Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The one perfect answer to the Pro Bowl.

brakos82

Yaters Gonna Yate.
We make it a game show.

The NFL is apparently willing to try anything to fix the Pro Bowl. Earlier this week Albert Breer of NFL Network reported that the league is discussing game show-like elements, such as paying out prizes during play, in order to “make it so every single minute of the game has some sort of thing that’s going to keep fans interested and engaged.” Breer also said the NFL doesn’t “feel the need to keep the integrity of what a normal football game is.”

You know things are bad when the strict, image-obsessed NFL is willing to tweak its flawless product. (There’s also talk of designating AFC and NFC team captains, who would then pick their teams. But let’s not go crazy here.) The status of this rumored game show scenario is yet to be determined, but if they decide to press their luck (and perhaps be more proactive in controlling the pet population), the rules would more or less write themselves.

It's going to turn into a Madden tournament just so no one gets hurt. Bonus points for players that bring their own remotes.

Dear Commissioner Rodger Goddell:

The Pro-bowl is a means of telling individual players that they had noteworthy seasons and should be proud for having excelled at their game. Your predacessor Peter Roselle decided to effectively give all of those players who distinguished themselves an all expenses paid trip to Hawaii. This trip is written off on the league's taxes because these players square off and play an exhibition game for bragging rights.

The purpose of this game is not, has never been nor will it EVER be generation of revenue. It's an excuse to fly players to Hawaii and to allow the people of the 50th state who wouldn't otherwise get to SEE an NFL game in person a chance to see the league's best.
The fact that you seem oblivious to all of the aforementioned illustrates precisely why so many players and fans view you as being an imbecile who would better serve the game of football as an anonymous, block headed schmuck in the stands rather than being the commissioner of a game which you OBVIOUSLY don't understand as either a fan or as a businessman.

Respectfully,
Dreadford Headdington III
Houston, Texas

P.S. Tom Brady isn't the only QB in the NFL princess. Players getting hefty fines for barely brushing past him while Matt Schaub damn near gets his neck broken in every other game and those doing it to him NOT even being penalized doesn't set too well with us down here in Texas. Enforce the rules evenly or get rid of them.

I love your post Dread. MSR.

I seem to be saying MSR a lot lately. I guess I need to go rep some folks just so I can rep the posts I want to. Which, of course, takes away from the meaning of rep, which in itself doesn't have all that much meaning.

You just have to wonder sometimes if to much thought is put into meaningless endeavors. Such thought exercises will turn us into our dumb ass Congress.

I keep hearing the ProBowl TV ratings are always very good.

I keep hearing the players enjoy participating in the ProBowl (those that do make the trip).

Why are we messing with it?

Because it's not "competitive" Duh... it doesn't mean anything. Doesn't make it any less entertaining. Well, I don't watch it, because it's not competitive, but that's me. I'm fine with that part of the universe not revolving around me.

But it would upset me royally if my favorite player has to miss a single game of the upcoming season because of some "injury" in this meaningless game.

But the one thing they need to do to make it better, is move it to Houston.

Goodell wants to change it for the sake of changing it. He's done nothing but tinker non-stop with the game and the league since he was put in the position. We're just lucky he hasn't been able to break it yet.

Worst. Commissioner. Ever.

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched the pro bowl.
I might watch if they had some kind of skills challenge

I don't usually watch the whole game, but if I'm around a TV and remember it's on I tune in and check it out....

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched the pro bowl.
I might watch if they had some kind of skills challenge

MTV used to have one the week of the pro bowl, same for college players. I would love a skills competition

Make the entire thing a skills competition, and prescribe each different event the same amount of points (meaning that the linemen will make up the ground they lose in the 40 yard dash in the strongest hit tackle bag challenge).

Each player in the pro bowl gets prescribed a small-middle sized town from somewhere in the USA. The overall winner of the Pro-Bowl earns his representing town a pre-season game for the next year, and $500,000 to a charity of his choice.

Boom - guaranteed viewership in 90 small towns throughout the nation - a chance for the NFL to showcase it's caring side through the player's selected charities and football fans who want to see the players face off against each other are appeased.

Pro Bowl saved.

I'm off to copyright this idea. And get a pair of Mega Watt sneakers saying 'Pay Me Roger' on the heel.

I think creating bounties would increase fan interest and make it mandatory for all players to attend.

36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-JFoV.gif

even a skills challenge players would be afraid to get hurt tweekin somethin

but don't they do a skills challenge every year anyway

I for one say they should have a madden gaming tourment were the players play that would bring in some younger audience intrest IMO

Back