "hats" on the ball. If away from the ball, block someone. I don't see that with this team..yet.

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Texans are nothing like the R&S Oilers despite the superficial resemblence flashed during the Saints game.

9. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

This. So the question is what is more painful, not making the playoffs for 7 years (10 in our case) or making the playoffs for 7 straight years and choking once there?

10. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Choking. Was there for all 7 of those years. It was heart breaking.

11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The R&S Oilers did not have a TE or FB on the roster. They were unable to consistently run the ball, which is why they blew a 33 point lead in a playoff game.

Buddy Ryan helped us for one season, after the 35-3 debacle and firing of Jim Eddy. The next season started 1-4, iirc, and they they won 11 in a row to make the playoffs.

I'm not seeing the comparisons, from either a success standpoint (i.e. 7 years of playoff appearances) or from a strategy standpoint. The run and shoot is completely different offense than the west coast.

12. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Keeping in comparisons. You're starting a team. Who do you take?

Jack Pardee w/ Kevin Gilbride or Gary Kubiak?

Buddy Ryan or Wade Phillips?

Warren Moon or Matt Schaub?

Givens/Jeffires/Duncan/Hill or Andre Johnson?

Lorenzo White or Arian Foster?

Bruce Matthews or entire current starting Texans o line?

Al Smith or Demeco Ryans?

Ray Childress or JJ Watt?

Chris Dishman or Johnathan Joseph?

Al Del Greco or Neil Rackers?

13. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

In either case, as much as I loved the old R&S Oiler days, as far as position comparisons then and now........believe me I effing LOVED me some Heywood Jeffries and Ernest Givens (who I used to endlessly torch people on some Tecmo Super Bowl back in the day!!!)....but I'll trade both for The Manchild Andre Johnson....beater of punk ass hoes named Cortland Innegan and dominator of defenses!!!!!!

In fact....imagine if 'Dre had been on the team then...... :drool:

/end

14. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

1. Pardee & Gilbride but no R&S offense, I KNOW they can both coach other systems.

2. Buddy Ryan

3. Warren Moon.

4. Andre Johnson

5. Arian Foster

6. Bruce Matthews

7. DeMeco Ryans (pre-injury)

8. Flip a coin (between Childress or Watt). You can't go wrong.

9. Joseph over Dishman. I always hated Dishman

10. Rackers, never a fan of "The Geek".

15. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

My answers, Hookem!

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

In blue

17. Texan_Bill

Hellz to the no with Pardee

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

[​IMG]

Him always jacking with his headset!

18. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

the headset that wasn't plugged in.

19. Texan_Bill

Right!! LMAO!

Funny how we remember stuff like that.

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Pardee got the Oilers much further than what we've seen from this organization. I was not a fan of the R & S, but damn, I don't want to suck anymore.